HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New York Islanders - Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
02-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Isles_Guy*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Spending money on talent is exactly what they would be doing in acquiring Komisarek. Just because Toronto made a mistake in acquiring him, doesn't mean he isn't a talented player. Toronto's mistake opens up an opportunity for the Isles to get Komisarek at less than they orginally offered for him, while Toronto has already paid out the two most expensive years on his contract.

A free agent would always rather play for a team that shows a committment to win versus a committment to the bottom line.

We're not talking about a 3rd pairing defender for the Isles. We're talking about a guy who would easily be the 2nd best defenceman that the Islanders have, and a guy who they could not acquire an equivalent of without spending way more money.
Come on JFreid youre too smart for that, Komisarek isnt a 2nd pairing defender for Sister Theresa's Blind beggars of the poor roller hockey team, let alone The Islanders.

Streit, Amac, Hamonic and Martinek in their sleep bring more than Komisarek does at this point, and Jurcina and Wishart at least have a pulse

We have DeHaan and Kessel on the way too

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:56 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
Come on JFreid youre too smart for that, Komisarek isnt a 2nd pairing defender for Sister Theresa's Blind beggars of the poor roller hockey team, let alone The Islanders.

Streit, Amac, Hamonic and Martinek in their sleep bring more than Komisarek does at this point, and Jurcina and Wishart at least have a pulse
And the gross underrating of Leafs players continues on hfboards...suprise suprise

Komisarek is easily a top 4 defenceman on at least 50% of the teams in the league. In the case of the Islanders, he would be easily their 2nd best behind Streit and is a much better defenceman than any of those other 5 guys. He may not play on their top pair, but the only reason for that would be to spread veteran wealth.

But then again, I guess that's to be expected of a fan who's bitter about a free agent turning down the ability to play for that fan's team. It's to be expected.

DeHaan and Kessel get an opportunity when Jurcina/Mottau's contract expires. Neither of them are shutdown guys either so that's a moot point.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:59 AM
boredmale

Quote:
We have DeHaan and Kessel on the way too
I should point out we have the better Kessel. lol

Quote:
Komisarek is easily a top 4 defenceman on at least 50% of the teams in the league.

While Komi is most likely a better defenseman then Eaton, I don't think he is 2M dollar better. The Islanders basically need to go on the UFA market this summer and spend 4-6M on a defender who is better then both guys(a pipedream would be Jovonoski, a more realistic person I wouldn't mind is Hannan)

Last edited by boredmale: 02-21-2011 at 02:06 AM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
And the gross underrating of Leafs players continues on hfboards...suprise suprise

Komisarek is easily a top 4 defenceman on at least 50% of the teams in the league. In the case of the Islanders, he would be easily their 2nd best behind Streit and is a much better defenceman than any of those other 5 guys. He may not play on their top pair, but the only reason for that would be to spread veteran wealth.

But then again, I guess that's to be expected of a fan who's bitter about a free agent turning down the ability to play for that fan's team.
i wasnt bitter, I was dancing in the Streets you guys got stuck with him instead of us....... Thats outright hilarious.

The fact is that the leafs are rebuilding and Komisarek the Slug that he is is taking up valuable cap space and a roster spot That would be better off being given to a younger and more promising player with upside, and you would give your firstborn child to have anyone of Amac, Hamonic, or Martinek or DeHaan for Komisarek and you know it

Sadly for leaf fans you are stuck with him.....Most teams wont touch him because he is so overpaid and is ill suited for todays game

Old
02-21-2011, 02:10 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
While Komi is most likely a better defenseman then Eaton, I don't think he is 2M dollar better. The Islanders basically need to go on the UFA market this summer and spend 4-6M on a defender who is better then both guys(a pipedream would be Jovonoski, a more realistic person I wouldn't mind is Hannon)
That's the thing -- sure you can make a case for Eaton being better value, but at some point, the Isles need a guy that actually belongs in a top 4.

Hannan and Komisarek are very similar calibre shutdown defencemen with the edge problably going to Komisarek, while Komi 3 years younger than him. You then have to consider that New York is problably going to be well down on the priority list for Hannan. Something like 30% of players said it's the last place they'd want to play, and of the other 70%, I wouldn't be suprised if a majority had the Isles at #2-#5 least desirable destinations.

For the Isles to sign a guy like Hannan, you're problably looking upwards of 3 years and $4.5m per season, then trying to find a team to take on Eaton's contract in the offseason. It doesn't make any sense to do that on a guy who is 32 years old, when you can spend only $4.1m average over the next 3 yearrs and get a younger guy like Komi.

Quote:
i wasnt bitter, I was dancing in the Streets you guys got stuck with him instead of us....... Thats outright hilarious.

The fact is that the leafs are rebuilding and Komisarek the Slug that he is is taking up valuable cap space and a roster spot That would be better off being given to a younger and more promising player with upside, and you would give your firstborn child to have anyone of Amac, Hamonic, or Martinek or DeHaan for Komisarek and you know it

Sadly for leaf fans you are stuck with him.....Most teams wont touch him because he is so overpaid and is ill suited for todays game
I'm sure you were -- once a guy you wanted becomes no longer available, people tend to only look at his flaws trying to make themselves feel better about not getting him. I'd rather have a guy like Hamonic than Komisarek, but that's because Toronto needs a bottom-of-the-lineup puckmover and is loaded with stay-at-home-defencemen who have big contracts..

For the Isles, they're much better off with a guy like Komisarek in their lineup than they are with Eaton, and have the cap space to accomodate that.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:31 AM
joeyp

Quote:
That's the thing -- sure you can make a case for Eaton being better value, but at some point, the Isles need a guy that actually belongs in a top 4.

Hannan and Komisarek are very similar calibre shutdown defencemen with the edge problably going to Komisarek, while Komi 3 years younger than him. You then have to consider that New York is problably going to be well down on the priority list for Hannan. Something like 30% of players said it's the last place they'd want to play, and of the other 70%, I wouldn't be suprised if a majority had the Isles at #2-#5 least desirable destinations.

For the Isles to sign a guy like Hannan, you're problably looking upwards of 3 years and $4.5m per season, then trying to find a team to take on Eaton's contract in the offseason. It doesn't make any sense to do that on a guy who is 32 years old, when you can spend only $4.1m average over the next 3 yearrs and get a younger guy like Komi.

I'm sure you were -- once a guy you wanted becomes no longer available, people tend to only look at his flaws trying to make themselves feel better about not getting him. I'd rather have a guy like Hamonic than Komisarek, but that's because Toronto needs a bottom-of-the-lineup puckmover and is loaded with stay-at-home-defencemen who have big contracts..

For the Isles, they're much better off with a guy like Komisarek in their lineup than they are with Eaton, and have the cap space to accomodate that.

I dont see why a team like the Islanders would want a guy like Komisarek on their transitional offense style team all he would do is bog them down and actually hinder their offense

Hes absolutely the last guy id want if I was an Islander fan

but I do have an alternative, since my Blackhawks have no real 3rd pairing defensemen Id offer Brian Campbell, Nick Boynton, and Stalberg for Komisarek, Gunnarson, and Bozak, We have the Puckmovers to cover for Komi and better defensive forwards
and Campbell replaces some of what you lost with Kaberle.

I see it as Win - Win because at least you get a guy who can play for your deadwood

joeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:38 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyp View Post
I dont see why a team like the Islanders would want a guy like Komisarek on their transitional offense style team all he would do is bog them down and actually hinder their offense

but I do have an alternative, since my Blackhawks have no real 3rd pairing defensemen Id offer Brian Campbell, Nick Boynton, and Stalberg for Komisarek, Gunnarson, and Bozak, We have the Puckmovers to cover for Komi and better defensive forwards

I see it as Win - Win because at least you get a guy who can play for your deadwood
It's the same reason any team would want a shutdown defenceman -- to allow the rest of the team to be more offensive. You play him with Streit or Hamonic, and that allows them more freedom.

Campbell for Komisarek is a non-starter for Toronto. (nevermind losing Gunnarsson + Bozak for Boynton + Stalberg). They cannot afford to pay a defenceman $7.1m until he's 38 years old, nevermind one that's overpaid by at least $2m by free agent standards (2nd pair puckmovers are worth $5m at most) to get rid of a guy who's overpaid by only about $500k (top shutdown guys are worth around $4-$4.25m).

They'll find a much less painful way to get rid of Komisarek, like to the Islanders in a deal like originally proposed, because there are plenty of teams who need a shutdown guy and do not have the ability to attract one via free agency without grossly overpaying.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:41 AM
boredmale

Quote:
You play him with Streit or Hamonic, and that allows them more freedom.
Hamonic is not an offensive defenseman. He is basically an all around defender who pairs up perfectly with Amac

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:42 AM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:

I'm sure you were -- once a guy you wanted becomes no longer available, people tend to only look at his flaws trying to make themselves feel better about not getting him.
nope I never wanted him..... i was just afraid that Newsday with all the hometown boy drivel they were spewing over Higgins and Komisarek, would influence Snow to sign them for publicity purposes,

I celebrated when he signed with you guys

neither one of them can skate worth a damn making them ill fitting in Gordons "overspeed" system. You look at what a kid who can skate like Grabner does here and you know why I wanted no part of the slug

What Newsday didnt know was that neither Komisarek or Higgins were ever Isles fans to begin with

Old
02-21-2011, 02:59 AM
joeyp

Quote:

Campbell for Komisarek is a non-starter for Toronto. (nevermind losing Gunnarsson + Bozak for Boynton + Stalberg). They cannot afford to pay a defenceman $7.1m until he's 38 years old, nevermind one that's overpaid by at least $2m by free agent standards (2nd pair puckmovers are worth $5m at most) to get rid of a guy who's overpaid by only about $500k (top shutdown guys are worth around $4-$4.25m).
aww come off it, Brian Campbell while overpaid can still play, Komisarek is a veritable Pylon for christsakes, he's what like minus 20 over the course of little more than one season in Toronto.

Hes no shutdown defenseman any more than Kaberle was and at least Kaberle didnt **** hisself when ever he had the puck on his stick.

Komisarek is overpaid by at least 2 million, if not more. Jordan Hendry is more of a Shutdown defender than Komisarek is..... talk about polishing a turd, Komisarek bathed in perfume is still a pylon that stinks like horse manure

Old
02-21-2011, 03:07 AM
william_adams

Quote:

Done, done and done. Campbell is expensive, but he's easily worth bozak and gunnarson if we're also getting rid of komi's cap hit. He'd be GREAT to play with schenn too...

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:17 AM
joeyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_adams View Post
Done, done and done. Campbell is expensive, but he's easily worth bozak and gunnarson if we're also getting rid of komi's cap hit. He'd be GREAT to play with schenn too...
Thats what i figured we get 2 bottom pairing defenders and a young potential center, sure losing Campbell hurts but the Savings of 3 million pays for Seabrook and Leddy takes the spot

We replace our lost depth and we're good to go, and toronto replaces Kaberle while getting rid of Komi for the same money, its like getting Colborne and a 1st for free almost

Old
02-21-2011, 03:35 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Thats what i figured we get 2 bottom pairing defenders and a young potential center, sure losing Campbell hurts but the Savings of 3 million pays for Seabrook and Leddy takes the spot

We replace our lost depth and we're good to go, and toronto replaces Kaberle while getting rid of Komi for the same money, its like getting Colborne and a 1st for free almost
A deal around Komisarek and Campbell is worth the thought from Maple Leaf perspective. Maple Leafs shouldn't be adding much though, in fact, if Chicago wants to move Campbell they should be compensating teams for picking him up; whoever signed Campbell to that ridiculous contract was definitely high on something. He's probably the richest signed defenseman and his contract expires at the ripe old age of 38.

Komisarek and Gunnarsson for Campbell and your 1st (top10 protected) otherwise I'd stick it out with Komi and let him ride the pine if he becomes road-block

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:05 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Hamonic is not an offensive defenseman. He is basically an all around defender who pairs up perfectly with Amac
Pairing him with Komisarek allows him to be more offensive than Macdonald.

Quote:
aww come off it, Brian Campbell while overpaid can still play, Komisarek is a veritable Pylon for christsakes, he's what like minus 20 over the course of little more than one season in Toronto.

Hes no shutdown defenseman any more than Kaberle was and at least Kaberle didnt **** hisself when ever he had the puck on his stick.

Komisarek is overpaid by at least 2 million, if not more. Jordan Hendry is more of a Shutdown defender than Komisarek is..... talk about polishing a turd, Komisarek bathed in perfume is still a pylon that stinks like horse manure
You guys are the ones who need to "come off it", and take a look at what top one dimensional shutdown defencemen make in this leauge -- notably signing from less than 1 year ago. Anton Volchenkov got $4.25m over 6 years from what most assumed to be a very good team. Zbynek Michalek, who is less of a shutdown guy and a little bit more versatile, got $4m over 5 years.

If you fail acknowledge the fact that Komisarek is a top shutdown defenceman underachieving in Toronto, you're obviously not operating within the realm of reality.

Both defencemen can still play despite being overpaid. However, you're talking about one guy who is overpaid by ~$2m with a contract for 5 more years until he's 38 versus one who is overpaid by ~$500k with a contract for 3 more years until he's 32. In the case of Komisarek, they can get rid of him with a lot less pain than taking on Campbell's ridiculous contract. There are teams like the Islanders and Hurricanes who do not have the ability to attract free agents without grossly overpaying. This allows a guy like Komisarek to be overpaid to a team like Toronto, but underpaid to a team like New York, because they could not acquire a defenceman of his calibre for his paycheque through free agency.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Otto91

Quote:
I am not sure how much better or worse Komi is then Eaton, but I much rather keep Eaton and his 2M less a season paycheck.

The Islanders basically need to go out this summer and overpay some UFA defenseman who is a level ahead of both guys

Sorry, But I don't see the Islanders needing to add any Dmen this summer at all...with all we have under contract already...

Streit, Amac, Hamonic, Eaton, M. Juice, Motteau,Ty Wishart, Hillen...I believe i sa RFA.....Gervais RFA.....and Not sure if Martinek is traded or offered a contract before the trade deadline.....

Calvin DeHann in the wings....

The talent is on board

The problem keeping them healthy

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
AlMo

Quote:

Another classic statement by Jfried

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:16 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Toronto fans are aware Komisarek has a NMC and turned down offers as a UFA from the NYI right?

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:18 AM
AlMo

Quote:
It's the same reason any team would want a shutdown defenceman -- to allow the rest of the team to be more offensive. You play him with Streit or Hamonic, and that allows them more freedom.

They'll find a much less painful way to get rid of Komisarek, like to the Islanders in a deal like originally proposed, because there are plenty of teams who need a shutdown guy and do not have the ability to attract one via free agency without grossly overpaying.
Plenty of teams would like a shutdown dman and plenty would want Komisarek, if he were a shutdown dman. Since when do we consider a slow, immobile, dman who lack serious hockey sense a "good" shutdown dman? You can try to pimp your ***** out all you want but your ***** is costing too much coin for the service you are receiving

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:24 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

The Leafs keep Komi and hope he puts it all together next year and proves he can play 3-4 dman. If he does then he will have some value as his actual salary drops to 3.5 in the last two years of his deal. Leafs might be able to find a team that needs a 6'5" rough stay at home rear guard with a bigger cap hit then actual salary that can play in their top 4. The return might be a mid round pick but the real return is getting rid of the 4.5 cap hit

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:24 AM
grabo84

Not at all interested in a trade like this. Komi is a good stop-gap for the next couple of years (which we need), and I think he'll improve given more ice-time.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:25 AM
noBSleafsFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Yeah I would flock to see hometown hero Komisarek playing for the Isles, probably buy 50 tickets
i see what you did`there

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:45 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Toronto fans are seeing what Montreal fans already knew - Komisarek isn't that good. But now's he's just overpaid AND not that good.

He's a lot like Jeff Finger. Slow, hits hard once in a while, but mostly hurts the team with and without the puck.

Leafs are better off keeping him. Komisarek, if he learns to simplify his game ala Hal Gill, can still be a useful defenseman. He's young enough that he can still learn. Nobody will take on that salary/term for the player Komisarek is today. Zero percent chance.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Jester9881

Quote:

We're not talking about a 3rd pairing defender for the Isles. We're talking about a guy who would easily be the 2nd best defenceman that the Islanders have, and a guy who they could not acquire an equivalent of without spending way more money.
Umm...

Streit
Hamonic
Andy Macdonald
Radek Martinek

He would very much be on our 3rd pairing..... or at least fifth/sixth on our depth chart.

He also would have to approve a trade here. He dissed the Isles after signing in Toronto, so it's doubtful he approves even if we still wanted him.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Jester9881

Quote:

But then again, I guess that's to be expected of a fan who's bitter about a free agent turning down the ability to play for that fan's team. It's to be expected.

DeHaan and Kessel get an opportunity when Jurcina/Mottau's contract expires. Neither of them are shutdown guys either so that's a moot point.
And the gross overrating of Leafs players by Leaf fans continues on hfboards... surprise surprise.

Old
02-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Jester9881

You've got to love it.... Leafs fans acting like used car salesman trying to sell other people their junk. If Komisarek is so great, maybe you should keep him. LMAO