HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Aquaman contacted stern about NBA team in Vancouver?

Old
02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
silvercanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by getty images View Post
Vancouver is not a top 20 global city. Please. That is another argument completely.
London, Paris, Hong Kong, Sydney etc are all top 20 global cities and not one of them has an NBA, NFL, NHL or MLB team. So what is your point?

The global city ranking is a factor of economics and population. Vancouver doesn't have close to the same population level to rank with these markets but who really cares? Vancouver is regularly ranked above every single one of the top twenty global cities in terms of quality of life and it has no trouble attracting visitors - ignorant NBA players of course being an exception.

We do not need the NBA and we do need need to worry about what a few people in Connecticut or Toronto or anywhere else think about our city.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
London, Paris, Hong Kong, Sydney etc are all top 20 global cities and not one of them has an NBA, NFL, NHL or MLB team. So what is your point?

The global city ranking is a factor of economics and population. Vancouver doesn't have close to the same population level to rank with these markets but who really cares? Vancouver is regularly ranked above every single one of the top twenty global cities in terms of quality of life and it has no trouble attracting visitors - ignorant NBA players of course being an exception.

We do not need the NBA and we do need need to worry about what a few people in Connecticut or Toronto or anywhere else think about our city.
That post indicates that Vancouver is not a global city period. I said that was another debate - which it is. And none of the cities you named are in north America so your point is null.

And I want proof Vancouver has more quality of life than those cities.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
And I want proof Vancouver has more quality of life than those cities.
http://www.mercer.com/articles/quali...ey-report-2010

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:43 PM
black ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
The MLB came to Vancouver and played a couple exhibition games at BC Place Stadium....the players hated it.
Ask Edger Martinez what he thinks of the turf at BC place. Turned him from a 3rd baseman into a DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Really, $300m is the price of a franchise?

Hard to see how they could make it work with that much up front investment. They'd have to use profits from the Canucks to subsidize the NBA team, which might impact the Canucks' flexibility in other ways. Think of the Ehrhoff trade - they could justify eating $1.7m in the minors because they're rolling in dough. With an NBA team siphoning off that extra dough, maybe that trade doesn't happen.

So a thumbs down from me. Maybe revisit in a few years after the Whitecaps have got things rolling a bit.
Acquilini doesnt have anything to do with the Whitecaps.

The thing that hurt Vancouver the most was not being allowed to have a top pick for 6 years or whatever it was.

If you take the player picked with the spot Vancouver should have had the first 3 years we would have had:

96 draft:Allen Iverson (1st overall)
97 draft:Tim Duncan (1st overall)
98 draft: Vince Carter (5th overall)

I realize they do a lottery but thats a hell of a lot better than what we ended up with.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
The thing that hurt Vancouver the most was not being allowed to have a top pick for 6 years or whatever it was.
I think it was Stu Jackson giving Reeves that monster contract also hurt. I didn't have a problem with him drafting him - let's face it, it wasn't like a large number of the players drafted after him did alot. It's the big contract that hamstrung the Grizzlies payroll - who were *already* operating under a *league imposed* lower cap than the rest of the league (excluding the Raptors of course who had to operate under the same conditions).

That left them with pretty much zero room for margin of error - and we all know the mistakes the management did.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:30 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
Ask Edger Martinez what he thinks of the turf at BC place. Turned him from a 3rd baseman into a DH.

Acquilini doesnt have anything to do with the Whitecaps.

If you take the player picked with the spot Vancouver should have had the first 3 years we would have had:

96 draft:Allen Iverson (1st overall)
97 draft:Tim Duncan (1st overall)
98 draft: Vince Carter (5th overall)

I realize they do a lottery but thats a hell of a lot better than what we ended up with.
You're a year off. the first year of drafting for the Grizzlies was 1995. Might've dodged a bullet there since that #1 pick was Joe Smith. The next 4 picks though were Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, and Kevin Garnett. the Grizzlies then picked 5th and got Reeves. still, the fact that Vancouver and Toronto were forced to 5th and 6th instead of being guaranteed top 3 was BS.

IIRC, Vancouver also won the 1998 lottery but were relegated to pick #2 because of that stupid rule. They probably dodged another bullet there though because #1 was Michael Olowokandi and #2 was Mike Bibby. Toronto won the 96 lottery but were screwed out of Allen Iverson and had to take Marcus Camby instead.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 50 GP, 18-23-9 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
STEVE NASH SUMMER TRADE RUMORS: B-plus

Phoenix's acquisition of Aaron Brooks (for Goran Dragic and a future No. 1 pick) opens the door for Nash's departure this summer to Vancouver Relocated Franchise X. Can't you see Nash crying during the Canadian national anthem at that first home game? He'd either be crying because of the emotion of the moment, or because it just dawned on him that Phoenix came within a botched boxout of Game 7 of the 2010 conference finals and then immediately gutted that team. I'm still waiting for Nash to file a civil suit against Robert Sarver for destroying his chance to win a title. The defense calls ... Marcus Banks.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...1&sportCat=nba

Bill Simmons..

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
RJC

I would definatly goto games if we had a team and steve nash played for it...

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:17 PM
kanuck87

Why would we need Nash when we'd already have Chris Paul?

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
THE FUTURE OF PRO BASKETBALL IN CHARLOTTE: D-minus-minus

In the past six months, the Bobcats gave away three of their best four players (Ray Felton, Gerald Wallace and Tyson Chandler) with two first-round picks to show for it: New Orleans' 2011 first-rounder (in the 20s) and Portland's 2011 first-rounder (ditto). That's a catastrophe. Even worse, you can't totally blame them: Nobody goes to their games, nobody watches them, and if they can't compete for a title, what's the sense of competing at all? Why not bottom out and hope for a miracle? Contract these guys. Move them to Vancouver. Move them to Seattle. Do something. The only way this situation could get worse is if Stephen Jackson decides to run into the stands and start inexplicably punching people.
From the same article

Old
02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Why would we need Nash when we'd already have Chris Paul?
He's a ufa after this season

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
RJC

bring the bobcats to vancouver@!

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

I'd prefer the Hornets because if we can get Nash, we could probably keep Chris Paul.

I hope he'd stay here at least

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
I'd prefer the Hornets because if we can get Nash, we could probably keep Chris Paul.

I hope he'd stay here at least
They are both Point Gaurds though... it would be redundant..

Old
02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
He's a ufa after this season
Paul has a player option next season for 23 million. With looming changes in the next CBA after this season, Paul might be better off taking the 23 million next season, then becoming a UFA the following season.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
They are both Point Gaurds though... it would be redundant..
I'm not too knowledgable on basketball, so nevermind then.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote