HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

RDS (French TSN) - Gomez speculated to been discussed for Jovonovski

Old
02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I can't imagine Jovo waiving that NMC. If he did, perhaps we could trade him for Gomez and pick Souray up on reentries to fill the hole on D?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

We'll have an owner in 7 to 10 days that got the team for the deal of the century so the cap floor argument really isn't a factor.

We need a #1 center. There's nobody on the roster or anywhere near ready in the minors (unless you think Turris will eventually be a #1 but he's not there yet). Gomez might be having a down year and/or a down 3 or 4 but he's still better than anyone we have.

I think what someone brought up about his Mexican heritage is right on. He'd be an instant fan favorite.

Aslo, the media here is as soft as they come so the pressure the Canadian martket puts on Gomez would be gone. Would that help? Who knows.

The sticking point for this year is we might not get the ownership switched before the deadline meaning the money would have to be equal going back. I'm not sure on the NHL rules. Can Montreal send money with him to pay for part of his salary this season? So say we sent $4 mil worth of contracts back. Can they pay the other 3 or 4?

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
This rumor is flat out buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull. The coyotes are bankrupt for crying out loud. 7 million a year till 2014? Do people even think before they make up rumors?
Actually, Gomez salary is lots less than his cap hit over next 3 years.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Actually, Gomez salary is lots less than his cap hit over next 3 years.
17.5 over the next 3 years which is a little over 1 million less than his cap hit.

It would be a very dumb move for Phoenix to acquire. He is not even a 2nd line center anymore. They would be better off using Turris.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
17.5 over the next 3 years which is a little over 1 million less than his cap hit.

It would be a very dumb move for Phoenix to acquire. He is not even a 2nd line center anymore. They would be better off using Turris.
Where are you getting your numbers from.
Gomez cap hit for the next three season is 7.3 7.3 7.3 total 21.9
His actual salary over the same time period is 7.5 5.5 4.5 total 17.5
Thats a 4.5 mil less than his cap hit.Not the 1 mil your claiming.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:35 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
We'll have an owner in 7 to 10 days that got the team for the deal of the century so the cap floor argument really isn't a factor.

We need a #1 center. There's nobody on the roster or anywhere near ready in the minors (unless you think Turris will eventually be a #1 but he's not there yet). Gomez might be having a down year and/or a down 3 or 4 but he's still better than anyone we have.

I think what someone brought up about his Mexican heritage is right on. He'd be an instant fan favorite.

Aslo, the media here is as soft as they come so the pressure the Canadian martket puts on Gomez would be gone. Would that help? Who knows.

The sticking point for this year is we might not get the ownership switched before the deadline meaning the money would have to be equal going back. I'm not sure on the NHL rules. Can Montreal send money with him to pay for part of his salary this season? So say we sent $4 mil worth of contracts back. Can they pay the other 3 or 4?
No, you cannot trade money - that's something they are looking towards perhaps in the next CBA, but for right now it's not possible.

That being said, you have a good feel for the situation in Phoenix so it's nice to know that it doesn't sound that far fetched to a Coyotes fan.

I cannot tell you really which Gomez you would get, it's been a few years that the consistent Gomez played in the NHL, really pretty much since he was in Jersey. Maybe it's the pressure in environments like NY and Montreal, I don't know.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:40 PM
GE0

Phoenix trades pending UFA Ed Jovanovski for 3 years of Gomez at $17.5M?

Mother-loving LOL. The French media is hilarious bad, but this takes it to another level.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Gomez and MTL's 2011 1st to Phoenix for PHI's 2011 2nd.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 1076
No such thing on RDS, nice made up rumour.... Or you saw that on RDS "Grand club"?

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
No such thing on RDS, nice made up rumour.... Or you saw that on RDS "Grand club"?
its on RDS.

Go in the hockey section in the video zone

3rd page.

En coulisses: le nom de Gomez a circulé à Phoenix

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
An injured Jovo is still worth more than a functional Gomez.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:11 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:

I think his speed and two-way ability would really mesh with the style the Coyotes play.

Is he the perfect solution? No, but as for probably giving up nothing to get him, and the fact there are not many offensive UFA centremen this summer, it's a chance Phoenix might be willing to take.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
Thanks for being such a nice guy

Old
02-20-2011, 09:21 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
An injured Jovo is still worth more than a functional Gomez.
Yop.

Thats why im thnking the deal will look like this:

To Phoenix:
MTL 1rst 2011
Gomez

To Montreal
Jovanovski
A throw in centre pick up ( id say Belanger but... )

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
Yop.

To Phoenix:
MTL 1rst 2011
Gomez

To Montreal
Jovanovski
That would be ideal. Then we'd have 2 firsts to go after a star player.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
Yop.

To Phoenix:
MTL 1rst 2011
Gomez

To Montreal
Jovanovski
I'd prefer a 2nd, but meh.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshots View Post
Where are you getting your numbers from.
Gomez cap hit for the next three season is 7.3 7.3 7.3 total 21.9
His actual salary over the same time period is 7.5 5.5 4.5 total 17.5
Thats a 4.5 mil less than his cap hit.Not the 1 mil your claiming.
1.5 per year and I meant per year, not in total.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Kevin Malone

LOL at all the Habs fans explaining why the Coyotes do this deal.

Just because Gomez's cap hit is 21.5m and he only gets paid 17.5m does not mean it's a good deal. It's still the worst deal in hockey. Why on earth does Don Maloney even think about this.

Again...Phoenix is not a cap floor team. There cap right now is 2m less than the Leafs and they have young guys like Yandle/Bryzgalov/Upshall/Boedker that need to be resigned.

Just because you traded for Gomez does not mean there is another GM out there idiotic enough to take on the contract.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I'd prefer a 2nd, but meh.
As would I however if it meant ridding ourselves of Gomez. I could swallow losing a first for virtually nothing. This draft year is expected to have a significant drop off after the top five anyway.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
They don't have to pay him 20 million. They pay him something like 17.5 million, while eating up cap space to bring them to the floor. If they are planning to be a minimum salary team, a move like this actually saves the owner quite a bit of money.
No offense - but that's like saying that getting to eat a shyte sandwhich is a good deal because you have to get rid of the crap somehow. The whole "cap vs $" only makes sense for low end teams if the player justifies the cash they're paying him. The Coyotes paying him an average of $6.5M for a guy who produces at about half that rate is a BRUTAL deal for them.

If they're operating at the cap - they need to have good value/$ players, and that's not Gomez. I think they'll be VERY happy to have Jovo go get hurt on someone else roster freeing up about $6M of cap (aka - budget) space.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:49 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Malone View Post
LOL at all the Habs fans explaining why the Coyotes do this deal.

Just because Gomez's cap hit is 21.5m and he only gets paid 17.5m does not mean it's a good deal. It's still the worst deal in hockey. Why on earth does Don Maloney even think about this.

Again...Phoenix is not a cap floor team. There cap right now is 2m less than the Leafs and they have young guys like Yandle/Bryzgalov/Upshall/Boedker that need to be resigned.

Just because you traded for Gomez does not mean there is another GM out there idiotic enough to take on the contract.
Well, I'm pretty sure the deal was out there. The guy who reported on this is, like I said, a Habs beat reporter, and even he admitted that when he first heard the rumor he was very skeptical, but he did get confirmation.

Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but this guy is not a blogger, he is RDS' version of Darren Dreger - not correct 100% of the time, but still well informed.

I think people would be surprised about the market for Gomez, if there was a market when he had 5 years left on his contract, there surely is a market with 3 years left, and 2 of those years being significantly lower in value.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:49 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I found that link. Problem is I don't speak French. I did hear Scott Gomez, Jovanowski and Phoenix though!

Old
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
I think people would be surprised about the market for Gomez, if there was a market when he had 5 years left on his contract, there surely is a market with 3 years left, and 2 of those years being significantly lower in value.
Sather is the master of dealing his mistakes on other GM's.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Jovo has a NMC and he would not waive it to go to Montreal.
You really need to stop asking as if you know everything rt, remember the website I posted like a week ago, with this same information, that you said was BS...

Although, I agree with your offer for Gomez 100%!

Last edited by BeSeeingYouSeattle: 02-20-2011 at 10:04 PM.
BeSeeingYouSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I found that link. Problem is I don't speak French. I did hear Scott Gomez, Jovanowski and Phoenix though!
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/608456/posts/105058

-Depuis une semaine, des rumeurs ont commencé à circuler sur Scott Gomez. Si au départ j’étais sceptique, on me confirme que son nom a circulé dans le vestiaire des Coyotes dernièrement. Le Canadien aurait eu le défenseur Ed Jovanovski en retour. Ce dernier s’est toutefois fracturé un os de la joue et sera absent pour quatre semaines, ce qui fait en sorte que cette transaction est maintenant impossible.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote