HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New York Islanders - Toronto Maple Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2011, 12:21 AM
  #1
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,911
vCash: 500
New York Islanders - Toronto Maple Leafs

Mike Komisarek; 4.5M through 2013/14

for

Mark Eaton; 2.5M through 2011/12
Trent Hunter; 2M through 2012/13

Komisarek is a wasting away in Toronto, it's time Burke sent this mistake packing. He has a NTC but needs to provide 8 teams he would approve a trade to. Komisarek is a good locker-room guy to have and he's from the Long Island area. Toronto could add a late pick if need be..

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:41 AM
  #2
duckdynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Mike Komisarek; 4.5M through 2013/14

for

Mark Eaton; 2.5M through 2011/12
Trent Hunter; 2M through 2012/13

Komisarek is a wasting away in Toronto, it's time Burke sent this mistake packing. He has a NTC but needs to provide 8 teams he would approve a trade to. Komisarek is a good locker-room guy to have and he's from the Long Island area. Toronto could add a late pick if need be..
Done. Anything to get rid of Komisarek. Like the guy, but he hasn't panned out in TO and at 4.5 would love to move that contract.

duckdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:49 AM
  #3
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,274
vCash: 500
I am not sure how much better or worse Komi is then Eaton, but I much rather keep Eaton and his 2M less a season paycheck.

The Islanders basically need to go out this summer and overpay some UFA defenseman who is a level ahead of both guys

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:51 AM
  #4
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,373
vCash: 80
Don't see the Isles wanting any part of this deal. Eaton's signed for one more season (after this current one), which means his contract will be up around the time that someone like de Haan will be NHL-ready. In the meantime, he's a relatively cheap stop-gap until that happens. Eaton's a dependable veteran who can probably even be brought back for cheap, if their youngsters aren't ready by the time his deal expires.

If they trade for Komisarek, then not only will he be taking de Haan's spot in a couple of years, the Isles will be paying a $4.5 million player to play anywhere from #4 to 6 on their depth chart. I don't see Komisarek playing ahead of Streit, MacDonald or Hamonic (and that's assuming they don't sign a legitimate #2 FA in the summer), so that'd be kind of a waste of money playing 18 minutes or less per night.

Hunter's not really an issue. His salary's a bit high for what he brings now, but the Isles aren't exactly close to the cap, so paying him $2 million per year, even if he's playing 3rd or 4th line, doesn't really handcuff them.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:55 AM
  #5
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton10 View Post
Done. Anything to get rid of Komisarek. Like the guy, but he hasn't panned out in TO and at 4.5 would love to move that contract.
He's coming around well, though. Had a pretty nice game against Ottawa.

He needs to show more consistency, but I don't mind keeping him here and see what he does in a season where he's healthy throughout.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:56 AM
  #6
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,113
vCash: 500
Relatively sensible trade.... Isles get an underperforming defenceman that is capable of being much better than Eaton ever can/could be, a hometown guy (helps sell tickets), and a defenceman that would be a very good fit playing alongside Mark Streit for the forseeable future, and actually give the Isles a decent top pair.

It's much better to take on a guy like Komisarek (where his average cap salary over the next 3 years is only $4.1m), versus having to overpay a UFA to sign in New York.

Toronto gets a defenceman with only 1 year left (the amount of time that one of Blacker/Gardiner should need in the AHL) who they don't have to worry about destroying more value by making him a healthy scratch if a young guy performs. Plus, they get a useful 3rd line winger.

Obviously that creates a bit of a logjam on the wing (specifically on the right side), but a logjam with an excess $2m player is problably better than a logjam with an excess $4.5m player.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:57 AM
  #7
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Mike Komisarek; 4.5M through 2013/14

for

Mark Eaton; 2.5M through 2011/12
Trent Hunter; 2M through 2012/13

Komisarek is a wasting away in Toronto, it's time Burke sent this mistake packing. He has a NTC but needs to provide 8 teams he would approve a trade to. Komisarek is a good locker-room guy to have and he's from the Long Island area. Toronto could add a late pick if need be..
why would the isles do this?

Komisarek is an Albatross to his current team and yet you want us to take on more salary for a longer term. Where is the Incentive for us to take him?

Id figure a 1st would need to be included at least

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:57 AM
  #8
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Works for the Isles imo.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:04 AM
  #9
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
Works for the Isles imo.
How pray tell?

he is not at all the type of defenseman we need, he is neither mobile nor of the Shutdown variety and needs to be paired with an excellent puckmover to keep from being exposed. that would mean playing him With Streit which then keeps Streit from mentoring others.

This in no way helps the Isles and in fact severely limits our options

I would think you arent very much in the closet about being a Ranger fan if you truly think this is a good move for the Isles

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:10 AM
  #10
duckdynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
He's coming around well, though. Had a pretty nice game against Ottawa.

He needs to show more consistency, but I don't mind keeping him here and see what he does in a season where he's healthy throughout.
I agree. His last season in Montreal saw him play his best hockey. Got an invite to US olympic camp and was solid all year long until that shoulder injury. If he can get back to that form i wouldn't mind keeping him around either.

duckdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:10 AM
  #11
Leafmon1
Registered User
 
Leafmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massena, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Mike Komisarek; 4.5M through 2013/14

for

Mark Eaton; 2.5M through 2011/12
Trent Hunter; 2M through 2012/13

Komisarek is a wasting away in Toronto, it's time Burke sent this mistake packing. He has a NTC but needs to provide 8 teams he would approve a trade to. Komisarek is a good locker-room guy to have and he's from the Long Island area. Toronto could add a late pick if need be..
Not getting this. Komi is far from expectations as of yet, but on a blueline already pretty full of prospects why would we take on NYI players?

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:12 AM
  #12
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
How pray tell?

he is not at all the type of defenseman we need, he is neither mobile nor of the Shutdown variety and needs to be paired with an excellent puckmover to keep from being exposed. that would mean playing him With Streit which then keeps Streit from mentoring others.

This in no way helps the Isles and in fact severely limits our options

I would think you arent very much in the closet about being a Ranger fan if you truly think this is a good move for the Isles
Komisarek is basically the definition of a shutdown dman. Lots of hits & blocked shots, very few points. He needs to play with an excellent puckmover, OR on a team with some sort of system that isn't all-offence all-the-time. Playing with Streit would take him away from developing younger guys, but it would also be a significant improvement to the team. At some point, the Isles do have to start trying to win hockey games.

The other option would be to split up the vets, and play Komisarek with Hamonic (giving him tons of puckmoving freedom), leaving Streit to play with a young guy like MacDonald. Martinek walks as a UFA in the offseason, and Jurcina plays with another young guy.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:14 AM
  #13
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmon1 View Post
Not getting this. Komi is far from expectations as of yet, but on a blueline already pretty full of prospects why would we take on NYI players?
dont worry you'll have the pleasure of Komisarek clogging up your blue line for 3 more years,

nobody is dumb enough to take Mike

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:16 AM
  #14
Leafmon1
Registered User
 
Leafmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massena, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
dont worry you'll have the pleasure of Komisarek clogging up your blue line for 3 more years,

nobody is dumb enough to take Mike
Or Blake and Toskala.

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:21 AM
  #15
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,808
vCash: 500
Hasn't Komisarek been horrible in Toronto? In that case the Leafs will have to add to him because Eaton did well on LI before his injury.

i can see Komi for Hunter though

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:22 AM
  #16
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Komisarek is basically the definition of a shutdown dman. He needs to play with an excellent puckmover, OR on a team with some sort of system that isn't all-offence all-the-time. Playing with Streit would take him away from developing younger guys, but it would also be a significant improvement to the team. At some point, the Isles do have to start trying to win hockey games.

The other option would be to split up the vets, and play Komisarek with Hamonic (giving him tons of puckmoving freedom), leaving Streit to play with a young guy like MacDonald. Martinek walks as a UFA in the offseason, and Jurcina plays with another young guy.
JFried, The only Shutting down Komisarek does is your teams offense, with his absolue inability to effectively move the puck, he doesnt even hit any longer Since Milan Lucic robbed him of his Manhood.

Then consider how he dissed the Islanders upon signing in Toronto and you have someone that Garth Snow wouldnt take for free, hence the need for some pretty serious bribery by way of a serious sweetener coming our way in order to consider him

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:24 AM
  #17
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 17,368
vCash: 500
Yeah I would flock to see hometown hero Komisarek playing for the Isles, probably buy 50 tickets

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:25 AM
  #18
Leafmon1
Registered User
 
Leafmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massena, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
I'd say that's pretty much enough to close thread/end discussion...

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:26 AM
  #19
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
JFried, The only Shutting down Komisarek does is your teams offense, with his absolue inability to effectively move the puck, he doesnt even hit any longer Since Milan Lucic robbed him of his Manhood.

Then consider how he dissed the Islanders upon signing in Toronto and you have someone that Garth Snow wouldnt take for free, hence the need for some pretty serious bribery by way of a serious sweetener coming our way in order to consider him
Actually... he does as effective a job shutting down opposition as any of our defencemen in our terrible system. His puckmoving would be fine if Toronto provided their defence with any type of puck support. The myth about lack of hitting is interesting, because he has more hits per minute played than league leader Luke Schenn does. The whole Milan Lucic thing is contrived bull#### from fans who want to make an excuse for his poor play, as opposed to realzing that he's just not suited to play in Toronto's system.

Wanting to sign with a team that showed a dedication to spending money to win and would basically guarantee you an olympic roster spot isn't "dissing" the Islanders.... and they're not the kind of team that can afford to hold grudges when it comes to acquiring talent.

If the Isles decide that they're going to actually start spending some money to improve their team, Komisarek is a much better choice than having to overpay someone in free agency.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:29 AM
  #20
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmon1 View Post
Or Blake and Toskala.
yeah you had to take on Giguere who made even more for that to happen, a $6M dollar goalie who was 4-8 coming off the Worst season of his career.

I mean hell im sure you could trade Komisarek for Redden or Horcoff if thats what youd rather do

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:29 AM
  #21
The Instigator
Registered User
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 900
I don't usually do this, but I'm gonna have to agree with jfried. He's only 2 years off being one of the best defensive defenseman in the league, and playing in T.O. probably isn't helping his situation.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:37 AM
  #22
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Actually... he does as effective a job shutting down opposition as any of our defencemen in our terrible system. His puckmoving would be fine if Toronto provided their defence with any type of puck support. The myth about lack of hitting is interesting, because he has more hits per minute played than league leader Luke Schenn does. The whole Milan Lucic thing is contrived bull#### from fans who want to make an excuse for his poor play, as opposed to realzing that he's just not suited to play in Toronto's system.

Wanting to sign with a team that showed a dedication to spending money to win and would basically guarantee you an olympic roster spot isn't "dissing" the Islanders.... and they're not the kind of team that can afford to hold grudges when it comes to acquiring talent.

If the Isles decide that they're going to actually start spending some money to improve their team, Komisarek is a much better choice than having to overpay someone in free agency.
its Much better to spend money trying to acquire talent rather than taking on other peoples mistakes as the leafs have seemingly done.

While its true the Leafs are willing to spend money it seems to me That spending to the Max on questionable talent is no more effective than what we have done

I fail to see how taking on a 3rd pairing defender on a team as bad as we are, and making more than our all star defender to boot helps us

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:39 AM
  #23
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
These Komi to the Isles proposals are starting to remind me of the McCabe to Isles proposals back in the day.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:41 AM
  #24
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
its Much better to spend money trying to acquire talent rather than taking on other peoples mistakes as the leafs have seemingly done.

While its true the Leafs are willing to spend money it seems to me That spending to the Max on questionable talent is no more effective than what we have done

I fail to see how taking on a 3rd pairing defender on a team as bad as we are, and making more than our all star defender to boot helps us
Spending money on talent is exactly what they would be doing in acquiring Komisarek. Just because Toronto made a mistake in acquiring him, doesn't mean he isn't a talented player. Toronto's mistake opens up an opportunity for the Isles to get Komisarek at less than they orginally offered for him, while Toronto has already paid out the two most expensive years on his contract.

A free agent would always rather play for a team that shows a committment to win versus a committment to the bottom line.

We're not talking about a 3rd pairing defender for the Isles. We're talking about a guy who would easily be the 2nd best defenceman that the Islanders have, and a guy who they could not acquire an equivalent of without spending way more money.

Take a look at the list of free agent defencemen out there...who can they get that's better than or equal to Komisarek, only 28 years old, and spend less than $4.1m over the next 3 years on? Much better to committ to a younger guy who is a misfit on his team than to an older guy who is likely to decline....then you factor in the premium that the Isles would have to pay to get a guy to sign there.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:43 AM
  #25
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin007 View Post
I don't usually do this, but I'm gonna have to agree with jfried. He's only 2 years off being one of the best defensive defenseman in the league, and playing in T.O. probably isn't helping his situation.
it probably isnt but since when is it a good idea to acquire talent based on being only 2 years off being on one's game?

The object should be to acquire talent on the way up...... not on the way down...... is it not?


Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 02-21-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.