HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nik Hagman (Calgary)

Old
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Sounds like Lander is almost a lock to make the team next year. I also have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of a Mr. Zach Stortini. I can't help but believe he trains his nuts off this summer and redefines his role completely as an agitator. Anyone else see this?
Nope, because I doubt he gets another contract from the Oilers.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Hagman brings more than Brule, JFJ and SMac. Plus he has experience and a hot wife. Oilers have an energy 4th line, who's to say Hagman couldn't bring that? Not like Reddox or Jones are big time hitters. Plus he'd be able to move up in case of injuries.

There's absolutely no reason to claim we have to choose between our #1 pick or Hagman, that's just stupid. Oil have tons of cap room
. I just think it'd be nice to have a guy over 23 in our bottom 6...
Nothing to do with cap room, I'm speaking about roster space. There will be much better ufa options, if your looking to add age and experience.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
Nope, because I doubt he gets another contract from the Oilers.
Well, wait for the news article that will be all about how Stortini is making a huge impact for the Barons and does a great job during the playoff run. That alone may get him another 2-way next year.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Hagman brings more than Brule, JFJ and SMac. Plus he has experience and a hot wife. Oilers have an energy 4th line, who's to say Hagman couldn't bring that? Not like Reddox or Jones are big time hitters. Plus he'd be able to move up in case of injuries.

There's absolutely no reason to claim we have to choose between our #1 pick or Hagman, that's just stupid. Oil have tons of cap room. I just think it'd be nice to have a guy over 23 in our bottom 6...
Exactly. This club has 3 veteran forwards. JFJ, Cogliano, Brule, Smac do not bring much to the table to say we have a log jam at forward.

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Penner
Hagman-Horcoff-hemsky (tough minutes line).
Jones-Reddox-Brule

is a lot better than what we currently have.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jsho

Quote:
Sounds like Lander is almost a lock to make the team next year. I also have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of a Mr. Zach Stortini. I can't help but believe he trains his nuts off this summer and redefines his role completely as an agitator. Anyone else see this?
A lock to make the Oilers? Aside from some people on here thinking that where else have you seen something that would make you believe this?

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CSimpson18

Quote:
Nothing to do with cap room, I'm speaking about roster space. There will be much better ufa options, if your looking to add age and experience.
Which UFAs are you referring to? Keep in mind, Edmonton is not exactly UFA mecca. I'd rather overpay a guy for 1 year than dole out longer contracts to UFAs just to get them here (see Bulin, Khabbi or Foster, Kurtis). As for roster space, well, waive JFJ or Smac. Problem solved.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:57 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Exactly. This club has 3 veteran forwards. JFJ, Cogliano, Brule, Smac do not bring much to the table to say we have a log jam at forward.

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Penner
Jones-Reddox-Brule

people that would rather Hagman in our line-up over Omark
If the Oilers are looking to add veterans we need a chris Neil type to play on our 4th line with Reddox and Jones NOT Hagman.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Penner
Jones-Reddox-Brule

I think you have Hemmer and Penner reversed...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
A lock to make the Oilers? Aside from some people on here thinking that where else have you seen something that would make you believe this?
Originally Posted by http://dagbladet.se/sport/ishockey/t...-redo-for-nhl-
”He is ready for the NHL”
Edmonton-scout impressed by Anton Landers development

Next week icehockeys junior-worldchampionship begins. There Anton Lander will be one of Swedens key-players And Edmonton-scout Per-Erik Eklund is very satisfied with the Timrå-centers development

– I think he has taken one and a half steps forward this season. He's ready to play in the NHL already next season , but it is up to the club and himself to feel what is best for his development, says Eklund.

Related
Articlepictures

Old
02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

As opposed to the OP, I will say Hagman is soft and underachieving this year. He's not exactly a pay the price type hockey. And putting him on the 4th line is absurd. The Oilers already have wingers that can score goals. And, no he can't play on the 3rd line, can he PK? No he can't. What a waste of money this would be.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Spawn

We're set on wing right now. He's a decent hockey player but I don't know where he fits in with the direction the team is going.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Well, wait for the news article that will be all about how Stortini is making a huge impact for the Barons and does a great job during the playoff run. That alone may get him another 2-way next year.
Maybe, but I doubt it.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
ERC91

Quote:
If we are drafting Larsson, it doesn't affect us. Same goes for RNH.

Of course there might be better UFA options, question is just wether we are able to attract them.

In case we move Hemsky or Penner (which I would absolutely do: we won't be able to keep all our wingers in the future and the market is so hot this year that we could garner a maximum return) he would be a great pick-up, as he could play top6 or also 3rd line if Pääjärvi or Omark show that they can handle that.

And even if we don't trade Penner or Hemsky, he would be a hell of a pick-up for our fourth line:

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Pääjärvi - Lander - Omark
Hagman - Cogliano - Jones

And voila, we would have 3 offensive lines for our rookie talent as well as a shutdown line to put out against other teams top lines that can also score.

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Kelevra

Really what needs to happen here is a deal with the Flames. They pick up Souray on re-entry and we pick up Hagman.

Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
As opposed to the OP, I will say Hagman is soft and underachieving this year. He's not exactly a pay the price type hockey. And putting him on the 4th line is absurd. The Oilers already have wingers that can score goals. And, no he can't play on the 3rd line, can he PK? No he can't. What a waste of money this would be.
mmmm, I think you are confusing Niklas Hagman with somebody else. He´s not soft and has always been good defensively since his Dallas days.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
spot

Quote:
Maybe, but I doubt it.
yeah it's a bit of a long shot I know. I just know how Storts compete level is so high. I wouldn't entirely write him off. If He he can come back and model his game after clutterbuck (minus the goalscoring) hitting everything in sight would be a nice addition.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:06 PM
ERC91

Quote:
mmmm, I think you are confusing Niklas Hagman with somebody else. He´s not soft and has always been good defensively since his Dallas days.
I can agree here. Tbh though I have to admit that I haven't seen him often, but from what I saw he definitely isn't soft and he also seemed pretty reliable defensively.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
We're set on wing right now. He's a decent hockey player but I don't know where he fits in with the direction the team is going.
Ugh. The direction we're going is playing JFJ for another year and that makes me want to punch my cat in frustration. Get a vet that can contribute...

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:08 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
If we are drafting Larsson, it doesn't affect us. Same goes for RNH.

Of course there might be better UFA options, question is just wether we are able to attract them.

In case we move Hemsky or Penner (which I would absolutely do: we won't be able to keep all our wingers in the future and the market is so hot this year that we could garner a maximum return) he would be a great pick-up, as he could play top6 or also 3rd line if Pääjärvi or Omark show that they can handle that.

And even if we don't trade Penner or Hemsky, he would be a hell of a pick-up for our fourth line:

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Pääjärvi - Lander - Omark
Hagman - Cogliano - Jones

And voila, we would have 3 offensive lines for our rookie talent as well as a shutdown line to put out against other teams top lines that can also score.

I must remind people that we play in the Western conference. That team is so soft and weak. We would get crushed. If it was no contact then I would agree with you. Also which line is our shutdown line?

Old
02-21-2011, 01:12 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
I can agree here. Tbh though I have to admit that I haven't seen him often, but from what I saw he definitely isn't soft and he also seemed pretty reliable defensively.
I've read through quite a bit of the flames GDT's. Their seems to be quite a bit of frustration with Hagman and his "lack of effort" is that what we really want going forward? Offer the money up for Glencross, he may be inconsistent at times but we know what were getting. And unlike Hagman Glencross can play on any line.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Gusher

Since a few people are talking about Lander...

If his season ends in time perhaps he will play a few games with OKC? I'm sure he would be of help to them in the Playoffs.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:17 PM
ERC91

Quote:
I must remind people that we play in the Western conference. That team is so soft and weak. We would get crushed. If it was no contact then I would agree with you. Also which line is our shutdown line?
Adding 4th line goons doesn't help your team toughness. This season when we played with Peckham, Strudwick, Vandermeer, Stortini, MacIntyre all in one game and it didn't prevent our skill players from getting hit.

Currently we have guys such as Reddox and Fraser down there and Cogs even in our top6.
It's debatable wether we get tougher, ut we get bigger certainly.

As for the shutdown line: I consider Jones as good defensively, Hagman is hard working and good defensively and Cogs often gets said to be the next Todd Marchant. So let him prove that.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'd pick him up if I were the Oilers.

He's 6'0 210 so he's not a small player. He's 31 so he isn't that old yet. Like others have pointed out he has scored 20+ goals 3 years in a row prior to this season. He has 9 in 57 games this year but he's only played a little over 14 minutes per games so that helps explain the drop in his goals production.

He's a pretty durable player as well... having only missed a total of about 30 games over his 9 season career in the NHL. The Oilers regularly have players that miss that many games each year.

I know many will say the Oilers don't have room for him. That excuse sucks. That's the reason Grabner isn't on this team now. The Oilers stick with players like JFJ and Storts and when something decent comes along they "have no room". Keep in mind that for most of the season the Oilers have at least 2 or 3 players on IR so there is usually plenty of room on the team. Waive JFJ and there's your room.

He isn't exactly cheap at $3 million but he also is already playing in Alberta so he is likely not going to complain if he gets picked up by the Oilers. How else can the Oilers get a multiple 20 goal scorer without giving anything up?

Sure they can't trade him this season (well they actually can... he'd just be offered back to the other teams that put in claims on waivers first)... but in the off season or next season they can likely trade him as part of a bigger package for draft picks/prospects.

I think it's a low risk pickup that should be done. Management has to start seizing some of these opportunities to gradually upgrade their team and this is one very low risk way of doing so.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd pick him up if I were the Oilers.

He's 6'0 210 so he's not a small player. He's 31 so he isn't that old yet. Like others have pointed out he has scored 20+ goals 3 years in a row prior to this season. He has 9 in 57 games this year but he's only played a little over 14 minutes per games so that helps explain the drop in his goals production.

He's a pretty durable player as well... having only missed a total of about 30 games over his 9 season career in the NHL. The Oilers regularly have players that miss that many games each year.

I know many will say the Oilers don't have room for him. That excuse sucks. That's the reason Grabner isn't on this team now. The Oilers stick with players like JFJ and Storts and when something decent comes along they "have no room". Keep in mind that for most of the season the Oilers have at least 2 or 3 players on IR so there is usually plenty of room on the team. Waive JFJ and there's your room.

He isn't exactly cheap at $3 million but he also is already playing in Alberta so he is likely not going to complain if he gets picked up by the Oilers. How else can the Oilers get a multiple 20 goal scorer without giving anything up?

Sure they can't trade him this season (well they actually can... he'd just be offered back to the other teams that put in claims on waivers first)... but in the off season or next season they can likely trade him as part of a bigger package for draft picks/prospects.

I think it's a low risk pickup that should be done. Management has to start seizing some of these opportunities to gradually upgrade their team and this is one very low risk way of doing so.
You don't think Feaster already tried something similar?

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://dagbladet.se/sport/ishockey/t...-redo-for-nhl-
”He is ready for the NHL”
Edmonton-scout impressed by Anton Landers development

Next week icehockeys junior-worldchampionship begins. There Anton Lander will be one of Swedens key-players And Edmonton-scout Per-Erik Eklund is very satisfied with the Timrå-centers development

– I think he has taken one and a half steps forward this season. He's ready to play in the NHL already next season , but it is up to the club and himself to feel what is best for his development, says Eklund.

Related
Articlepictures
I can't believe people still trust Eklund.....

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote