HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Summer practice shooting surfaces.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:02 AM
flamer82

vCash: 500
Summer practice shooting surfaces.

I'm from Australia and i used to use a sheet of pvc plastic its 3mm the company i used to work for had sheets about 2x1 metres i found it was great for putting out in the back yard and shooting on but over time its slowly cracked and i'm now at the point where i don't really have any pieces to shoot on so i was wondering whether or not anyone knows where to get anymore or maybe even other surfaces people use in summer time to do some shooting practice on. I really dont want to get anything off the internet from a specific website im more looking for something that is crap and cheap that i can get. Thanks for any info.

flamer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamer82 View Post
I'm from Australia and i used to use a sheet of pvc plastic its 3mm the company i used to work for had sheets about 2x1 metres i found it was great for putting out in the back yard and shooting on but over time its slowly cracked and i'm now at the point where i don't really have any pieces to shoot on so i was wondering whether or not anyone knows where to get anymore or maybe even other surfaces people use in summer time to do some shooting practice on. I really dont want to get anything off the internet from a specific website im more looking for something that is crap and cheap that i can get. Thanks for any info.
Thrifty Whiteboard...$11.87 USD at Lowe's last time I bought one, it's 8 x 4 feet (2.439 x 1.219 meters), but I had them cut it at the hardware store in half (two 4x4), and then one of the halves in half (two 2x4) so that I could get them into my car.

Spray on WD-40, wipe it down with paper towels or a rag and let it dry off a minute, and then you are good to go.

This summer I took the board out to an outdoor squash court and shot pucks at the walls there. 15 foot tall cinderblock walls on 3 sides and a fence behind me kept everything relatively contained.

By the end of the summer, the thing was pretty much ruined from dirt and rain scratching it up pretty badly, but hey, it was $3 worth of board. Just don't store them where they could get wet, they will warp.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 02-19-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:54 AM
HowToHockey

I use a roll-up shooting pad, which is a thin piece of HDPE. In my opinion it is the best stuff I have used, but it costs over $100 for a 8x4 sheet.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
flamer82

Thanks guys i appreciate it.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Fleuryoutside29

If you're looking to spend even less you can use a piece of cardboard. Its not the best but it gets the job done.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:27 PM
flamer82

Yea i thought about it i grabbed an old fridge box from work and that was ok but i found a broken sign yesterday thats the PVC plastic so i now have that used it for a while last night and pissed off all the neighbours

I noticed since I've been shooting off the boards a couple months ago my shot has got a lot better but is there any specific things i should be working on to get my shot a lot harder??

Old
03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
rwr

get a sheet of acrylic and spray it with pledge

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
my little bro uses an old piece of smooth sheet metal (galvanized steel i think)

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote