HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gabby with concussion

Old
02-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
****. great, well looks like were makin some trades

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:53 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
might be why he's been playing so poorly for so long?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Mjollnir9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
might be why he's been playing so poorly for so long?
I have been saying this for months. He has not looked right at all.

Mjollnir9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:00 AM
chosen

Put up the official sign: This ranks among the worst FA signings of Sather's illustrious use of free agency.

By the way, I felt that way since the acquisition was made.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

I bet you he got it in the beginning of the season, and he hasn't said any thing until now. That's why hes been so invisible......

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Put up the official sign: This ranks among the worst FA signings of Sather's illustrious use of free agency.

Wow. What?

Redden. Drury. Brashear. Gomez. Boogaard. Higgins. KOTALIK.

The guy had 40+ goals last year. What are you talking about?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Wow. What?

That's some ugly list but delete Higgins (acquired in Gomez trade) and add Voros.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Wow. What?

Dont you know there is no logic allowed in a time of panic?!

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Mjollnir9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post

I too was very leery of this signing, and was pleasantly surprised to see how it turned out last year. The big issue is and always has been: How long can he stay healthy?
He has proven that this concern is not unfounded, and here we are with a 7 million dollar glass man.
To make matters worse, this team is actually playing the way Torts wants, hard, dump and chase, forechecking blue-collar hockey. Maid Marian has never been able to play this style, as he is a glass man. Last year, the team only half bought into Torts system, and let the Maiden dangle, cherry-pick and play how he wanted. Rushes up the ice, quick shots... Now that we are playing more of a cycle, forecheck game, he is very out of place, and his feeble body cannot handle the rigors.
This will go down as an unsuccessful signing, and I have my doubts that the Maiden will ever really produce like he did last year again. He is just not strong enough to build around, and not good enough to keep around.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
chosen

Quote:
Wow. What?

Brashear, Boogaard, Higgins, and Kotalik were not paid like franchise players and were not coming off careers littered with injuries.

You left out Holik.

Neither was Redden, even though he was vastly overpaid. When your biggest investment is spent on a player who loves getting hurt, in a capped-salary situation, you are asking for trouble. So far, that is what Sather has gotten.

In 10 seasons in the NHL, Gaborik has produced at expected production a grand total of twice. That is incredibly poor return for what he should be bringing.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
****. great, well looks like were makin some trades
Make some trades? And give up what?

02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Wow. What?

I don't really care how you want to rank them, but the biggest issue with the Gaborik signing was it was just more of the same from Sather.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Of course, I've been saying this for about 10 years so, what does that say about me!

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

As expected, Marian Gaborik (concussion) was not on the Rangers team charter as it left for Carolina today. However, the Rangers said they had no updates on Gaborik’s status and no clarifications as to when he may have actually suffered the concussion.

Coach John Tortorella said at first after Sunday’s 4-2 loss to the Flyers that it did not happen in that game, before softening his comments to not being sure when the concussion occurred.
---------------------------------

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Wow. What?

Still trade bait. He has one great year followed by a poor one. He's not even a modern day Mike Gartner and we traded him for a has been, (practically nothing) "once upon a time big game hunter," rent a player in Glenn Anderson.
We sent one of the best American born snipers to Chicago for two "tough" rental players because we needed size in the lineup come playoff time.
Gabby certainly can be had! He's made of paper mache and can't take the rigors of an 82 game NHL schedule. It will catch up too him sooner than later. I'm not on board with a guy who can only live up to half of his contract. If he proves me wrong I'll say I ate crow but I doubt he will.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Make some trades? And give up what?
the entire Torts kinda guy retread pack and a tanning booth (for Prospal )for a 4th rounder and a shooter tutor

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't really care how you want to rank them, but the biggest issue with the Gaborik signing was it was just more of the same from Sather.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Of course, I've been saying this for about 10 years so, what does that say about me!
Nothing really. Maybe it says "you're hopeful people will finally get it."

Or you could be insane! jk

Old
02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Still trade bait. He has one great year followed by a poor one. He's not even a modern day Mike Gartner and we traded him for a has been, (practically nothing) "once upon a time big game hunter," rent a player in Glenn Anderson.
We sent one of the best American born snipers to Chicago for two "tough" rental players because we needed size in the lineup come playoff time.
Gabby certainly can be had! He's made of paper mache and can't take the rigors of an 82 game NHL schedule. It will catch up too him sooner than later. I'm not on board with a guy who can only live up to half of his contract. If he proves me wrong I'll say I ate crow but I doubt he will.
there is a kid playing marion gaboriks game right now called Mike Grabner . Put the Isles in some meaningful games and i predict he comes back to earth . Gaborik was a bad move and trading him for anything of value and undoing that contract asap is only going t help this club. If he goes out next yr helathy and scores 40 for another team ,great ,he still is not a center piece player but a piece player . He makes eliteplayer money but is not a player to build around .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
gravytrain6t

Thing is, I like Gaborik. He's one of the most skilled players I've ever seen (and I've watched Lemieux and Gretzky). But if you can't stay healthy or even worse, (possibly) withhold info about an injury you've sustained, the organization has to move on. Even if Minnesota didn't want to let Gabby go. I'd sure as hell take Havlat right now over Gaborik.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir9 View Post
I too was very leery of this signing, and was pleasantly surprised to see how it turned out last year. The big issue is and always has been: How long can he stay healthy?
He has proven that this concern is not unfounded, and here we are with a 7 million dollar glass man.
To make matters worse, this team is actually playing the way Torts wants, hard, dump and chase, forechecking blue-collar hockey. Maid Marian has never been able to play this style, as he is a glass man. Last year, the team only half bought into Torts system, and let the Maiden dangle, cherry-pick and play how he wanted. Rushes up the ice, quick shots... Now that we are playing more of a cycle, forecheck game, he is very out of place, and his feeble body cannot handle the rigors.
This will go down as an unsuccessful signing, and I have my doubts that the Maiden will ever really produce like he did last year again. He is just not strong enough to build around, and not good enough to keep around.
This is pure insanity. He produced like he produced last year his whole career except this year - 561 points in 625 games. He scored over a point per game for five years in a row before this year. He was hurt for good portions of those years and his injury history is a very real concern but to say that he isn't a great scorer or can't play this or that style is absolutely unfounded.

Do you honestly think if Torts' system was the difference between the team's most talented player being a game breaking monster and a slightly above average player that he wouldn't tweak the system in order to get the most out of that guy? He's not an idiot and neither is Gabby. If he couldn't succeed with this style of play one or both of them would realize this and tweak the way that he or his line plays in order to get the most out of him. We all saw last year and everyone in Minn saw for the past 8 years that when he is in the game he is often the best player on the ice by a lot. But, of course, anonymous internet posters are infinitely smarter than the most winning American born coach of all time and a player that is nearly a PPG over a 600+ game NHL career.

"He's just no good enough to keep around" is a silly knee-jerk statement. Gaborik has been one of the best scorers in the league since he entered it. He's had a down year so far possibly because of a brain injury.

How quickly we forget. This guy WAS the Rangers last year and for almost a decade before that he carried the Wild more or less single handedly. The fact that people here are willing to **** on the guy over the fact that he got a head injury that many, many players in the league have suffered recently is legitimately embarrassing. He didn't trip over a crack in the ice and break his hip or something. This isn't a sign of being a glass man - it's a occupational hazard when you play a fast, violent game on ice for a living.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
shoothepuck

concussion or not the guy has played without a true #1 center, and there is no reason for Torts to stick him out there on penalty kill duty or the last minute of the period.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I bet you he got it in the beginning of the season, and he hasn't said any thing until now. That's why hes been so invisible......
Just think if that's true. The Rangers might only be 5 or 6 points out of a playoff spot by the time a fully healed Gaborik comes back during the second half of the season. The team would be in a much better situation than it is now. Heck even 10 pts behind such as the Devils situation. At least their getting points and It's not exactly like the Rangers, Thrashers, Sabres or Canes are running away with the 7th and 8th seeds.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Guys, he wouldn't be able to play with a concussion for that long. Why do you think guys who know they have concussions don't and can't play?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Mjollnir9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
This is pure insanity. He produced like he produced last year his whole career except this year - 561 points in 625 games. He scored over a point per game for five years in a row before this year. He was hurt for good portions of those years and his injury history is a very real concern but to say that he isn't a great scorer or can't play this or that style is absolutely unfounded.

Do you honestly think if Torts' system was the difference between the team's most talented player being a game breaking monster and a slightly above average player that he wouldn't tweak the system in order to get the most out of that guy? He's not an idiot and neither is Gabby. If he couldn't succeed with this style of play one or both of them would realize this and tweak the way that he or his line plays in order to get the most out of him. We all saw last year and everyone in Minn saw for the past 8 years that when he is in the game he is often the best player on the ice by a lot. But, of course, anonymous internet posters are infinitely smarter than the most winning American born coach of all time and a player that is nearly a PPG over a 600+ game NHL career.

"He's just no good enough to keep around" is a silly knee-jerk statement. Gaborik has been one of the best scorers in the league since he entered it. He's had a down year so far possibly because of a brain injury.

How quickly we forget. This guy WAS the Rangers last year and for almost a decade before that he carried the Wild more or less single handedly. The fact that people here are willing to **** on the guy over the fact that he got a head injury that many, many players in the league have suffered recently is legitimately embarrassing. He didn't trip over a crack in the ice and break his hip or something. This isn't a sign of being a glass man - it's a occupational hazard when you play a fast, violent game on ice for a living.
I never said he is not a great scorer. He is, when healthy. WHEN HEALTHY. That is the problem, he cannot stay healthy. In the past, he has had problems with the groin and hip, and seemed to overcome them. Now he has sustained a shoulder separation and a concussion in the same season... That, to me , is not good for the long term. There is no arguing that when he is Healthy and on his game, he is an elite talent. Problem is, there is no guarantee he ever really reverts back to form, especially after the shoulder injury, and now concussion problems. Jagr was never the same after a very similar injury to his shoulder(although i would take Jagr today still).
I personally do think that the way this team has played and the identity it has assumed, as a tough hardworking team does not suit Gaborik, and the way the roster is built dictates the style of play at this point. Torts Has tweaked about everything he possibly can to accommodate Gaborik, short of calling Pavol Demitra! No amount of line-tweaking and adjustments are going to work when the guy they are made for, is not in the lineup. We need some consistent scoring in our top lines, not question marks and lollipops.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:12 PM
gravytrain6t

There could have been an underlying injury there where he had symptoms and was just one hit away. We're talking about the most sensitive and mysterious of all organs.
If you never watched hockey before but just started too when Lindros or Lafontaine was playing you wouldn't think either player was vulnerable. Some guys are more prone to concussions but they ignore the symptoms. He could have sustained a mild one in the beginning of the season and had some off and on symptoms but never reported anything.
After he played in the Olympics last season, he never looked the same too me.

If you think about it, how many cns disorders are preventable? Some are treatable and probably none can be cured.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 02-21-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old
02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
The Sweetness

Wow, people can turn so quickly. If you evaluate his production over the past two years I'm happy with this signing. Look at his production with the centers and linemates he has had. It is quite impressive. I'd like to see what Gaborik could do with a legitimate first-line center.

Sure if you look at his production this year alone then he has underperformed, but the same can be said with any player who has a down year. Any player can slump and it is pretty unfair to not take into account his brilliant year last year where he carried the team for stretches and created offense by himself.

Also, no need to trade him now when his value is low. This team still needs goals anyways.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote