HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Elite Players in the System

Old
02-19-2011, 07:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Maybe its Brad maybe not..... but I really think Sather has a tough choice because it's not going to be completely popular. Look at the Knicks.... you build up assets so you can trade them for a tremendous upgrade.

Sathers done well holding onto the youth but at some point those guys are worth enough that they can be moved for an upgrade.

Those of us who were around back in 92-94 remember some bittersweet trades that really stung, but did build the right team to compete for the cup.
Except this time we need to be the ones acquiring a Weight, not trading one.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 07:21 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I'd have to say Kreider. He has something you can't teach, speed (Sorry Barbera Underhill, you didn't give Brian Boyle his wheels) and combining that with an already NHL caliber shot, he has the best possibility to be elite.

Staal could also become a shutdown defender and someone who will pot 40 points from the blueline, that would be elite in my book too.

I can see Stepan becoming someone who is elite too. He has 33 points in 60 games as a 20 year old rookie, although like most rookies he has been streaky. Anisimov too, setting higher numbers in goals and assists in his second year, in 20 less games. I don't think he will become better then Derek, but time will tell that.

I think what we all need to realize is that our talented players are still very young and have under 200 NHL games.

Anisimov
Stepan
Zuccarello
McDonagh
Del Zotto
Sauer

And even players who have more then 200 games are still young

Staal - 24
Dubinsky - 24 (turning 25)
Callahan - 25 (turning 26)
Wolski - 24 (turning 25 next week)

We just need to see where we are in 2 years, maybe sign someone NEXT offseason with "elite" talent and go from there

Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 02-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.
mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:09 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I'd have to say Kreider. He has something you can't teach, speed (Sorry Barbera Underhill, you didn't give Brian Boyle his wheels) and combining that with an already NHL caliber shot, he has the best possibility to be elite.

Staal could also become a shutdown defender and someone who will pot 40 points from the blueline, that would be elite in my book too.

I can see Stepan becoming someone who is elite too. He has 33 points in 60 games as a 20 year old rookie, although like most rookies he has been streaky. Anisimov too, setting higher numbers in goals and assists in his second year, in 20 less games. I don't think he will become better then Derek, but time will tell that.

I think what we all need to realize is that our talented players are still very young and have under 200 NHL games.

Anisimov
Stepan
Zuccarello
McDonagh
Del Zotto
Sauer

And even players who have more then 200 games are still young

Staal - 24
Dubinsky - 24 (turning 25)
Callahan - 25 (turning 26)
Wolski - 24 (turning 25 next week)

We just need to see where we are in 2 years, maybe sign someone NEXT offseason with "elite" talent and go from there
Mostly agree with this^.

As I have said, barring injury, Kreider will be the next Dave Keon.
I was a little concerned when he started added weight, but so far he has done so without this slowing his fabulous speed. If that continues, he should be "elite".

Yeah, speed isn't everything, and it's too early to say how good he'll be, but it appears he won't be another Gene Carr.

That's got to be it for "elite".
I would consider Marc Staal already elite as a shut down D, and that's good enough for me, although I understand those purists who might argue elite should mean not just exceptional in a given area, but across the board.

What to do:
We keep our best guys (Anisimov, Callahan unless massively overwhelmed)
Trade up on those very good for even better (Girardi, maybe Boyle)
Make better cap decisions
Good signings

I would roll the dice on Malkin as is if the price is deeply discounted. It would depend on what can be given that we should agree to without giving up certain assets.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

I would consider Marc Staal already elite as a shut down D, and that's good enough for me, although I understand those purists who might argue elite should mean not just exceptional in a given area, but across the board.
I do think Staal can become truly Elite. But I also think you need a 2nd forward with that kind of dominant skill to compete vs these stacked teams.