HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Rangers - 02/17/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
02-18-2011, 12:26 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
So, how fun and odd was that 3 on 3 in OT? I didn't think a dump and chase was possible but the Kings managed to do it
The players on both sides looked confused. Like they didn't know what to do. It was totally awkward.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:27 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
So, how fun and odd was that 3 on 3 in OT? I didn't think a dump and chase was possible but the Kings managed to do it
Jack Johnson got caught out there a couple of times and took the longest shift I've seen a King player take in years. The hockey player in me was laughing. Every time it was time for him to change the puck came right to him and he carried the puck all the way down. Great shift.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:31 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Critiquing players on the 2nd game of a back to back is a waste of bandwidth. Of course some of the team looked lethargic tonight - THEY WERE TIRED. They still managed to battle back and get a point they desperately needed.

On to Saturday and the chance to make a great road trip a spectacular one.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:36 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Jack was on for the whole 3 on 3 iirc, and yea I agree it was funny to watch.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Alternate Jersey

k, no way that TM is gonna not play the same goalie in the SO that he did in regulation. that would be insane. yes, maybe it would have been nice to have quick in the shootout (even though i'd point to the small sample size of bernie's SO opportunities), but everyone seems to be forgetting that the mostly-agreed upon reason quick faltered in the playoffs last year was because he was so overplayed. so, we need someone else to pick up the slack. this was a non-conference, back-to-back, road game. if there ever were an opportunity to rest quick, this was it. and although it didn't end up going his way, no way i don't feel good about bernie playing tonight. we're practically spoiled to have him as our BACKUP.

JT and TG are right. no way we trade a back-up goalie of that caliber just because bernie might have been too far out of the goal. and like was also said previously, bernie's ****-ups are going to be a lot more visible because he gets way fewer starts during the year. not to mention we can love both goalies! a loss by one doesn't mean that the other is instantly better! and kopi may be slightly snake-bit, but he's still racking up assists, and if i remember correctly, he's definitely rung the posts more than once recently. although this goes in the OTL column, we got a point from it, which is something we had trouble doing earlier this season. i feel a lot better now than i did 12 games ago. cheer up, kingdom!

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Critiquing players on the 2nd game of a back to back is a waste of bandwidth. Of course some of the team looked lethargic tonight - THEY WERE TIRED.

They still managed to battle back and get a point they desperately needed. On to Saturday and the chance to make a great road trip a spectacular one.
Thing was, I didn't think we looked that bad. Yeah, it was back and forth and the Rangers had a lot of good opportunities, but when our guys sustained pressure, they SUSTAINED PRESSURE. The cycle had the Rangers running around in a manner I haven't seen from a Kings' adversary in forever, it was real good stuff. And each line managed this repeatedly throughout the game. We certainly showed more intensity than, say, last night.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:40 AM
johnjm22

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

The Kings tied a franchise record tonight; 11 straight games earning at least 1 point.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

I don't get it!!!!!!!

How can you possibly be complaining about this game? Do you guys forgot how many games and roadtripps this team has made recently and the distances traveled, back to back games. They made mistakes because of fatigue and a lot of players looked dead tired IMO late in the game. The way they looked I'm happy to get a point and I will not complain on neither one of them even though Bernier haven't played that much.

Brown were much better but he is like Williams he turns it over more than others because he is trying to create something for his TEAM which isn't always successful, but when he does. Not saying he is a clever player but his heart is right where it should be.

Good point now lets take on the others, it seems like we won't get any help from other teams.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Isles have an inexperienced team, playing hurt with shaky goaltending. Boston took advantage of that situation tonight, something the Kings have to do on Saturday.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

As far as specific player performances, Brown proved that he is at his best as an opportunistic scorer. As the saying goes, keep it simple stupid. Look how much better he plays when he does so.

Kopitar controlled the puck rather well on special teams. Five-on-five, his line was rather inexistent until Murray shifted Brad Richardson to the top line, and they generated a few scoring chances and sustained pressure in the offensive zone on a number of shifts.

I thought Doughty was a little reckless today in his defensive zone coverage, but overall the team played well considering it is a back-to-back night and the latest string of games on this road trip have not been easy games.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Isles have an inexperienced team, playing hurt with shaky goaltending. Boston took advantage of that situation tonight, something the Kings have to do on Saturday.
Oh sh....we're screwed.

We coulda had two tonight, and that's the only thing I see we can be unhappy about. I saw a fatigued team play with lots of hard, and I'd attribute some of the sloppy play and turnovers to that. The Rangers had no such excuse and we took em to a SO in their own barn with our (admittedly solid) backup goalie.

11 games in a row with a point. Keep it up!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:11 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

We're officially back in a playoff spot tonight. Sweet.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:20 AM
MxK1NGS

They did not give up one bit tonight. I thought Bernier played pretty well tonight. IF the Kings make the playoff, I am glad to have Bernier as a back-up. The thing that was not too good tonight IMO, is how they played in there own zone, if they were a bit more better and had gotten the puck out, I think we could have won this game easily in regulation. Guys were soft in our zone, horrible break-out passes. I also wasn't too impressed about Kopi and Doughty's play, could DEFINITELY be better. Really good to see the other lines showing up though when our top 2 stars aren't playing themselves. Great point earned tonight! Let's go on now and beat the Charleston Chiefs!
Am just hoping the game won't be another Pens game..

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Point lost or point gained ?

I feel like saying point gained given the late equalizer against a great goalie like Lundqvist.

Nice to see Brown back on the scoresheet. And terrific deflection from Brian Boyle too, tipping the puck over Lundqvists' pads. That was nice of him.

I dont quite know what to make of Bernier's game tonight ... overall I thought he looked good, but that Gaborik goal wasnt good. And I wasn't crazy about his play on the last goal either - I am pretty sure Quick wouldnt have gotten as far out of position and left the goal that wide open on the other side. And he's not very good in shootout-situations. He still had some terrific saves though.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:37 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

No one looked more disappointed by that third goal the Rangers scored than Bernier. I think that's a good sign. The guy is a competitor. It's too bad he got worked in the Shootout, but the Kings have managed to get 13/16 possible points so far on this road trip. All other 29 teams in this league would take that and run.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:44 AM
Orenji

Most teams would take 10 points on an eight game road trip and run.

Jeez, this road trip is long.

We have the longest of the season, right?

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 05:32 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Most teams would take 10 points on an eight game road trip and run.

Jeez, this road trip is long.

We have the longest of the season, right?
I believe so and the longest in Kings history.

I've been kinda liking the road trip only because the games are on earlier for my graveyard shift ass.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Inner Turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
No one looked more disappointed by that third goal the Rangers scored than Bernier. I think that's a good sign. The guy is a competitor. It's too bad he got worked in the Shootout, but the Kings have managed to get 13/16 possible points so far on this road trip. All other 29 teams in this league would take that and run.
I also like that he doesn't shy away from the responsibility if he feels he lets in a bad goal. He takes responsibility of his performance and will, no doubt, work hard to improve. He's a competitor. Unfortunately he looks baaaaad in shoot-outs.

The road trip has been a smashing success. After the (most recent) dreadful home-stand I was good and ready to call it the end of season ... but what a turn-around it has been. Now I am more inclined to think we'll win the division title and take 3rd seed.

Old
02-18-2011, 06:09 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
I dunno, Kopitar standing over him looking down with a sort of 'seriously?' look seemed pretty dissapointed

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Inner Turbulence

Quote:
I've been kinda liking the road trip only because the games are on earlier for my graveyard shift ass.
I am in the other boat.
Across the pond in Copenhagen, Denmark I like the West Coast 7.30 games ... that means games are on at 4.30am local time. So, I can get up early, watch the game and head to work at 8. The 7pm Eastern Time games are no good. The East Coast Matinee's was good too though.

Old
02-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Yeah man, Brownie showed leadership by tying that goal up (and a little bit of luck) but he played very well. Rich Hammond does a story on Alec Martinez's homecoming in Columbus but not Dustin Brown's homecoming in New York? Maybe that's why he played that well hahaha, hopefully he brings his game to the Islanders game.

And how about putting Richardson on Kopitar's line right when the Rangers took the lead lol, then Matt Greene ties it up all because of Richie's hard work. I think he earned himself another start but I was sort of disappointed in TM's confidence in Loktionov.. He barely played him in the 3rd period and when he was on the ice, it was with Clifford and Lewis, as a RW..
To be fair, Brown isn't from NYC.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:01 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
To be fair, Brown isn't from NYC.
Ithaca, NY

FrozenKing18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post

Amazing how Quick is hugely praised last night giving up 3 goals on 24 shots but winning in the shootout and Bernier stands on his head most of this game....

WTF? What is this propaganda? Of the three goals Bernier allowed in regulation, two were stoppable. There was that long, fluttering shot by Gaborik, which Fox commented on as being "stoppable". And then there was that maneuver in which Bernier slid out of the net and left the wrap-around attempt wide open. Is that what passes for "stands on his head"??? You've got some serious blinders on. I suggest you remove them.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
stonedhenge

Do people realize Kopitar is 6th in ESP? He has 41 and Stamkos&Crosby as front-runners have only 5 more. Not to mention he is +19. I still think he has some conditioning issues (and should perhaps drop a little weight). But his stats are definately saying he is 2nd line overpaid lazy center and should be traded for Scott Gomez.

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I dunno, Kopitar standing over him looking down with a sort of 'seriously?' look seemed pretty dissapointed
Kopitar should have been disappointed on that play. He bobbled the puck at the Ranger's blueline while his wingers were deep, which lead to the quick counter-attack. Then he was late on the backcheck and wound up checking his man into Bernier.

There was a lot of ugly on that goal.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote