HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sheldon Souray Clears Re-Entry Waivers

Old
02-19-2011, 11:55 AM
glucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of the loonie View Post
This is reassuring. We don't really need him.
we're dressing Lebda.

LEBDA.

strange though, that nobody has been called up from the AHL to replace Kaberle... is Burke close to another move?

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Pepper

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Ducks.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Eriktion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I disagree, with the mad scramble for D, this is best chance to move him. If nobody wants him now at half price, nobody wants him....ever
You really think so? You think that teams won't learn from this for next year and try to get some extra depth in the off season or early next season? If Tambo was a little more patient I believe the Oilers potentially be able to get rid of Souray and maybe get a small asset back (say 6th rounder+salary dump). I mean that's honestly better than nothing, with Stu Macgregor drafting we got Brandon Davidson in the 6th round in 2010 and he's looking to be like a player.

Eriktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
welp. welcome to the Rangers

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:01 PM
boredmale

In all honesty why the hell didn't the Oilers do this at the beginning of the season, would have saved them alot of cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAwe View Post
Per Bob McKenzie's Twitter: "Sheldon Souray on re-entry waivers."
At $2.7m who wants him?
For teams not up against the cap salary of 2.25M

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:05 PM
burnabyjoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Glen

Just say no

Just say no

Just say no

No means no Glen

lol, my thoughts exactly. I think that Sather just can't help but make one bone head move per year- and, consider his need for a dman at the moment, this could be it!

burnabyjoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriktion View Post
You really think so? You think that teams won't learn from this for next year and try to get some extra depth in the off season or early next season? If Tambo was a little more patient I believe the Oilers potentially be able to get rid of Souray and maybe get a small asset back (say 6th rounder+salary dump). I mean that's honestly better than nothing, with Stu Macgregor drafting we got Brandon Davidson in the 6th round in 2010 and he's looking to be like a player.
The Souray issue is much deeper than him as a player. GM's around the league are using him as an example to other players who could possibly develop his type of attitude. Hockey is very much like that. Happened to Iverson in the NBA as well. He could help an NBA team at this stage but "Practice?"... yea...

Right now, desperation is EDM's friend in this

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Souray for Boogaard take it or leave it

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
gotmonte

I hate to say this, but I am almost COMPLETELY CONVINCED THE NEW YORK RANGERS CLAIM HIM.

Sather has been missing the boat with some trades here. And we need a BIG shot from the point, Kab's is gone.. So if they feel the price for McCabe is too HIGH, they they would try and convince sheldon's team to put him on re-entry and only be on the hook for HALF of his salary.

please, if there EVER was going to be a topic I was going to be wrong on, PLEASE OH PLEASE LET IT BE THIS!

I want Pitkanen or mcCabe, now I fear its SHELDON we get

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I think if he trades for Souray it'd be even funnier.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Tarpan

Souray has always been slow. It has never stopped him from performing at a high level before and I don't think it will now. This is a great deal for whoever gets him.

Tarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
habs1988

If he costs 2.7M this year, does he cost the same next year? Or he would cost full salary (5M?)?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Tarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
If he costs 2.7M this year, does he cost the same next year? Or he would cost full salary (5M?)?
The same next year. Edmonton will be paying half his salary for the remainder of this year and all of next year if he's claimed.

Tarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
If a team picks him up they pay him 2.25M(caphit of 2.7M) next year. As for the rest of this season that contract gets prorated for roughly 1/3 of the season

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers scouted Souray two weeks ago weren't impressed with him.

Quote:
“You want to like him,” said a source familiar with the Rangers activities over the weekend. “But you can’t deny what your eyes are seeing.”

Rangers scouts dispatched to three Hershey Bears games over the weekend came away with serious concerns over Souray’s foot speed at the American League level, let alone how that pace would translate to the National Hockey League.

Too many speedsters were beating Souray at the AHL level for the Rangers to convince themselves that the shunned Edmonton Oilers defenceman could help them at the NHL level
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...couts_rangers/

Quote:
Sounds like Oilers putting Souray out there on spec. Nothing to lose for Oil but no calls from another org asking for the move.
https://twitter.com/#!/SportsnetSpec...12181332860928

Quote:
EDM realizes dmen are hot commodity right now and hoping someone will see Souray as good value. A claim has not been pre-arranged, I am told
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...14532772925440

Edmonton is doing what Lou did with Rolston. Hoping some team claims him.

The Rangers had a deal worked with Dallas for Avery on re-entry.

Not the case here for any team.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Beendair Donedat

I hope he comes "home" to Montreal... We could definitely use him right now.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

I don't think he'll be claimed

But I wouldn't go on a rampage if Anaheim took him. They won't though.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Hemsky4PM

I think Souray still has some personal pride. It is a tough thing to deal with to spend a decade + in the NHL and then go back to the minors. He's also been hampered by injuries this season (not a shock at all).

I think if he is claimed he will at least demonstrate some pride in himself and work very hard to legitimize his place in the NHL. Health might hinder that, but he's still capable of being in the NHL.

2.25M next season is less than the Oilers are paying Jim Vandermeer this season and less than the Flames are paying Steve Staios this season.

Someone will take a change on Souray at half price.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Mr Sakich

these twitter claims that tambo doesn't have a deal are pure specualtion. Tambo plays his cards very very close to the vest. He got truly pissed at another gm ( murray I think during the heatley saga) who leaked trade specualtion details. He never publicly talks , ever.

The only way the bloggers could say he hasn't made prior arrangements is if they called all other 29 GM and that didn't happen.

Tambo may have a deal with someone to pick up Souray.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

I think Tambo is doing it right. A couple of teams might be interested due to injuries or holes left through trades. Then next year, it's not impossible that the team has to put him on waiver due to cap issues and/or Souay not performing. Which would now make the second half of his salary split between the 2 other teams (if a third team claims him), if I'm not mistaken, Edmonton would be off the hook after that.

So for those saying Tambo should have done this earlier, I'm not so sure, that scenario is unlikely at the beginning of the season.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

at that price someone will pick up him for sure

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Moneypuck

I hope Souray lights it up between now and the end of the year, let everyone know really how incompetent Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini really are.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Thanks gosh!
????????????

There is no advantage at all for the Oilers to do this - unless by some miracle he actually clears waivers. At half salary I think the odds of Souray clearing are about 5%.

If he gets claimed, we save half the salary but half the salary is now counting against our cap. In Hershey, zero salary counted against the cap. If he is claimed the only benefit is that Katz saves a few bucks.

If he clears, then we could actually get something in exchange for him and have no cap hit. It would be a miracle if this happens, IMO.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:31 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
I hope Souray lights it up between now and the end of the year, let everyone know really how incompetent Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini really are.
what? souray did this to himself. you don't bash an organization then try and make amends but tell people you don't regret what you did. now he's stuck with no team wanting him.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Elever
Hth

Colorado. They'll give up power forward David Jones plus young dman prospect Stefan Elliot or Tyson Barrie because clearly based on reputation, Souray is worth that

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote