HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Zach Boychuk

Old
01-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Bills09

vCash: 500
Zach Boychuk

What you think his role is for the rest of the season and his value to the hurricanes moving forward.

predictions or player comparisons?

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:57 AM
TheBigKahuna

His role for the rest of the season is to help Charlotte win a championship. That will only change if someone on the Canes gets injured.

As for a player comparison....that's a tough one. His game has changed a lot in the last year. He used to stay out of the "dangerous" areas and shy away from contact....more of a Ray Whitney type. But this year he's playing a very different game. He's in high traffic areas, can hit people and isn't afraid to go into the "bad neighborhoods" on the ice. He's an entirely different player. He changed my opinion. I did not like his game. Before this season started, I was down on the kid, and really doubted he would ever become a regular on the Canes. But after seeing him play this year, my opinion is just the opposite. He's got the skill and desire to become a regular NHL player. He might be better suited to 3rd line duties in the long run, but on a weaker team he can be a top 6 winger in the long run.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think everybody is going to have a hard time telling you exactly where his ceiling exists due to his inconsistency at the professional level to this stage in his career. Though not entirely uncommon for young players, he can look great on one shift and then appear borderline apathetic on another and do too much standing around watching the plays developing instead of getting involved and using his body the way he needs to do to have success.

The pervasive thought around here, I am not sure where it originated as there are a lot of good hockey eyes here but it wasn't mine, was Derek Roy. I personally see him as more of a Scottie Upshall type player that brings a bit of undersized sandpaper and scoring touch. I think he'll eventually be the kind of player that jumps between your 2nd and 3rd lines, gets a decent sampling of powerplay time, and scores 20 goals and 50 points a year if he develops properly. I can't really see an upside a lot higher than that for him at this stage. In order for any of that to be relevant, he has to embrace his role as a checking forward as opposed to a top line offensive powerhouse. He still sometimes plays like he's the most skilled guy on the ice and knows it.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

It's tough. Sometimes he looks like he fits right in with Staal on the top line. Then he has time where he cant even keep up on the 4th line. You just never know what you are going to get from him

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think Sammy gets moved and he's on the Canes the rest of the way playing 12-15 min a game.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Posted this in the Checkers thread.

Boychuk is excited at the prospect for staying in Carolina.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
I think Sammy gets moved and he's on the Canes the rest of the way playing 12-15 min a game.
I'd be alright with this. sammy + for a 2nd or 3rd would work. then let Boychuk float around the lines until we can find a good fit. wouldnt be any different than Sammy floating around the lines! haha

Old
01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post

Posted this in the Checkers thread.

Boychuk is excited at the prospect for staying in Carolina.
well i think most prospects....hell EVERY prospect would be excited at that prospect. who wouldnt? who would be content, really, with playing in the AHL their whole career? just seems like an obvious comment

Old
01-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
well i think most prospects....hell EVERY prospect would be excited at that prospect. who wouldnt? who would be content, really, with playing in the AHL their whole career? just seems like an obvious comment
Really?

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
Really?
yes really. if you had the skill like boychuk to play in the NHL and you were given the chance to play there instead of in the AHL, wouldnt you be exicted?

I am not knocking the guy, I just think it is an overly obvious statement. thats all

Old
01-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Maybe Gifsoup is just blocked on Anton Skinner's connection or something and he didn't see the image posted.

01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
Quote:
+1. Yeah man, what a dumb comment

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

1st liner on a crappy team.

2nd liner on a decent team.

3rd liner on a deep team.

What I find funny is, if he were 2 inches taller, then he would be the Hurricanes' first liner of the future.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
+1. Yeah man, what a dumb comment
i didnt say it was dumb, i said it was obvious.

Old
01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
i didnt say it was dumb, i said it was obvious.
LOL don't mean to be picking on you but you really have no idea what's going on do you?

Old
01-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
LOL don't mean to be picking on you but you really have no idea what's going on do you?
ha yeah i must not. i feel like i missed something somewhere

Old
01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
ha yeah i must not. i feel like i missed something somewhere
Above his original statement where he said "he's excited to be up" he posted a GIF in which Boychuk is in front of a Ringling bros. logo acting like a monkey, saying ooh ooh ah ah. It's clearly a thing for the Checkers jumbotron... You must not be able to get the GIF over there.

Old
01-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Above his original statement where he said "he's excited to be up" he posted a GIF in which Boychuk is in front of a Ringling bros. logo acting like a monkey, saying ooh ooh ah ah. It's clearly a thing for the Checkers jumbotron... You must not be able to get the GIF over there.

oh haha yeah now it all makes sense. yeah on these gov't computers we cant get the GIFs and I never looked at this thread while on the commercial ones that you can see GIFs on. thanks for the explanation!

Old
02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
totalkev

I'm officially p!$$ed at the way Zach is being used. Not only is Maurice hurting the team by using Samsonov over Boychuk on the first line, but he's putting Boychuk's future in danger by having him play a game that is flat-out dangerous. Mo's an idiot and I really would like it if he wasn't the coach here anymore.

Oh, and Lemaire's system isn't any more stifling than Mo's ... just sayin'.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Oh, I see...that's why the Devils spent the night in the Hurricanes' zone.

Last edited by geehaad: 02-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.
geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
CanesUltimate11

So its Mo's fault that Volchenkov and Armstrong are ******* morons? He has Boychuk out there playing a physical game, there is nothing wrong with that, Hockey is a physical game.

Do i like him on the 4th line? no. Id rather see him on a more offensive line. But the line he is on is not going to protect him if people on the other team are malicious or stupid. You can get your head taken off on any line in this league.

CanesUltimate11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I'm officially p!$$ed at the way Zach is being used. Not only is Maurice hurting the team by using Samsonov over Boychuk on the first line, but he's putting Boychuk's future in danger by having him play a game that is flat-out dangerous. Mo's an idiot and I really would like it if he wasn't the coach here anymore.

Agree on the using of Samsonov on the top line over Boychuk. It just stupid at this point, in my opinion. Boychuk has seen enough NHL time that if he is going to be here, it should be in the top 9, if not, it is rediculous to use him on the 4th line. JR even said himself there isn't much sense in Boychuk and Dalpe being on the 4th line. The kid has played 54 NHL games thus far in his young career, we know his strengths, we know his weaknesses, he is not best suited on the 4th line, period. Especially at the expense of Samsonov on the top line, who has absolutely no business being there, let alone the fact he is gone either within 2 weeks or in the offseason. And really, is Sergei Samsonov a better option on the top line with Staal, or in the top 9, than Zach Boychuk? I personally think the answer is no. Could they possibly be fairly equivilent at this point? Sure, that's likely, so you might as well (mise well ) give Boychuk the time over Samsonov. Chances are, young Boychuk becomes better with more time, over the period of time. If he's here, give him the damn icetime, especially over Sergei ****ing Samsonov.

With that said, it doesn't matter which line Boychuk is on, he can still get his head ripped off. I understand by rule of thumb sometimes your goons, checkers, etc, are on the lower lines and facing Boychuk when he is on the 4th, but, they're really all over the place these days and with how matchups are, being on the top line can be just as dangerous as being on the 4th. However, I don't personally like Boychuk on the 4th line because I don't think being physical is apart of his game that he needs to do, I think he just has to be aggressive. Aggressive in the term of staying hungry for the puck, forechecking, backchecking, getting dirty with his stick, playing with a high level of tenacity, showing that desire, passion and emotion consistently. There is a difference between physical and aggressive, and I think Boychuk (and his build and style of game) is much better served in playing aggressive rather than physical. If he plays physical, I think the kid becomes prone to injury, if he plays aggressive, he's likely better off, in my opinion.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Mo is so dreamy

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator