HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #60 @ New Jersey Devils

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #60 @ New Jersey Devils
Henrik Lundqvist 82 93.18%
Other 6 6.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
the Torts bashing is getting ridiculous. have you bothered to examine the roster he ices each and every game? Torts is what this team needs right now in a coach. Got a lot of young guys developing and more on the way. The kids are getting experience at the NHL level playing precious minutes a game that will further them along.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:52 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Well yea looks like the old Devils are back!!!!

Gotta say though, is it me or does our young team look like they are collectively hitting the wall?
Pretty much. We wanted it, we got it. Let's just hope all it is, is a youth slump, and not some kind of issue with actual talent.

02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Moosehead777

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Simple question, what has Tortorella done for NYR since being hired?

He walked into the playoffs after being set up by Renney and blew the series by benching Avery and being a giant hypocrite in game 6.

We miss the playoffs.

Now we sit at 31-25-4. No better than the 31-23-7 record that Renney had when he was fired.

Now I don't want Torts fired because I think it would be bad for the team seeing as how young it is, changing coaches again for most of these guys wouldn't go over well. But what the hell Torts.

Earn something.
You have to fire Tort just to shake things up..........

Nothing more nothing less........

This team is mostly 3rd liners......

Fans are pissed because they expected what they got early but eventually if you smoke 2 packs a day it catches up to you.......

And the system being played and a bunch of 3rd liners is catching up to the Rangers.......

Moosehead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
the Torts bashing is getting ridiculous. have you bothered to examine the roster he ices each and every game? Torts is what this team needs right now in a coach. Got a lot of young guys developing and more on the way.
Barbara Underhill has done more for this team then Torts has

again, I don't want him fired, it would be bad for this time. Sometimes firing a coach can inspire a team (Devils) but it would end this team for this season, just what I think their mental makeup is and I think they all buy into torts... just want him to figure **** out.

Like hey Torts, if you're not a good X's and O's guy, why isn't your assistant coach a good X's and O's guy? I know you have a huge crush on Sullivan, but maybe cut the cord and bring in some guy with a hockey brain that can actually run a successful PP.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 1050
Who is that guy "Other" in the poll? Is he new...?

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Like hey Torts, if you're not a good X's and O's guy, why isn't your assistant coach a good X's and O's guy? I know you have a huge crush on Sullivan, but maybe cut the cord and bring in some guy with a hockey brain that can actually run a successful PP.
I remember hearing the same argument about Perry Pearn during Renney's tenure here. Now Pearn is running the 10th best power play in Montreal.

The problem isn't with the guys coaching the power play. The problem is with the players that are being put out there.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:58 PM
trilobyte

Hmm. It's not a case of firing the coach, but the shuffling of players is kind of extreme. I don't see any kind of cohesion (my word for that overworked 'chemistry' thingee) on the lines.

Call me crazy, and I could be missing the genius in his approach, but I think the never ending juggling (not talking about what needs to be done when injuries occur) is detrimental and self-defeating.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think it's safe to say it's not just you.

You see an old Devils team just manning up in the stretch and our young guys just literally pushed to the periphery the entire game. Forget about every shot challenged, every pass is challenged. They just look slow and unable to muster the energy to let their grit carry their lack of skill....

I have concerns

silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I remember hearing the same argument about Perry Pearn during Renney's tenure here. Now Pearn is running the 10th best power play in Montreal.

The problem isn't with the guys coaching the power play. The problem is with the players that are being put out there.
I'd agree with you, however, the personnel on the power play now is MUCH...MUCH different then it was when Pearn was here.

Sullivan isn't doing it right, just like Pearn wasn't doing it right. Both of them failed to institute the right system that fit the squad.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead777 View Post
You have to fire Tort just to shake things up..........

Nothing more nothing less........
To rash... its such a young team. They looked young tonight. They looked like boys playing vs Men. Still a 1-0 game, mainly thanks to our Elite goaltender.

Hitting the wall hurts

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Well that was a boring game.

And pathetic.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
I'd agree with you, however, the personnel on the power play now is MUCH...MUCH different then it was when Pearn was here.

Sullivan isn't doing it right, just like Pearn wasn't doing it right. Both of them failed to institute the right system that fit the squad.
Nothing fits this squad because we're vastly devoid of talent.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

Yet the same weaknesses that plagued Pearn's squad still plagues this current Rangers team... no legitimate PP QB. What strategy can be employed when the defensemen cannot complete a pass, keep the puck in at the blueline, or hit the net?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
JimmyStart*

The Good: Hank
The Bad: Everything else...also why is hank so great in shootouts but always gets burned on breakwaways now?
The Redden: Name something. I'll say EC and MDZ missing open nets. We lead the league in shots missed on wide open nets.

I'm glad I got my excitement out of this year. if this was last year 'd be breaking my TV.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:08 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:

What would be the right system? Who is the natural point man on our roster? Del Zotto is a hollow shell of what he was last season. Wolski got the job by default and has done nothing with it. Zuccarello looks much better when he can make passes off the half boards; he's another example of putting a square peg in a round hole on the point on the PP. Staal is going to collapse if his minutes don't come down. His services are more valuable on the PK and at even strength against other teams' best players. Gaborik... I don't even know what to say about Gaborik on the power play because I don't ever actually notice his presence there.

Than you've got the usual suspects of Christensen, Boyle, Dubi, and Callahan. Christensen is a waste if the game doesn't go to a shootout. It didn't take a genius to predict that Boyle was going to slow down as far as goal scoring. Dubi and Callahan work hard and can bang in some dirty goals but when a team is playing as well defensively as the Devils it can be tough to get those opportunities.

I look at this roster and I am not in the least surprised that our power play sucks. Coaches can't produce talent. Talent is what scores goals on power plays.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:10 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
Devils are te most boring team in the league. They outplayed us defensively obviously but I would never want my team to play like that
The Devils puck movement was very very good tonight. They were fast, their defense was mobile and they looked like they should be playing in a higher league compared to the Rangers.

The idiots couldn't even complete a pass tape-to-tape. I have never seen a hockey team step on the ice without a clue of what to do like the Rangers.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Codc

Just a quick question here.

I saw you guys only had 16SOG, how bad was the trap?

Codc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:13 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Oh and I am willing to bet large sums of money it's going to come down to the final game of the season and only one of the Rangers or Devils will be able to make it. It's scary how things fall into place in Rangerland.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:34 PM
trilobyte

This wasn't really the mid 90's to early 2000's Devils game. They simply outplayed the Rangers.
The big advantage goes to the team that can move the puck. The Rangers really don't know how to do it.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
I hate the excuses from some people. "X [superior] isn't doing X right". It's all on the players. This team is not talented enough to sustain throughout the year the way the were playing earlier in the season. It's a very tiring style. We need players like Gaborik, Wolski, Stepan, Ansimov, and Zuccarello showing their skill level. They've shown it before, they need to do it more. It'll come with time, but for players like Gaborik and Wolski, they need to wake the **** up. Freakin' gifted as hell and they can't even enter the offensive zone. I don't care if the Devils were playing the trap or not, you figure out a way to bypass it. That's the real problem with this team. The intelligence level on this team is at Peewee levels.

Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
Devils are te most boring team in the league. They outplayed us defensively obviously but I would never want my team to play like that
Winning > everything. I don't care if we get 5 shots every night, if we win, I'm happy.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:43 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Winning > everything. I don't care if we get 5 shots every night, if we win, I'm happy.
Not to mention they really weren't trapping. We just suck.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
That style hasn't won anything in a long time.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
That style hasn't won anything in a long time.
And neither have the Rangers. We're at even grounds, folks.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:51 PM
devilpop

forgive me if Im wrong as I havent had the time to watch much Ranger games this year, but I remember hearing they were playing the trap earlier this season? If that's the case was everyone complaining about it then?

and honestly tonight wasn't much of a trap game from the Devils

devilpop is offline   Reply With Quote