HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline

Old
02-19-2011, 05:33 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
why? is he really pale?
wow, terrible joke, still made me laugh!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 05:57 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
After thinking about this for a while, why would add Smid exactly? If we're looking for a veteran second pairing guy, how does that fit Smid? It doesn't. If there's a defenseman we may go after that plays for Edmonton I could see it being Gilbert. Then I looked at CapGeek and said, nope, he's not coming here.

So who would we go after if it's not those two. Don't really think there is anyone that Edmonton has that we go after to be perfectly honest. Maybe Hemsky? Maybe Penner? I doubt it after adding Fisher's salary.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
After thinking about this for a while, why would add Smid exactly? If we're looking for a veteran second pairing guy, how does that fit Smid? It doesn't. If there's a defenseman we may go after that plays for Edmonton I could see it being Gilbert. Then I looked at CapGeek and said, nope, he's not coming here.

So who would we go after if it's not those two. Don't really think there is anyone that Edmonton has that we go after to be perfectly honest. Maybe Hemsky? Maybe Penner? I doubt it after adding Fisher's salary.
Is it possible this is a prospect deal? I could see them wanted to re-unite Ellis and Hall from Juniors. Something centered around Paajarvi and Ellis? This doesn't have to include roster players.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:23 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Is it possible this is a prospect deal? I could see them wanted to re-unite Ellis and Hall from Juniors. Something centered around Paajarvi and Ellis? This doesn't have to include roster players.
If were getting rid of Ellis I want to make sure its a great return....I dont think Paarjavi is enough on his own.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:24 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Could be. Are we willing to give up on Ellis at this point is the question. Who knows. This is Poile we're dealing with.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Could be. Are we willing to give up on Ellis at this point is the question. Who knows. This is Poile we're dealing with.
As I said, the reason Edmonton would do this is to re-unite Hall and Ellis. Because of this connection, I think the Oil might overpay for him. Keep in mind Ellis is a huge risk because of his size and (from what I've heard) questionable defense.I wish we could get Hall for him, but that defeats the entire purpose of trading him to EDM. Eberle might be worth a shot, but we might have to add to Ellis.

EDIT: did some research. Paajarvi is appearently very good defensively and works hard away from the puck. He sounds like a Predator to me.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 02-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old
02-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
As I said, the reason Edmonton would do this is to re-unite Hall and Ellis. Because of this connection, I think the Oil might overpay for him. Keep in mind Ellis is a huge risk because of his size and (from what I've heard) questionable defense.I wish we could get Hall for him, but that defeats the entire purpose of trading him to EDM. Eberle might be worth a shot, but we might have to add to Ellis.

EDIT: did some research. Paajarvi is appearently very good defensively and works hard away from the puck. He sounds like a Predator to me.
If not for Hall Paajarvi would be our 1st line LW of the future, he can play both wings, has a big frame, and is VERY fast. I wouldn't trade him for Ellis because of what you've stated above, Ellis has the offensive tools but defensively and physically he might not be able to handle the bigger NHL players very well (or he could be the next Rafalski). Much too risky of a trade, we drafted Paajarvi ahead of Ellis and IMO Paajarvi hasn't done anything to warrant a change in our preference. IMO Hemsky and Penner are on the block while Eberle and Paajarvi would only be on the block as a key part of a Weber trade. That is how much this organization values these two kids or at least SHOULD value these two kids

Would Franson and Ellis for Hemsky/Penner and Smid work?

Also Hall will have a fine career with/without Ellis, it would be nice to add his long time teammate and friend but that's nothing more than a luxury. The Oilers lack a top d-man and Ellis could end up being a 3rd pairing guy that is great on the PP, again a nice luxury to have but not in return for Eberle or Paajarvi.

02-19-2011, 07:47 PM
dulzhok

I'm not much of Hemsky fan. He's also UFA after next year.

Ellis and Pääjärvi were drafted right next to each other. Both have been fairly impressive since being drafted.

I'd do the trade, mainly because we need forwards more than defense, and EDM needs defenseman more than forwards. The classic trading from an area of strength to address a weakness.

Personally, I'd rather offer Blum+

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:06 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

We just need scoring help. We have soooooo many potential great defenders in the minors that we could easily trade. Just dooo it....

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Smid is much better... he'd look sick paired with Suter, Weber or Franson.
Klein is no slouch, so Smid isn't much better, but what I was saying is he wouldn't look good paired with Klein. Klein isn't a good puck mover. What we really need right now is a puck handler to put on a pairing with him. I don't think Franson is ready to go into the play offs taking second pairing minutes even if Smid is his partner, and I don't think we trade to get Smid just to put him on the third pairing.

Now that I've said all of this I'll be wrong.

Last edited by TMI: 02-19-2011 at 08:49 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If not for Hall Paajarvi would be our 1st line LW of the future, he can play both wings, has a big frame, and is VERY fast. I wouldn't trade him for Ellis because of what you've stated above, Ellis has the offensive tools but defensively and physically he might not be able to handle the bigger NHL players very well (or he could be the next Rafalski). Much too risky of a trade, we drafted Paajarvi ahead of Ellis and IMO Paajarvi hasn't done anything to warrant a change in our preference. IMO Hemsky and Penner are on the block while Eberle and Paajarvi would only be on the block as a key part of a Weber trade. That is how much this organization values these two kids or at least SHOULD value these two kids

Would Franson and Ellis for Hemsky/Penner and Smid work?

Also Hall will have a fine career with/without Ellis, it would be nice to add his long time teammate and friend but that's nothing more than a luxury. The Oilers lack a top d-man and Ellis could end up being a 3rd pairing guy that is great on the PP, again a nice luxury to have but not in return for Eberle or Paajarvi.
If Smid isn't really much of a puck moving defenseman (haven't watched him very closely) then we'd have to find two puck movers after trading Franson. Smid would upgrade in the defensive zone, but we'd only have one pairing with the ability to move the puck out of the zone effectively

Would love to add Penner or Hemsky, though. That would probably make up for having a defense that can't pass. I don't know that I'd be ok with trading Ellis for a rental. I doubt we'd be able to re-sign either

Last edited by TMI: 02-19-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old
02-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If Smid isn't really much of a puck moving defenseman (haven't watched him very closely) then we'd have to find two puck movers after trading Franson. Smid would upgrade in the defensive zone, but we'd only have one pairing with the ability to move the puck out of the zone effectively

Would love to add Penner or Hemsky, though. That would probably make up for having a defense that can't pass. I don't know that I'd be ok with trading Ellis for a rental. I doubt we'd be able to re-sign either
Smid likes to rush the puck up ice and he can move the puck a bit but he's not your prototypical PMD. Gilbert and Chorney are PMD on the Oilers.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I'm not much of Hemsky fan. He's also UFA after next year.

Ellis and Pääjärvi were drafted right next to each other. Both have been fairly impressive since being drafted.

I'd do the trade, mainly because we need forwards more than defense, and EDM needs defenseman more than forwards. The classic trading from an area of strength to address a weakness.

Personally, I'd rather offer Blum+
This is true however one is 6'3" and 200lbs. while the other is considered small by NHL standards and has yet to play an NHL game (not all on him to be fair). Despite our need for a d-man, IMO Ellis is the wrong type of d-man unless he has top pairing potential, I could be wrong but I don't see that in Ellis. I'm not saying that we couldn't use Ellis' skill set, just that we'd need a Bogosian type d prospect if we were trading Paajarvi and even then since we are rebuilding I'd sooner draft a D and a C in the top 10 of the draft this year and next than trading away Paajarvi.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:27 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This is true however one is 6'3" and 200lbs. while the other is considered small by NHL standards and has yet to play an NHL game (not all on him to be fair). Despite our need for a d-man, IMO Ellis is the wrong type of d-man unless he has top pairing potential, I could be wrong but I don't see that in Ellis. I'm not saying that we couldn't use Ellis' skill set, just that we'd need a Bogosian type d prospect if we were trading Paajarvi and even then since we are rebuilding I'd sooner draft a D and a C in the top 10 of the draft this year and next than trading away Paajarvi.
Because we have the same type of depth on defense, this comparison is fair.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i'd like to see it. sk work ethic was pretty crappy too
SK was broken by the fishbowl in Montreal. Zherdev's been tried in both fishbowl markets and small markets, and he's just disinterested.

Seriously, Hitchcock couldn't make a consistent player out of him. If Trotz managed to do it, he'd deserve more than the Jack Adams; he'd deserve a Nobel Prize.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:41 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
I don't think you have seen enough of Ellis to make this statement. Granted, it has been maybe 8 games the last 2 preseasons, but he handles nhl weight well. the kid is smart and doesn't trap himself like a lumbering dman, so I guess you can't tell if he can take a bone crushing hit. Suter went down last night from a hit from doan. Can he not handle the NHL?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If Suter is out for any length of time, this isn't even a question anymore. We need at least one defenseman, hopefully an OFD.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
WartracePred

IF Suter is out with a concussion (can't imagine what else could have resulted from the hit that would keep him out of the game last night), then we need another puck moving defenseman. If our offense looked weak with Suter, it's going look dead without him. Trotz says Suter is key to our offense because of his transition game.

From what I've read so far about Smid, he is not a PMD. He's a shutdown D-man who could replace Cube, but not Suter.

Right now Cube isn't ready to return. So one way or another, if Suter can't play Tuesday, we either make a trade or someone gets the call from Milwaukee.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:23 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

if Suter is out for any length of time I think it basically throws out any option of picking up offense. Of course, if Suter is out for more than a couple of weeks we probably won't make the play offs anyway, so there really isn't any sense in buying anything else. We absolutely, without a doubt suck without Suter. See also: beginning of the season

Old
02-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Jarnberg

If Suter is out for an extended time I think we'll see Poile pick up a defensemen.

Suter being out does affect our offense, but it was still struggling with him there, even after the Fisher trade. Hopefully Poile still has the assets to improve our offense.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:48 AM
jlsg

Picking up a puck moving defensemen now would be expensive. They don't grow on trees. We have a couple in Milwaukee and my guess is we'll be giving them a shot. Unless it's thought that Suter is done for the year I just don't see losing assets for a short term rental.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:39 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think you're right and I think Blum is ready.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think you're right and I think Blum is ready.
I hope you are right. Guess we will find out if poile agrees

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

We almost have to see a call up by the afternoon don't we?

I guess they'll get the news from the doctors (which they probably have already received), and make a move after. No news is good news at this point, but after watching hit (specifically Suter's head) a couple of more times it's likely he misses at least a couple of games. If he isn't concussed then his neck is probably stiff and sore at very least.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Poiles protege is making the moves I want Poile himself to make...

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote