HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lottery Not Televised which leads to rumors about the "fix" being in

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Makel

vCash: 500
I'm as big as an Islander's fan as they come, and I love the NHL; and Crosby needs to be on the NYR.

Fix the draft, do whatever. Make sure this team get's Crosby. It'll be the best thing to ever happen to this league.

If he goes anywhere different, shame on the NHL for NOT fixing it.

Purely how I feel.

Old
07-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Question: Who the **** is going to watch an NHL lottery draft????

Becides you and other people who post here.

If you seriously believe the time and effort and money to televise such an "event" would be worth it, based on the theory that the league could "rig" it, you're blind.

Paid Programing about an adjustable bed would get better ratings.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:10 PM
otto1219

no chance there is gonna be a fix, crosby is gonna end up landing on some freaking team like toronto, colorado or jersey, its gonna be a really crappy day on thursday

Old
07-19-2005, 05:11 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I wouldn't worry about it. The NHL will not fix the lottery. The last thing they need right now is an investigation into the validity of the draft after a canceled season and a year's worth of mudslinging and awful press.
I don't know. For the shape it's in, I'd be inclined to follow the old dictum: "Any PR is good PR."

Don't know how things are elsewhere in the States, but here in central Jersey, the CBA (and thus the league) got one day's play in the local media. That's not what this league needs in order to raise its profile.

A high profile investigation (that obviously ends up proving nothing) and continent-wide screaming about a fix might be just what the doctor ordered for this moribund league.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Edge

As someone with experience in the field. Any PR is not good PR and that's exactly the kind of mindset some companies have that ultimately gets them in trouble.

A scandel of that magnitude would get press....and make the league an even bigger joke than it seems right now.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
no chance there is gonna be a fix, crosby is gonna end up landing on some freaking team like toronto, colorado or jersey, its gonna be a really crappy day on thursday
Colorado, thats my pick.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
As someone with experience in the field. Any PR is not good PR and that's exactly the kind of mindset some companies have that ultimately gets them in trouble.

A scandel of that magnitude would get press....and make the league an even bigger joke than it seems right now.
So basically, its a fix.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:45 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I don't think it's a joke. I think it's not noticed which is arguably worse.

The thing is that it must not BE a scandal, and in any case, if the Rangers win, the talk is starting. There's no way around that.

Old
07-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Shadowtron

According to sportsnet.ca, the league changed its mind and the lottery will be televised. The actual drawing will be done off camera, but the rest will be televised.

Old
07-19-2005, 11:33 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
According to sportsnet.ca, the league changed its mind and the lottery will be televised. The actual drawing will be done off camera, but the rest will be televised.
which means that they are doing it EXACTLY the way it was originally planned but instead of simply announcing who got the top pick they will announce all 30 picks (which they would have done anyway)...

but they threw in the words 'televised' and 'live' to fool people so they stop complaining.

Old
07-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Question: Who the **** is going to watch an NHL lottery draft????

Becides you and other people who post here.

If you seriously believe the time and effort and money to televise such an "event" would be worth it, based on the theory that the league could "rig" it, you're blind.

Paid Programing about an adjustable bed would get better ratings.
Finally reason. Who honestly thinks that this will help the league? People keep talking about "all the promotion" they can get. That's great when 15 people are watching it in the entire Tr-State area... 10 from these boards and 5 guys who fell asleep in front of the TV. This doesn't promote hockey, it just gives diehard idiots who are stupid enough to think they will catch the fix something to do. I would watch it if I was home, but I don't know one other person who would have any interest whatsoever.

Old
07-20-2005, 09:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Finally reason. Who honestly thinks that this will help the league? People keep talking about "all the promotion" they can get. That's great when 15 people are watching it in the entire Tr-State area... 10 from these boards and 5 guys who fell asleep in front of the TV. This doesn't promote hockey, it just gives diehard idiots who are stupid enough to think they will catch the fix something to do. I would watch it if I was home, but I don't know one other person who would have any interest whatsoever.

Anyone who has watched when they announce the lottery position for the NBA draft knows that its a sure fire cure for insomnia. Hell, most of the GMs don't even bother to show up.

Old
07-20-2005, 10:37 AM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
It also cost money to broadcast. Money that is probably not well spent.
How much would it cost? Almost every major media is going to be broadcasting the press conference, so do the lottery right then and there, before or after the press conference. The stage and all the cameras are already paid for and set up.

And for people who say the NBA televises their lottery and no one cares anyway, that is totally different. In a normal year, there is no reason for the NHL to televise the lottery, you are right. But this is not a normal lottery. This is not a lottery where the worst 2 teams are the only ones with a decent chance and we know who is going to win.

Every team is in this lottery, and every team has a good chance. Toronto could easily end up being the first ball out...the solid chances for every team will have people watching the lottery if they did televise it. Plus, this isn't just for the top spot like a normal lottery. This is to determine the entire order, for the entire draft.

Old
07-20-2005, 10:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
How much would it cost? Almost every major media is going to be broadcasting the press conference, so do the lottery right then and there, before or after the press conference. The stage and all the cameras are already paid for and set up.

And for people who say the NBA televises their lottery and no one cares anyway, that is totally different. In a normal year, there is no reason for the NHL to televise the lottery, you are right. But this is not a normal lottery. This is not a lottery where the worst 2 teams are the only ones with a decent chance and we know who is going to win.

Every team is in this lottery, and every team has a good chance. Toronto could easily end up being the first ball out...the solid chances for every team will have people watching the lottery if they did televise it. Plus, this isn't just for the top spot like a normal lottery. This is to determine the entire order, for the entire draft.
I was referring to someone commenting that MSG could go and cover it.

Old
07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
nyr7andcounting

Yea sorry, my comments weren't directly to you. I was just making a point that this is not a "normal" lottery which no one cares about every April.

Old
07-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
IMHO i think that Crosby is the next Alexandre Daigle. IF we got the first pick, i would rather deal it for a Kovalchuk, or Nash. That's just my opinion.

DO i think there will be a fix? I doubt it, the Rangers get the first pick they get the first pick. So be it, but i think they wind up pick 17th as the Isles pick 28th

Old
07-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
....i think they wind up pick 17th as the Isles pick 28th
I think that's the thorn in a lot of Rangers fans sides. I know it is for me. I'm not particularly concerned about getting No. 1, I just don't want to get 30th while Colorado or the Devs march up to the podium to collect crosby.

Old
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
IMHO i think that Crosby is the next Alexandre Daigle. IF we got the first pick, i would rather deal it for a Kovalchuk, or Nash. That's just my opinion.

DO i think there will be a fix? I doubt it, the Rangers get the first pick they get the first pick. So be it, but i think they wind up pick 17th as the Isles pick 28th
You couldn't get Kovalchuk or Nash for Crosby.

You could probably get Mark Parish and Oleg Kvasha, though!

Old
07-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Kvashinator12

Quote:
You couldn't get Kovalchuk or Nash for Crosby.

You could probably get Mark Parish and Oleg Kvasha, though!

Heck or Doug Weight for Glen Anderson haha....thanks.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-20-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Why would some people say the fix is automatically on if the Rangers win the Lottery behind closed doors?
Because some people are driven by cynicism and paranoia....

Because some people don't believe anything is what it appears to be, everything is staged. (Except Reality TV, of course. )...

Because some people can't elicit enough enjoyment and excitment out of life as we know it and instead have to create fictional scenarios to increase their blood pressure...

Because some people are incredibly biased against anything New York City....

Because some folks have an inferiority complex....

Because if Crosby does end up in NY, and if he and the team do succeed down the road, these same people will in their lame minds have a built-in excuses for many years to come (i.e., "He was handed to NYR! )

There's your answers. The truth hurts, but that's the truth, IMO. Just as this whole CBA episode actually said little about the players or owners but spoke volumes about the insideous mentality of many so-called fans, so too is this lottery bringing out the weird, paranoid personality of many people.

Old
07-20-2005, 12:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Heck or Doug Weight for Glen Anderson haha....thanks
Doug Weight was for Esa Tikkanen, not Glenn Anderson. That was Mike Gartner.

Hows it goin' Bates?

Old
07-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Kvashinator12

Quote:
Doug Weight was for Esa Tikkanen, not Glenn Anderson. That was Mike Gartner.

Hows it goin' Bates?
ahhh, how could i forget...its going, the heat is killin me....Nothing like patroling Roosevelt Avenue during the summer though. Gotta love those women out there.

Closed Thread