HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Blue Jackets - 02/16/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2011, 04:08 AM
stonedhenge

vCash: 500
Ladies and gentlemen, dump&hope won a game

Old
02-17-2011, 05:50 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Not enough love for Lokti in this thread.
I am having a Loktionov name plate sewn over the O'Sullivan name plate on my #12 jersey. I just hope they dont now trade him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I know. He's just like, "I got this" and he just stands up. He should have brushed his shoulders off, but then that might have came back and bit him in the butt.
He looked so calm, like it was nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Um, Kelly Hrudy says hi
Do not get me started about the "flopping fish." Hrudey couldnt hold a candle to Quicker. Do I need to remind you of the answer to this question:

Who is the only Goalie to lose three consecutive Stanley Cup Final games in OT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Nash lost his center to an injury right off the bat at the start of the game.
What does he do? He just decides to take charge of the game no matter who his center was.
The Kings could absolutely not handle him.
That is one of the very strongest performances of the season by any single player against the Kings.
If Kopitar could display that kind of will, he'd be better than Nash. But Nash had that "eye of the tiger" last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Quick is a stud! In my 22 years as a Kings fan he is by far hands down my favorite goalie.

What is most awesome about Quick is his humility.
It doesnt hurt that he looks like he's 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaturday View Post
Hrudey was a symbol of Bruce McNall's desire to bring us a winner. He came to the Kings during Gretzky's first year and gave the team a lift going into the playoffs. He also was on fire during the Cup run in '93.

Hrudey was capable of stealing a game and played a style that you don't see in the NHL any more. He would give up a lot of goals while he was flopping or via his gaping five hole, but one thing you always knew about Hrudey is that he was going to battle hard every night no matter what. He was a great team player, too.

As for Quick, he is hands down better than Hrudey ever was and is the best goaltender I have ever seen for the Kings since I started watching in '89.

Potvin had a great run for a few months, but we all know that didn't last. Stauber, Fiset, and Storr all had potential but never worked out. Fuhr, Cloutier and Cechmanek were castoff garbage from other teams, and LaBarbera and Dafoe just plain sucked. I may be forgetting one or two scrubs like Weeks, Burke, or Knickle.

Thanks heavens for Quick AND Bernier! This organization could be set in goal for 10+ years.
Thank you.
/discussion on Quick as best in recent memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
2-10-0 prior to that!

Although as of tonight they have completely wiped out all of those prior losses, and are back to 10 games over .500, which matches their season high.

Now the HUGE test - every other time this season they've hit this peak, they've plummeted. We'll see if they can keep it rolling.

I did see that bad, bad habit of tit-for-tat goals creep back into their game tonight, which is not a good sign.
That was troubling too, but I attribute that more to Nash willing his team to play better. But the Kings still have trouble covering that "Central Division Cross ice pass" (think Chicago,Nashville and CBJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Yeah, this is hilarious. I don't know what makes people underrate Hrudey so much, maybe they didn't care that he kept the puck out and focused on his style of keeping it out - like he wasn't pretty enough of a goalie for them? If Quick played behind the "defense" of the 1988-96 Kings, he'd probably have to be a flopping mess, too.Quick had a bad season in 09-10, but he's on his way now to being top 10 in save percentage for the first time. That's pretty cool. Hrudey was top 10 six times, three times with the Kings. Hrudey was top 5 three times as well.

Quick has two playoff victories, so he's currently 24 behind Hrudey in Kings' history. Quick might be able to accomplish what Hrudey has - when he grows up - but he's nowhere near the best in franchise history. If you go off of regular season play, Vachon's number one. If you go by playoff performance, Hrudey's number one. If Quick keeps this up, he will have completed his first good full season. That's a nice start, but that's all it is - a start.

... As it should be. It's nice to see that Murray is doing it right, at long last.
Nah, the "flopping fish" was his style. Quicker is far better positionally and athletically as well. As for just starting, do you expect a guy to have an entire career in just two years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Outside of the goal...
and Kopitar clanged a post as well on a wrister from the hi-slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, dump&hope won a game
Funny when they interviewed TM before the third period I cringed at hearing him repeat the mantra of "getting the puck deep, forechecking hard and recoveing it."
But they did it well. Its still obvious to me however that they generate more offense from carrying the puck into the zone. As more teams play three to four players across their blueline, the coaches want more dump-ins. It avoids potential turnovers there which lead to transition opportunites for the opposition, as it did several times in the second period last night. That said, the more we maintain possession going into the zone, the better chances and greater possession time we have, and that equals both offensive (chances) and defense (possession time). Whatever, they are getting it done.

Here's to QUICKER, Lokti and lets not forget Stolli on shootouts.

As for tomorrow, I'll start it off (keep it going):

I give us a good shot.

Go Kings GO!

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 02-17-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old
02-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I'm getting a Loktionov jersey the day after the trade deadline. I would get it now but I am kind of nervous that he could potentially be moved, if he survives the deadline I think he will be here for the long haul.

As much as I love Visnovsky, Cammalleri and Palffy I want to have a current players jersey.

Old
02-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
and lets not forget Stolli on shootouts.

Go Kings GO!
5 out of 6 on the season!

Glass Jarret morphs into Twine Jarret in the shootout, it's amazing, same shot and it's money almost every time. He should be the #1 shooter every shootout. Kopi and Jack have gone cold.

Old
02-17-2011, 07:11 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
5 out of 6 on the season!

Glass Jarret morphs into Twine Jarret in the shootout, it's amazing, same shot and it's money almost every time. He should be the #1 shooter every shootout. Kopi and Jack have gone cold.
I was surprised as hell when I saw Zues/Stoll roll out there...then somewhat disappointed that he finally makes a switch, and does it vs a goalie where (I thought) their moves were going to be made obsolete. (Aka the over the elbow shot on a righty goal and Garon being a lefty) I wonder if they still had Brown in the 3rd spot

Old
02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I'm getting a Loktionov jersey the day after the trade deadline. I would get it now but I am kind of nervous that he could potentially be moved, if he survives the deadline I think he will be here for the long haul.

As much as I love Visnovsky, Cammalleri and Palffy I want to have a current players jersey.
Of all fans, I better wait til then too.

I want to see Loktionov around for a while.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Sybil227

Speaking of Loktionov jerseys, if I wanted to get a nameplate for my jersey (or send the jersey out to get it sewn on directly), but in Russian, does anyone have any idea where I could get that done?

Old
02-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Ollie Weeks

Its weird - our first streak was fueled mostly by Quick, Williams and Stoll. Our second was dominated by Kopitar, Brown and Johnson. Now we've got Quick, Bernier and Doughty all going strong.

Be great to get everyone firing on all cylinders at once.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Just a thought but with Loktionov's emergence, does that make Schenn expendable or are we looking at building around our centers ala Pittsburgh Penguins.

Kopitar's a poor man's Crosby
Loktionov's a poor poor poor man's Malkin
Schenn will eventually be Jordan Staal, even better..

Old
02-17-2011, 03:15 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Funny when they interviewed TM before the third period I cringed at hearing him repeat the mantra of "getting the puck deep, forechecking hard and recoveing it."

But they did it well. Its still obvious to me however that they generate more offense from carrying the puck into the zone. As more teams play three to four players across their blueline, the coaches want more dump-ins. It avoids potential turnovers there which lead to transition opportunites for the opposition, as it did several times in the second period last night. That said, the more we maintain possession going into the zone, the better chances and greater possession time we have, and that equals both offensive (chances) and defense (possession time). Whatever, they are getting it done.
Sure. But you can't carry the puck into the offensive zone unless have speed coming through the neutral zone first.

Edit: Or, at least, it's extremely difficult to (without speed built up). I remember back in the day when Anze used to be good at that.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:23 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Just a thought but with Loktionov's emergence, does that make Schenn expendable or are we looking at building around our centers ala Pittsburgh Penguins.

Kopitar's a poor man's Crosby
Loktionov's a poor poor poor man's Malkin
Schenn will eventually be Jordan Staal, even better..
I doubt Schenn would be traded nor would I want that to happen. Like defensemen, you can't have too many good centers either. Handzus is an FA at the end of the season and is getting up there in age. You may want to resign him at a lower cost to mentor Lokti and Schenn.

I hope that eventually, Kopi, Lokti, Schenn man the middle for the Kings for years. Even the 3rd line center is still going to get upwards of 17 minutes a game and most teams try to roll with 3 scoring lines now anyway. The best part of Lokti is that he was a 5th round pick. It's been awhile since we've had a lower round pick like that make a significant impact. I hope he ends that drought.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:26 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Man.. the future really does look bright lol

XX-Kopitar-Brown
Kitsyn-Loktionov-Toffoli
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-XX

Closed Thread