HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need a hero - Islanders beat Kings 3-0 Postgame Thoughts

Old
02-19-2011, 10:47 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
One of these three is not like the others...
yea, one was never a king!

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
True.

But they all could still be playing here right now had the Kings made the commitment to the player.

Add any one of them to the roster and the Kings problems from lack of scoring on the wing is greatly diminished.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:52 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Can't wait for the likes of Handzus and Ponikarovsky to be done with this team. This roster is full of slugs, the Isles speed exposed the Kings. An outright disgraceful performance by all players on the ice, not a single King stood out for having a good game. It's as if they were waiting to get back to the hotel as soon as the puck dropped. Not a bit of fight shown from a team that should be playing with desperation.
If ever there was a poster game for speed kills this was it. The dump in was exposed as stupid tonight, we lost all the little battles and I think all our long in the tooth veterans, as well as ourt short in the tooth ones too were not just sluggish but downright SLOW, like cold molasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
It's still a great trip, no doubt about it. Just frustrating to see MM produce against us, two goals + a goal post.

Moulson, Gaborik and Cammy all scored against us this season, just a reminder that the Kings lack of talent is no ones to blame but our managements.
(in best foreign accent)
Who are these Moulson and Cammy guys you speak of? I am not familiar with them.
Can they score? Maybe we should try to acquire them? I will instead defer to the hockey gurus.

Quote:
Wassa, wassa and shoulda!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:54 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Anze Kopitar: 1 goal in past 15 games
Dustin Brown: 3 goals in past 15 games
Justin Williams: 4 goals in past 15 games
Ryan Smyth: 4 goals in past 15 games. (0 goals in the last 7 games)
Jarret Stoll: 3 goals in past 15 games.
Michal Handzus: 1 goal in past 15 games.

That isn't a lot of offense and there is a lot of inconsistency from the six highest paid forwards on the Kings.
FTFY.

Add those numbers up and they TOTAL 16 goals in 15 games. Embarrassing.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
FTFY
Even when minimized to the past 15 games, they are still poor numbers from players who are expected to carry the offensive load for this team. And before anyone jumps in to say that they are an inexperienced group, none of those six players listed are inexperienced, and that includes Kopitar and Brown.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:58 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Even when minimized to the past 15 games, they are still poor numbers from players who are expected to carry the offensive load for this team. And before anyone jumps in to say that they are an inexperienced group, none of those six players listed are inexperienced, and that includes Kopitar and Brown.
I agree with you. I just thought it was hard to read your list when they were all listed as playing a different # of games. So I tried to simplify it to just the past 15.

The top 6 is pathetic.

Old
02-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

No goals.

Few scoring chances.

Even less passes that connected.

Too little, both early and late.

I sure am glad Terry Murray benched Andrei Loktionov and shuffled the lines again. I am certain Lokti’s passing ability, penchant for getting open and skill set wouldn’t have come in handy. Maybe Murray expected a “heavier” perimeter game, one with a lot of checking, fighting, and good old-fashioned 70′s hockey. Who knows. Who the hell cares. While our coach didn’t do our offense any favors, our boys didn’t show up tonight and Drew Doughty all but had an abortion on the ice. Anze Kopitar did his best impression of a third line center for most of the night. If I took a shot for every open shot he didn’t take...

These games happen. You learn from it. You move on. You hope the old man behind the bench doesn’t find new old ways to screw with the team’s chemistry…actually, you probably assume he does and work hard to overcome it.

Don’t let this loss get you down. The Anaheim Ducks are next. Let’s focus our rage where it matters – through their hearts.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:07 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I can stop posting before games.

We looked awful and lost a game. We don't need to make a trade any more today then we did yesterday.

What I hope that TM DL and the rest of us can take away from this game is how desperately we need to have a high speed skill sniper on the team which I am certain that DL already knew.

Off season we need to address a few holes and in my opinion get an actual coach and we will be back on track.

Other than that.

I give us a shot

Go Kings Go!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
The Anaheim Ducks are next. Let’s focus our rage where it matters – through their hearts.
The _ucks have given up 21 goals in their last 3 games. And in come the L_s Angeles Kings

L_s Angeles Kings vs. Anaheim _ucks

It's like the opposite of the "Irresistible Force Paradox"

Old
02-19-2011, 11:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The ucks have given up 21 goals in their last 3 games. And in come the L_s Angeles Kings

L_s Angeles Kings vs. Anaheim _ucks

It's like the opposite of the "Irresistible Force Paradox"
0-0 Tie.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I can stop posting before games.

We looked awful and lost a game. We don't need to make a trade any more today then we did yesterday.

What I hope that TM DL and the rest of us can take away from this game is how desperately we need to have a high speed skill sniper on the team which I am certain that DL already knew.

Off season we need to address a few holes and in my opinion get an actual coach and we will be back on track.

Other than that.

I give us a shot

Go Kings Go!
We would have to miss the playoffs for Murray to go and I don't want to miss the playoffs. Too important to the team's psyche. Forward motion.

Dean's track record with picking good coaches sucks from today back to the San Jose. He replaced Crawford with Murray for goodness sake.

At the end of the day, the need for two top 6 forwards (a pro typical second line center and 1st line left wing) is our biggest need and absent something dramatic in giving up Schenn or a group of our top prospects, I don't think it happens until the off season...and even then...

Old
02-19-2011, 11:21 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Who really didn't see this coming though?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:21 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Who really didn't see this coming though?
This.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:35 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

TM:

“It was a great road trip. It could have been a great road trip, with a win tonight. It was a very good road trip.............."

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
This loss doesn't bother me that much, it was expected from a Murray coached team. He doesn't motivate anyone to play hard and he makes horrible roster moves.

Posted before the game:

Quote:
Classic trap game for a Murray coached team. Go conservative and lose.

No reason to reduce the skill level of your team. NY doesn't have a problem with LA, it will not be a repeat of the Pittsburgh team.

NY 3-1
Time to move on. Kings have 5 wins and 4 losses on the trip. They were just able to get some loser points finally.

Murray was exposed tonight, can he watch from the press box?

Last edited by Sydor25: 02-19-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:38 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
0-0 Tie.
That would be giving too much credit to the _ucks.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Martyros

Not to sound like a Lombardi-hater but Moulson would have been the best shooting option on Kopitar's wing.......

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Not to sound like a Lombardi-hater but Moulson would have been the best shooting option on Kopitar's wing.......
Dean ****ed that one up. Fortunately, he has done enough good things

Old
02-20-2011, 02:05 AM
yankeeking

I know alot here love richie but he has NO business on the first two lines and doesn't have enough hutzpah for a third line winger so what does that leave, constant puck touches all game and couldn't be a danger out there if he had a pistol on him, never does two things in a row well and totally crippled the first line all night, not his fault we lost but he was no help and it is really a shame that our 6.8 million allstar plays on a line with a 3rd line grinder and a 4th/ahl speedster.The entire team sucked tonite including whomever overcoached us to these line combo's and dressing westgarth over anyone and that includes tikkanen and diehard, its crazy how loki dressed against the flyers,caps, and pens but not against the last place team of kids his own age,freaking frak

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings have the slowest set of top six, nay, top nine, forwards in the NHL. And for those who say Brown should be a 3rd liner, well, watching him play with Handzus and Clifford, we are witnessing just how out of place Brown is in a checking role. He's a top six forward, ideally on the 2nd line.

The way this organization treats some of it's skilled young talent like Loktionov or Moller is baffling. Are they expecting every forward to be molded into a friggin' grinder?

Old
02-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
The Kings have the slowest set of top six, nay, top nine, forwards in the NHL. And for those who say Brown should be a 3rd liner, well, watching him play with Handzus and Clifford, we are witnessing just how out of place Brown is in a checking role. He's a top six forward, ideally on the 2nd line.

The way this organization treats some of it's skilled young talent like Loktionov or Moller is baffling. Are they expecting every forward to be molded into a friggin' grinder?
Yes. Unfortunately, history answers your question. Look at our coach. I don't want to believe Lombardi wants a team of Mike Ricci but I keep looking at his moves and lack of moves and I wonder...does he?

Old
02-20-2011, 02:22 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

I actually believe they do, and the sad thing is, I'm not kidding. IMO the Kings are awful at harnessing and developing young talent, and it's only gotten worse under Murray..

The decision to dress Westgarth over Lokti is just dumb. Finishing off a east coast road trip, you need those young fast legs to help you to be able to roll four lines that might have a chance of scoring a goal. Instead, Westgarth gets 6 minutes of worthless icetime

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Look, eventually, Murray is going to get fired. This is not the coach that will lead this team to the Cup. The odds of him being gone in the next two seasons is quite high. I am not concerned with Murray. His fate is inevitable.

I am concerned with what Dean is doing to build this team into a contender. As many bad moves Dean has made, he has made more good ones. But, we still lack a first line LW and a second line center. We are literally two pieces away from having, on paper, a contending team. Dean makes that happen and we are on our way. It is my belief by then that we should (and better) have a coach at the helm who isn't a one trick and two dimensional pony.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Yes. Unfortunately, history answers your question. Look at our coach. I don't want to believe Lombardi wants a team of Mike Ricci but I keep looking at his moves and lack of moves and I wonder...does he?
I think he does. Him and his coaching staff are still stuck on that mid-90s era clutch and grab hockey, as evidenced by the talent that has been acquired and the players and lineups that Terry Murray ices. They have established a set system that even highly talented players must conform to. Otherwise they're going to be watching from the press box.

Notice how the Kings have no creativity whatsoever whenever any player handles the puck. It's always stop and go, dump and chase, grind it out and score ugly goals. This team cannot setup an offensive rush that generates a scoring chance. They also lack the talent and ability to score off of rushes and don't have a player with the ability to place a deadly shot coming down the wings.

Additionally, they are also missing a player with the ability to get the puck to the slot. The lack of puck movement and creativity can be attributed to that. Their puck movement is always along the outside boards, never do they try to penetrate through the middle where most goals are generated.

Not only has Lombardi openly stated that if he could have a team full of Mike Ricci's, he would, but he also said that his favorite line when he managed the Sharks was when he had Mike Ricci centering Scott Thornton and Niklas Sundstrom.

I have yet to witness this team find the right balance of talent, grit and speed. Looking at their latest string of success, their wins predicated on team defense, tight games, low scoring contests or wins via shootout.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Yes he would have, and this is cause for concern. This team and system has simply had trouble developing skilled forwards.

All some people want to say about guys like Moulson are "He wouldn't do it here" , "Not a DL type player" , "Doing it on a bad team", "One year wonder", "product of Tavares" blah blah blah.

Moulson, Purcell and Boyle all made their NHL debuts in the 07-08 season, all are now gone and enjoying success with their new teams while the Kings struggle to score goals.

None of these guys could ever get it going here, do they shoulder some blame? Absolutely, but it's a bit alarming when three guys who were struggling here go elsewhere and suddenly develop into players. The jury may still be out on Purcell and Boyle but there is no questioning that Moulson is a legit 25-30 goal guy with an elite NHL shot.

What concerns me is the next group, we are already starting to see it with guys like Moller and Loktionov being jerked around. Loktionov being scratched tonight was one of the most pathetic roster moves you will ever see, but sadly we saw the same with the names above as well. Being scratched for guys like Ivanans and Segal. Skating on 4th lines with guys like Zeiler, Ivanans etc.

The Kings are good at developing gritty forwards like Clifford, Simmonds and Lewis, but how many skilled forwards have been developed here in the past five years?

What is going to make Loktionov, Toffoli, Weal, Kitsyn different from these guys?

And just remember, if nothing is done at the deadline because the cost is to high (and I don't want him to overpay). Just remember when this rebuild started we had all these guys, plus Cammalleri on the roster. And the total return for all the assets was Colten Teubert, Jordan Weal and Jeff Halpern.