HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Do the other GM's just hate dealing with Lombardi?

Old
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
SLang

vCash: 500
Do the other GM's just hate dealing with Lombardi?

I mean, come on. Stewart gets moved to the Blues and pots two in his debut, and they smoke Anaheim last night?

Tons of teams making moves. Some big, some small, but at least even the GM's making small moves are doing something to improve their squads. Meanwhile, DL appears, at least to this outsider, to be doing nothing.

Not even a "change of scenery" move for someone?

I know we all want the gaping LW hole filled, but there have to be other upgrades out there. Does he really feel he's got such a perfect team otherwise that the right thing to do is to leave all those assets, especially when it comes to defensemen, just sitting on the table?

All we need is a resurgent Blues team getting back into the playoff mix.....as if the hill the Kings are climbing to get back to the playoffs isn't steep enough (and self-made, BTW).

I believe he is trying to get things done, it's just that a whole lot of nothing seems to be getting done.

OK, rant over.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Deadline is still a week away.

I think DL is not dealing from a position of strength. The assets we have to move are prospect defenseman, our pick, and maybe Simmonds.

I wouldn't mind trading Poni for anything because I doubt he gets resigned.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:54 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I don't understand the idea that DL is doing nothing.

He has been on the road with his scouting staff and is rumored to have been involved at the negotiating table with at least 3 teams so far, the guy is working his tail off.

The results are open to opinion but DL was on the plane with the team last night and that doesn't sound like a GM who's doing nothing to me.

I hope that we don't make a panic deal for a player who is signed for one more season and end up losing a player or two who will be more than capable of filling the production that any one player would bring in return.

We have the ability to deal from a very high caliber position of strength, if it doesn't work it doesn't work but the reason that we have the position of strength to deal from is because DL hasn't gone into panic mode like so many other GM's around the league have done.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:57 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Meanwhile, DL appears, at least to this outsider, to be doing nothing.
Quote:
I believe he is trying to get things done, it's just that a whole lot of nothing seems to be getting done.
You're going to have to pick one or the other.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Quattro

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Tonellisghost,

I'm just curious to your thoughts on DLs Position of strenght. I tend to think he is limited and that teams know what he is trying to accomplish. Do you feel his strenght is in the fact that he doesn't really have to make a move?

Old
02-20-2011, 11:10 AM
SFKingshomer

I hope Lombardi stands pat. Too many avg. players going for a premium price. Stewart would have been nice but I'm sure they wanted JJ+ Stoll+

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:13 AM
tomd

too many buyers; too few sellers.

Economics 101. DL has almost no leverage in this market if he wants a top 6 player.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
I tend to think he is limited and that teams know what he is trying to accomplish.
Is there a GM that is able to hide what they're trying to accomplish?

Old
02-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I wouldn't say that Lombardi doesn't do anything, he certainly works pretty hard comparably around the league, but I would admit that he must not be very popular at the trade table. He is that guy at the poker table that is folding, not playing a single hand, for half the game only to raise it up like 5 times the pot, and everyone else looks at him puzzled and simply folds because we all know that he is only playing AA or AK, and then he proceeds to fold for another hour...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:37 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Top 6 forwards are hard to come by.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Is there a GM that is able to hide what they're trying to accomplish?
To a larger extent yes, DL hasn't tried to hide the fact that he is searching for a legit top 6 so he must not be that concerned but with there being such a small market for top 6's teams can ask for more no?

Old
02-20-2011, 11:44 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Tonellisghost,

I'm just curious to your thoughts on DLs Position of strenght. I tend to think he is limited and that teams know what he is trying to accomplish. Do you feel his strenght is in the fact that he doesn't really have to make a move?
No, I don't think it is that he doesn't have to make a move because that could be said for most situations when talking about deadline time. His strength is that he has one or two moveable developed NHL assets and one of the most coveted D pools in the game. Most teams would give up an awful lot to nab even one or two of our kid D. We are also dealing from a position of strength in regards to several other prospects but our D is overloaded.

The problem is that we are after what most teams covet as well, a skilled proven top 3 forward. They are simply hard to come by and typically hung onto above most everything else.

Before you give up the farm to bring back a player you just have to make certain that you are getting exactly what you need in return and that you aren't dealing away a player or players that could in a season be giving you the same amount of production or more than what you acquired.

DL can pull the trigger and get us the player that we need, we have the assets to get almost anyone in the game but trying to do it now when players like Parise and Malkin are out injured and Nash has his team in playoff contention (driving his price through the roof) just doesn't make sense.

There are other options out there but I would rather we go target exactlu what we need rather than scramble and settle just to try and make a single run, we are too close to being able to do it on our own.

Next season we add Schenn, Toffoli (potentially) Moller Vey and Kozun into the mix up front along with a few others and I see at two of them making the team. Schenn could easily have a 40 point rookie season and Moller could come close to the same. Who knows what Parse will bring but he certainly has proven that he can provide scoring and we all know that Loktionov is ready to come in and has proven that he can contribute.

We are too close on our own to make a deal for yet another close player, we need to get exactly what we are missing or wait until the offseason when the market opens back up and we have several better options.

Old
02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
dre2112

Stewart scored 2 goals on the absolute worst goalie in the league. Relax.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I mean, come on. Stewart gets moved to the Blues and pots two in his debut, and they smoke Anaheim last night?

Tons of teams making moves. Some big, some small, but at least even the GM's making small moves are doing something to improve their squads. Meanwhile, DL appears, at least to this outsider, to be doing nothing.

Not even a "change of scenery" move for someone?

I know we all want the gaping LW hole filled, but there have to be other upgrades out there. Does he really feel he's got such a perfect team otherwise that the right thing to do is to leave all those assets, especially when it comes to defensemen, just sitting on the table?

All we need is a resurgent Blues team getting back into the playoff mix.....as if the hill the Kings are climbing to get back to the playoffs isn't steep enough (and self-made, BTW).

OK, rant over.
The Ducks made some moves. They must be moving up in the standings and kicking some serious ass, right? In fact, the Ducks have made more trades by far than any team in the NHL since the lockout, so they must be getting ready to win their first President's Trophy.

Are we seriously worried about a trade the Avs and Blues made? The Blues were obviously not happy about Eric Johnson's development, or attitude, or something. Just be glad that our Johnson is better than that Johnson. (ha, ha)

TG is right. Lombardi is out there looking at deals. If the right one isn't there, he won't make a deal and will re-assess the situation come draft day. This team has a lot more to worry about than just this season. They are being built for the long haul.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:01 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
To a larger extent yes, DL hasn't tried to hide the fact that he is searching for a legit top 6 so he must not be that concerned but with there being such a small market for top 6's teams can ask for more no?
Even if Lombardi said nothing, wouldn't it be obvious, especially to people who's job it is to notice, that the Kings need some more offense? Once Lombardi and some other GM even begin talking trade, then isn't the secret out?

As for teams asking for more, isn't that more about what player and which team are being talked about? If Hemsky was a free agent this summer, it wouldn't take as much to get him. But the Oilers don't have to trade him, so that alone will make the price higher. Stewart went to St.Louis for a top young defenseman with NHL experience. Unless the Kings were willing to give Doughty or Johnson, or some package equivalent to that, then there wasn't a discussion to be had.

Old
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

It's a sellers market, let's just say that hypothetically Tambellini tells him that it's Schenn or nothing for Hemsky and Lombardi doesn't want to move Schenn? Or that Kovalev commands a 1st + Forbort? etc. IMO he should get something done but this is a sellers market big time that being said it is also a bit frustrating as an Oilers fan because the market seems to be great for selling yet we haven't made a single move. Of course Tambellini can gamble since both Hemsky and Penner have another year on their deals, but I'd also like to see something done and Tambellini could be taking the best approach and waiting for desperation to set in forcing a GM to overpay by normal standards.

02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Even if Lombardi said nothing, wouldn't it be obvious, especially to people who's job it is to notice, that the Kings need some more offense? Once Lombardi and some other GM even begin talking trade, then isn't the secret out?

As for teams asking for more, isn't that more about what player and which team are being talked about? If Hemsky was a free agent this summer, it wouldn't take as much to get him. But the Oilers don't have to trade him, so that alone will make the price higher. Stewart went to St.Louis for a top young defenseman with NHL experience. Unless the Kings were willing to give Doughty or Johnson, or some package equivalent to that, then there wasn't a discussion to be had.
Good post, the league's GM's know the Kings weaknesses and organizational depth charts, it's their jobs. It's no more of a secret that you guys need a top line winger while we need a #1 d-man and a #1 center.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Kingurentai

[QUOTE=Bryanbryoil;31084749]It's a sellers market...QUOTE]

True, but until Schenn/prospects come up AND produce results, it will always be a seller's market for the Kings.

Because as you pointed out, a top 6 (more like top 3) forward is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
kinghock

Great LA Lakers former GM J.West once explained that worth thing team trying to become contender could do is keep yourself in trap of mediocrity.
In the order to avoid this trap Kings needs to upgrade their front line via developing their own prospects, continue smart drafting and only trading for players with great creativity and skills.
Kings already have great goaltending and defense; after building great offence we are going to have great team.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:56 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It's a sellers market, let's just say that hypothetically Tambellini tells him that it's Schenn or nothing for Hemsky and Lombardi doesn't want to move Schenn? Or that Kovalev commands a 1st + Forbort? etc. IMO he should get something done but this is a sellers market big time that being said it is also a bit frustrating as an Oilers fan because the market seems to be great for selling yet we haven't made a single move. Of course Tambellini can gamble since both Hemsky and Penner have another year on their deals, but I'd also like to see something done and Tambellini could be taking the best approach and waiting for desperation to set in forcing a GM to overpay by normal standards.
Sure but you know after some serious thinking (imagine that) knight of the realm has an excellent point in that one of DL's current strength's is that he simply doesn't have to make a deal. We have waited our entire history including the 99 years to win the cup. We have had promises and have been so close that we made the finals but didn't win the cup. We had our one and done and didn't win the cup. We had Steve Dueschene Luc Jimmy Carson Bernie Nichols MR Dionne Dave Taylor Jay Wells etc and didn't win the cup. We have dealt away so many young promising stars for "proven NHL studs" and didn't win the cup but watched the teams that we dealt our young budding players with potential go on to win the cup (Your welcome Isles fans, Mr Goring says hi and thank to Mike Bossy for saying that without him the Isles wouldn't have won their first cup) for other teams.

We don't have to make a deadline deal this year because maybe we need to realize that we simply aren't ready just quite yet. But I think that between now and this offseason that we might become ready. It can happen that quickly. Adding a young budding star like Schenn and the proven (imo) Moller and Loktionov will not only fill holes but it will fill them with fast fresh legs and we have other potential stars on the farm.

We will see the market also add a healthy Parise and Malkin to name two players who might be able to be pried away from their respective teams while hanging onto the majority of our young stars/studs.

I just don't think that we need to add anyone at this point due to the fact that we simply aren't ready to make a legitimate cup run just yet. Close but not yet.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:04 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

To quote one of the greatest GM's ever, sometimes the best trades you make are the ones you don't make.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:05 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I think Lombardi might have a more narrow list of what he's looking for in a player and what pieces he might offer for that than most GMs. Like he says all the time, he's looking for the right fit. Not just in terms of skill but in character, age and salary as well. He isn't willing to part with top prospects for rentals at this stage of the "process" or whatever you want to call it so that makes him hard to make deals with. Other GM's are playing the waiting game, maybe they expect DL to get desperate and finally offer Brayden Schenn or include Jack Johnson in a deal.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Sure but you know after some serious thinking (imagine that) knight of the realm has an excellent point in that one of DL's current strength's is that he simply doesn't have to make a deal. We have waited our entire history including the 99 years to win the cup. We have had promises and have been so close that we made the finals but didn't win the cup. We had our one and done and didn't win the cup. We had Steve Dueschene Luc Jimmy Carson Bernie Nichols MR Dionne Dave Taylor Jay Wells etc and didn't win the cup. We have dealt away so many young promising stars for "proven NHL studs" and didn't win the cup but watched the teams that we dealt our young budding players with potential go on to win the cup (Your welcome Isles fans, Mr Goring says hi and thank to Mike Bossy for saying that without him the Isles wouldn't have won their first cup) for other teams.

We don't have to make a deadline deal this year because maybe we need to realize that we simply aren't ready just quite yet. But I think that between now and this offseason that we might become ready. It can happen that quickly. Adding a young budding star like Schenn and the proven (imo) Moller and Loktionov will not only fill holes but it will fill them with fast fresh legs and we have other potential stars on the farm.

We will see the market also add a healthy Parise and Malkin to name two players who might be able to be pried away from their respective teams while hanging onto the majority of our young stars/studs.

I just don't think that we need to add anyone at this point due to the fact that we simply aren't ready to make a legitimate cup run just yet. Close but not yet.

I am 100% agree. It's a sellers market, but Kings does not need to be buyers at this deadline.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
LOL, same **** every year, people get mad that he isn't doing anything and when he does something, it's "OMG, why did he do that trade . ." "Why did he trade Purcell" . . .

Same **** every year

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote