HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor-Pit

Old
02-20-2011, 11:53 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

vCash: 500
Tor-Pit

If for whatever reason we wanted to trade him, would this be a good base for a trade.(either side can add what is needed)

TOR
macarthur

PIT
goligoski

fair deal?

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Zrinski

It's close, Toronto probably needs to add. As a Toronto fan I'm not crazy about it though. Mac and his line are working so well, why break it up for Gogo when we can sign an adequate puck mover in the off season.

Also, Mac is gonna be looking for a raise next season, don't know how he'd work with Pen's cap.

Zrinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:58 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

not sure why either team does it.... as the above commenter said, the leafs don't have to break up a successful line to get a guy they can sign (well,someone close to his caliber of play) in the offseason

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Shak19

macarthur
gunnarson
for
goligoski

MacArthur is a nice surprise this year, but with Kaberle gone, Leafs really need someone for the powerplay... Relying on free agency would not be a good decision (see what Hamhuis, Martin got last year), there will be bidding war for Ehrhoff/Pitkanen.

I'd rather spend the money on a bigger need (puck moving defenceman) as we don't have one in house for next year, meanwhile Kadri can be an adequate replacement for MacArthur next year.

Shak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrinski View Post
Also, Mac is gonna be looking for a raise next season, don't know how he'd work with Pen's cap.
If the cap goes up the $3 million figure that's reported, the Pens will have about $9-10 million to get 3 4th liners, replace/re-sign Dupuis and get a top six forward or two.

So they could probably afford a guy like MacArthur, but I'm not sure he'd be their prime target. He's got arbitration rights and is a pending UFA after that and even though he's having a great year this season, what's to see he's not the expendable type guy he was in Buffalo when he gets to Pittsburgh?

The Pens almost certainly won't part with Goligoski this season, it's more likely to be next year if/when a prospect (Despres, Bortuzzo, Strait) shows he's a viable NHL option.

Even then, I'd prefer trying to add a little more for a Devin Setoguchi type player than get a guy like MacArthur.

Value wise this deal isn't bad, but for all the other factors I don't think either Toronto or Pittsburgh would really discuss a deal like this.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
seanlinden

Pittsburgh problably doesn't touch this one, and I suspect that Toronto would be very hesitant to make this move aswell.

On the Penguins side, simply put, they can acquire a winger with a longer track than MacArthur, and with contract for less than MacArthur will cost (in terms of assets). It's been beaten to death, but Brad Boyes makes a ton of sense for the Penguins to acquire, and they can problably do it without losing a roster player. Goligoski is incredibly valuable to them because he's a really cheap #5 defneceman that can step up into the top 4, and allow them to have Lovejoy/Engelland as the #6.

On the Toronto side, Goligoski would be a very nice addition, but you've really gotta question whether or not it makes sense with our current crop of players. He's not good enough defensively to play the top shutdown minutes with Phaneuf (or Schenn if they decide to mix things up next year). He would fit very nicely on the 2nd pair in the spot that Kaberle played. However, we have Carl Gunnarsson for whom it would not be a huge stretch to throw into that role.

Obviously that's an upgrade you make if you can (demoting Gunnarsson to the 3rd pair with Aulie), but it's problably not worth valuing Goligoski high enough for Pittsburgh to trade him, especially when you've got guys like Blacker/Gardiner who you've got a ton of hope for long term.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:47 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Now that Kaberle is gone, GoGo is exactly what Toronto needs.

However, the Pens would no have to get over-payment to move Goligoski. MacArthur is a great player that would look good on Pittsburgh, but not good enough to move Goligoski.

The starting price would have to be Kulemin. Given that he's the best winger besides Kessel, I'm not sure that the Leafs would do this. Then again, I'm not sure the Pens would do it either, but if they were trading Gogo to the Leafs, Kulemin would be the guy they want.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Now that Kaberle is gone, GoGo is exactly what Toronto needs.

However, the Pens would no have to get over-payment to move Goligoski. MacArthur is a great player that would look good on Pittsburgh, but not good enough to move Goligoski.

The starting price would have to be Kulemin. Given that he's the best winger besides Kessel, I'm not sure that the Leafs would do this. Then again, I'm not sure the Pens would do it either, but if they were trading Gogo to the Leafs, Kulemin would be the guy they want.
Exactly how I see it.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Yeah, if (and that's a massive *if*) the Pens decide to use Goligoski as trade bait, I'd hope it's part of a package to bring in a better winger than MacArthur.

If Gogo is going (pardon the repetition), then I'd like to see a winger such as a Penner, Booth, Hemsky, or Neal be the eventual return (with other pieces rounding out the deal, obviously), not someone like MacArthur.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Leafmon1

Mac will probably re-sign in TO and there is nothing here to indicate otherwise imho. I don't believe there is anything remotely close to this on the table.

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:28 AM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

I don't think we can get Gogo out of Pitt for MacArthur. He's too much of an unknown right now. Maybe if it was written in stone that he'd keep up this level of production, but as is, the Pens would be giving up a valuable, known commodity in Gologoski for someone that could be a bottom-6er in 2 years.

I would think if the Pens are going to move him, it would have to be for a long term, surefire top-6 winger. In Toronto's case, that means Kulemin, and I don't think I want to get rid of him at this stage.

It is tempting, though.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

no way i do this as a pens fan. we've seen what scoring wingers in toronto do here.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

No. Just no.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Holy ****, no.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Awful.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Dylonus

Pittsburgh says no. MacArthur will want a nice sized pay raise this year and Pittsburgh won't overpay him for that.

Besides, Goose would be moved for someone who is more proven and has struggled for most of his career.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

I think all of the my fellow Pens fans have expressed my sentiment ....

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:18 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

MacArthur doesn't have a lot of value on his own due to his lack of a track record that shows he can keep up this scoring pace. The most you would get for him is probably a 2nd and a 3rd, but now that Toronto has loaded up on draft picks there's no reason for them to do that. I think the Leafs should re-sign him to a one year deal to see if he will produce, and if he does then he earns himself a new contract. Similar to how the Islanders handled Moulson.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:25 AM
TheLaughsWeKnow*

I'm sorry but this thread's a joke. Burke said there's 5 untouchables, and those are likely to be Kessel, Schenn. Grabovski, Kulemin and Macarthur. Pen's would have to overpay for Macarthur, or trade Malkin to us for a package of Macarthur and others out of the untouchable list.

If Macarthur is going to be traded to a deal similar to this it's probably for both Goligoski and Tangradi considering Pit's has gotta overpay

TheLaughsWeKnow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Why is it always assumed that if a trade isn't ideal for one team, it's suddenly great for the other?

Leafs aren't trading their leading scorer for Goligoski - Leafs pass.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
MisterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Pittsburgh says no. MacArthur will want a nice sized pay raise this year and Pittsburgh won't overpay him for that.

Besides, Goose would be moved for someone who is more proven and has struggled for most of his career.
Pittsburgh would be fortunate to turn Gogo into more than this as he's an undersized dman that will likely drop off in production once traded. He's the odd man out on the Pens defense and will likely be traded but I think it will happen around the draft, with the Pens securing a package of picks to restock their farm - the picks will not include a 1st either.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Gbov

Toronto would be crazy to break up the Kulemin-Grabovski-Mac line.

LOTS of other options for Burke to use before having to do this.

Gbov is offline   Reply With Quote