HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XI

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
They're making a run for something, I wonder if the Wheeler trade will pan out.
Peverly will excel in Boston

Old
02-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
OTT-COL

Elliot for Anderson?

What's the point?
Anderson will be a UFA at the end of the season. Free's up the cash for whatever they may want to do in the offseason.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
KingsCourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Wow. Boston is really making a run for it.
i wonder how that feels...Dean, are you up yet...deals are going down.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I don't want to get into a bickering war or any arguments so I'll simply state my bit.

Look at the last 3 Stanley Cup winning teams then look at them the season following.

Chicago
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Anaheim

The year after they won these guys lost a ton of players to free agency (detroit the exception but they always are). What this shows is that in todays NHL with the salary cap and all you have a 2-3 year window of winning before your young players demand too much money and have to be moved out. Also the value in players like Stoll, Handzus etc. are higher because they are players you need if you want to win.

So while LA doesn't want to move Schenn for Hemsky, Hemsky would put your team over the top for top 6 talent and playoff experience. Extend him for a year or two and go win the cup because in 2-3 years your team will start dismantling a little. You have a window, your GM needs to decide when that window is open and then sell youth and stock up because you have a couple seasons to win it all then you're stuck in the middle of the pack again.

Just my 2 cents on this discussion.
Thanks for the comments.

Just thought I would respond.

I agree with your assessment that most teams since the lockout make their short run and then have to retool (largely) before attempting another run or simply get their shot and go away.

What I see happening with us is the same thing that I saw happen with Detroit back before they started their current championship run. Sometimes it seems that people think that the Wings drafted Captain America (Stevie Y) and within two years went on a championship run but that isn't the case.

The Wings struggled mightily with SY in the line up for a long time. What turned them around (short version) is that they were busy building an overall strategy where they built through the draft and would continue to do so.

Did they make deals? Yep but if you look at what they were doing and have continued on doing to this very day is spending allot of money on hiring and maintaining an exceptional scouting staff and then constantly adding the best young players into their pipeline.

We are getting close to having the kind of systemic depth that will allow us to be perennial contenders in the same manner as the Wings.

Dealing for Hemsky,right or wrong in my opinion is premature unless the deal is hugely favorable for us. If we made a one for one swap of a roster player for AH then it would be the only way that I could see it working in our favor or if we were able to fleece the Oilers in a deal where we sent them assets that we are truly no longer interested in for obvious reasons.

Are there players out there that I would bet some of the farm on today? Yes but they are very few. Hemsky isn't one of them as much as I like him and in many ways I don't see us as being ready to make such a deal just yet.

I would rather see us continue building from within because we have a seriously good track record so far (I would use this season as a fair example) at doing so. Look at our D, we brought up Martinez this year and brought in Mitchell and we have two young D NHL ready today to step up if needed and at least two more that will be ready in another year or two at the outside.

Look at our goaltending, We have two legitimate NHL caliber starting goalies for the first time in our history and while that is amazing the more amazing thing is that we have at least one more in the minors developing who could be ready in two years right about when we will have to make a decision on which one we want to keep as our starter.

We have brought in Clifford on wing this year as well as Lewis and Loktionov up the middle all with considerable success and have a couple of other 3rd/4rth line talented grinders down on the farm that will be ready as early as next year to fill a couple of holes that might develop this off season.

We still are at the adding skilled wingers stage of our development but we are allot closer than most of us think there so in my opinion dealing from an area of weakness today would be a mistake.

We are very close but not there yet so like I said, I would rather see us hang onto our young assets for the rest of the season allowing us to add at least one or two more talented kids to the depth charts, properly assess a few of our skilled young players and continue building from within.

I dunno, unlike the Pens we didn't draft two generational talented players and then pay them so much money that we were stuck with either option to either deal both or one of them away or hang onto both of them and deal away everyone else.

Unlike the Hawks see the Pens.

I see us doing things more patiently and for the long term as opposed to trying to force it to happen once and then spend the next 5 or 6 years chasing the dream like most of the other teams that you have listed.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Boston is loading up for a serious run for the Cup by adding lots of talent and depth to their lineup.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Recchi
Peverley-Seguin-Ryder
Campbell-Kelly-Thornton
Paille/Hamill

Kaberle-Chara
Seidenberg-Boychuk
Ference-McQuaid
Kampfer

Thomas-Rask

The only other team in the East that matches up with that lineup is Philly.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
DL needs to add a forward before the markets dries up

Old
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Boston overpaid for Kaberle and are doing the make a one year run team ideal thing imo though they have the wealth that they got from TO.

Col made a good deal, Elliot is useful and who knows on Anderson.

I have yet to see a deal this season that makes me feel like we have missed out on anything yet.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Who goes bye bye?

When healthy we have...

Sturm-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Handzus-Brown
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson
Ex. Parse, Westgarth

That's 14 forwards assuming Loktionov goes back to Manch...and one of Harrold/Drewiske goes bye bye.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Who goes bye bye?

When healthy we have...

Sturm-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Handzus-Brown
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson
Ex. Parse, Westgarth

That's 14 forwards assuming Loktionov goes back to Manch...and one of Harrold/Drewiske goes bye bye.
One of Lewis or Richardson. Love both these guys, but talk about redundant...

Old
02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Boston overpaid for Kaberle and are doing the make a one year run team ideal thing imo though they have the wealth that they got from TO.

Col made a good deal, Elliot is useful and who knows on Anderson.

I have yet to see a deal this season that makes me feel like we have missed out on anything yet.
Considering what Versteeg and Fisher were able to pull in trades, I don't think Boston really overpaid. They have no room at center for Colborne with the amount of centers and young forwards they already have on the roster and within the system. The first is going to be in the mid-to-late 20s range and the conditional pick is well worth paying if they reach that condition (which is winning a Cup or re-signing a top tier NHL dman).

That is the price you have to pay to improve. Whether it is a one shot attempt or not remains to be seen, but as a GM, if you feel your team is close, you take the chance. Can't sit on your hands forever to wait for the "right" deal to come to you. Certain situations call for GMs to be more aggressive, and with so little sellers this year and few teams looking like legitimate contenders, this is a trade I'd make any day if I'm Boston.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
While I don't disagree with you, I think the current moves are a positive, in the sense that none of the players we are targeting are gone (I don't think we were really targeting Fisher) and some of the buyers have already made their moves. As a result, some of the players were are pursuing may have less suitors.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
One of Lewis or Richardson. Love both these guys, but talk about redundant...
After the trade deadline, there are no restrictions on the amount of players an NHL team can carry on its roster. With Parse still on IR and Loktionov eligible to return to Manchester without having to clear waivers, the Kings do have room to add another forward.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
After the trade deadline, there are no restrictions on the amount of players an NHL team can carry on its roster. With Parse still on IR and Loktionov eligible to return to Manchester without having to clear waivers, the Kings do have room to add another forward.
Oh ya...thanks.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Duc620

I prefer the Detroit model of team development. The players are all on the same page with what the team emphasizes in play and skill. It creates better chemistry. It makes it easier for players to transition from league to league (teams playing the same system). It makes it easier for players to jump into pressure situations due to injuries (not learning a new or different system or team mates). It creates a systematic and consistent view of prospects that in the long term should produce more success because the scouts get better and better looking for the things that produce a Kings system player. Hard to argue with the Red Wings record over the past few years.

Making a deal or a big move is the dessert. Not the meal. We're still bulking up.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

I'm very surprised at the return that Kaberle brought back considering he's a soon to be UFA. I can only imagine that the asking price for Hemsky just went up

Old
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I mean more as a piece that can be moved. I know the roster expands, but if we need to deal a roster player, I look towards one of those two first.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

People want to trade just to trade...has to be the right deal for Dean.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:49 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
People want to trade just to trade...has to be the right deal for Dean.
Noooo. people want to trade to improve the team. We just have different ideas about what improves the team and the benefits of improving now vs. improving later.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Noooo. people want to trade to improve the team. We just have different ideas about what improves the team and the benefits of improving now vs. improving later.
The problem is just cause you make a trade doesn't mean your going to improve your team...ask Colorado how that Hunwick trade worked out...deadline trades generally are knee jerk reactions because outside forces think "you have to make a move at the deadline". Where when you look at the previous cup winners the most you see is slight tweeking.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
The problem is just cause you make a trade doesn't mean your going to improve your team...ask Colorado how that Hunwick trade worked out...deadline trades generally are knee jerk reactions because outside forces think "you have to make a move at the deadline". Where when you look at the previous cup winners the most you see is slight tweeking.
Well.... duh.

Old
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I mean more as a piece that can be moved. I know the roster expands, but if we need to deal a roster player, I look towards one of those two first.
Ah, in that case, I can't see either one drawing much interest. Maybe Lewis might seem attractive to a rebuilding team, but I think if the Kings move a forward for any player of significance, the likely player to be moved will be Simmonds. I also don't see the team having much use of Ponikarovsky and who knows in what capacity Parse will be used once he is healthy.

Old
02-18-2011, 02:00 PM
nki

SJ is about to complete a trade, bringing in a defenseman. Feels like trade deadline...

Old
02-18-2011, 02:03 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
SJ is about to complete a trade, bringing in a defenseman. Feels like trade deadline...
according to? no1's said anything on twitter

Old
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
according to? no1's said anything on twitter
A SJ beat writer wrote it. Ian White would make sense for SJ. And the trade has happened. Derek Joslin to Carolina for future considerations.

Old
02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Well.... duh.
Well....(besides the fact that everytime I quote someone on here since avatars are gone it seems to always be you) so many people on here scream "Dean make a move!!" but give no real explanation or thought to it. There are probably dozens of moves DL could make (similar to the Ducks right now) When in reality there are only a handful of players if that that would even make since for the Kings to acquire. And everyone one of those players will cost a hefty sum. But if DL doesn't pay through the nose (like I believe Bos just did) then he is blasted on here for "not making a move".

Closed Thread