HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Question Re: Leclair/Amonte/Jeremy's contracts

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Kurtz

vCash: 500
Question Re: Leclair/Amonte/Jeremy's contracts

How long do all of these guys have on their deals?

Old
07-19-2005, 06:54 PM
GagneScores12

I believe they all have one year remaining on their deals.

Old
07-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Brad*

Amonte is thru 06-07, LeClair and Roenick are both UFA's after this season.

However, both LeClair and Amonte will be bought out in the next few weeks.

Old
07-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz
How long do all of these guys have on their deals?
LeClair and Amonte, aka flotsam and jetsam, have about a week left on their contracts.

Old
07-19-2005, 07:14 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
LeClair and Amonte, aka flotsam and jetsam, have about a week left on their contracts.

POST OF THE YEAR

Old
07-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Kurtz

Ok, so Amonte has 2 years on his deal?

Riddle me this then, why would you buy him out, if his salary will still count against the cap?

Old
07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Brad*

It won't. Not this off season at least. There is a amnesty period where teams may buyout players where it won't count against the cap, which will happen after ratification. After that period, buyouts will count.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It won't. Not this off season at least. There is a amnesty period where teams may buyout players where it won't count against the cap, which will happen after ratification. After that period, buyouts will count.
Right, but that only applies to players with 1 year on their contracts, such as Leclair/Roenick. For players with over a year, their contract will still count against the cap.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Brad*

I don't believe so. I believe that's what the system will revert to after this period of time. This special period is the only time these types of buyouts will be allowed.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:15 PM
GagneScores12

Quote:
Right, but that only applies to players with 1 year on their contracts, such as Leclair/Roenick. For players with over a year, their contract will still count against the cap.
Not true. Even with players who have over a year left on their contracts, they can be bought out during this period and there is no ramification on the cap. That's why the Islanders are in a connendrum right now. The word is that they would like to buy out Yashin's contract, but it would cost them 28 million to do so. If they leave him on board, they only end up paying him something like 2 or 3 million more than the buyout cost.

It's just going to get messy because a lot of teams are going to spend probably 20 to 30 million in buyouts alone before they even start looking at their own free agents and UFAs and unqualified FAs. It's gonna be a very fun mess to watch.

Old
07-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneScores12
Not true. Even with players who have over a year left on their contracts, they can be bought out during this period and there is no ramification on the cap. That's why the Islanders are in a connendrum right now. The word is that they would like to buy out Yashin's contract, but it would cost them 28 million to do so. If they leave him on board, they only end up paying him something like 2 or 3 million more than the buyout cost.

It's just going to get messy because a lot of teams are going to spend probably 20 to 30 million in buyouts alone before they even start looking at their own free agents and UFAs and unqualified FAs. It's gonna be a very fun mess to watch.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing it up then, everyone.

But I think all this buyout talk is extremely exaggerated. The lockout happened because most teams lost a lot of money. I dont think theyll be to eager now to spend 20-30 mil just to pay for players not to play for them.

Old
07-20-2005, 02:07 AM
Brad*

Quote:

But I think all this buyout talk is extremely exaggerated. The lockout happened because most teams lost a lot of money. I dont think theyll be to eager now to spend 20-30 mil just to pay for players not to play for them.
Clarke has already said that he is willing to buyout Leclair and Amonte. Brashear is likely as well because of his legal situation. You will see a ton of buyouts, this is a one time situation.

Old
07-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Jester

i've actually read (somewhere) that it won't be such a simple procedure to buy a player out with more than one year on their contract... and it will remain on the books in some fashion. it won't be the full value of the contract, but some % of it will be there... may be wrong about this, but i thought i saw that on the business board or something.

makes sense from the NHLPA's point of view... they don't want their guys who have signed long-term contracts for a reason to be so easily ditched by teams.

Old
07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:

Well, some teams that are regularly spending around $60-70 million on contracts a year have to cut back, they can spend $20-30 million now, since their budget can only be $39 Million.

Old
07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Kurtz

Ok, I knew I didn't imagine this. From the Business Board:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...3064&t=TS_Home

"Meanwhile, other aspects of the labour deal came to light yesterday, including a provision concerning buyouts.

If a player has just the 2005-06 season remaining on his contract, he can be bought out at two-thirds of his salary without it counting against the cap. If his contract extends beyond next season, a portion of the buyout in subsequent years will go against the cap. That will hamper the New York Rangers if they want to buy out Bobby Holik or Darius Kasparaitis"

Old
07-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Ok, I knew I didn't imagine this. From the Business Board:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...3064&t=TS_Home

"Meanwhile, other aspects of the labour deal came to light yesterday, including a provision concerning buyouts.

If a player has just the 2005-06 season remaining on his contract, he can be bought out at two-thirds of his salary without it counting against the cap. If his contract extends beyond next season, a portion of the buyout in subsequent years will go against the cap. That will hamper the New York Rangers if they want to buy out Bobby Holik or Darius Kasparaitis"
An article that came out from ESPN yesterday says they it won't be counted against the cap at all, until the compliance period is over. You are talking about how the rules will be after this period is over. This compliance period will last between July 23rd and 29th and it's purpose is to help teams get under the cap, since it's such a harsh transition for some of them. After July 29th, al buyouts will count against the cap.

Closed Thread