HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assuming We Make the Playoffs, is there Any Chance We could be a Sleeper Team?

Old
02-19-2011, 11:46 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Assuming We Make the Playoffs, is there Any Chance We could be a Sleeper Team?

I think we can beat anyone in the first round except Philly. If Philly is somehow ousted before we'd be matched up against them I say we could have an unlikely run to an ECF at most. The other big threatening team against us is Pittsburgh, however they are without their second best player for the rest of the season. No one besides Philly has shown that they're worth betting the house on though so with an upset, some luck, and a lot of "grinding it out", I think this team can make it to the ECF. Obviously not a safe bet though.

At best, how far can this team go in your opinion?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
If they can somehow play like they did in the first half, it's somewhat possible. However, I hope people don't look at Philly last year as an example. That was a team that was finally able to put it together at the end of the season (didn't they have a lot of injuries too?). Now they're in first place in the East which goes to show that they weren't a fluke. I don't feel like the Rangers are of that caliber.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:56 AM
chip chipperson*

we can beat any team because we have hank. he will always give us a legitamet shot. but if guys like gabby dubi cally and staal dont elevate their game, i dont see us making it through the 1st round, if we make the playoffs at all. also powerplay needs to be better

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Henke means they can always f some teams up

02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I think we can beat anyone in the first round except Philly. If Philly is somehow ousted before we'd be matched up against them I say we could have an unlikely run to an ECF at most. The other big threatening team against us is Pittsburgh, however they are without their second best player for the rest of the season. No one besides Philly has shown that they're worth betting the house on though so with an upset, some luck, and a lot of "grinding it out", I think this team can make it to the ECF. Obviously not a safe bet though.

At best, how far can this team go in your opinion?
We could be a sleeper that could make it all the way to the finals.

All teams in the PO's have a chance -- if they are durable. If your core is old and fragile, its tough to last all the way. But we have a goaltender our core could probably keep going as long as any team.

I mean, you do not have to beat good teams to make it all the way to the finals. Like let's say that Hank stands on his head and steals the first round, in the second round we play Pittsburgh who won their round, but lost Crosby in the 7th game. We could beat a Pitt team without Crosby and Malkin. Then we play another banged up team in the ECF's.

At the same time, we could get swept struggling to get more then 15 shots on avg per net with Torts behind his net. A Torts coached team would never beat a good team, that's just how it is. He is stuck in the pre-lockout era. No transition game. No puckmovement.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Dorado*

We will be a sleeper as in sleeping in late and playing mid day rounds of golf

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

We could be a sleeper team in one round, maybe two. But we couldn't win the Cup.

This is why we have the "just get in and anything can happen!" debate every year. If you were talking about the NFL, I would agree with that philosophy. In the NHL, however, you're talking about winning four seven game series, where in each series the higher seeded team has home court advantage. The playoffs are specifically designed to prevent mediocre teams on hot streaks from going all the way.

This is why every year I will be in favor of selling at the deadline - until such time as we are clearly a top echelon team with the core pieces in place for a Cup run. THEN, you go pick up rentals.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Stepanformayor*

Marc Staal and Marion Gaborik may be 2 of the most overrated players in hockey. It will be very tough to make any waves in the playoffs if these 2 guys don't start to figure it out. Hank bailed Staal out at least twice again last night, that i saw.. All you need is a little speed around the end and you walk right around him. Gaborik? What else can you say that hasn't already been said? IMO he will never see 30 goals in a season again. He can't even making the simple plays anymore.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

simple answer.

theoretically, yes.
most likely, no.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:52 PM
broadwayblue

no. not our year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Ani simov mal

If we play like we did in the beginning of the season - yes. If we play like were playing now, then we have no business to be in the playoffs.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
We will be a sleeper as in sleeping in late and playing mid day rounds of golf
this....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

shhh! I'm sleeping!

02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Marc Staal and Marion Gaborik may be 2 of the most overrated players in hockey. It will be very tough to make any waves in the playoffs if these 2 guys don't start to figure it out. Hank bailed Staal out at least twice again last night, that i saw.. All you need is a little speed around the end and you walk right around him. Gaborik? What else can you say that hasn't already been said? IMO he will never see 30 goals in a season again. He can't even making the simple plays anymore.
May be right about gabs but your staal comments seem to be completely out of nowhere are you just analyzing players in a vacuum and making general statements about them or have you noticed some trend in their games over the years with gabs especially who's coming off a fantastic year...

Also it is now a "anything can happen" PO in the NHL but when you're a team like the Rangers way too much has to happen. So I wouldn't recommend believing too much b/c it will hurt...but I wouldn't begrudge anyone for thinking all you need is to make the dance b/c that's true now...but you have to make the dance and be a team not just a team carried by a single star.

The Rangers are def a team this year and they can have a chance against anyone...not a high chance with most teams but i wouldn't give them no chance

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Stepanformayor*

Regarding Staal. I'm just not a big fan. I think he can play better. He doesn't play with much intensity.. He is easily beaten wide whenever he defends someone with any speed. He's not overly aggressive and he doesn't put up big points.
IMO he's not among the leauge's best like some people might try to make you think.
Just my opinion i guess.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:45 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Regarding Staal. I'm just not a big fan. I think he can play better. He doesn't play with much intensity.. He is easily beaten wide whenever he defends someone with any speed. He's not overly aggressive and he doesn't put up big points.
IMO he's not among the leauge's best like some people might try to make you think.
Just my opinion i guess.
The guy has to pace himself to play the amount of minutes he plays. You can't go balls to the wall 25 minutes a night. If Staal is your complaint on the team, you've got issues.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Not going to read the rest of the thread because it's sure to be filled with "hahaha! we're not even going to make the playoffs!"

But if we do I feel comfortable playing most teams except Philly and Boston.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:49 PM
HAPPY HOUR

8th place would be bad. We just don't match up well with Philly.

I like our chances much better as the 7th seed.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:51 PM
UDnyr92

simply, let's get to the playoffs before thinking about what could happen when we get there...
we all know how close we were last year, so just make it to the playoffs and its a successful season for this young developing team. the window of opportunity could just about to open up in the next few years with our core hitting their primes and big time prospects showing up. LGR!!

UDnyr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 640
Maybe a sleeper as in they will be playing as if they are sleeping while getting swept through the first round. Hopefully not, though.

02-19-2011, 10:05 PM
dynamoovechkin

Sure we have a chance to upset a team or two, why not? And also, you know what? As good as the Flyers have been, we could beat them too.

Call me crazy, but the hockey Gods owe us one.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Dorado*

Mark your calendar Beware the Ides of March . March 15 we play the isles . Devs play Atl and sadly I'm feeling this is the day the Devs tie or pass us in the standings . Perhaps could be a Romans ( torts ) assassination as well ( firing ) . Not looking good boys NJ schedule down the stretch is far easier than ours .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:43 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Any team with a goalie as good as Henrik can be a sleeper. But then I'm drunk right now so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:14 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

The way we have been playing that's a big no.

Unless we magically learn how to produce offensively we aren't going anywhere this year.

If we play like we played early in the year then it is possible to win a round or so.

02-19-2011, 11:53 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
look at philly last year. a team that gets hot at the right time can just barrel through the playoffs. even when philly was down 3-0 vs boston they didnt stop. this is still a transition year for this team so i dont know whats going to happen i honestly dont see this team making the playoffs

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:12 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Henke = yes. He's been weak in some games this year but big games usually bring out the best in him.

Our team's determination and overall cohesiveness should also stand out during the playoffs. I always felt like our team wasn't really tight enough during our Drury-Gomez run, but now I love seeing how we stick up for each other and battle through games. We've just been bit by the scoring bug lately which seems to get us every season. Hopefully, we turn on the turbo boosters post trade deadline and everyone is healthy and playing at 100%. Guys like Callahan and Dubinsky developing this season should have a great carry over effect into the playoffs. Those two were like made for the playoffs. Real warriors.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote