HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the other GM's just hate dealing with Lombardi?

Old
02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Top 6 forwards are hard to come by.
He should have thought of that when he traded one away for a goon defenseman and chose not to tender another one a qualifying offer.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 03:47 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It's a sellers market, let's just say that hypothetically Tambellini tells him that it's Schenn or nothing for Hemsky and Lombardi doesn't want to move Schenn? Or that Kovalev commands a 1st + Forbort? etc. IMO he should get something done but this is a sellers market big time that being said it is also a bit frustrating as an Oilers fan because the market seems to be great for selling yet we haven't made a single move. Of course Tambellini can gamble since both Hemsky and Penner have another year on their deals, but I'd also like to see something done and Tambellini could be taking the best approach and waiting for desperation to set in forcing a GM to overpay by normal standards.
You can say it's a seller's market, but does Hemsky really fit into the Oilers' long range plans? If he does fine, hang onto him. If he doesn't the time is rapidly approaching when his value is going to drop.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 03:48 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
LOL, same **** every year, people get mad that he isn't doing anything and when he does something, it's "OMG, why did he do that trade . ." "Why did he trade Purcell" . . .

Same **** every year
...and it gets worse when said player finally scores a few goals.

Is Purcell going to be a better player than Loktionov, than Moller, than Schenn?

I think we all know the answer.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
well... there is nothing like a GM doesn't like to trade with Lombardi.
If Lombardi would offer something to improve other GM's team they would bite.

What we are looking for is a league wide weakness.
We have around 3-4 high scoring left wings.
I could be wrong but i don't see anyone else than Ovechkin, Semin, Nash and Kovalchuk...
This means the price is on an all time high for this position now when everyone has at least two #1 goalies.

The next thing is, would a high scoring winger make a big difference in our system.
I mean c'mon it's not that our wingers aren't able to push the puck into the netting form 5 inch away because of a deadly pass by the center.
A Nash or Ovechkind would face the same trouble to score from the sideboards pinned against by 2 opponents.

Right now i'm absolutely happy with making no trade.
Actually i would be happy with doing no trades as long as Lombardi is here.
The risk of pulling another Purcell is simply to high.
We have the prospects and the core to build our team from within.
The real problems to face is the coaching staff and the mentality of the GM.

We have to ask ourself, where do we wanna go and is what we are doing good enough to go there.
Everyone has to answer that for himself

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
...and it gets worse when said player finally scores a few goals.

Is Purcell going to be a better player than Loktionov, than Moller, than Schenn?

I think we all know the answer.
What kind of question is that.
Loktionov, Moller or Schenn aren't playing for the KIngs playoff chances.

The Question should be, is Purcell better than Sturm, King, Pony, Westgarth, Clifford

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a combination of 2 things: lack of sellers (only 5 teams more than 7 points out and one of those teams, New Jersey, has been on a huge streak) and Lombardi's value system. Specifically,

1. In terms of importance: goalies>defensemen>centers>wingers.
2. DL types (physical, consistent, two-way) always preferred.
3. As he said in the Cammalleri negotiations, a thirty goal scorer on a last place team is worth less than a 30 goal scorer on a playoff team.

So while the Kings need a scoring winger, you're not going to see Lombardi with a huge offer out for a winger on a last place team and with flaws (Penner - consistency; Hemsky - physical play and health - of course Lombardi doesn't really shy away from players with health issues) Of course, this is why he received essentially a first for Cammalleri (#17 overall but a little less since the #48 overall in 2008 was also given up with the Kings receiving the #51 in 2009) while the asking price for a guy like Hemsky is much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
He should have thought of that when he traded one away for a goon defenseman and chose not to tender another one a qualifying offer.
Moulson became a group VI UFA. A qualifying offer doesn't come into play with Moulson.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
king maker

i hope sturm has his legs, cause were being smoked by faster teams... I'm OK with a minor move if it adds speed.

king maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGB52 View Post
You guys want to know why Dean Lombardi never gets his man? It's because D.L has no balls!!! Someone had a fairly appropriate analogy of Dean, compairing him to a poker player that folds all night long. Waiting for that "can't lose hand" is safe, maybe even smart but "you can't win if your not in" and L.A will never be anything more than average with that mentality, not in todays NHL! He's got a a solid core and a ton of valuable prospects and he may be one or two players away from contending. Grow some balls and GO GET YOUR MAN!
go get your man.....at what cost? it's a seller's market and as some noted there is only a handful of top-end LW's in the game today. why make a trade when the team doesn't REALLY get the LW it needs and wants? why settle for another mid-tier winger and get bent over for him? then said player becomes LW #XX on the first line, only to not fit what the team needs.

this takes time to build and develop. DL, TL, Luc, Hex, etc......all of these guys at the top of the org have had to rebuild the franchise's mindset and goal. they have had to start from scratch and build the Kings internally. since '67 the franchise was always run as a buyer/seller. always willing to trade away young talent in exchange for the "proven big name NHL player". in that time it had one sniff at a Cup run. off the top of my head there were what, 5 players drafted by LA on that team? the remainder of the roster was made up from trades and free agents, but at what cost when you look at the young players traded away/lost draft picks. one cup run and within 2 years the team was already crashing and being dismantled.

that is no way to run a team for long term success. the head honchoes have had to completely retool the mindset, focus, approach on how this team will be run. let's pray the days of past are gone where aging players came to LA only for the fat retirement contract and not be accountable. the fact LA is being considered by players, coaches, fans and the media as a "good, young, contender" in only year 5 of DL's tenure is great. is it enough? no. the goal is the SC. not once, but multiple runs for it. that isn't going to happen overnight. PATIENCE!!!! you can't be patient, then think back to say 2005-2008.....how about returning to those days and rosters?

DL has pushed the team in five years to a point that it has tied or beat some team records. has DL and others made some bad personnel decisions? of course, it's difficult to determine how a 18-22 year old kid will develop. the easy ones are the first and second rounders for the most part. the third and later round picks are even more of a crap shoot.

DL needs to make a trade now!!!! then on the back side what? people ***** about him giving up Boyle, Purcell, Moulson, etc.....because "DL needed to make that deadline deal" because fans were yelling for results. well since '67 those deadline deals haven't done much for LA.

stomp your feet, hold your breath and yell all you want. LA i think is still 2-3 seasons away from the 'league elite' status where they will make the cup runs. the team has built from the goal line out as it should with depth. we are strong in net and D. the org now has to draft and develop the forwards needed. there must be a constant pipeline of talent coming from MAN to LA. without having this pipeline, your 'one and done' look at CHI this season. in the salary cap era a team needs to be able to supplement players lost to $$$, with equal talent but for less $$$. the depth is also necessary to fill injured players and remain in the playoff race. the West is ridiculous and in order to stay in the race teams have to have depth.

so be patient, stay the course; otherwise resort back to the tried and fail "trade and buy" days that have amounted to one SC run and zero Cups. if not then make another Purcell + 3rd for a Halpern......only to ***** about trading Purcell when he suddenly develops

Last edited by Whiskeypete: 02-20-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Top 6 forwards are hard to come by.
There are a ton of last season's at the Top Six Forward Outlet.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:15 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Tough to keep a guy when he never had any intention of playing in LA again once he became a FA.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
There are a ton of last season's at the Top Six Forward Outlet.
Yea but you have to drive to either Camarillo or the desert. You'll make up for the discount in gas either way.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Deadline is still a week away.

I think DL is not dealing from a position of strength. The assets we have to move are prospect defenseman, our pick, and maybe Simmonds.

I wouldn't mind trading Poni for anything because I doubt he gets resigned.
Sometimes picking up players at the deadline is scrounging like looking for girls at 1:59am before the bar closes.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
Sometimes picking up players at the deadline is scrounging like looking for girls at 1:59am before the bar closes.
lmao.....dead on accurate. don't forget the suitors usually have the beer goggles on. the same can be said for those yelling 'we need a trade'....drunk and dumb without thinking of the consequences afterwards

Old
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
lmao.....dead on accurate. don't forget the suitors usually have the beer goggles on. the same can be said for those yelling 'we need a trade'....drunk and dumb without thinking of the consequences afterwards
Exactly. Instead of working hard to impress the good looking girls early in the night you are paying an expensive bar tab for the few options that are left in the 11th hour...in this case, the pricey injury prone women.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
the org now has to draft and develop the forwards needed. there must be a constant pipeline of talent coming from MAN to LA. without having this pipeline, your 'one and done' look at CHI this season. in the salary cap era a team needs to be able to supplement players lost to $$$, with equal talent but for less $$$. the depth is also necessary to fill injured players and remain in the playoff race. the West is ridiculous and in order to stay in the race teams have to have depth.
Sorry, but I would take Chicago's "one and done" over almost every Kings season in their 44 year history. Who wouldn't?? So Chi is out of a playoff spot right now - they're a few pts out, and even if they miss the playoffs - so what? They still have a GREAT young offensive core to build around (and as they and Philly proved, you can pick up almost any young goalie that gets hot and ride him to the finals)

Philly finished dead last a few years ago - look at them now, they just played in the SCF and they're right back at the top of the East.

And there's no guarantee that Lombardi's plan will ever work. 4 years of DL = 6 playoff games. That may be as good as it gets (at least the silly claims "DL's rebuild is ahead of schedule" have died down - ha!) And remember that 29 other teams are also trying to build through the draft.

I'll never mock any Stanley Cup winning team for whatever happens to them after the fact - at least they won it!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:40 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Sorry, but I would take Chicago's "one and done" over almost every Kings season in their 44 year history. Who wouldn't?? So Chi is out of a playoff spot right now - they're a few pts out, and even if they miss the playoffs - so what? They still have a GREAT young offensive core to build around (and as they and Philly proved, you can pick up almost any young goalie that gets hot and ride him to the finals)

Philly finished dead last a few years ago - look at them now, they just played in the SCF and they're right back at the top of the East.

And there's no guarantee that Lombardi's plan will ever work. 4 years of DL = 6 playoff games. That may be as good as it gets (at least the silly claims "DL's rebuild is ahead of schedule" have died down - ha!) And remember that 29 other teams are also trying to build through the draft.

I'll never mock any Stanley Cup winning team for whatever happens to them after the fact - at least they won it!
I wouldn't.

Sorry b19 but were just gonna disagree on this one. I have waited long enough to where I don't want a one and done trip to the finals. I have waited so long in fact that I am willing to wait a little longer while we build the kind of team and systemic depth that will give us the ability to make it back to the promised land as many times as possible and we are really close enough to where I can't think of one good reason to gamble at this point.

One more draft and in addition this entire season and as much of next season as needed gives us Schenn, Loktionov, Moller and potentially Vey Toff Kozun to name a few and if one of these kids is ready and capable of living up to their potential then we are going to be right there.

Not to mention that if we were desperate to buy why wouldn't we wait until the offseason when Parise and Malkin can be added into the wish list?

I like the analogy of settling. Would you rather work hard/study and try to build a fortune or work at Best Buy as a salesman because you were willing to settle for what you had?

Would you rather try and find the love of your life or marry the first person who slept with you?

I know that they are imperfect and that there is nothing wrong at all with working at Best Buy (as an example, I have no idea if it is a good or bad place to work) or marrying someone who gives you what you need instead of all that you desire if that is your thing.

To me its a matter of what drives us. I actually have believed that we as a franchise were destined to never be allowed to win the cup and while it was depressing I was willing to accept it as possible but believe that I was wrong.

That a decade before 99 came to town and since then I have seen us close enough to where I now believe that we have a shot at winning the cup. A real shot. But that shot is as precious as winning the cup in that it is for us such a rare thing that you have to guard it with all that you have.

I for one would be a vocal opponent of any move that would take us away from finally doing the right thing and what it takes to actually win the cup. More than once like the rest of the pack but as one of the legitimate year in and year out contenders in the game.

ANY deals that would take away from what we are building for a quick fix are a mistake unless we are bringing *exactly* what we need and the cost is something that doesn't take us away from what we are trying to build.

In other words trading Schenn for Stasny as an example would be a mistake on my part, possibly a big one in that Schenn is very possibly going to be much more of a valuable player than Stasny in a very short time.

I dunno, enough of a rant I guess and I totally understand your frustration and desperate desire to at least win the cup once, I just disagree with it because I think we are close enough to building something much more than an 1 and done team.

Lets leave that line of thinking for the Ducks.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:54 AM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have waited long enough to where I don't want a one and done trip to the finals.
Chicago and the Ducks are all prime examples of how the "new NHL" works as far as cup winners. Every team is a potential "one and done" team now due to salary cap issues. If the Kings manage to pull off a cup in the next 5 years, do you really think they can build an empire that Detroit (who built their reputation prior to the lock out mind you) has? This is a different era.

You're not going to have one team win the cup 3 times in 5 years.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:10 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Chicago and the Ducks are all prime examples of how the "new NHL" works as far as cup winners. Every team is a potential "one and done" team now due to salary cap issues. If the Kings manage to pull off a cup in the next 5 years, do you really think they can build an empire that Detroit (who built their reputation prior to the lock out mind you) has? This is a different era.

Det and Pitts each went to back2back cups, each are top5 teams right now, Philly is a cup favorite (again), Vancouver is built well...Chicago is the exception, not the rule...you need to build a team right to have multiple shots at a cup.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
I wouldn't.

Sorry b19 but were just gonna disagree on this one. I have waited long enough to where I don't want a one and done trip to the finals. I have waited so long in fact that I am willing to wait a little longer while we build the kind of team and systemic depth that will give us the ability to make it back to the promised land as many times as possible and we are really close enough to where I can't think of one good reason to gamble at this point.

One more draft and in addition this entire season and as much of next season as needed gives us Schenn, Loktionov, Moller and potentially Vey Toff Kozun to name a few and if one of these kids is ready and capable of living up to their potential then we are going to be right there.

Not to mention that if we were desperate to buy why wouldn't we wait until the offseason when Parise and Malkin can be added into the wish list?

I like the analogy of settling. Would you rather work hard/study and try to build a fortune or work at Best Buy as a salesman because you were willing to settle for what you had?

Would you rather try and find the love of your life or marry the first person who slept with you?

I know that they are imperfect and that there is nothing wrong at all with working at Best Buy (as an example, I have no idea if it is a good or bad place to work) or marrying someone who gives you what you need instead of all that you desire if that is your thing.

To me its a matter of what drives us. I actually have believed that we as a franchise were destined to never be allowed to win the cup and while it was depressing I was willing to accept it as possible but believe that I was wrong.

That a decade before 99 came to town and since then I have seen us close enough to where I now believe that we have a shot at winning the cup. A real shot. But that shot is as precious as winning the cup in that it is for us such a rare thing that you have to guard it with all that you have.

I for one would be a vocal opponent of any move that would take us away from finally doing the right thing and what it takes to actually win the cup. More than once like the rest of the pack but as one of the legitimate year in and year out contenders in the game.

ANY deals that would take away from what we are building for a quick fix are a mistake unless we are bringing *exactly* what we need and the cost is something that doesn't take us away from what we are trying to build.

In other words trading Schenn for Stasny as an example would be a mistake on my part, possibly a big one in that Schenn is very possibly going to be much more of a valuable player than Stasny in a very short time.

I dunno, enough of a rant I guess and I totally understand your frustration and desperate desire to at least win the cup once, I just disagree with it because I think we are close enough to building something much more than an 1 and done team.

Lets leave that line of thinking for the Ducks.
What are you smoking pal?
First of all, we will never make it back to the promised land as we have never been there to begin with and Dean Lombardi has never gambled in his life so why would you expect him to now?
What are we building? How long has DL had to gain a winger to play with Kopi? ??????? Dustin Brown?
Do you realize that Paul Stastny is a ppg player? I will give you 50 bucks in 5 years time if he averages what stastny has done. He will not come close to this... and if colorado did this trade they would be morons... DL would do this trade in a heartbeat.... think before writing man... seriously. Schenn is perhaps the most overrated player in the past 5 years... there's a reason why he isn't in the NHL this year!

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Det and Pitts each went to back2back cups, each are top5 teams right now, Philly is a cup favorite (again), Vancouver is built well...Chicago is the exception, not the rule...you need to build a team right to have multiple shots at a cup.
As an outsider my view of Lombardi has always been he is too conservative and unwilling to gamble

I would compare him to what we had in early 90's with Hawks

THose teams had good goaltending , Strong team and blueline defense but outside of Roenick and Larmer the offense just was't there to compete with elite teams

Some of the moves made really never addressed the needs for offense

Thomas for Sutter (Brent) deal = We gave up offense for grit/D/leadership
Bringing in guys like Goulet and other decling vets = Solid vets but at that stage not he offensive threats they once were

Hawks had assets to make a splash those years but never did always settling for vet leadership and defense 1st guys

In 90 we didn't have offense to overpower last Oiler cup team after taking 2-1 series lead in Conf finals (Lost games 4 and 5 with weak offensive efforts and then fell apart in game 6)

In 91 when we won Presidents our team was 1 line team and got knocked out in 1st round. Offense was shut down in final 3 games (After taking 2-1 series lead) and we lost 2 low scoring games and got blown out 6-0 in game 5 after we tried to be team we couldn't (Run and gun was not Hawks sytle and we didn't have talent to do it ,, North Stars feasted on Hawks that game with many odd man rushes , etc)

In 92 we finally get to the finals ,,,, Lose in 4 games to one of the most stacked teams in NHL history losing 3 games by a goal and 1 game by 2 goals

It wasn't until 93/94 that we started bringing in the guys those early 90 teams needed in Murphy , Amonte , Suter , Nicholls but by that time our window was closing as other teams were getting better (Wings , Avs would move to West as they became power , Stars were putting pieces together)

-Hawks got to WCF in 95 (Losing 4 games to 1 to Wings with 3 games going to OT)
-In 96 we got to 2nd round (Losing in 6 games to eventual champion Avs including 2 OT's losses)

Roenick was traded after 96 , Belfour was gone during 97 , Murphy , Suter , etc were gone and Hawks crashed and took a decade to recover

Lombardi is far to conservative with his assets ,, Your prospect pool is deep and you can afford to take a risk or two and not put your future in jeopardy

Early 00's Sens , 90's Hawks , 80's Flyers all teams that were far too conservative and in my opinion the conservative approach cost all 3 teams cups. (Flyers and Hawks never addressed scoring issues and well the Sens were a goalie away as Lalime put up nice stats but he was not an elite goalie they needed and his soft goals killed them in playoffs)

Big moves were needed and worth risk to those clubs because they just couldn't overcome the obstacles in there way with what they had

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:04 AM
northernKing

Anyone who thinks CHIC is a one and done team is sadly mistaken. Sure they have struggled this season but their core players are among the elite in the NHL. They will likely have to move Bolland in the off season to make cap space to sign Seabrook and Brouwer to long term deals but they have quite a few youngsters ready to make the jump to the NHL. Also they have additional picks in this years draft that will come in handy as they are from teams like TOR,ATL and CGY that could all miss the playoffs.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:08 AM
northernKing

Quote:
No, I don't think it is that he doesn't have to make a move because that could be said for most situations when talking about deadline time. His strength is that he has one or two moveable developed NHL assets and one of the most coveted D pools in the game. Most teams would give up an awful lot to nab even one or two of our kid D. We are also dealing from a position of strength in regards to several other prospects but our D is overloaded.

The problem is that we are after what most teams covet as well, a skilled proven top 3 forward. They are simply hard to come by and typically hung onto above most everything else.

Before you give up the farm to bring back a player you just have to make certain that you are getting exactly what you need in return and that you aren't dealing away a player or players that could in a season be giving you the same amount of production or more than what you acquired.

DL can pull the trigger and get us the player that we need, we have the assets to get almost anyone in the game but trying to do it now when players like Parise and Malkin are out injured and Nash has his team in playoff contention (driving his price through the roof) just doesn't make sense.

There are other options out there but I would rather we go target exactlu what we need rather than scramble and settle just to try and make a single run, we are too close to being able to do it on our own.

Next season we add Schenn, Toffoli (potentially) Moller Vey and Kozun into the mix up front along with a few others and I see at two of them making the team. Schenn could easily have a 40 point rookie season and Moller could come close to the same. Who knows what Parse will bring but he certainly has proven that he can provide scoring and we all know that Loktionov is ready to come in and has proven that he can contribute.

We are too close on our own to make a deal for yet another close player, we need to get exactly what we are missing or wait until the offseason when the market opens back up and we have several better options.
I will be shocked if Toffoli,Vey or Kozun play in LA next season and Moller will probably not be a regular either IMO. Schenn should play and put up decent numbers 15G-25A-40PTS.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:31 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Anyone who thinks CHIC is a one and done team is sadly mistaken. Sure they have struggled this season but their core players are among the elite in the NHL. They will likely have to move Bolland in the off season to make cap space to sign Seabrook and Brouwer to long term deals but they have quite a few youngsters ready to make the jump to the NHL. Also they have additional picks in this years draft that will come in handy as they are from teams like TOR,ATL and CGY that could all miss the playoffs.
Your missing the point. That team that went for the cup was a one and done...this year is obviously a down year, next year who knows but I doubt the can be favorites. So if its one shot at the cup then 2 years to retool that is one and done. Had Chi been able to keep Ladd and one of Buff/Steg and a defensemen then they most likely would still be a top team. But they lost 3 times the players most teams do after winning a cup and that was due to some inflated contracts that they gave out before the cup run.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
having to trade away Bolland or any other established roster players will continue the decline of their roster. take away the usual Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp and the overall skill level isn't the same as last season. Bolland has given them consistent effort and numbers, now take away yet another good supporting player and the depth gets even worse. CHI doesn't have the depth it had last season and can't afford to lose any more of it's L2 - L4 depth.

they are 2 pts out of the race now, but have 2 less wins than those above them (first tiebreaker). they have two if not three games they need to make up to get back into contention. if they don't make the playoffs this season....it's definitely one and done.

i live in CHI and the 'real' (forget about the majority of band wagon fans) Hawks fans are gripping because they know where and how this team is falling apart. they understand the salary cap issues that began this and they understand they didn't have the depth in the minors to replace the lost talent.

Quote:

personally i don't see any difference between what ANH or CHI did that is different than what teams have done for decades. they made some moves during the season and up to the deadline to supplement their roster. the majority of teams follow this format whether they are buyers or sellers.

the exception to the rule that few follow is going into the playoffs with a roster of mostly home grown players. DET is the most visible team to follow this route. they add a few FA's here and there. they make a big trade by the deadline sometimes. for the most part they continue to succeed with the same guys they drafted and developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Your missing the point. That team that went for the cup was a one and done...this year is obviously a down year, next year who knows but I doubt the can be favorites. So if its one shot at the cup then 2 years to retool that is one and done. Had Chi been able to keep Ladd and one of Buff/Steg and a defensemen then they most likely would still be a top team. But they lost 3 times the players most teams do after winning a cup and that was due to some inflated contracts that they gave out before the cup run.
as much credit as Dale Tallon has been given since CHI won the SC, I find it interesting that I haven't heard much criticism when it comes to the after effect. yes he built a great team. yes he assessed, drafted and developed some great young talent. yes he got the big FA in Hossa. yes he filled out the roster with talented and competent players. BUT what he built and how quickly it had to be torn down due to cap issues should also be criticized. the same way Feaster got roasted in TB after they won and had to rip the team apart. which by the way is finally competing again at that level. for TB that was 2004 and 6 seasons later they are getting back to the elite level.....that is 'one and done'.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:48 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
What are you smoking pal?
First of all, we will never make it back to the promised land as we have never been there to begin with and Dean Lombardi has never gambled in his life so why would you expect him to now?
What are we building? How long has DL had to gain a winger to play with Kopi? ??????? Dustin Brown?
Do you realize that Paul Stastny is a ppg player? I will give you 50 bucks in 5 years time if he averages what stastny has done. He will not come close to this... and if colorado did this trade they would be morons... DL would do this trade in a heartbeat.... think before writing man... seriously. Schenn is perhaps the most overrated player in the past 5 years... there's a reason why he isn't in the NHL this year!
Start off with an insult?

No thanks.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote