HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XII

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not.

I'm not one to feel it is a victory to make the playoffs if losing a Schenn or a Voynov is the price of making the playoffs. The team is on an 8-0-3 run and will get Sturm back shortly. Does adding Booth, Penner, or Hemsky (the only legit options) make the team THAT much better? Anson Carter anyone?????
I didn't say trade schenn (though I would for the right player... read-parise) voynov I love but find much more expendable.

I'm talking about trading ppl like tuebert, vey, parse, Richardson, our 1st etc.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:17 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Perhaps, perhaps not.

I'm not one to feel it is a victory to make the playoffs if losing a Schenn or a Voynov is the price of making the playoffs. The team is on an 8-0-3 run and will get Sturm back shortly. Does adding Booth, Penner, or Hemsky (the only legit options) make the team THAT much better? Anson Carter anyone?????
I didn't say trade schenn (though I would for the right player... read-parise) voynov I love but find much more expendable.

I'm talking about trading ppl like tuebert, vey, parse, Richardson, our 1st etc.

Don't you dare ever mention anson Carter again! Lol.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
All three of those guys are much better players than Anson Carter was unless you just use stats sheets to evaluate players. Carter could score but often times he'd score meaningless goals (in a blowout for either club).
At the time, there were a large group of fans who spent literally years excoriating Dave Taylor for not acquiring Carter...he was the Penner/Hemsky of his time. The chorus of cheering from the Carter faction was loud and boisterous when he was finally acquired. He was the "savior" that would lead us to the playoffs. 15 games and 1 point later...along with an 11 game losing streak...not so much.

The point? It is EXTREMELY risky to pay significant assets in the hopes that 1 player will click over the last 20 games of the year. If Penner or Hemsky come in and stink up the joint, then you have them for next year before they are gone (or re-signed to an inflated contract). Not smart.

I would be fine with Booth if the price is modest since at least he is signed for 3-4 more years.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

well, if those guys could fetch a Hemsky then more power to DL....and Edmonton fans should lynch their GM. I guess we'll find out...or not.

And sorry about mentioning Carter!! He was the Hemsky/Penner of 5 years ago though

Old
02-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Again Carter was garbage compared to these 3 guys, Booth if not for the concussions would be a nice addition. That said Florida might hang onto him unless they get their socks knocked off and if given the choice between him and the Ednonton duo, I take the Edmonton guys. That said I'd take Booth over the rest of the guys out there.

02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
tomd

Quote:
Again Carter was garbage compared to these 3 guys, Booth if not for the concussions would be a nice addition. That said Florida might hang onto him unless they get their socks knocked off and if given the choice between him and the Ednonton duo, I take the Edmonton guys. That said I'd take Booth over the rest of the guys out there.
You should find the archives here and at LGK to see how fanatic the Carter contingent was. Not disagreeing with you but just pointing out that the fans are usually not the best judges of talent or who can help a team.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
You should find the archives here and at LGK to see how fanatic the Carter contingent was. Not disagreeing with you but just pointing out that the fans are usually not the best judges of talent or who can help a team.
Fair enough.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:27 PM
HeadInjury

In 2003, there were those advocating trading two first round picks to acquire him.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
no name

I remember there being more skeptics than fanboys regarding Carter. Sure, he caused some excitement but the Kings gave up nothing for him really.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:54 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Different team, different GM but I suppose that history is somewhat worth examining in trying to get a peek at the big picture.

Carter was a hail mary from a gm who knew that his job had been lost short of a cup run.

We were nowhere near the same amount of depth as a team/org back then.

The thing that I always tell myself is that we are now venturing into virgin waters as a team and as fans and that is why there are so many panic driven reactions by us. Watching dumpster Dean work over the past five years reminds of playing/working for Brian Killer Kilrea way back in the day. Guys like these are different. They see something and decide that it is the only way to win and they go after it with a blind passion, right or wrong.

DL started building depth and spending just enough to give us what we need to see as fans as he put his plan into place from the start. Now we are set up the middle in my opinion. We are set on the blue line for years to come. We are set in goal. We are a year away from seeing our skill wings start paying dividends but still need to add depth another for a year or two before we are set for years to come.

So close today and I honestly never really thought during my time as a fan that we would ever slow down and do it. Prior to this time with our team my favorite time as a fan, with the exception of the idea that having 99 on the team meant we could win a cup was when Jimmy Carson and Luc were rookies. We had a massive depth of talented kids both up front and on the blue line along with one of the greatest centers of all time to round out our veteran core, all we needed was an actual goalie.

We were very close then and since we have had a glimpse at the cup and then one horrible mess after another with rushed garbage shoved down our throats all the while being told that we were building a contender.

Well when you look back at Carter look back at our teams history and tell me one time when we had this type of team and system depth. Show me were we have ever been so close to being set for years at each position on the farm. Show me when we could point at our team and see the one or maybe at the outside two players that would give us everything we need to win the cup.

I don't know, all apologies for my rant but watching DL work and seeing where we are and then looking at how hyper critical we are being just made me think, that and it is Friday after a going away party and all. I am tired and rambling.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:26 AM
johnjm22

Another goal for Kovalev tonight. 9 points (6g, 3a) in his last 8 games. He's been excellent.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Another goal for Kovalev tonight. 9 points (6g, 3a) in his last 8 games. He's been excellent.
I'm interested in seeing what he will command in trade.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:29 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Another Pitts rumored deal. Kovalev would look good in a Pens uni. UFA rental with skill but plays when he feels like it. I like him. Any chance he can get seriously injured and heal up before the 22nd?

Old
02-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

We took a look at Hemsky and the very valuable P/60 stat. Sharing is caring.

http://lakingsnews.com/2011/02/18/la...w-ales-hemsky/

Old
02-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
We took a look at Hemsky and the very valuable P/60 stat. Sharing is caring.

http://lakingsnews.com/2011/02/18/la...w-ales-hemsky/
What do you think he'll command in trade?

Old
02-19-2011, 12:34 AM
johnjm22

I'd rather have a motivated Kovalev than a healthy Hemsky. He'd be cheaper too.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:37 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Another solid effort Zad.

I stand on my position regarding AH, he is one seriously nifty player but his constant injury status makes me feel worried.

Its gonna be an interesting few days but then you can say the same thing about each trade deadline.

To anyone who doesn't check out Surly and Scribe, you are missing out on allot of well written interesting stuff about hockey in general and the Kings specifically.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Orenji

Kovalev will be a Penguin, I think.

And no Kings rumors for the past day. Weird.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post

Kovalev to the Pens makes a lot of sense.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:40 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post

Westgarth for Parise

Amirite?

Old
02-19-2011, 12:44 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Westgarth and Richardson

for

Parise.

Though I want to wait for the next two weeks while we learn about the alleged further damage to his (ZP) knee.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
What do you think he'll command in trade?
That is the question isn't it?

A healthy Hemsky without injury problems this season would have commanded a solid defensive prospect (top 4), a sandpaper but skilled bottom 6 forward and a 1st.

Add an early season injury and missing 10 games or less and that first may become a second.

With his current injuries and arguably his inability to stay healthy, a decent defensive prospect, a decent bottom 6 forward and a 1st. The 1st is for his potential to stay healthy.

From the Kings, I would guess Muzzin, Hickey or Tuebert + Lewis, Richardson and a 1st, possibly a conditional one based on the number of games he plays or the Kings' success.

Now, ask me if I give that up for him?

Old
02-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Make the deal, Hemsky will turn Kopitar into a lethal threat.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
02-19-2011, 12:48 AM
johnjm22

I'd rather move Lewis than Richardson. But regardless, one of them is going to get moved. They're basically the exact same type of player.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Orenji

If we're going for Hemsky, it won't be till deadline day if we aren't giving up Schenn.

Oilers will take all the time they want and goad Lombardi into putting up Schenn. They'll probably keep bluffing each other until one side overpays or Lombardi says **** it and trades for Booth.

Closed Thread