HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[OTT/ANA] Jarkko Ruutu for Phoenix 6th

Old
02-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Ok, I'm getting tired of these reactions.

Why do you actually think there's a better market for Ruutu? Why do you think that if we 'hold off' we would have gotten a better return?

We would have probably lost him for NOTHING. Why take the chance?

Anyone who thinks that a 35 year old 4th line pest soon to be UFA is worth more than a 6th is sadly mistaken.

Murray knows more than you, and was told to shed salary which is what he is doing. Ruutu was been useless this year, and his only worth is to a playoff contender as a rental.

I really don't get the reactions toward theses trades. IT'S A REBUILD PEOPLE. This is what is going to happen.
Anaheim picked him up for the playoffs as most teams do at the deadline. They go after players that they feel are valuable and can help them win a stanley cup.

Ruutu had 2 goals and 1 assist, was a +2 and had a game winning goal in 6 games last yr in the playoffs.
Last playoff Selanne played in 08-09, he had 4 goals and 2 assists, was a -2 in 13 games.

So far Murray has gotten the bare minimum acceptable on all 3 deals.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
Anaheim picked him up for the playoffs as most teams do at the deadline. They go after players that they feel are valuable and can help them win a stanley cup.

Ruutu had 2 goals and 1 assist, was a +2 and had a game winning goal in 6 games last yr in the playoffs.
Last playoff Selanne played in 08-09, he had 4 goals and 2 assists, was a -2 in 13 games.

Acceptable to who? You? Right now there are a lot of contenders for a playoff spot that are looking for help. On Feb 28th there could be 4 or 6 teams that drop from that status and become sellers. Look at the Avs. Apparently if you believe the rumour mill they were interested in Gonchar. A week and a half later they are essentially also rans and have no interest in Gonchar anymore. You take the deals when you can get them. Waiting any longer presents a risk. If it does not pay off, then all you complainers would be on here saying what a dolt Murray is because now Ruutu leaves for nothing in return when he could have gotten at least a 6th.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:47 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:

LOL.

Maybe if WE throw in a 6th rounder, we could get Selanne in return.

I'm sorry, but this comparison is ridiculous.

He had a decent playoff series last season when there wasn't anyone else on the team.

He has 10 points in 58 career playoff games. Give him the Conn Smythe already.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
LOL.

Maybe if WE throw in a 6th rounder, we could get Selanne in return.

I'm sorry, but this comparison is ridiculous.

He had a decent playoff series last season when there wasn't anyone else on the team.

He has 10 points in 58 career playoff games. Give him the Conn Smythe already.
I'm not comparing the two. I'm saying that Ruutu has value to a team going into the playoffs.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:55 AM
OgieO

One thing to remember on the timing of the trade (i.e. a bit more than a week before the deadline) - Murray has the potential for 5 or 6 more trades to make (Campoli, Kuba, Phillips, Neil, Gonchar, etc), it wouldn't be possible to cram all those negotiations into the final day or two before the deadline. Now he's freed some time to work on moving the harder to move players.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
I'm not comparing the two. I'm saying that Ruutu has value to a team going into the playoffs.
He doesn't have Fisher or even Kelly value going into the playoffs.

So I'm not sure what kind of return you were expecting for a 4th liner.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
He doesn't have Fisher or even Kelly value going into the playoffs.

So I'm not sure what kind of return you were expecting for a 4th liner.
next week a late 4th or 5th. makes a difference

Old
02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
TheGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Ok, I'm getting tired of these reactions.

Why do you actually think there's a better market for Ruutu? Why do you think that if we 'hold off' we would have gotten a better return?

We would have probably lost him for NOTHING. Why take the chance?

Anyone who thinks that a 35 year old 4th line pest soon to be UFA is worth more than a 6th is sadly mistaken.

Murray knows more than you, and was told to shed salary which is what he is doing. Ruutu was been useless this year, and his only worth is to a playoff contender as a rental.

I really don't get the reactions toward theses trades. IT'S A REBUILD PEOPLE. This is what is going to happen.
I don't disagree with you, and I'm not saying that Rutuu's value is high, my point is, I really don't care about a 6th round pick...6th round pick/ losing him for nothing isn't much different. To lose him I would have liked someone to over pay for his value. That is all. I'm not trying to say we should have gotten a 2nd rounder for him..still a lower pick but 6th round is just as useless as losing him as a UFA in my mind.

TheGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
It doesn't really make a difference.

Beyond the 3rd round, it's a big crap shoot.

The number of regular NHL players doesn't differentiate all that much from 4th to 6th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneral
6th round is just as useless as losing him as a UFA in my mind.
Also, think on the fact that Eugene Melnyk doesn't have to pay his salary for the rest of the season.

Considering we're not exactly packing in the fans these days, any money he saves is fine.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
OR ZERO. What happens if ANA decided they did not want to wait and went out got somebody else? What happens if the teams that were interested were only interested in Ruutu and would have traded for him if they were still in contention? You can wait with a player like Gonchar, you can't wait with a player like Ruutu. If you're going to get rid of him you do it as soon as you can. BTW no way in heck does Ruutu come close to bringing back a 4th rounder. Not unless he goes on a 10 game scoring streak between now and the deadline.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
It doesn't really make a difference.

Beyond the 3rd round, it's a big crap shoot.

The number of regular NHL players doesn't differentiate all that much from 4th to 6th.

Also, think on the fact that Eugene Melnyk doesn't have to pay his salary for the rest of the season.

Considering we're not exactly packing in the fans these days, any money he saves is fine.
It's a better asset. Need to maximize your assets in a rebuild process.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:44 AM
TheGeneral

Quote:

This is a fair point I didn't consider. However I doubt that Rutuu's salary for the last leg of a season makes too big of a difference to force murray to ship him out.

I would have liked to have shipped a combination of Rutuu + 2nd rounder and whatever else would be needed to bump into another 1st round pick. I doubt any team was available for such a deal though.

TheGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Derivation

Glad to see Murray so active. Surprised only a 6th but we'll take it.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Sidetracked

vCash: 50
Surprised anyone is hating this trade. Getting anything for Ruutu = win.

Sidetracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
SenzZen

The 6th round: it's where we make BANK!!!

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
This is a fair point I didn't consider. However I doubt that Rutuu's salary for the last leg of a season makes too big of a difference to force murray to ship him out.

I would have liked to have shipped a combination of Rutuu + 2nd rounder and whatever else would be needed to bump into another 1st round pick. I doubt any team was available for such a deal though.
Ruutu vs Lessard

1300k vs 550k = 750k * 30% of season left = 225k is still a lot of money even for Melnyk

Last edited by guyzeur: 02-18-2011 at 02:09 PM.
guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
I think Murray is clearly using a strategy of getting deals done without waiting til the last minute.

I suspect either he or Melnyk are still remembering the 2009 trade deadline when we came up with squat for our UFAs.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post

Ok I passed a lot of your comments, but comon take a break dude... lol

And I'm surprised some people wanted to re-sign Ruutu. He is now 36 and didn't play with a lot of energy this season. I don't care about his stats

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:26 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Last year, this trade would have been awful. Sharkko was one of my favourite players.

This year, I really didn't bat an eye. Ruutu just wasn't the same player. Not even just skill-wise, he was rarely up to his antics even. Oh well.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Last year, this trade would have been awful. Sharkko was one of my favourite players.

This year, I really didn't bat an eye. Ruutu just wasn't the same player. Not even just skill-wise, he was rarely up to his antics even. Oh well.
That's the problem when you trade away players after a season like this. Even the fans forget their real value.

First shift in Anaheim, goal.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
That's the problem when you trade away players after a season like this. Even the fans forget their real value.
No, the problem is that when 35 year old UFA's have a season like this, their value goes down.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 03:00 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
I don't disagree with you, and I'm not saying that Rutuu's value is high, my point is, I really don't care about a 6th round pick...6th round pick/ losing him for nothing isn't much different. To lose him I would have liked someone to over pay for his value. That is all. I'm not trying to say we should have gotten a 2nd rounder for him..still a lower pick but 6th round is just as useless as losing him as a UFA in my mind.
Fair enough. My point was that if a 6th round pick is what we got, I doubt there was much interest by other teams. Murray decided to make that trade based on what was offered and what he thought he could get before the trade deadline. I do understand the premise of holding out, but I think teams are starting to play it safe instead of overpaying at the last minute.

If he would have held on to Ruutu, maybe Phoenix (or other teams interested) would have found help elsewhere. Any pick is better than losing a player for nothing.

This year has been exceptional for 'early' trades compared to previous years. My guess is that on the 28th, not much is going to happen because most trades would have occurred already.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote