HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray

Old
02-19-2011, 04:11 PM
bdp

vCash: 500
Yeah I'm sure Melnyk wanted all that money gone from the team just to turn around and give millions to Souray.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieghetti View Post
maybe the stupidest idea I've come across.
LOL thank you.

We already don't have enough space for our D prospects and adding an aging underachiever with an attitude problem would resolve our issues?

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Yeah I'm sure Melnyk wanted all that money gone from the team just to turn around and give millions to Souray.
It would be a few hundred thousand for the remainder of the season. Slightly more than he took on in the Elliott/Anderson swap. Next season would be 2.7M, which is not an outlandish salary by any means.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Troopa View Post
It would be a few hundred thousand for the remainder of the season. Slightly more than he took on in the Elliott/Anderson swap. Next season would be 2.7M, which is not an outlandish salary by any means.
It's also 2.7m more than we need with the current status of our blueline. Unless we're certain we can move one of Gonchar or Kuba we just don't have the space to throw another body into the mix.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:37 PM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Can all of you impatient people (you know who you are) stop trying to patch this team and come up with crazy UFA signing. WE have a BAD TEAM. Only way to fix it, is to draft well, trade well, sign a few more needed UFA's to trade at the next trade deadline.

Developp a new core and we will all be happy in about 4, 5 years

Look at 95% of the NHL, you will have to tank eventually. If you try to delay it - like the Sens last year, it only delay the inevitable.

If you don't tank, your team will be average for ever.

Before the 2005 CBA, you could pay your way to the SFC, not any more.

Managing the cap, developp your own inexpensive players (through draft or smart trade) is the only way

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Paul MacLeans stache

No thanks.

We don't need him and if the plan would be to trade him I think Edmonton would have tried to do that first..

Paul MacLeans stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Golden_Jet

That's a terrible idea, the scouts are saying he sucks in the AHL, he has an attitude problem. No way and he is worth nothing and I don't think you can put him on waivers again.

Golden_Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Can all of you impatient people (you know who you are) stop trying to patch this team and come up with crazy UFA signing. WE have a BAD TEAM. Only way to fix it, is to draft well, trade well, sign a few more needed UFA's to trade at the next trade deadline.

Developp a new core and we will all be happy in about 4, 5 years

Look at 95% of the NHL, you will have to tank eventually. If you try to delay it - like the Sens last year, it only delay the inevitable.

If you don't tank, your team will be average for ever.

Before the 2005 CBA, you could pay your way to the SFC, not any more.

Managing the cap, developp your own inexpensive players (through draft or smart trade) is the only way
Like the SENS last year? We made the playoffs in the 5 spot. May not have been pretty, may not have done jack with it but ill take 6 games in late April over season long frustration every time.

And I'm not sure where your pulling the 95% from. Detroit, never tanked. Nashville, never tanked. Vancouver, tanked 10 years ago. Dallas, never tanked. Boston, never tanked... Teams that are the top of the league and have done it without 'tanking,' as everyone so loosely throws around.

On the other hand teams that are near the bottom of the league but have 'tanked'- Columbus always tanked. Atlanta, always tanked. Florida, always tanked. NYI always tanked. STL, always tanked. LA, always tanked. TOR, always tanked. Where has it gotten them?

The reality is only 1 team has truly succesfully 'tanked' and that's the penguins. WAS hasn't gone anywhere in the playoffs yet so I'm reluctant to attribute any success to their 'tank.' TB we'll wait and see but they really are only over the top because of one 'tank' owing player in Stamkos. CHI sure, but a 'tank' obviously has not afforded them any level of sustained success.

And then throw in the fact that even if you are picking in the top four there is still no guarantee whatsoever that the chosen player will be as impactful as everyone here assumes.

Moral of the story. Draft picks generally are the way to go, yes. Buut the idea of a 'tank' as the only route to sustainable high end success is total bs. There are way more factors at work.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 07:41 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
Like the SENS last year? We made the playoffs in the 5 spot. May not have been pretty, may not have done jack with it but ill take 6 games in late April over season long frustration every time.

And I'm not sure where your pulling the 95% from. Detroit, never tanked. Nashville, never tanked. Vancouver, tanked 10 years ago. Dallas, never tanked. Boston, never tanked... Teams that are the top of the league and have done it without 'tanking,' as everyone so loosely throws around.

On the other hand teams that are near the bottom of the league but have 'tanked'- Columbus always tanked. Atlanta, always tanked. Florida, always tanked. NYI always tanked. STL, always tanked. LA, always tanked. TOR, always tanked. Where has it gotten them?

The reality is only 1 team has truly succesfully 'tanked' and that's the penguins. WAS hasn't gone anywhere in the playoffs yet so I'm reluctant to attribute any success to their 'tank.' TB we'll wait and see but they really are only over the top because of one 'tank' owing player in Stamkos. CHI sure, but a 'tank' obviously has not afforded them any level of sustained success.

And then throw in the fact that even if you are picking in the top four there is still no guarantee whatsoever that the chosen player will be as impactful as everyone here assumes.

Moral of the story. Draft picks generally are the way to go, yes. Buut the idea of a 'tank' as the only route to sustainable high end success is total bs. There are way more factors at work.
Most teams on the top in one way or another have had some sort of tanking.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Most teams on the top in one way or another have had some sort of tanking.
Most teams on the bottom too...

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

To be clear, I want Souray only to try to help the rebuild. I think he can be turned into a decent asset next year if he comes back around. Look what Kaberle just got, and if Souray gets back to his old form, he's a 50-60 point d-man. There are only a handful of guys like that in the league. If he sucks, oh well. It's not like we're going for the president's trophy next year.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:45 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
Most teams on the bottom too...
No not really it takes years of bad hockey intill your a contender again.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Kanataboy68

C-a-n-c-e-r

Kanataboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:31 PM
jmor
Sens and Jets

Really can't see Murray bringing in any sort of potential locker room trouble

jmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:50 PM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

No thanks Ottawa needs to get younger.

Look for a D-man 24 not 34.

+ 1 with a good attitude & who is less expensive........

ZekeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Very simple answer. If Souray was on the Sens right now.......would Murray be looking to dump his contract for any return? Darn tootin he would. So why in the world would you pick him up on waivers? He has absolutely no role to play on the Sens during a rebuild.

Kickabrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:00 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
Very simple answer. If Souray was on the Sens right now.......would Murray be looking to dump his contract for any return? Darn tootin he would. So why in the world would you pick him up on waivers? He has absolutely no role to play on the Sens during a rebuild.
You know, we just don't use the words darn tootin very much any more & it's a darn shame.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Skipee

Absolutely do not want. One of the worst ideas in the history of this forum. And this is worse than a long list of posts from The Fuhr.

Skipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
yeah, let's not go there, lol.

Even if I made the same suggestion a year ago. Blinded by my ignorance, I was.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Paul MacLeans stache

You have to ask yourself, if we played Souray next season, who doesn't get a shot at the big shot? I think we are better off playing Rundblad or Cowen than playing Souray for a season hoping to dump him at the end of next season for a pick. Makes no sense.

Paul MacLeans stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Pitlick*

Sens claim Souray...

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/lists/hockey

...was a good player 5 years ago, but have no interest now, he clears waivers.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
playasRus

Scared me jerk

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote