Red Sox/MLB 2011 Thread Pt. 1

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

vCash: 500
Red Sox/MLB 2011 Thread Pt. 1

I figured it's time for the annual version of the Sox/MLB thread considering we were still using the 2010 one.

Anyways, the Virtual Waiting Room is the bane of my existence. I got selected in the "random" drawing to purchase Yankees or Cubs tickets for this upcoming season starting today at 12pm. I logged on and got everything ready at 11;45, and right when 12 hit I was on. Yup, still waiting, have 20 windows open, etc. I have to work at 3pm, and I am going to be livid if I don't get tickets before then. VWR is the dumbest thing ever.

Discuss.

Old
02-19-2011, 03:42 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I have a question.

I'm watching Francona's PC and there's a reporter who just asked a question. I don't want to sound like an A hole here, but I'm wondering who this guy is. My best description is that the guy sounds like he's about 120 years old. I've heard him at Sox' press conferences in the past and I've always wondered who he is.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I have a question.

I'm watching Francona's PC and there's a reporter who just asked a question. I don't want to sound like an A hole here, but I'm wondering who this guy is. My best description is that the guy sounds like he's about 120 years old. I've heard him at Sox' press conferences in the past and I've always wondered who he is.
The dude with cerebral palsy? I laugh my ass off every time he asks something.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:50 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Does he actually have that? Who is he? I usually LMAO when he asks a question, but I'm not trying to pick on the guy. Just wanna know who he is.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:55 PM
iRONic™
You know; Merlot.

Quote:
That little gem tells me everything I need to know about you, Eh see are.

Muy bien.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:59 PM
smithformeragent

I just assumed he was some leftover dinosaur who has been covering the team since 1918. Not picking on the guy, just wondering if he writes for one of the papers. Usually I can tell who's who at the PCs based on their voices and he just has me stumped.

Old
02-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Are you talking about the guy who sounds like Barney Frank? @ :20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07uE5KjQp7Q

Old
02-19-2011, 05:12 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post

right

Old
02-19-2011, 05:15 PM
drd73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post

kinda sounds like if you combined barney frank with mayor menino,can you imagine being the 4th person in a conversation with the 3,you'd need a rainslicker to stay dry from the spit coming out of they're mouths when they speak,lol

Old
02-19-2011, 05:18 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONic™ View Post
That little gem tells me everything I need to know about you, Eh see are.

Muy bien.
Ay - i C what you did theRe...

Old
02-19-2011, 05:26 PM
22Brad Park

Redsox are the dead favorites in American league this yr;.Anything other then trip to the World Series is a huge failure.

Old
02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Haters Gonna Hate

Old
02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Sure took you guys a long time.

P.S.
Haters Gonna Hate
Not really.

Old
02-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

delete

Old
02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
smithformeragent

Let's make some MLB predictions!

NL East
Philadelphia Phillies 98 wins

Nl Central
Cincinnati Reds 95 wins
*St. Louis Cardinals 92 wins

NL West
San Fransisco Giants 96 wins

AL East
New York Yankees 95 wins
*Toronto Blue Jays 93 wins

AL Central
Minnesota Twins 95 wins

AL West
Los Angeles Angels 91 wins

*wild card

Old
02-21-2011, 09:42 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Let's make some MLB predictions!

NL East
Philadelphia Phillies 98 wins

Nl Central
Cincinnati Reds 95 wins
*St. Louis Cardinals 92 wins

NL West
San Fransisco Giants 96 wins

AL East
New York Yankees 95 wins
*Toronto Blue Jays 93 wins

AL Central
Minnesota Twins 95 wins

AL West
Los Angeles Angels 91 wins

*wild card
Not sure if serious...

NL East:
Philly - 102 wins
Atlanta - 91 wins

NL Central:
Cincy - 93 wins

NL West
San Fran - 90 wins

AL East:
Boston - 100 wins

AL Central:
Chicago - 93 wins
Minnesota - 89 wins

AL West:
LA - 88 wins

Old
02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Not sure if serious...

NL East:
Philly - 102 wins
Atlanta - 91 wins

NL Central:
Cincy - 93 wins

NL West
San Fran - 90 wins

AL East:
Boston - 100 wins

AL Central:
Chicago - 93 wins
Minnesota - 89 wins

AL West:
LA - 88 wins
part serious/part wishful thinking (wishful thinking on the Jays)

Old
02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
part serious/part wishful thinking (wishful thinking on the Jays)
I was at least as surprised that you thought the Yankees were going to win 95 games. They won 95 last year with Pettitte. Now their rotation is: CC/Hughes/Burnett/Nova/Mitre. Even if Jeter, Texeira, and A-Rod bounce back this year, that pitching staff isn't going to carry them into the playoffs, let alone 95 wins.

The Jays aren't off my radar for the wildcard - it's possible. If Drabek turns the corner this season, they could be right in the middle of the playoff hunt.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
I was at least as surprised that you thought the Yankees were going to win 95 games. They won 95 last year with Pettitte. Now their rotation is: CC/Hughes/Burnett/Nova/Mitre. Even if Jeter, Texeira, and A-Rod bounce back this year, that pitching staff isn't going to carry them into the playoffs, let alone 95 wins.

The Jays aren't off my radar for the wildcard - it's possible. If Drabek turns the corner this season, they could be right in the middle of the playoff hunt.
I think that Red Sox fans are ignoring a couple of things. I heard Francona talking yesterday that they got not just one, but two big pieces in the off season. Yes, but they lost a big piece in Victor Martinez so that washes a bit. Also, Beltre was outstanding offensively last year, so is their line-up really going to be that much better? As for the Red Sox pitching, most are counting on Beckett and Lackey to be better this year and for Lester and Buchholz to be just as good as last year. Last year is indicative of the type of pitcher that Lackey is. Beckett, you never know what you're going to get IMO.

I said 95 wins for the Yankees, just because....I don't really have a good reason. I don't even like the Yankees. I can see this division being really tight this year with an improved Baltimore team and a weaker Tampa Bay team. I think that there is so much hype surrounding this Red Sox team, that they might fail. I'd love to see Toronto win the division though.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
I figured it's time for the annual version of the Sox/MLB thread considering we were still using the 2010 one.

Anyways, the Virtual Waiting Room is the bane of my existence. I got selected in the "random" drawing to purchase Yankees or Cubs tickets for this upcoming season starting today at 12pm. I logged on and got everything ready at 11;45, and right when 12 hit I was on. Yup, still waiting, have 20 windows open, etc. I have to work at 3pm, and I am going to be livid if I don't get tickets before then. VWR is the dumbest thing ever.

Discuss.
I'm generally interested in hearing any suggestions to make the VWR better. It's changed a bunch based on user comments last year. It used to be completely random with no visual cues to curb scalpers who use automated programs. They can have a few hundred windows open at a time.

Now, the waiting room has changed to a first come first serve system with a progress bar and auditory cues to know when you've been selected. It's also a lot more stable.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
I think that Red Sox fans are ignoring a couple of things. I heard Francona talking yesterday that they got not just one, but two big pieces in the off season. Yes, but they lost a big piece in Victor Martinez so that washes a bit. Also, Beltre was outstanding offensively last year, so is their line-up really going to be that much better? As for the Red Sox pitching, most are counting on Beckett and Lackey to be better this year and for Lester and Buchholz to be just as good as last year. Last year is indicative of the type of pitcher that Lackey is. Beckett, you never know what you're going to get IMO.

I said 95 wins for the Yankees, just because....I don't really have a good reason. I don't even like the Yankees. I can see this division being really tight this year with an improved Baltimore team and a weaker Tampa Bay team. I think that there is so much hype surrounding this Red Sox team, that they might fail. I'd love to see Toronto win the division though.
Counter-points:

- Last year was Lackey's worst season since he established himself as an MLB pitcher.

- In addition to Gonzalez and Crawford, add in an extra 50 games of Youkilis, 75 games of Pedroia, an entire season for Ellsbury, and (we hope) an Ortiz who shows up on Opening Night and doesn't slump for over a month to start the year.

- Add Jenks to the bullpen, expect a little bit more out of Bard, and even if Papelbon falters that position is already looking better than it did last year.

- There's no reason to think Buchholz and Lester won't continue to improve.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Counter-points:

- Last year was Lackey's worst season since he established himself as an MLB pitcher.

- In addition to Gonzalez and Crawford, add in an extra 50 games of Youkilis, 75 games of Pedroia, an entire season for Ellsbury, and (we hope) an Ortiz who shows up on Opening Night and doesn't slump for over a month to start the year.

- Add Jenks to the bullpen, expect a little bit more out of Bard, and even if Papelbon falters that position is already looking better than it did last year.

- There's no reason to think Buchholz and Lester won't continue to improve.
I have no counter to this haha. I just don't like the Red Sox, so I root against them. I used to love them, but I fell in love with certain players and I dislike their ownership and management. Having said that, they'll probably win the division.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:

Yankees have best hitting lineup in baseball overall.without a doubt.If that Kid Nova can crank it up this yr for them,(he throws hard) they have a shot.Never ever count them out.But Redsox are still favorites this yr and no trip to World series for them is a choke.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
I'm generally interested in hearing any suggestions to make the VWR better. It's changed a bunch based on user comments last year. It used to be completely random with no visual cues to curb scalpers who use automated programs. They can have a few hundred windows open at a time.

Now, the waiting room has changed to a first come first serve system with a progress bar and auditory cues to know when you've been selected. It's also a lot more stable.
See you'd think it worked like that right? I got selected when my progress bar was still 2 blocks before the ticket window thing, then when I was buying tickets, it kept saying server overloaded and booted me out, so I had to start over again. I missed out on Cubs tickets because of it, and ended up getting some random Tuesday game against the Yankees in August. Not that I'm complaining but I really didn;t want that game.

It's certainly better than it was a few years ago.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Shaun
beauty

Adrian Gonzalez was cleared to swing a bat today

Closed Thread