HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Versteeg on special teams

Old
02-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
Versteeg on special teams

Hey guys one of the reasons I was hyped about the versteeg pickup was the fact he might be able to give the powerplay a spark and more importanly to me was taking some burden off richards and G on the pk. He was a pretty decent pker on chicago and I am hoping to see what he can offer in this role.

I noticed he had a bit of pp time vs the rangers and had a dangerous shotwhile he was parked in the slot.

Do you think lavy is working him in slowly, or will he not likely spend much time on the special teams unit?

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Mgkibbles

Seems as though Lavy is still trying to get him worked in, but his special teams time will depend solely on how he performs even strength, that goes for everyone.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:53 PM
ELab2

It seems he's working him in slowly. But we've got two great PK units so I'd bet his time there will be pretty limited either way. I'm sure he'll get some PP time as they try to figure out why it's in the middle of the league.

As a positive he was out to finish a one goal game today which shows some good early confidence in his defensive abilities.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Lavy working him in is why Holmgren pulled the trigger on the trade so early. The team looked so bad, and were not in shape to run his system, which is why they were terrible for another 2 weeks after he was hired. Leino didn't get his bearings until the playoffs. Meszaros didn't look that great the first couple weeks of the season. Just how it's going to be whenever new players are brought in. They not only have to get the system, but be in shape to do it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They not only have to get the system, but be in shape to do it.
I remember hearing about Versteeg not being in the greatest of shapes at the Leafs camp as well, so it might take him a while to get into Lavi shape.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:09 AM
mirimon

I don't mind him having to earn his time on special teams. I wouldn't mind seeing guys like him and Carter have a little PK time though, we're riding our PK units a bit hard imo (in the games where we take any penalties at least...).

As for the PP, would anyone like to see Coburn tried there again? He's had a couple of games where he's been looking for the shot from the blue line instead of making the safe play, I wouldn't mind having him together with Meszaros on the second unit once in a while.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I don't mind him having to earn his time on special teams. I wouldn't mind seeing guys like him and Carter have a little PK time though, we're riding our PK units a bit hard imo (in the games where we take any penalties at least...).

As for the PP, would anyone like to see Coburn tried there again? He's had a couple of games where he's been looking for the shot from the blue line instead of making the safe play, I wouldn't mind having him together with Meszaros on the second unit once in a while.
The problem there is that both Meszaros and Coburn are one-trick ponies on the PP... neither of 'em are PPQBs.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

He hasn't impressed me so far, but its only been 3 games

Ill wait 10 games before I judge

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
He has to get up to speed with Lavi's 5 on 5 system first. Then he can worry about doing whatever it is they're trying to do on PP.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
He hasn't impressed me so far, but its only been 3 games

Ill wait 10 games before I judge
He's been an upgrade on Nodl next to Richards. That counts for something.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
He was out defending a one-goal lead in the last minute of the game, so there's something to be said for that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The problem there is that both Meszaros and Coburn are one-trick ponies on the PP... neither of 'em are PPQBs.
Meszaros is more of a gunner, but hes hardly a one-trick pony. Coburn is just about useless on the PP though.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Meszaros is more of a gunner, but hes hardly a one-trick pony. Coburn is just about useless on the PP though.
Watch Meszaros on the PP... all he's looking to do is get a shot off. Nothing wrong with that, but he isn't very good at moving the puck around. One of the reasons the Carle-Meszaros tandem has been a train wreck on the PP.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Watch Meszaros on the PP... all he's looking to do is get a shot off. Nothing wrong with that, but he isn't very good at moving the puck around. One of the reasons the Carle-Meszaros tandem has been a train wreck on the PP.
Mez has some pretty decent passing skills. Maybe because he is on the PP to get his shot off he isn't worried much about moving the puck around.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Versteeg has looked good, still needs to gel a bit though. I noticed a lot of pucks being in his feet or passes just missing.

He should be a good PP guy eventually too, already getting a bit of time

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Yeah, I know... I think there's a bit of a problem that we have either Timonen or Carle on our PP units though. Neither of them will shoot the puck, and it seems as if the opponents knows about it. Timonen is too good on other things to take off a unit, but I don't think it would hurt to leave Carle off the second unit sometimes.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Jester

Isn't letting me quote... so:

sm0ka47: There's a difference between generic use passing skills (which Meszaros certainly has) and PPQB passing skills. When you're working the top of the point, you need to be good at quick movement passing and working in tight spaces along the top of the unit. Meszaros (and Carle) aren't particularly great at that, and it's a reason the 2nd unit with them out there has been a bit stagnant this year.

I really don't like the Meszaros/JVR thing they've been trying of late for this reason. If you're going to put JVR out there, he needs to be with Timonen or Pronger, IMO.

mirimon: Timonen isn't out there to be a shooter (and neither is Carle, really). Timonen is out there as the PPQB facilitator. Looking to either setup Pronger for the one-timer bombs, or get the puck down low to the forwards rotating out of the corner. Both Timonen and Carle are also left shots playing on the left side of the ice, so their ability to get shots off is considerably limited unless they move to the middle or right side of the ice (where Pronger and Meszaros have been the entire year).

One reason there has been so much noise about needing a righty shot on D is so that you can setup point shots from both side of the PP.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Isn't letting me quote... so:

sm0ka47: There's a difference between generic use passing skills (which Meszaros certainly has) and PPQB passing skills. When you're working the top of the point, you need to be good at quick movement passing and working in tight spaces along the top of the unit. Meszaros (and Carle) aren't particularly great at that, and it's a reason the 2nd unit with them out there has been a bit stagnant this year.

I really don't like the Meszaros/JVR thing they've been trying of late for this reason. If you're going to put JVR out there, he needs to be with Timonen or Pronger, IMO.

mirimon: Timonen isn't out there to be a shooter (and neither is Carle, really). Timonen is out there as the PPQB facilitator. Looking to either setup Pronger for the one-timer bombs, or get the puck down low to the forwards rotating out of the corner. Both Timonen and Carle are also left shots playing on the left side of the ice, so their ability to get shots off is considerably limited unless they move to the middle or right side of the ice (where Pronger and Meszaros have been the entire year).

One reason there has been so much noise about needing a righty shot on D is so that you can setup point shots from both side of the PP.
Yeah, I know and agree with this almost completely, it just gets a little bit too predictable. Timonen I don't have that much trouble with because he's so good at what he does, but that 2nd PP unit needs to get going somehow.

I agree that JvR should be with Timonen/Pronger if (and I believe he should at this stage) he's out on the PP.

Anyway, we could perhaps mix up our PP units a little bit, make them a little bit less predictable during the games. We have at least 12 players who deserves PP time more or less.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, I know and agree with this almost completely, it just gets a little bit too predictable. Timonen I don't have that much trouble with because he's so good at what he does, but that 2nd PP unit needs to get going somehow.

I agree that JvR should be with Timonen/Pronger if (and I believe he should at this stage) he's out on the PP.

Anyway, we could perhaps mix up our PP units a little bit, make them a little bit less predictable during the games. We have at least 12 players who deserves PP time more or less.
I'd actually like to see them play JVR down low a bit more... particularly around the net. If he can develop those types of skills, he'll really turn into a force. He just isn't a guy I necessarily want along the point at this stage in his career.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Wils98

I notice during yesterday game, they were just rolling the regular lines on the PP, that is why Versteeg end up with some PP time. Nodl had PP time also.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Cleary84

Quote:
I'd actually like to see them play JVR down low a bit more... particularly around the net. If he can develop those types of skills, he'll really turn into a force. He just isn't a guy I necessarily want along the point at this stage in his career.
I agree. And judging by his recent physical play I'd say it's time to move him there now.

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Mez

Put Kimmo and Prongs together in big situations.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
I agree. And judging by his recent physical play I'd say it's time to move him there now.

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Mez

Put Kimmo and Prongs together in big situations.
I'm totally fine with this. Carle dishes bombs to Pronger, and Kimmo to Mez.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:

I think the blast-from-the-point mentality is a large part of the team's poor PP showing this season. First, of course, is that they too often go on the PP and all of a sudden can't seem to pass the puck with precision. Plus, a lot of PK units seem to be stressing a more aggressive style that takes away the big point shot. Finally, if you are playing a screen/tip-in game, as the Flyers do, shot accuracy should count more than a few ticks more on the radar gun. Having Timonen just get it through into the traffic the forwards are creating or a hard pass to the man coming off the boards for an easy redirect should be a bigger part of their PP repertoire.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I think the blast-from-the-point mentality is a large part of the team's poor PP showing this season. First, of course, is that they too often go on the PP and all of a sudden can't seem to pass the puck with precision. Plus, a lot of PK units seem to be stressing a more aggressive style that takes away the big point shot. Finally, if you are playing a screen/tip-in game, as the Flyers do, shot accuracy should count more than a few ticks more on the radar gun. Having Timonen just get it through into the traffic the forwards are creating or a hard pass to the man coming off the boards for an easy redirect should be a bigger part of their PP repertoire.
Well, the PP has been pretty effective with Pronger out there... not so much when he's not out there. They need to figure out how to play without his bomb from the top.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
The passing isn't helped by the almost total lack of rapid puck movement. Player receives pass....holds....tries to pass...repeat until turnover happens or someone finally shoots. They give the PK unit far too much time to position themselves.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote