HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want a trade that shakes the team to its core

Old
02-20-2011, 08:06 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
I want a trade that shakes the team to its core

Miller for Lundqvist? Something crazy that shakes the entire chemistry of the team up. Move Vanek, Pominville -- something that wakes up everybody. These guys just can't bring it when it counts. They are all too cozy and comfortable.
It's either that or fire the coach/GM.
I'm sick of it. I don't even want my tickets for the rest of the year.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:12 PM
LGBuffalo

I agree with your sentiments. I feel that I myself have been too comfortable with the core players, and every time a trade rumor comes up, I don't want it to involve any of those players. However, after watching this team that has fought so valiantly to get back into play-off contention just seem to throw-in the towel, I also feel it's time for some of them to go. If it means Vanek, Pominville, or Roy, so be it. Something has to change.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Afino
The Juice

And this is why fans don't run the team.

This isn't a fantasy league where trades like that just happen on a whim. You could argue that the recent STL/COL trade was a "fantasy league" trade, but it was hardly one because it was clear that Johnson had basically worn out his welcome in STL and the management was ready to move on.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Miller for Lundqvist? Something crazy that shakes the entire chemistry of the team up. Move Vanek, Pominville -- something that wakes up everybody. These guys just can't bring it when it counts. They are all too cozy and comfortable.
It's the easiest, and biggest risk/reward. Pittsburgh, and Chicago made out OK.

Fill the Holes at center, get Myers a longterm partner. Get a coach that gets the best out of the best players that are here.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:32 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post

This isn't a fantasy league where trades like that just happen on a whim. You could argue that the recent STL/COL trade was a "fantasy league" trade, but it was hardly one because it was clear that Johnson had basically worn out his welcome in STL and the management was ready to move on.

Why talk down to it? The team gets a sniff of a playoff spot and the most important players on the roster immediately begin to disappoint. Regier states that he has plans to be active at the deadline, yet the roster has needed improvement for months.

A change larger than adding a rental or dumping a UFA is called for.

After going to the last two games, I am also sick of it. You know who else is getting sick of it? Other people who buy tickets. Granted, I didn't try to sell many of my games the year after the lockout, but this is the most difficult that it has been for me to sell games that I can't attend since I have been a STH.

Last edited by cardiffgiant: 02-20-2011 at 08:53 PM.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:38 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Not to turn into a trite Bucky article about the co-captains.. BUT... with the way the playoffs ended- it seemed like Regier had a come to jesus moment about his precious players and perhaps was going to shift the core a bit. He didnt do it in the offseason. He probably wont do it at the deadline and if that happens- i'm definitely on the replace Regier front. I think he's a competent GM, but his slower than molasses reactions to fixing the roster, his reactionary roster signings (maybe that was meddling from above too?), his infatuation w/ HIS core, and slow reaction to how the game is being played and officiating has me ready for change..

Maybe it makes sense to merge this thread into the poll thread about the same topic?

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Besides MAYBE the Gretzky trade... Has there ever REALLY been a move that "shook the team to it's core".... Really?

I think that never really happens.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Besides MAYBE the Gretzky trade... Has there ever REALLY been a move that "shook the team to it's core".... Really?

Big turnarounds come from coaching changes. Roster Blowups just set franchises back.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Pass McGass

vCash: 890
I'd take that Miller for Lundqvist trade faster than you can say "nipple hair".

Pass McGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

Really? It never happens. What are you talking about? You've grown comfortable to Regier years like the players. Remember Lafontaine+ for Turgeon+. Andreychuk/Fuhr deal, Savard/McNab. And that's the ones in Buffalo that come to mind. Sometimes they blow up in your face. Fuhr? Or maybe they don't because you also pickup Hasek. Who knows but it does shake things up.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:33 PM
boots electric

it's pretty clear that a lot of guys on the team have sank into a cozy little rut recently. if it takes a little dynamite to get them out of it, so be it.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:49 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Really? It never happens. What are you talking about? You've grown comfortable to Regier years like the players. Remember Lafontaine+ for Turgeon+. Andreychuk/Fuhr deal, Savard/McNab. And that's the ones in Buffalo that come to mind. Sometimes they blow up in your face. Fuhr? Or maybe they don't because you also pickup Hasek. Who knows but it does shake things up.
Those transactions shook things up. But to shake a team (meaning all remaining players and coaches) to their "core". Which is what you said. Yea, not quite.

To assume I have grown comfortable about Regier blah blah.. Well assuming makes an a** ...

Old
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
This isn't an "F" core. This is at worst a "C" core that would be better served by a tweaking than a demolition.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post

I'm not talking about a whim. I'm talking about a well thought out blockbuster move that comes with some inherent risks and some potential rewards. Status quo is not working.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:56 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Those transactions shook things up. But to shake a team (meaning all remaining players and coaches) to their "core". Which is what you said. Yea, not quite.

To assume I have grown comfortable about Regier blah blah.. Well assuming makes an a** ...
Turgeon-Lafontaine doesn't qualify. Are you serious? He was the #1 pick overall. Our best player. Maybe Hawerchuk. The deal was a shocker and done to change the team. Whatever. You're wrong. Plain and simple. These deals happen.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 02-20-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
I'm not talking about a whim. I'm talking about a well thought out blockbuster move that comes with some inherent risks and some potential rewards. Status quo is not working.
Well, status quo is no more. Status quo sold the team to Terry Pegula. So we'll see what happens.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:06 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Turgeon-Lafontaine doesn't qualify. Are you serious? He was the #1 pick overall. Our best player. Whatever. You're wrong. Plain and simple. These deals happen.
Nice reasoning ... You're wrong

There IS a difference (which falls on you're blind eyes) between a move(s) that shake things up and a move(s) that "shake a team to it's core". Think about it. Did 9/11 shake a country to it's "core"? Yes. Did Ronald Reagan getting shot shake the country to it's "core"? No. Think about what you're really saying and don't be so dramatic.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I think if Darcy wasn't a frail, complacent little ****, and actually did a better job building around this core, we wouldn't have a problem. But I think it's too late now. Guys like Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Roy and even Miller are all too old now to break from their bad habits.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:14 PM
fightclubber25

I definitely think a top 6 shakeup is going to happen. My gut just tells me two of pominville Roy Stafford and hecht are off this team by next fall. Whether it happens this week or this summer probably depends on what teams who aren't in the playoff bubble are offering.

I don't see then sending off anything higher than a 3rd rounder in a package for anyone at the deadline .. I'd say were limited to dealing with teams who aren't in the playoff picture as far as getting roster players.. I'm predicting character/leadership guys from these deals. Then I also see us sellingoff two of Connolly rivet grier niedermayer for later round picks or longshot prospects

If there are any big swaps this week I see something along the lines of pominville Weber late round pick for a top 6 guy and a bottom 4 D. Or hecht pominville or hecht Stafford and butler/sekera for a solid 1st line player and a pick.

People on my stay list :
Ennis, roy, vanek, Myers, Leo, miller

People on my go list:
Connolly, pominville, Stafford, hecht, monty, Butler, sekera.

Possible trade chips:
Gerbe, goose, Weber, morrisonn, enroth.

No opinion on people not mentioned.

Could be an exciting deadline.. I'm leaning towards boring but I think big changes either way

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:17 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Nice reasoning ... You're wrong

There IS a difference (which falls on you're blind eyes) between a move(s) that shake things up and a move(s) that "shake a team to it's core". Think about it. Did 9/11 shake a country to it's "core"? Yes. Did Ronald Reagan getting shot shake the country to it's "core"? No. Think about what you're really saying and don't be so dramatic.
Trading your top player doesn't count? I give up. Basically, you are saying only trading the best player in hockey counts as shaking up a team to its core.
Does Esposito for Park count? Or that doesn't do it for you either? How about trading half of your team for Lindros? Patrick Roy to Colorado? Wendal Clark (the heart of Leafs) for Sundin. Joe Thornton being booted out of Boston?
I know, these deals never happen. Not on Darcy's watch.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Selanne00008

I have a question. What team would really take Pominvilles salary? For what he brings to the table how could anyone except Maybe someone who needs to get to the cap floor take his salary?

I assume we are stuck with some of these salaries. Its like Souray and Redden, only to a lesser extent. if they could have traded them to ANY team they would have. Absolutely nobody wanted any part of their salaries, so they stash them in the AHL

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I have a question. What team would really take Pominvilles salary? For what he brings to the table how could anyone except Maybe someone who needs to get to the cap floor take his salary?

I assume we are stuck with some of these salaries. Its like Souray and Redden, only to a lesser extent. if they could have traded them to ANY team they would have. Absolutely nobody wanted any part of their salaries, so they stash them in the AHL
For the majority of his contract his cap hit's been fine. This is his worst year and it's not awful IMO.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
For the majority of his contract his cap hit's been fine. This is his worst year and it's not awful IMO.
I know he's had better years. But he doesnt bring any special skills (PPQB, Physical, awesome PK). 13G and 20A. Probly on pace for 40 points for 5.5 mill. IMO thats pretty awful

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
sand1138man

Quote:
I doubt that the Rangers would even want that trade. It doesn't matter what we do. Right now, when the sabres should be playing with the most amount of desperation just outside the playoffs, they look like they dont even care.So even if we make a HUGE trade it's not going to make a difference. The sabres have been given every opportunity to get into the 8th and even 7th spot by now and they are still sitting 4 points out because they can't even get a point at home. One move isn't gonna change their attitude...........WE CHANGED THE OWNER and they are still putting out a crap product......even if we SNEAK into the 8th spot we will be demolished by whoever we play because this is how we play when it matters...............when the team scores 6, miller lets in 7 and when miller only lets in 1 we score 0, NY Ilanders, Toronto, St. Louis, and Washington have all beaten us in our building in the past week, what major change is going to stop that awfulness?

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I have a question. What team would really take Pominvilles salary?
Montreal took Gomez's salary at one time. I definitely wouldn't say that Pominville is untradable.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote