HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you guys move Christian Thomas?

Old
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Sypher04

vCash: 500
Would you guys move Christian Thomas?

I'm a Leafs fan, actually, really, I'm an Oshawa Generals fan. I've been watching a lot of Thomas, and would love to have him in Toronto, so I could see him play more when he reaches the AHL, NHL level.

Just wondering, how high are Rangers fans on Christian? Would you consider him expendable, and if so, how much do you feel he's worth?

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id trade anyone for the right return.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I would absolutely trade him - for the right return, as Inferno says.

Only problem is, I don't know what the right return from Toronto is... maybe the recently acquired Colborne?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

If you overpaid, I'd be willing to move him. If not, no.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

If he was included in a trade for a bigger piece then I probably would, dependent on who the bigger piece was.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I would not trade him. He's one of the few guys we have with first line potential. You trade him now and you get a decent third liner. How does that help us long-term?

I am having a hard time thinking of anyone else other than maybe Dubinsky, Kreider and Stepan who has even an outside shot at being a first liner.

Thomas has the best chance of being a first liner of any kid in the system, though he also has a high chance of never cracking the NHL.

I don't want another Savard for Hlavac trade.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Thomas is definitely high risk / high reward. He has high bust potential, but if he pans out, he could be an excellent player.

He's not expendable, but he is tradeable for the right return.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Thomas is definitely high risk / high reward. He has high bust potential, but if he pans out, he could be an excellent player.

He's not expendable, but he is tradeable for the right return.

I would trade him if we got another player like Dubinsky or Callahan, but we won't get that much back for him, and I am not going to like a trade of Thomas for another Prust.

I like Prust very much, but we don't need more third liners, even very good ones.

At the very least I would want a top-end second liner for him, and we won't be getting that at this point in his career.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM
John Torturella

I wouldnt unless it was an offer that blew us away. Im very interested to see how he pans out. Could be a 30 goal guy.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I'm a Leafs fan, actually, really, I'm an Oshawa Generals fan. I've been watching a lot of Thomas, and would love to have him in Toronto, so I could see him play more when he reaches the AHL, NHL level.

Just wondering, how high are Rangers fans on Christian? Would you consider him expendable, and if so, how much do you feel he's worth?
Not at the moment, but give us your impressions of him from what you've seen this season. He's approaching 50 goals very quickly.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Not at the moment, but give us your impressions of him from what you've seen this season. He's approaching 50 goals very quickly.
He's an excellent skater. Keeps his head up, is quite shifty. Has a great release. His shot is quite hard, but deceptive, seems to catch a lot of goaltenders unprepared. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in work ethic. Very responsible. The kind of guy who can help your team both on the PK and the PP. Lots of room to grow, but making great strides.

2nd straight 40+ goal season in the OHL. Likely to hit 50 this time.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I don't see this high bust potential with Thomas. People just look at his size and figure he might never make the NHL. He plays gritty, goes into traffic, is very strong and he's not even THAT small.

Like everyone has said, obviously for the right return he's expendable, but he does have very high potential, amongst the top in our very deep system.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He's an excellent skater. Keeps his head up, is quite shifty. Has a great release. His shot is quite hard, but deceptive, seems to catch a lot of goaltenders unprepared. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in work ethic. Very responsible. The kind of guy who can help your team both on the PK and the PP. Lots of room to grow, but making great strides.

Thanks...

Do you think he's grown at all? He was listed at 5'9 when he was drafted, but we were watching some clips of him and he doesn't look so small out on the ice...

Old
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I don't see this high bust potential with Thomas.
The OHL and AHL are full of undersized skill guys who put up tremendous numbers but couldn't translate their game to the NHL. When a guy is that size, until he proves himself at the NHL level, he has high bust potential. I don't think anyone is saying we are seeing signs that he is likely to bust, but until he proves himself more, there will be doubts.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I would give Toronto

Thomas and our 2011 1st, 2nd (via Washington) and 2012 1st.....

For Kessel and Toronto's 2011 2nd.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:

Exactly what the Rangers like in their players. I'm very excited to see him play in the NHL, whether it is for the Rangers or another team, in the near future.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
The OHL and AHL are full of undersized skill guys who put up tremendous numbers but couldn't translate their game to the NHL. When a guy is that size, until he proves himself at the NHL level, he has high bust potential. I don't think anyone is saying we are seeing signs that he is likely to bust, but until he proves himself more, there will be doubts.
On the other hand, if he was built like Nino Nieddereiter, there'd also be doubts because the perception would be that he is using his size against smaller competition instead of his skill.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Pizza

Quote:

That's pretty much the crux of it right there.

The key to the future will be guys that can produce on the PP, play bigger than their size, and do it all at reasonable price.

That basically means guys you draft that come in and make a big impact.

Thomas could be that guy....or he could be Nigel Dawes. We'll see.

Who do you see the Leafs giving back?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He has high bust potential
I don't see high bust potential.... I think you're just inclined to think that because he's short.... He plays a skill game (not like his father), has an excellent shot, and is a well-rounded player with a good work ethic.

To me, the players with the high bust potentials are the Enver Lisin types... You can tell they have skills but they don't quite think the game well and haven't figured out how to put everything together in terms of their physical skillset and how they're processing the game out on the ice.

Old
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I would give Toronto

Thomas and our 2011 1st, 2nd (via Washington) and 2012 1st.....

For Kessel and Toronto's 2011 2nd.
Kessel isn't worth nearly that much.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

We can say all we want -- Sather or Clark wont let this guy be traded. They went off the board to draft him and it's paying dividends so far.

As far as I'm concerned, virtually all our prospects are off limits until we're on the cusp of Cup contention.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Well Toronto's 2nd is better than our second from washington, so the deal is essentially

Kessel for Thomas and two mid to late 1st rounders.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, he's an immediate scoring threat, multiple 30+ goal scorer, killer speed..
we give up nothing off the roster, we get better immediately, our late 1st rd drafting is marginal....the leafs second could end up being 7 or picks behind one of our 1st...

gotta give to get....I think Phil would be a stud for us

Old
02-18-2011, 02:52 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
We can say all we want -- Sather or Clark wont let this guy be traded. They went off the board to draft him and it's paying dividends so far.

As far as I'm concerned, virtually all our prospects are off limits until we're on the cusp of Cup contention.
I would argue we are on that cusp now. If not hamstrung by some salaries/cap issues we would be in even better shape. I still contend were only 2-3 players away.

Old
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Well Toronto's 2nd is better than our second from washington, so the deal is essentially

I'd do it in a heartbeat, he's an immediate scoring threat, multiple 30+ goal scorer, killer speed..
we give up nothing off the roster, we get better immediately, our late 1st rd drafting is marginal....the leafs second could end up being 7 or picks behind one of our 1st...

I'd do that if it were only one 1st. We're trying to re-build this team for the future (supposedly). Giving away 2 consecutive 1st rounders AND a former 2nd round pick with good potential (Thomas(, even though we'd be getting Kessel, is not really a good idea IMO.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:58 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

1st, where does the cap space come from this year? If we made that deal, we'd be pushing a large portion of the bonuses into next year. How about next year? Forget about Richards. Kessel and Gaborik and no one to pass to them? Doesn't sound very good to me.

2nd, Kessel is as one-dimensional as a player gets. He doesn't make us significantly better.

Want no part of Kessel, but especially not at the price of Thomas and 2 1st rounders.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote