HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Brad Richards

Old
02-10-2011, 08:21 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
I think people are totally wrong. You might have to overpay a bit but guys don't want to play in Toronto. The media pressure is insane. Four dailies, two TV sports networks that focus heavily on Leafs and are based in Toronto, tons of sports radio.
Ask Phil Kessel if he likes Toronto much these days. LOL.
Buffalo is a cakewalk in terms of media pressure. Who do you do deal with, Bucky Gleason and Paul Hamilton.
Guys of certain age, married with kids, don't mind Buffalo either.
But you gotta pay and prove you're building a winner.
Detroit keeps and signs guys and that city is a dump.
I'm not from Buffalo. I'm a Toronto sabres fan.
If he's available, Pegula will have to sign the check and you might to go very long-term, which is the big risk.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Brad Richards?

Thoughts on trading for Brad Richards? Could be the big guy Pegula wants to get to make a shake up, fixes the Center depth issue we have. Possibly not giving up Roy in the process?

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:15 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

This again.

We would all love him but Dallas isn't going to trade him. Why trade your best offensive weapon in a year where you are most likely going to make the playoffs?

Now if they were out of it then maybe. But I wouldn't trade for him without a guarantee of a new contract.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

never heard of the guy.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
This again.

We would all love him but Dallas isn't going to trade him. Why trade your best offensive weapon in a year where you are most likely going to make the playoffs?

Now if they were out of it then maybe. But I wouldn't trade for him without a guarantee of a new contract.
Dallas is 2-7-1 with the Kings on a heat ttreak in a tight Western Conference. They'll trade him for the right price.

Old
02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Dallas is 2-7-1 with the Kings on a heat ttreak in a tight Western Conference. They'll trade him for the right price.
Which is probably far beyond what the Sabres want to pay. Look for a Kovy-like return.

Old
02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Which is probably far beyond what the Sabres want to pay. Look for a Kovy-like return.
Pegula wants to shake things up, we know that. You don't think he's looking for a package like this to show Buffalo fans he's legitimate? Sure it could easily not happen, but you never know; it's something to ponder.

Old
02-20-2011, 12:58 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Pegula wants to shake things up, we know that. You don't think he's looking for a package like this to show Buffalo fans he's legitimate? Sure it could easily not happen, but you never know; it's something to ponder.
It is but you can say goodbye to our 1st, Ennis, and probably Someone on Brennan's level or higher in the prospect pool.

Like I said I'd love to have him, and would use that package in a heartbeat, but not unless we can re-sign him long term.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Pegula wants to shake things up, we know that.
Actually, no we don't.

The only one at this point who knows what Pegula wants is Pegula himself.

Reports have been all over the place about what's happening at the management level -- about the only universal report is that he wants Lindy to stay.

We have absolutely no idea what he wants to do with the roster, or what his vision is for this team.

As far as Richards goes --- it'd take at least our 2011 1st, Ennis.....probably Adam or Kassian.....and maybe a guy like Brennan, Schiestel or McNabb. High price for a rental with no guarantee of a re-sign.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:23 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Thoughts on trading for Brad Richards? Could be the big guy Pegula wants to get to make a shake up, fixes the Center depth issue we have. Possibly not giving up Roy in the process?
please enough with the same richards thread every other day. Dude can you just not scroll threw the threads....do you really have to post this again?

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:26 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
He has a billion dollars is that not enough to show he is legitimate? He wont fo anything for the sakes of "Showing you"

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
We do?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I'd rather have Neal from the Stars, as he would not be as expensive, younger and already signed.

IMO, Richards will hit UFA. He probably has 2 or 3 teams he's interested in. If he is on Pegula's radar, hopefully we have done enough by July 1st to show we are commited (ie things have change with the Sabres front office) and can at least get him to visit us.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:11 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
I'd rather have Neal from the Stars, as he would not be as expensive, younger and already signed.

IMO, Richards will hit UFA. He probably has 2 or 3 teams he's interested in. If he is on Pegula's radar, hopefully we have done enough by July 1st to show we are commited (ie things have change with the Sabres front office) and can at least get him to visit us.
He's got a concussion so his price went down as a rental. I'd love to see a bold move and grab him now and work hard the next three months to sign up. It would a 1st, Ennis and maybe a guy like Kassian but Darcy will never do something like this. You have to gamble to win big.
Watch out for Burke. He was willing to roll the dice on Kessel and has been torn to shreds ever since.
But the man will take the heat and I predict he moves on Richards before the deadline, if Dallas falls in standings and he's available. The concussion-reduced price makes for a bigger gamble but Burke loves to play poker.
Darcy? Not so much.

Old
02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
He's got a concussion so his price went down as a rental. I'd love to see a bold move and grab him now and work hard the next three months to sign up. It would a 1st, Ennis and maybe a guy like Kassian but Darcy will never do something like this. You have to gamble to win big.
Watch out for Burke. He was willing to roll the dice on Kessel and has been torn to shreds ever since.
But the man will take the heat and I predict he moves on Richards before the deadline, if Dallas falls in standings and he's available. The concussion-reduced price makes for a bigger gamble but Burke loves to play poker.
Darcy? Not so much.
And if they did that, and we still missed the playoffs or got bounced in the first round, and then Richards walks on July 1, you'll say what? At least they tried? Sorry, not good enough for me. I'm not willing to confuse effort with achievement, and, apparently, you are. If they're going to give up a lot of assets, they better be real confident they can re-sign him. I just don't see him re-signing in Buffalo before July 1. Playing three months for a mediocre team in a mediocre city--and that's being kind--isn't going to be the magic elixir.

If you like Burke so much, and you think it's a good idea to lose two top-5 picks and a 2nd rounder for the "privilege" to pay a one-dimensional 60-pt winger $5 million bucks, maybe you're better off being a Leafs fan.

It's time to move on from the Richards pipedream.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:19 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
And if they did that, and we still missed the playoffs or got bounced in the first round, and then Richards walks on July 1, you'll say what? At least they tried? Sorry, not good enough for me. I'm not willing to confuse effort with achievement, and, apparently, you are. If they're going to give up a lot of assets, they better be real confident they can re-sign him. I just don't see him re-signing in Buffalo before July 1. Playing three months for a mediocre team in a mediocre city--and that's being kind--isn't going to be the magic elixir.

If you like Burke so much, and you think it's a good idea to lose two top-5 picks and a 2nd rounder for the "privilege" to pay a one-dimensional 60-pt winger $5 million bucks, maybe you're better off being a Leafs fan.

It's time to move on from the Richards pipedream.
I'm not a huge Burke fan because I don't think he's that smart. I just like the gambling attitude. You can run your team to make the playoffs every year and go for the big prize. Sabres have always been middling. No cups and very few good 1st round picks.

Old
02-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I'm not a huge Burke fan because I don't think he's that smart. I just like the gambling attitude. You can run your team to make the playoffs every year and go for the big prize. Sabres have always been middling. No cups and very few good 1st round picks.
I think there's a difference between gambles and calculated risks. I think trading Ennis + Kassian + 2011 1st for Brad Richards, who is a rental, is a reckless gamble. Richards doesn't make this team a Cup contender. Plus, in order to compete for the Cup, you need to have some players on ELC's whose play exceeds their contract. I think throwing an 8yr/$60 mil deal at Richards, with $55 mil paid over the first six years, is a calculated risk worth taking. And you don't have to give up the large amount of assets in the process.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:58 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

The other thing about the Burke/Kessel deal was that he traded for a 21 year old RFA.

Richards is 30 and a UFA.

HUGE difference.

If this was 05-06, or 06-07, I'd say roll the dice but this year we do not have the team.....FACT

Why take that risk?

I'd like to see one serious player targeted this trade dealine, one that will be here for at least a few years. Drop a couple of our UFA's, get some picks and get us one top line player or dman to partner with Myers

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
@shanebutton @TSNBobMcKenzie. Richards and Neal are very close friends. I think Richards re-signing with Stars is a longshot.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
aceface33

Sooo...signing Richards as a UFA in the summer...not so much of a longshot now? Pegula seems he wants to make a splash and there's no better way of doing that then throwing boatloads of money at the top UFA on the market. I'm thinking of when Campbell signed with the Blackhawks here- a gross overpayment in order to make a statement that the team wants to compete and be a player for free agents. Plus, since money doesn't seem to be an option it also seems to open up the possibility the Sabres could do one of those crazy long deals with the thought that they could always do a buyout or stash the guy in the minors near the end. Thoughts?

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Sooo...signing Richards as a UFA in the summer...not so much of a longshot now? Pegula seems he wants to make a splash and there's no better way of doing that then throwing boatloads of money at the top UFA on the market. I'm thinking of when Campbell signed with the Blackhawks here- a gross overpayment in order to make a statement that the team wants to compete and be a player for free agents. Plus, since money doesn't seem to be an option it also seems to open up the possibility the Sabres could do one of those crazy long deals with the thought that they could always do a buyout or stash the guy in the minors near the end. Thoughts?
I'm not sure how to view it - based on Pegula's comments, one would think that no free agent is impossible to land, regardless of salary.

However, since he made it clear that Regier will be free to choose and decide on his own, someone like Richards that could seek $6-7M for 5-6 years may be interpreted by Regier as being a bad signing and thus never even pursued.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:33 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

From what I am hearing all day, at least a Brad Richards type guy will no longer say something like, "Ugh, why the hell would I want to go to Buffalo?"

To me, that's a big deal.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
From what I am hearing all day, at least a Brad Richards type guy will no longer say something like, "Ugh, why the hell would I want to go to Buffalo?"

Maybe - but Pegula isn't going to refurbish the downtown area or the drive from the airport to the arena that most NHL players build their impression of Buffalo on. And it may take 2-3 years of Pegula backing up his words to heal the bad rap the organization has around the NHLPA for treatment of past Sabres.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I can be patient so long as I see forward progress. And I'm not worried, because a dude like Pegula is all about forward progress.

Edit: Additionally, Pegula can't rebuild downtown, but there are many different ways that one could showcase WNY to a prospective FA. With the right $ thrown in the right direction, we can show someone just how great WNY can be. "Hockey Heaven" is a great concept, and has the right ring to it to win hearts and minds.

I know I know it's so hard to believe after being shat on for so long! Time for me to whip out a Mulder X-Files "I want to believe" type avatar...

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post

I think it's going to take time for the Sabres to change their rep amongst players throughout the league.

It's likely too late for a guy like Richards. But, the UFA class of 2012 and beyond.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote