HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#57: Flyers @ Panthers - Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
As one of the main provokers in last night's GDT, I want to ask if there is a widespread consensus about not saying the S word. Personally, I think the superstition thing is ridiculous and I'm a goalie! and I figured since we had been so hush-hush about it for the majority of the year to no avail, it's time to be bold. However, if several people have a genuine negative reaction to seeing it in a GDT, I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone.
I'm a goalie too. On occasions when I have had one going I would talk about my shut out to the opposing team after saves, just to be a dick.

But this is something different, something cosmic. The entire fanbase's collective complaints are radiating out into the ether of the universe and somehow finding their way onto the ice. I'm sure of it....

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Richards' facial expression is like: "Calm down, dude. It was only a goal."
Pretty sure he's not even looking at the guy.

Funny pic tho.

As for the superstition issue, it doesn't matter. We were a last minute bounce from blowing the lead, and there's complaining about the superstitious reason for not getting a shutout? We might not get one, but if that pisses you off, blame the players.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I'm a goalie too. On occasions when I have had one going I would talk about my shut out to the opposing team after saves, just to be a dick.

But this is something different, something cosmic. The entire fanbase's collective complaints are radiating out into the ether of the universe and somehow finding their way onto the ice. I'm sure of it....

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Miss Mess

Watching the highlights, it really does seem like the crowd is 90% Flyer fans.

What was Nodl doing in the crease to begin with in that one play? Not that I'm complaining haha

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
As one of the main provokers in last night's GDT, I want to ask if there is a widespread consensus about not saying the S word. Personally, I think the superstition thing is ridiculous and I'm a goalie! and I figured since we had been so hush-hush about it for the majority of the year to no avail, it's time to be bold. However, if several people have a genuine negative reaction to seeing it in a GDT, I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone.
I'm not normally as brash with the whole shutout thing when I see it mentioned in the GDT's, but just about the entire thread is about either saying the word, or saying it in some cryptic form, and the fact that we had one going up until the 3rd is frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
And when people become even more fanatic about ridiculous superstitions, people will then purposely say the word shutout just to spite you.
I'll just kind of relate it to an OCD type thing. You like things the way you like them, and when people purposely or accidentally **** it up, it still irritates you regardless. Now I'm not blaming anyone for ruining the shutout, it's just one of those things that really bothers me when I hear it, and it especially pisses me off when they do it on purpose. I'm sure there's been quite a couple times in your life when somebody has said or done something on purpose to piss you off. It kinda feels like that to me.

Quote:
There is no logical argument around this. It is just a superstition. I hope you also don't stay clear of black cats, never go under ladders, never open an umbrella indoors, never break a mirror.... This list almost never ends.
Not everybody has surperstitions for the same thing. Everything you listed above, I have no problem with, but when I say I'm superstitious in everyday life, it's little things. Like for example, I got in an accident back in October and Postal Service just so happened to be playing on my ipod. Up til now, I won't listen to them while I'm driving. I also won't wear the exact outfit I wore that day. I have a routine for walking out of my front door in the morning, or right before I go to bed I always have to crack my back. My list continues but for some people it may just end at one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking.. like, he's thinking, "Woah. Stalker".
Could also be a "****. If that's how this guy acts, I can only imagine what Kambo would do."

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:52 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I'm not normally as brash with the whole shutout thing when I see it mentioned in the GDT's, but just about the entire thread is about either saying the word, or saying it in some cryptic form, and the fact that we had one going up until the 3rd is frustrating.
We say a lot of stupid things during the thread. If Carter scores it is obviously a blow out...

The team has very often played soft in the 3rd with a lead. Start critiquing them instead.

Quote:
I'll just kind of relate it to an OCD type thing. You like things the way you like them, and when people purposely or accidentally **** it up, it still irritates you regardless. Now I'm not blaming anyone for ruining the shutout, it's just one of those things that really bothers me when I hear it, and it especially pisses me off when they do it on purpose. I'm sure there's been quite a couple times in your life when somebody has said or done something on purpose to piss you off. It kinda feels like that to me.

Yea and instead of trying to solve the problem to someone's OCD, everyone should conform to it and turn the light switch off and on 32 times every time we leave our rooms.

There have been many times people did something to piss me off out of spite, but I admit it mostly had to do with my own stubbornness.

Quote:
Not everybody has surperstitions for the same thing. Everything you listed above, I have no problem with, but when I say I'm superstitious in everyday life, it's little things. Like for example, I got in an accident back in October and Postal Service just so happened to be playing on my ipod. Up til now, I won't listen to them while I'm driving. I also won't wear the exact outfit I wore that day. I have a routine for walking out of my front door in the morning, or right before I go to bed I always have to crack my back. My list continues but for some people it may just end at one thing.
Well the Ipod thing actually has some credibility. It is actually Illegal in many places (not sure on each state/province/country) to listen to a device like an Ipods/walkmen etc.. while driving.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
The team has very often played soft in the 3rd with a lead. Start critiquing them instead.
Never said I didn't.

Quote:
Yea and instead of trying to solve the problem to someone's OCD, everyone should conform to it and turn the light switch off and on 32 times every time we leave our rooms.

There have been many times people did something to piss me off out of spite, but I admit it mostly had to do with my own stubbornness.
I'm only going to say you took my whole problem with the shutout thing way too seriously. I'm not expecting everyone to conform to it, but I'm also not the first person to complain about it either. I was pretty simply put, just making my opinion known, and you started on about how superstitions are for lack of better words stupid and pointless, or that's what I at least got out of it. That may be your opinion, but I guess when you can't see where other people are coming from with theirs, that's just being and ignorant.... and yeah, stubborn.

Quote:
Well the Ipod thing actually has some credibility. It is actually Illegal in many places (not sure on each state/province/country) to listen to a device like an Ipods/walkmen etc.. while driving.
It's called a built-in ipod jack.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Terence Peterman

I was a goalie and never mentioned it. I didn't even like thinking about it. Saying something about it to opposing players only left the chance to look bad if they did score or, worse, come back.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:04 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
It's called a built-in ipod jack.
As long as you weren't plugged into to earphones!

Anyways I find it funny to see people call out a shutout, and then people ***** about.

So I guess we can keep that tradition alive.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Wow... people are getting WAY to serious over the whole shutout thing...on both sides.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wow... people are getting WAY to serious over the whole shutout thing...on both sides.
It just seemed that there was a groundswell of "anti-jinx" on the shutout and I went into smart-aleck mode. I was particularly pleased to find the "Shut" and "Out" movie posters. No biggie for me one way or another. Like I said previously, I wouldn't want to be the one to detract from others' enjoyment of the GDT.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote