HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Steve Christie (CIS)--- Question looking for answers

Old
02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
HockeyFollower

vCash: 500
Steve Christie (CIS)--- Question looking for answers

I see that Steve Christie from the Manitoba Bisons signed an ATO with the Toronto Marlies AHL who are conveniently playing the Manitoba Moose tonight ..

Seeing as his season is not over in the CIS .. Does this not ruin his elibility to play the rest of the season?

I know the rule is 365 calendar days since you last played pro. If he is on a pro game sheet, on the bench but doesnt physically play does this count as ruining eligibility or does this not count?

I would assume that he would likely finish off the season before signing an ATO and moving on to pro but weirder thing have happened.

Thanks in advance!!!

HockeyFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFollower View Post
I see that Steve Christie from the Manitoba Bisons signed an ATO with the Toronto Marlies AHL who are conveniently playing the Manitoba Moose tonight ..

Seeing as his season is not over in the CIS .. Does this not ruin his elibility to play the rest of the season?

I know the rule is 365 calendar days since you last played pro. If he is on a pro game sheet, on the bench but doesnt physically play does this count as ruining eligibility or does this not count?

I would assume that he would likely finish off the season before signing an ATO and moving on to pro but weirder thing have happened.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jordan White of UBC was the backup goalie for the San Jose Sharks just a short time ago! The ATO preserves one's amateur status.

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:56 PM
HockeyFollower

Thanks for your response

What if he was forced into game action? That would count would it not?
If a forward or defenceman signed an ATO and actually played.. Theres no way they would be eligible to return to CIS play afterwards would they?

Its technically a pro game and ATO's are paid I believe

HockeyFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFollower View Post
Thanks for your response

What if he was forced into game action? That would count would it not?
If a forward or defenceman signed an ATO and actually played.. Theres no way they would be eligible to return to CIS play afterwards would they?

Its technically a pro game and ATO's are paid I believe
Even if he gets in a game he won't be paid, so his CIS eligibility won't be compromised. That's how those emergency call-ups of amateur goalies work. When Jordan White dressed, but didn't play for the Canucks, after the game some of the pro players passed a hat around and raised something like 500 bucks for him ... but the CIS just pretended it didn't happen. Well, Vancouver didn't pay him, but some of their players gave him a donation so no harm, no foul.

The CIS isn't nearly as anal as the NCAA when it comes to professionalism, agents, etc. ...

But then you asked about forwards or d-men didn't you. I'm pretty sure the emergency rule is just for goalies. If a skater was to be called up and played, I'm pretty certain he would be ineligible for the rest of the CIS season, and the next if he was older than 21.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 02-16-2011 at 06:58 AM.
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Even if he gets in a game he won't be paid, so his CIS eligibility won't be compromised. That's how those emergency call-ups of amateur goalies work. When Jordan White dressed, but didn't play for the Canucks, after the game some of the pro players passed a hat around and raised something like 500 bucks for him ... but the CIS just pretended it didn't happen. Well, Vancouver didn't pay him, but some of their players gave him a donation so no harm, no foul.

The CIS isn't nearly as anal as the NCAA when it comes to professionalism, agents, etc. ...

But then you asked about forwards or d-men didn't you. I'm pretty sure the emergency rule is just for goalies. If a skater was to be called up and played, I'm pretty certain he would be ineligible for the rest of the CIS season, and the next if he was older than 21.
The same rules apply for all positions. It's just that it would be highly unlikely that a team would call up a forward or d-man. I have seen AHL teams play a man short, or use 5 or 7 d-men, due to injury and inability to get an ECHL call-up in time.

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Alpine

ATO...Amateur Try Out.
Wouldn't that mean that the Club pays nothing to the player. If a 1st year pro who got paid can change his mind before Dec 31 and play CIS in the 2nd semester with no penalty......why couldn't a guy be able to have an ATO for a couple of games?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
ATO...Amateur Try Out.
Wouldn't that mean that the Club pays nothing to the player. If a 1st year pro who got paid can change his mind before Dec 31 and play CIS in the 2nd semester with no penalty......why couldn't a guy be able to have an ATO for a couple of games?
An ATO can be used for any position, but is generally used today for a goalie as most teams have enough skaters.

Not all pros can play after Christmas. It only applies to 21 or younger. If you are older then 21, you have to sit your year and take a penalty on your eligibility.

As an amateur, you are not signing a contract or accepting financial compensation for your commitment. That's the big difference - if they got paid, then they would be a pro. A food/travel stipend maybe allowed - depends on the league. In most cases it's not a lot - enough for dinner, gas and parking. For many years in golf, a player could accept up to $500 in cash winnings or sponsorship without losing their amateur status.

An ATO has a game limit - something like a max of 8 games (not sure). Long enough to allow someone to evaluate your ability, but not long enough to be a 'member' of the team.

A number of UNB players in the 80s signed ATOs with the Fredericton Express (AHL-Quebec) for a few games.

Drummer is online now   Reply With Quote