HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Huselius wants to come back?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
  #26
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,715
vCash: 500
This is kind of ironic that this rumor came to be, Huselius is the kind of player the Flames will likely be going after before the deadline. He knows the city, has had success here, it could be a good fit.

I would offer the Jackets Stajan for Juice straight up and thats it. I think the Jackets would take it as well. There is no need to offer anything else, think about it that is probably the best offer they would get for him. Huselius has not lived up to expectations in his time there, and he makes 4.25 million, add to that now that he wants to be traded. I cannot see a ton of GM's lining up to take on Huselius' salary. A bad contract would have to be going back. The Jackets aquiring Stajan actually frees up 1.25 million from their cap for next year which is attractive in itself.

The Flames do this because a) they get a skilled top 6 winger this season which will help them in their playoff push. And b) they get out of Stajan's long term bad contract and are only the hook for Huselius' contract until the end of next season. I really can't see any team offering much better for Juice, and given that he supposedly wants to come to Calgary, Stajan will be as good as it gets.

I think if Hagman is traded it should be for picks/prospects. Stajan is expendable and Backlund can easily replace what Stajan has not brought since being demoted to the 3rd. To me this is a good fit for both teams given their situations.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
  #27
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Your love for Matt Stajan knows no bounds. I just don't understand it.

One of the key reasons to deal both Stajan and Hagman is to create some cap flexibility next year and beyond.

For next year, the team would free up $1.75M in cap space, which could be invaluable in trying to re-sign Tanguay and/or Glencross. For 2012-13, they would gain Huselius' $4.75M cap space. By not making the deal, they would still have Stajan's $3.5M cap hit on the books until 2014-15.

Stajan is a good complementary player, but he's not worth $3.5M annually. I like Hagman, but he just hasn't found a fit in Calgary.

Huselius could be a good fit back in Calgary. The team still lacks playmakers, and Huselius fits the bill. He might just be the guy who helps get Rene Bourque back on track. Put Huselius on a line with Backlund and Bourque, and his defensive deficiencies would be masked since both players are excellent defensive players. Yet, this third line could be very dangerous offensively.

Now, if the team could deal other players for Huselius (e.g., Staios, Kotalik), then they should make the move. But dealing Stajan and Hagman for Huselius+ isn't a bad idea.
Its not about love for anyone... its about Useless... being well useless... the guy is ****ing lazy... can't play defense and now is severely overpaid....

Stajan is making about 500k too much... same with Hagman... But I wouldn't give that lazy, soft piece of crap Huselius more than $3 million... we could create more cap flexibility by simply moving Hagmanthan we would trading both for Huselius... there is a reason he wasnt offered a contract when his last one with us expired

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
  #28
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Its not about love for anyone... its about Useless... being well useless... the guy is ****ing lazy... can't play defense and now is severely overpaid....

Stajan is making about 500k too much... same with Hagman... But I wouldn't give that lazy, soft piece of crap Huselius more than $3 million... we could create more cap flexibility by simply moving Hagmanthan we would trading both for Huselius... there is a reason he wasnt offered a contract when his last one with us expired
I am curious, would you move Stajan for Huselius straight up? The reason I would do this because it would improve our top 6 for season for a playoff run. And long term it would give us more cap flexibility after next season.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:02 AM
  #29
AnAfricanMidget
Registered User
 
AnAfricanMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Igloo
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Huselius may not be great defensively, and he might not be the toughest guy but he si a creative, offensive palyer. Other than Tanguay, how many fo those do we have.

Believe me I like Stajan, and he has been a good fit, but if we were to make a trade for Huselius, he would need to go the other way. I am not saying trade for Huselius, I just think if we get him we would lose Stajan.

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:46 PM
  #30
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty
 
3rdEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CoRD's house
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,727
vCash: 500
If Sutter was still GM, I would have no doubt this trade would most likely happen. Not sure if Feaster will bite. I would do Huselius for Stajan + Staois in a second.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:49 PM
  #31
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
No thanks.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:59 PM
  #32
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Loved the offense that Juice brought, but he's almost if not as bad as Bourque when it comes to his streakyness. The minimum that the Jackets must take off our hands is Stajan, and if we could add Hagman in order for a prospect coming our way (I'd like me some Matthew Calvert), that makes it better.

Doubt it would happen, but one can dream.
I think your memory is a bit short. Huselius was the streakiest player I've ever seen on the Flames.

I don't want him back period. (Columbus will not take our Stajans and Staios's for an expiring contract) If Huselius asks Columbus management "Can i have a trade to Calgary?" I'm sure they will tell him "Have your agent talk to their GM in a few months." Why would they have any interest in trading an expiring contract for a guy with years left? Or Staios? He would be a rental and they would want picks and or prospects.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
  #33
abracanada
Registered User
 
abracanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
It is an opportunity to move undesireable contracts and replace them with some potential upside. Even better if a team is willing to swallow part of his salary as part of the deal. Feaster talked about adding one skill type of player and Huselius, if used correctly, could fill that role quite nicely.

I would not be offended if Feaster figured out a way to make this happen.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:08 PM
  #34
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I think your memory is a bit short. Huselius was the streakiest player I've ever seen on the Flames.

I don't want him back period. (Columbus will not take our Stajans and Staios's for an expiring contract) If Huselius asks Columbus management "Can i have a trade to Calgary?" I'm sure they will tell him "Have your agent talk to their GM in a few months." Why would they have any interest in trading an expiring contract for a guy with years left? Or Staios? He would be a rental and they would want picks and or prospects.
Totally the bolded part.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:19 PM
  #35
robmneilson
Registered User
 
robmneilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
I loved Juice when he was here, but I can't imagine Stajan and spare parts would land him here. Also if it aint broke, why fix it? Does Huselius even have enough sand to do anything in the western conference playoffs?

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:21 PM
  #36
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I think your memory is a bit short. Huselius was the streakiest player I've ever seen on the Flames.

I don't want him back period. (Columbus will not take our Stajans and Staios's for an expiring contract) If Huselius asks Columbus management "Can i have a trade to Calgary?" I'm sure they will tell him "Have your agent talk to their GM in a few months." Why would they have any interest in trading an expiring contract for a guy with years left? Or Staios? He would be a rental and they would want picks and or prospects.
Moss is streakier, but Useless is #2

and he's not an expiring contract, there is a full year left on his deal... if he was simply a rental I might actually bite... but I do not want him as a Flame next season

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 03:06 PM
  #37
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
That makes it even worse then, another year of a guy making almost 5 million. Just what our cap situation needs.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 05:28 PM
  #38
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 500
Unless we get him for Kotalik, Stajan and a salary dump I don't really want him back.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 06:23 PM
  #39
Unlimited Chequing
Baecon Pancakes
 
Unlimited Chequing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 0
I would take Juice back in exchange for Stajan and Hagman in a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Why did he leave again? Was it FA chasing the money?
Just like Tangs, I'm sure Keenan had a lot to do with him leaving.

Unlimited Chequing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
  #40
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
You acquire Juice for the stretch run, and he does improve the team's top-6. We've seen him get on hot streaks after making a move to another team.

Next year, as he only has one year remaining, the team could waive him if he struggles in order to free up cap space or ship him off to Europe.

Northern Neighbour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:30 PM
  #41
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I am curious, would you move Stajan for Huselius straight up? The reason I would do this because it would improve our top 6 for season for a playoff run. And long term it would give us more cap flexibility after next season.
No I wouldn't...

Stajan is more valuable to this team than people like you give him credit for... he is our ONLY center that is over 50% on draws... he can play in every situation and is not a liability at either end of the ice...

also look at it this way if you want the help for a playoff run... at Stajan's pace will will put up about 10 points over the next 20 games... and Huselius over his pace will put up about 12 points over those 20 games...

is weaking our defensive play, losing a PK option and giving up our best player in the faceoff circle really worth about 2 extra points over the remainder of the season?... no its not... moving Stajan to upgrade the center position is one thing... moving him to add a winger just adds winger depth while depleting our center depth

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
  #42
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
No I wouldn't...

Stajan is more valuable to this team than people like you give him credit for... he is our ONLY center that is over 50% on draws... he can play in every situation and is not a liability at either end of the ice...

also look at it this way if you want the help for a playoff run... at Stajan's pace will will put up about 10 points over the next 20 games... and Huselius over his pace will put up about 12 points over those 20 games...

is weaking our defensive play, losing a PK option and giving up our best player in the faceoff circle really worth about 2 extra points over the remainder of the season?... no its not... moving Stajan to upgrade the center position is one thing... moving him to add a winger just adds winger depth while depleting our center depth
The first paragraph is all true, and I won't argrue anything that you said. But I will say that Backlund is pretty much capable of doing everything that Stajan does at cap hit that is lower by 2.3 million. Yes Stajan's FO% is better than Backlund's, but Backlund's percentage is still a respectable 46%. So ask yourself is that worth 2.3 million dollars? Another point is this, Stajan does have the best FO% on the team, but he is now playing 3rd line minutes, so how much is he really on the ice to utilize that.

We can both agree that Stajan is overpaid. While he is not hurting the team by any stretch, my opinion is that we could be using his money better spent on a top 6 winger. I would love to get out of his long term contract, because he is a 3rd line centre and given his offensive production since being demoted to the 3rd line we could sign a comparable centre in the offseason for his half of his salary. While you point out Stajan's point projections, those take into account his time playing on the top line from earlier this season. Since he has been centreing the 3rd, he has not been producing anywhere near the same pace.

For me personally, if Feaster could move Stajan for Huselius straight up, I think that is a move they should pull the trigger on. It will help this season because Backlund could slide into Stajan's role, and it will help us long term because Huselius' contract will be off the books at the end of next season. Regardless I am not sure that Columbus does that deal.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:49 PM
  #43
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The first paragraph is all true, and I won't argrue anything that you said. But I will say that Backlund is pretty much capable of doing everything that Stajan does at cap hit that is lower by 2.3 million. Yes Stajan's FO% is better than Backlund's, but Backlund's percentage is still a respectable 46%. So ask yourself is that worth 2.3 million dollars? Another point is this, Stajan does have the best FO% on the team, but he is now playing 3rd line minutes, so how much is he really on the ice to utilize that.
consdiering the Flames roll 3 lines with regularity I would say he is on the ice enough to utilize his faceoff ability... and I don't doubt Backlund can play 3rd line minutes... but that leaves us with both our 3rd and 4th line centers as rookies (assuming Bouma gets recalled) and no one on the depth chart if someone gets hurt... that is not worth it to me... especially for merely a marginal offensive improvement (at an extra 1.25 million at that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
We can both agree that Stajan is overpaid. While he is not hurting the team by any stretch, my opinion is that we could be using his money better spent on a top 6 winger. I would love to get out of his long term contract, because he is a 3rd line centre and given his offensive production since being demoted to the 3rd line we could sign a comparable centre in the offseason for his half of his salary. While you point out Stajan's point projections, those take into account his time playing on the top line from earlier this season. Since he has been centreing the 3rd, he has not been producing anywhere near the same pace.
considering Stajan has suffered a shoulder injury and a concussion already this season I think he deserves some slack on his offensive production... he had back to back seasons of 50+ points and is only 27... let him at least play out the 2nd year of his contract before throwing him under the bus... he's in a down year and still has some of the best numbers of any 3rd line center (and his numbers haven't really dropped off sicne being moved to the 3rd line, they have stayed fairly consistent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
For me personally, if Feaster could move Stajan for Huselius straight up, I think that is a move they should pull the trigger on. It will help this season because Backlund could slide into Stajan's role, and it will help us long term because Huselius' contract will be off the books at the end of next season. Regardless I am not sure that Columbus does that deal.
I addressed most of these points above... but I would rather have Stajan for the rest of his contract @ 3.5 million than Huselius for 4.75 for 1 year... especially considering our cap issues start getting better after next season

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
  #44
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
There's only 4 healthy NHL ready centermen in the whole Flames organization. You don't trade one of them for a winger.

Trade Stajan, then lose another center to injury and there goes the year.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM
  #45
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
There's only 4 healthy NHL ready centermen in the whole Flames organization. You don't trade one of them for a winger.

Trade Stajan, then lose another center to injury and there goes the year.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:04 AM
  #46
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,871
vCash: 500
No thanks.

I'd rather see the money spent on re-signing Tanguay and Glencross.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:11 AM
  #47
dmacin2*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
If Sutter was still GM, I would have no doubt this trade would most likely happen. Not sure if Feaster will bite. I would do Huselius for Stajan + Staois in a second.
Columbus wouldn't tho.
They have no need for Stajan look at their centers. No elite players but many 2nd 3rd liners. Also, Stajan has a much longer contract and is not living up to it.

Columbus does not need Staios. He is useless and doesn't get along with Moreau.

dmacin2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:19 AM
  #48
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
If Sutter was still GM, I would have no doubt this trade would most likely happen. Not sure if Feaster will bite. I would do Huselius for Stajan + Staois in a second.
you realize Sutter never even offered Huselius a contract when his last one with Calgary expired right?... this hating on Sutter because he's Sutter is stupid and needs to stop

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:43 AM
  #49
Signature
One brick at a time.
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,928
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
If Sutter was still GM, I would have no doubt this trade would most likely happen. Not sure if Feaster will bite. I would do Huselius for Stajan + Staois in a second.
Sutter has a history of bringing in back players he likes and had let go, but I don't think Huselius was one of them. This would still be a bad trade.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:59 AM
  #50
MrHelyar
Registered User
 
MrHelyar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CGY
Country: Canada
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Huselius is a great player with a lot of skill that he shows in the regular season, unfortunately that is only the regular season. We need players who can come to play in the post season and I had 3 or so years of realizing that he just isn't that type of player

MrHelyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.