HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins have inquired about Hemsky?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2011, 02:05 PM
  #101
Levizk
Registered User
 
Levizk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monroeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Hemsky isn't coming to Pittsburgh, but Oilers fans are going to be disappointed if the expectations for the return are as high as some are demanding in this thread. Hemsky is a lesser Gaborik that shares some of his injury problems (yes I realize his stats are slightly better than Gaborik's this year). I can see the Pens chasing after a player where the expectations are lower like a Brad Boyes or maybe even a Blake Wheeler if Atlanta wants to deal. The price tag needs to reflect a season that's on the edge of being lost to injury.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:06 PM
  #102
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
The Oilers don't need to move Hemsky, you're right. But it's pretty obvious that his talents aren't doing the Oilers any favours, and he's more valuable to them as an asset to yield youth in a trade than an on-ice product.

I have a real hard time believing he'll net a top prospect like Schenn though, which seems more like a catch-all dream solution for a few very optimistic Oilers fans than anything rooted in reality.

Finally, if you think a Kennedy, Despres, 1st package is mediocre, you need to better acquaint yourself with the assets involved.
It is mediocre for what we're giving up. We gave up Smyth for a similar collection of potentially good parts and got squat from it. We aren't going to make that mistake with Hemsky.

Hemsky has said he understands and believes in the rebuild and also that he likes playing here(girlfriend lives here, etc). He's young enough that when the kids are competitive(3-4 years) he'll only be in his early 30s with plenty of good hockey left. He can take the tough assignments over the near future, and shift to a support role when the kids take over. His injury problems are overstated as he's only had the one really bad year, and is a near ppg guy when in the lineup. Plus he's a draft pick, and it would be nice to see one of those guys have an entire career here. We have a bunch of reasons to keep Hemsky, so if the offer isn't a potential upgrade to the team, we have no reason to move him.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:08 PM
  #103
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,567
vCash: 500
The Oilers have leverage here.

Hemsky is not that far off Hossa as being an impact player. On top of that, he's signed for another season.

The Oilers are in NO RUSH to deal their BEST PLAYER.

The Oilers would likely want something like Tangradi/Jeffrey, Despres and a 1st round pick.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:08 PM
  #104
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Finally, if you think a Kennedy, Despres, 1st package is mediocre, you need to better acquaint yourself with the assets involved.
Kennedy? You can sign quality veteran 3rd line players every summer. You don't need to trade big assets for them.

Despres? Is there anything to distinguish Despres from guys like Petry, Chorney, Plante, Marincin, Blain, etc? Not really.

The Penguins 1st? Right now that would be the 27th pick. Is that really that much to get excited about when we've already got the 31st or 32nd pick? Teams draft lists differ so much by the time you're out of the 1st half of the first round that the player they'd pick at 27 might easily still be there at 31 anyway.


All of this stuff might be useful, but none of it is anything the Oilers need to acquire to move forward. It's just stuff we already have or would be easy to get. You don't move your best assets for stuff you already have or could get easily some other way.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:09 PM
  #105
Levizk
Registered User
 
Levizk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monroeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The Oilers have leverage here.

Hemsky is not that far off Hossa as being an impact player. On top of that, he's signed for another season.

The Oilers are in NO RUSH to deal their BEST PLAYER.

The Oilers would likely want something like Tangradi/Jeffrey, Despres and a 1st round pick.
That price tag is a bit more reasonable, with Hemsky signed for another year it would be something that would have to be looked at.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
  #106
LostMyGlasses*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Simon Fraser
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Hemsky will be an Oiler next season if Edmonton's GM's demands are as high as some of the Oiler posters on this site.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:14 PM
  #107
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Staal isn't being traded for Hemsky unless Edmonton adds something of good quality. Simply put.
a nice bottle of wine perhaps?
I wouldnt add a thing to Hemsky for Staal. In fact i'd rather have Hemsky and have no idea why the Oilers are even looking to move him.

If i were the Oilers id be looking to sign long term deals to Penner and Hemsky for about they are currently making, wait for the kids to get a couple of years older, marinate, add some spices and do a lot of winning.
You may pick up a #1 center in the draft this year, you may get another good pick next year.

These are both somewhat unique guys, Hemsky has some of the best passing hands in the league and you cant teach Penner's size.
I wouldn't make this deal for Hemsky and i certainly wouldnt trade him for Brayden Schenn.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
  #108
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Hemsky will be an Oiler next season if Edmonton's GM's demands are as high as some of the Oiler posters on this site.
Looks like it, if a good young roster player has to be in the deal then that's going to be tough to get as most teams are looking to load up at playoff time.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
  #109
middletoe
Why am I me?
 
middletoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
If this is true I guess the Penguins are not ready to concede a run for the cup. This is good to hear.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
  #110
No Quarter
Registered User
 
No Quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Turtle Creek PA.
Posts: 11,308
vCash: 500
Oilers fans are off there freakin rocker. They're not gettin are 2 best prospects for Hemsky plus a 1st. LMFAO

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
  #111
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,503
vCash: 500
Did I seriously just read Hemsky for Staal, Despres and a 1st? I can guarantee than Staal has more trade value than Hemsky by himself.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
  #112
davegagnerskid
 
davegagnerskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Don't see a reason to move Hemsky unless the deal heavily favors the Oilers. Even if the Oil or #83 don't see his future in Edmonton after the 11/12 season there still is all of next year to trade him.

On a team as young as the Oilers the need for a quality veteran who puts in a hard working shift and his Cup finals experience is invaluable.

Hemsky stays unless it fills a major void (top pairing d-man or potential #1 Center) in the roster. Rather see the big bodied Penner moved. Hemsky brings it almost every night and has found a new level of defensive commitment this year. Often leading the rush yet being the first forward back on the back check.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
  #113
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Kennedy? You can sign quality veteran 3rd line players every summer. You don't need to trade big assets for them.

Despres? Is there anything to distinguish Despres from guys like Petry, Chorney, Plante, Marincin, Blain, etc? Not really.

The Penguins 1st? Right now that would be the 27th pick. Is that really that much to get excited about when we've already got the 31st or 32nd pick? Teams draft lists differ so much by the time you're out of the 1st half of the first round that the player they'd pick at 27 might easily still be there at 31 anyway.


All of this stuff might be useful, but none of it is anything the Oilers need to acquire to move forward. It's just stuff we already have or would be easy to get. You don't move your best assets for stuff you already have or could get easily some other way.


Also, Kennedy is 24, was going to have a 20 goal season in 09 if not for injuries and with the way he's going right now might hit 20 goals/40 points.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
  #114
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Did I seriously just read Hemsky for Staal, Despres and a 1st? I can guarantee than Staal has more trade value than Hemsky by himself.
Staal + Despres or 1st not both.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:36 PM
  #115
davegagnerskid
 
davegagnerskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post


Also, Kennedy is 24, was going to have a 20 goal season in 09 if not for injuries and with the way he's going right now might hit 20 goals/40 points.
Does not Kennedy spend most of his time on Crosby's wing?

18 games 6G 4A since Crosby left.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:36 PM
  #116
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
Does not Kennedy spend most of his time on Crosby's wing?
By my count, Kennedy has had 3 shifts with Crosby since 2008.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:37 PM
  #117
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Staal + Despres or 1st not both.
That's.... still pretty awful.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
  #118
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
a nice bottle of wine perhaps?
I wouldnt add a thing to Hemsky for Staal. In fact i'd rather have Hemsky and have no idea why the Oilers are even looking to move him.

If i were the Oilers id be looking to sign long term deals to Penner and Hemsky for about they are currently making, wait for the kids to get a couple of years older, marinate, add some spices and do a lot of winning.
You may pick up a #1 center in the draft this year, you may get another good pick next year.

These are both somewhat unique guys, Hemsky has some of the best passing hands in the league and you cant teach Penner's size.
I wouldn't make this deal for Hemsky and i certainly wouldnt trade him for Brayden Schenn.
I wouldnt blame you either. But from Pittsburgh's prespective, trading Staal for Hemsky doesn't help us at all.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:40 PM
  #119
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I wouldnt blame you either. But from Pittsburgh's prespective, trading Staal for Hemsky doesn't help us at all.
Definitely makes sense. Pittsburgh is in no position to trade Staal right now, especially for a winger out of all things.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:40 PM
  #120
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Hemsky will be an Oiler next season if Edmonton's GM's demands are as high as some of the Oiler posters on this site.
I think the thing with most Oiler fans is that they are fine with that.

Hemsky is signed for next year and has indicated that he likes Edmonton and it appears that he would be open to signing beyond next season.

If there isn't an offer that blows the Oilers out of the water than it doesn't make sense to trade a guy who right now is the teams best forward.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:44 PM
  #121
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
Does not Kennedy spend most of his time on Crosby's wing?

18 games 6G 4A since Crosby left.
Kennedy never plays with Sid and rarely with Geno (most feel he should be given a shot especially when Dupuis and Talbot get multiple chances). With the right linemates I think Kennedy could put up a few 20 goal seasons.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:48 PM
  #122
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Hemsky will be an Oiler next season if Edmonton's GM's demands are as high as some of the Oiler posters on this site.
good, they need him

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:48 PM
  #123
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
I'm not sure why you're laughing.

-Petry is posting very similar numbers to Ryan Whitney in the AHL at the same age. 6'3, 200 lbs, and every bit as mobile as Despres. I wouldn't be shocked if they became similar players.

-Blain is producing at an identical pace to Despres, and he's a year younger.

-Marincin is bigger than Despres, a lesser skater but still extremely fast for a player his size, and he's got 50 points in 54 games.

Would Despres automatically become our #1 defense prospect? Sure, but the margin between he and the three above isn't significant- especially Marincin, who had as many points at the WJC despite being younger, and who is arguably the better CHL player.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:49 PM
  #124
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,503
vCash: 500
How do the Oilers need him? Do they expect to actually make the playoffs next year?

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:49 PM
  #125
jcorb58
Registered User
 
jcorb58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
If im Tambo, i ask the moon, Hemsky will still be a great player when the kids get their sea legs. Hall and Hemsky will look pretty good together. As an Oiler fan i dont want to trade him. He may not be the best player in the league but he sure can be exciting to watch. I hope hes still an Oiler after the deadline. Hes finally got some talent to play with and he seems to finally be enjoying himself. I would lock him up for another 5 years.

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.