HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you feel if Brown was traded?

Old
02-16-2011, 11:45 PM
kingscourt26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Two goals and four assists in 20 games. Leading by example.
One of which was scored by Calgary. Quality is important when counting goals.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:58 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Brown's cap hit is 3.175. He gets a lot of slack from me for that reason alone. That said I don't think he should wear the "C" that was DL's bad. And i would also welcome back the Brown of his first two seasons, a bulked up freight train who runs everyone and everything.
This is his game, and he needs to get back to it, if it means reducing his responsibilities by taking the C from him then do it. As others have said he just needs to know "his" game, play it and not try to play above it.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:48 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
This is his game, and he needs to get back to it, if it means reducing his responsibilities by taking the C from him then do it. As others have said he just needs to know "his" game, play it and not try to play above it.
The disturbing thing for the future is that Lombardi brought in some serious, legit bridge builders in Smyth, Handzus and Williams. Those three play the game the right way, every stinking shift. They were supposed to be role models - bridges for the young core to learn from and emulate as they mature.

Instead, the two forwards who chiefly needed this help, Brown and Kopitar, go through long periods of sluggish, apathetic play. When the team struggles, it isn't the vets that stop performing - this team lives and dies with Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Johnson and Quick.

Imagine how bad this mess could look when those three forwards are gone, and there are no other "leaders" up front. AND, I might add, it could happen as early as this summer, if the Smyth-wants-back-to-Edmonton-for-a-glory-lap-before-retirement rumors are true.

bland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:58 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
One of which was scored by Calgary. Quality is important when counting goals.
That's really nitpicking, and it's making your argument look foolish.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Am I the only guy in this forum that doesn't want to trade for Parise in light of his very serious knee injury and surgery?
Having a meniscus repaired isn't a serious knee injury and surgery. There was no structural damage at all to any of the ligaments.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

We should trade Brown to the Islanders for Matt Moulson.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
My filter? You joined, or maybe rejoined this board less than a year ago.

And I stand firm on this - nobody on this team makes as many boneheaded plays as Brown. It would be one thing if he learned from them, but tonight was a prime example - yet another blind pass to no one at the point to clear the zone on the PP. That's been happening at least once a game for a week now. NOBODY else on this team does that - sure you might get a pass deflected now and then, but these are unforced, stupid decisions that happen over and over again.
I'm not sure my anniversary on this site has anything to do with the way you perceive D. Brown. I was surfing around here for awhile and joined because I enjoyed the conversation and education.

To your last point, don't forget the winger who won at Columbus last night also gave away a game last week with a blind behind the back pass across the middle of the ice. And don't forget that "fat do nut boy" (not my personal opinion btw) everyone was blowing up earlier this year is now being listed as a Norris nominee. He's the same guy who missed his back door coverage last night. And a bunch of others earlier this year. But who's counting?

A lot of what happens on the ice is a lucky bounce, a skip off a skate. Hockey is crazier than golf in the way good intention is punished and bad execution rewarded.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
.... Instead, the two forwards who chiefly needed this help, Brown and Kopitar, go through long periods of sluggish, apathetic play. When the team struggles, it isn't the vets that stop performing - this team lives and dies with Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Johnson and Quick....
Youth, youth, youth. You describe exactly the type of play that comes from talented young players who are still learning what a constant f***ing tough grind it is to be an NHL pro. Sometimes they just can't do it. They are they are learning the physical, emotional, and mental effort it takes to dominate. I think they'll get there.

But, it's a risk. Some teams, very talented teams, never quite get over that hump, to the next level. The LeFontaine Sabres, the Capitals of the past few years, for example, hell, the Triple Crown Line Kings never got to that point. I think these kids will.

Old
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
That's really nitpicking, and it's making your argument look foolish.
How so? Brown had nothing to do with the goal he was awarded. The defenseman literally backhanded the puck in and Brown was the last one to touch it. He didn't own the goal which to me, leaves him scoreless in about 20 games now.

How is that not a valid argument?

Old
02-17-2011, 03:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
How so? Brown had nothing to do with the goal he was awarded. The defenseman literally backhanded the puck in and Brown was the last one to touch it. He didn't own the goal which to me, leaves him scoreless in about 20 games now.

Hey, he put it right on the guy's stick. What more do you want?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
How many of Brown's assists are primary rather than secondary?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
How many of Brown's assists are primary rather than secondary?
He has twelve primary assists.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

This question is ridiculous.

Brown is very valuable to this team. His two goals tonight are just an echo of that.

He is the captain, highly respected in the clubhouse. He is an integral part of this team's youth movement.

I don't know why anyone would even consider this.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:15 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

Are you going to start taking empty net goals away from players now too?

It's so petty to bash a player because his shot happened to go off a defender and call it a lesser goal.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:42 AM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Are you going to start taking empty net goals away from players now too?

It's so petty to bash a player because his shot happened to go off a defender and call it a lesser goal.
A goal is a goal and always a benefit to the team. I'm not saying take away the goal, I'm saying that the goal wasn't attributed to him playing better.

That being said, tonight's 2 goals were a product of that and I hope he can keep it up through the end of the season.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Duc620

Captain Brown's supporters would like to remind his detractors that the captain is on pace for a 25-27 goal season, is currently listed within the Top 10 goal scoring left wings (not his natural position), and is number 2 in hits. In addition, he has spent his entire pro career with the Kings and with several players on the team. He has made very significant efforts to assist young King prospects at the very beginning of their careers to improve the prospect and the team, while improving the atmosphere and cohesiveness of the locker room.

There is no real reason to send all this away to another team at this point in the Kings or Browns development.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Captain Brown's supporters would like to remind his detractors that the captain is on pace for a 25-27 goal season, is currently listed within the Top 10 goal scoring left wings (not his natural position), and is number 2 in hits. In addition, he has spent his entire pro career with the Kings and with several players on the team. He has made very significant efforts to assist young King prospects at the very beginning of their careers to improve the prospect and the team, while improving the atmosphere and cohesiveness of the locker room.

There is no real reason to send all this away to another team at this point in the Kings or Browns development.
Despite all those stats and ample ice time, etc he still makes bad hockey decisions.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Duc620

All hockey players make "bad hockey" decisions. His ratio of bad to good is not as terrible as some would have us believe.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:54 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
All hockey players make "bad hockey" decisions. His ratio of bad to good is not as terrible as some would have us believe.
Agree to disagree. I just don't picture Brown ever lifting the Stanley Cup, he's just not good enough as a player and as a captain.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:28 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Agree to disagree. I just don't picture Brown ever lifting the Stanley Cup, he's just not good enough as a player and as a captain.
That makes absolutely no sense.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Hey! I'll take that bet! What's your beer! Or spirit!

Old
02-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
That makes absolutely no sense.
Maybe he should change his name to Mr. Irrational j/k

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Yes cause only a select Few have ever Lifted the Stanley Cup. I often wonder if people even realize how hard it is to win a Cup. Some players go entire careers on good teams and never win one.

One of the best Dman to ever play the game has One Cup to his credit.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Sybil227

How would I feel if Brown was traded?
I'd feel like I just lost to the Rangers.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote