HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XII

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
swany

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I don't think the Kings can afford to give up those type of assets at this point of where the team is at.

Just too much to give up for a team that just made the playoffs last season, and are still learning how to be a consistent playoff team. We're not even Cup contenders like the Flyers, who are dumping assets for a major run at the Cup. We just can't afford to toss first round picks, top prospects for a player that is only going to stick around for a year and a half.

If we're talking Booth, I would be more in favor of that move. Its a long term contract and fits in with the Kings plans.
You use Philly as an example well look what they did, 3 years ago last place (could have been 4 years ago) but they made smart moves draft good and are now useing those assets to go after the cup. Keep those assets keep your players but there comes a time for a GM to put up or shut up. D.L. was just on Edmonton radio and stated that it is time to make a move use some assets to make a run is this just blowing smoke or does he grab a set and go for it. The Kings are close one of the best D corps around just need to tinker and you could be there, go for it as I'm also a Kings fan, with all the prospects you have stocked up what is there to wait for you could easily trade 2 prospects and still have a ton

Old
02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
R0CKET

Penner would be worth some assets (none of which being named Schenn), Hemsky OTOH is an injury waiting to happen IMO. So pass on Hemsky for me.

Old
02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Duc620

Couple points:

Like Booth but, sadly, he is one hit away from following Marc Savard out of the league.

I think we're discounting (no pun intended) how much J Williams is enjoying LA, this team, and this team's future. I think he stays.
More likely Ryan goes home at some point (when he asks).

Great news on Oscar.

Big spend by Boston. But what else are they going to do when T Thomas is as hot as this? You got to go for it. Thanks, for the insight on Kaberle, TG, incredible detail.... Boston is a narrower rink and favors north south. So a big risk, but understandable, imho.

I'd be surprised if Simmonds is on the Kings this summer.

Last edited by Duc620: 02-18-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old
02-18-2011, 04:55 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
You use Philly as an example well look what they did, 3 years ago last place (could have been 4 years ago) but they made smart moves draft good and are now useing those assets to go after the cup.
Yeah I used Philly as an example, they have a very short window to make a Cup run. Pittsburgh is the walking wounded, and Caps are struggling. I don't see a better time for the Flyers to strike deals and improve their roster for a Cup run. With the Kings, is a complete opposite situation. We are in the middle of an epic playoff race, one point less gets you out of the playoffs, one point more gets you the 4th seed in the Western Conference.

It's hell of a gamble for the Kings.

Old
02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Williams is getting resigned...

???-Kopitar-Brown(Bropitar yuck, but if we get a #1LW, good things'll happen)
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Parse-Schenn-Simmonds
Clifford-Loktionov-Lewis

Only thing we have to worry about this summer is a #1 LW.(Assuming Williams is resigned, and Simmonds/Doughty are resigned obviously.)

Old
02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Yeah I used Philly as an example, they have a very short window to make a Cup run. Pittsburgh is the walking wounded, and Caps are struggling. I don't see a better time for the Flyers to strike deals and improve their roster for a Cup run. With the Kings, is a complete opposite situation. We are in the middle of an epic playoff race, one point less gets you out of the playoffs, one point more gets you the 4th seed in the Western Conference.

It's hell of a gamble for the Kings.
It's funny. The same thing occurred to me thinking about team development. Some teams are just one or two deals away from dropping from playoff contender to hurting. And then they hurt for a long long time - Sens, Leafs, Sabres. They all have their reasons and justifications. All valid. But if they blow it, they are screwed big time. Slow and patient for me.

I'd rather take the hits now and fall out of the early rounds while developing the team and assets. In a couple years, we'll be a perennial threat. A feared team. That's when you add one or two pieces (like a Hossa) just before the playoffs. You can afford to give up a couple of things because there's so much in the pool. And then it doesn't damage the franchise or hurt long term development.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Kingjordan

I would love nothing more than to see Booth in a Kings Uniform

Old
02-18-2011, 05:15 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
I would love nothing more than to see Booth in a Kings Uniform
+1

He has injure concerns but when healthy he is awesome.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:21 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
+1

He has injure concerns but when healthy he is awesome.
maybe his history of injuries means we could get him on clearance. Id be willing to take a little bit of a chance with booth, depending on what we would have to send back the other way.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:24 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Couple points:

Like Booth but, sadly, he is one hit away from following Marc Savard out of the league.

I think we're discounting (no pun intended) how much J Williams is enjoying LA, this team, and this team's future. I think he stays.
More likely Ryan goes home at some point (when he asks).

Great news on Oscar.

Big spend by Boston. But what else are they going to do when T Thomas is as hot as this? You got to go for it. Thanks, for the insight on Kaberle, TG, incredible detail.... Boston is a narrower rink and favors north south. So a big risk, but understandable, imho.

I'd be surprised if Simmonds is on the Kings this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Williams is getting resigned...

???-Kopitar-Brown(Bropitar yuck, but if we get a #1LW, good things'll happen)
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Parse-Schenn-Simmonds
Clifford-Loktionov-Lewis

Only thing we have to worry about this summer is a #1 LW.(Assuming Williams is resigned, and Simmonds/Doughty are resigned obviously.)
I think discounts and how much a player enjoys playing somewhere are read into far too much. It wouldn't shock me in the least if he wound up elsewhere.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:25 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
It's funny. The same thing occurred to me thinking about team development. Some teams are just one or two deals away from dropping from playoff contender to hurting. And then they hurt for a long long time - Sens, Leafs, Sabres. They all have their reasons and justifications. All valid. But if they blow it, they are screwed big time. Slow and patient for me.

I'd rather take the hits now and fall out of the early rounds while developing the team and assets. In a couple years, we'll be a perennial threat. A feared team. That's when you add one or two pieces (like a Hossa) just before the playoffs. You can afford to give up a couple of things because there's so much in the pool. And then it doesn't damage the franchise or hurt long term development.
I think that many people fail to realize that the playoffs are hugely different from the regular season and that this team is still learning how to win. Just to win one playoff round this year would be a HUGE step forward...forget about winning the SC.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:27 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Everyone is missung a HUGE element here, perhaos the most important one. Williams resigning, to me, mostly hinges on this years playoffs. We miss them or get bounced quickly and I think he's gone. Win a round and he likely stays.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Everyone is missung a HUGE element here, perhaos the most important one. Williams resigning, to me, mostly hinges on this years playoffs. We miss them or get bounced quickly and I think he's gone. Win a round and he likely stays.
boy I hope you are wrong!!

Old
02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Shellz

Kings scouts at the Panthers and Wings game tonight.

Might not mean much, but ya never know

Old
02-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post

They have been scouting the hell out of the Panthers lately

Old
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
If we were getting Booth, it should have been done by now. With the way the Panthers have been going lately, it should have only taken a 4th round pick and future considerations Where was Lombardi on Grabner and Frolik?

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
02-18-2011, 05:54 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I think Grabner was waivers....good pickup though...could be a good late-bloomer...hands catching up with feet someone said.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I think Grabner was waivers....good pickup though...could be a good late-bloomer...hands catching up with feet someone said.
That just means that he was free and the Panthers had no other option than to give him up to a rival. I bet we could of had him for absolutely nothing. A 6th round pick or one of our bottom dweller prospects.

Old
02-18-2011, 06:01 PM
kingchuckb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
That just means that he was free and the Panthers had no other option than to give him up to a rival. I bet we could of had him for absolutely nothing. A 6th round pick or one of our bottom dweller prospects.
Well- that is assuming Tallon bothered shopping him... My guess is he didn't, someone would have given him something if he had. I think their was a quote somewhere saying he though Grabner would pass through(not sure why....)

Old
02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Orenji

One reason I think we won't trade for a few more days or till the deadline is due to the road trip. We might wait till we get back home before switching things up. Finish the ten game road trip (or at least get to Anaheim) and then make all the moves.

Old
02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
One reason I think we won't trade for a few more days or till the deadline is due to the road trip. We might wait till we get back home before switching things up. Finish the ten game road trip (or at least get to Anaheim) and then make all the moves.
If we are going to make any moves, that's what I think will happen, too. Wait until the team is back home, assess the situation, and if a trade is lined up, pull the trigger, then. Plus, if a roster player is going to go the other way, DL probably doesn't want to shake up the team too bad on a good road trip.

Old
02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He wasn't being shopped. The Panthers had no interest in moving him. They just didn't think he was NHL ready and wanted him playing for their AHL affiliate, but he had to go through waivers first. Tallon didn't think anyone would claim him.

Old
02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
boy I hope you are wrong!!
Why? Because you don't think we'll make the playoffs or that we aren't capable of winning a round? If that's true, why are you also then against sacrificing some assets to bolster this years team?

Old
02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchuckb View Post
Well- that is assuming Tallon bothered shopping him... My guess is he didn't, someone would have given him something if he had. I think their was a quote somewhere saying he though Grabner would pass through(not sure why....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
He wasn't being shopped. The Panthers had no interest in moving him. They just didn't think he was NHL ready and wanted him playing for their AHL affiliate, but he had to go through waivers first. Tallon didn't think anyone would claim him.
Which only further proves in my mind just how off the wall Tallon is. You know, compared to his value today, that he could have been had for a song regardless.

Old
02-18-2011, 06:24 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post

I like Zetterberg. Datsyuk would be OK, too.

Closed Thread