HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouillon & Lombardi (concussions), O'Reilly (leg), & Goc (shoulder) all out

Old
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Didn't a recurring shoulder injury stunt Sulzer's emergence from MIL? Seems like he was ready to make the move from the AHL and hurt his shoulder in the first few games with Nashville. It healed, then he re-injured it and had an extended rehab.

I hope Goc doesn't have an extended rehab if it is the same injury he suffered earlier this season.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Didn't a recurring shoulder injury stunt Sulzer's emergence from MIL? Seems like he was ready to make the move from the AHL and hurt his shoulder in the first few games with Nashville. It healed, then he re-injured it and had an extended rehab.

I hope Goc doesn't have an extended rehab if it is the same injury he suffered earlier this season.
I checked the replay from the Capitals game, and be hurt his right shoulder then. Last night's appeared to be left...

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Filip Forceberg
Heavily Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I forgot to mention that I saw O'Reilly at the game last Saturday. Still on crutches with a big boot on. So yeah, nothing new there heh
He sits in my section (315) at the countertop area where scouts often sit. He's been there for at least the past 5 games or so. It hurts to see how bummed he looks while he's watching the game.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:16 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
I checked the replay from the Capitals game, and be hurt his right shoulder then. Last night's appeared to be left...
If true, I suppose there is our silver lining.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:52 AM
WartracePred

Willy Daunic STRONGLY implied tonight that Suter has a concussion and will be evaluated tomorrow. Willy said those in the know have said it starts with a "c". Someone from Blum's hometown said he has been recalled. Makes sense. I hope Cube will return sooner than later.

Why the ******* doesn't the NHL change their damn helmets or enforce their "headshot" rules. Arny's head last year cost us. Lombardi, Cube, and now Suter this year. How many other teams have lost players because of concussions. Football is just as dangerous, but it seems the equipment is better. And they damn sure enforce penalties for hits to the head.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Willy Daunic STRONGLY implied tonight that Suter has a concussion and will be evaluated tomorrow. Willy said those in the know have said it starts with a "c". Someone from Blum's hometown said he has been recalled. Makes sense. I hope Cube will return sooner than later.

Why the ******* doesn't the NHL change their damn helmets or enforce their "headshot" rules. Arny's head last year cost us. Lombardi, Cube, and now Suter this year. How many other teams have lost players because of concussions. Football is just as dangerous, but it seems the equipment is better. And they damn sure enforce penalties for hits to the head.
couldnt of said it better

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

The Doan hit is not illegal under the current set of rules from what I can tell. Whether it should be illegal is a different discussion. Maybe it should, but I can't really fault Doan here as much as it pains me to say it. He was just following through on his hit and unfortunately Suter bent over and turned at the wrong time.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:52 AM
predfan24

Looking at the Doan hit again it probably should have been called interference if not charging. Suter was battling for the puck with a yotes players and had his head down and when he turned up ice to chase the puck he gets immediately crushed by Doan who had no intention on playing the puck. Easy interference call right there the refs missed. Probably was unnecessary from Doan.

We have had so many questionable hits this year that have put important players out for us until we go a little bit "Islanders" on some people this stuff is going to continue to happen. I'm not saying take it as far as the Isles did but if there is no retribution then guys aren't going to be afraid to make these type of plays. I'm not usually one to advocate stuff like that but at some point enough is enough.

Last edited by predfan24: 02-21-2011 at 01:59 AM.
predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:23 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
What will be interesting will be to see if anmyone is more cautious with the isles now. I'm betting the answer is no. All of the talk about teams handling things themselves has never seemed to pan out that I can tell. Seems like teams that play dirty continue to play dirty.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Football is just as dangerous, but it seems the equipment is better. And they damn sure enforce penalties for hits to the head.
I don't think the equipment is that much better. The NHL has access to all the safety tech they do. difference is, football you are getting hit by a 10 mph train. Hockey a 30.

anyone know if our guys who have alphabet soup for brains wear mouthpieces?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
anyone know if our guys who have alphabet soup for brains wear mouthpieces?
Suter does, if that's 100% what's wrong.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I know alot of concussions in sports come from not wearing them.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
The Doan hit is not illegal under the current set of rules from what I can tell. Whether it should be illegal is a different discussion. Maybe it should, but I can't really fault Doan here as much as it pains me to say it. He was just following through on his hit and unfortunately Suter bent over and turned at the wrong time.
It was a charge; whether or not it fit the "blind side" rules, it was still "illegal".

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I don't think the equipment is that much better. The NHL has access to all the safety tech they do. difference is, football you are getting hit by a 10 mph train. Hockey a 30.
Doan wasn't traveling 30 mph. He was three strides from Suter. A wide receiver getting hammered going across the middle of the field is traveling a lot faster than Doan.

And just because the NHL has access to technology, doesn't mean they employ it. Are you telling me that a football helmet isn't a better at preventing head and face injuries than a hockey helmet?

The game changes as players get stronger and faster. Equipment and rules have to change as well. This is not a novel idea, even in the NHL. Helmets weren't required 20-30 years ago.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Doan wasn't traveling 30 mph. He was three strides from Suter. A wide receiver getting hammered going across the middle of the field is traveling a lot faster than Doan.

And just because the NHL has access to technology, doesn't mean they employ it. Are you telling me that a football helmet isn't a better at preventing head and face injuries than a hockey helmet?

The game changes as players get stronger and faster. Equipment and rules have to change as well. This is not a novel idea, even in the NHL. Helmets weren't required 20-30 years ago.
All the NHL needs to do is go back to the old days of padding ... the hard plastic was a horrible idea and has failed miserably

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
It was a charge; whether or not it fit the "blind side" rules, it was still "illegal".
I don't even see how it was charging. Didn't leave his feet, wasn't traveling at a high speed, wasn't an overly violent check. It was just unfortunate that Suter's head took the brute of the impact.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
I don't even see how it was charging. Didn't leave his feet, wasn't traveling at a high speed, wasn't an overly violent check. It was just unfortunate that Suter's head took the brute of the impact.
Well, it doesn't say high speed, it says distance traveled, so I figured it was a charge; interference appears to fit, too, cause it clearly wasn't "immediate". Point I was making, in response to the other post - was that I did not think it was a legal hit.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

56.1 Interference - A strict standard on acts of interference must be adhered to in all areas of the rink.

Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Perfect example right here with Sullivan. He's wearing a new helmet to accommodate the full face protection, and then comments that it's too tight and takes some getting used to (it's called well fitted Steve). If you recall, when the arena flooded last year he noted how glad he was to be able to save his ratty old helmet from being ruined because he can't find them anymore.

Classic case of a player being more concerned with being comfortable than being safe. Not any news there, but just a local example of refusing to embrace safer equipment (well, until he got hit with the puck that is).

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Team is 4-6-1 without Suter and 27-14-7 with him.

just pointing it out

Old
02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
jlsg

Charging won't get called unless the player is striding into the hit. Tootoo was famous for this early in his career which is where he got his rep. Otherwise a player can line up the opponent from across the street, but as long as he's not full stride when he makes contact, charging usually won't get called.
Possession of the puck now includes the unwritten 3 second rule. If I pass off the puck I'm still open game for about 3 seconds without a call. Hardly ever called after a pass or shot anymore.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
roseyc

From the replay it looked like he got his elbow up into Suter's face and that's the call that should have been made and I think that's the reason for the injury. I didn't see any interference since it was so bang-bang but charging could have been called on the play. He did have a running start.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:26 PM
glenngineer

Here's a good link for the hit.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._hit_on_suter/

Listen to the commentary. Pete says Suter is a bit feisty with the hit he put on Doan. Doan is below the faceoff dot, takes three, maybe four strides from a dead stop, puts his shoulder firmly into Suter's chest. Suter had just made a play on the puck, was turning around to make another play on it and Doan took him out. There was no raised elbow. There was a massively solid hit from Doan to Suter. I hate that Suter got injured but Suter just dumped Doan into the boards, Suter had the puck, Doan got up, got some pay back. This is hockey folks. If Doan had jumped, skated really hard at Suter or elbowed him I'd be right there and say it was cheap. If you stop the video at around 29.6 game time, Suter was in a bad position, a little bent over, Doan was even bending at his knees as well, looks more like a shoulder to chin hit than anything. Suter got rocked. It happens. And looking at it one last time, Doan took a few strides after he got back up then coasted into Suter. That's not a charge, it wasn't an elbow, it was a big league check by a big boy.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
JR303

I still don't see what the big deal is. Suter got hit. Happens all the time. As a team that employees Jordin Tootoo, calling this a charge is ludicrous. (I actually appreciate what Tootoo can do, just using this as an example.)

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Listen to the commentary. Pete says Suter is a bit feisty with the hit he put on Doan. Doan is below the faceoff dot, takes three, maybe four strides from a dead stop, puts his shoulder firmly into Suter's chest. Suter had just made a play on the puck, was turning around to make another play on it and Doan took him out. There was no raised elbow. There was a massively solid hit from Doan to Suter. I hate that Suter got injured but Suter just dumped Doan into the boards, Suter had the puck, Doan got up, got some pay back. This is hockey folks. If Doan had jumped, skated really hard at Suter or elbowed him I'd be right there and say it was cheap. If you stop the video at around 29.6 game time, Suter was in a bad position, a little bent over, Doan was even bending at his knees as well, looks more like a shoulder to chin hit than anything. Suter got rocked. It happens. And looking at it one last time, Doan took a few strides after he got back up then coasted into Suter. That's not a charge, it wasn't an elbow, it was a big league check by a big boy.
Meh, I don't really see charging either, but it was definately interference. Neither was Suter in control of the puck nor did Doan attempt to play the puck, he went right after Suter. That's one of the problems in hockey, players think they can barrel through an opponent just because the puck is in his vicinity. Here's a hint, the purpose of playing hockey is to score goals, you can only do that with the puck, ignoring a puck that runs freely to take out an opponent does not get you closer to scoring.

I'm all for big hits, but players should know when to use them. Hits were meant to seperate an opponent from the puck, that was the only reason it was ever allowed in the first place. A player who has the puck somewhere between his legs without any knowledge of where exactly it is, is not a player you should hit. If you choose to ignore the puck and go after an opponent, it's as clear cut as interference can be.

Not that this was particularly vicious or dirty, but you could prevent quite a few injuries if you would teach players how to hit properly.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Here's a good link for the hit.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._hit_on_suter/

I stand corrected when I seen again there was no penalty you are correct. It's just hockey and Suter is going to be ok

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote