HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson up, Oberg down

Old
02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
Only 4 recalls after the trade deadline. Doubt they burn one unless absolutely necessary
Better to keep a spare D than a spare F in this case.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Why hopefully? Oreskovich has looked useless out there. No idea why his audition has lasted as long as it has.
Because Tambo has been worse over the past 20 or so games. He's a great 13th forward because with an injury he can slot in on lines 1-3 decently. But he's been awful on the fourth line, too small to forecheck well and buzzes around the outside creating nothing. I thought Oreskovich after his first game settled in and looked better tbh.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Reign Nateo

So far Hodgson has looked like the best 4th line C we've had this year. Naturally he should be on the roster. He's a smart kid and with PP time I see no issues with ice-time. A lot of youngsters are brought in on the 4th line. They don't have to jump right into a scoring role. He was looking better and better when he was up and could be the answer there.

Oreskovich has looked a bit restrained out there like he doesn't want to make a mistake, but he labels people when he hits, packs a whallop and could just need some time to settle into a role. Much better option than Volpatti in that role already. At least he's got some size to him. It's all about your 4th line being tough to play against, and with Glass' effort, Hodgson's smarts and Oreskovich's physicality, this could be that type of line.

Looks like they're trying to develop a 4th line down the stretch.

Everyone wants Reasoner, but he's slow, I'd be willing to bet that if Hodgson started camp healthy and on the Panthers' roster, he'd be doing a lot better than Reasoner's 25 points in 18 minutes and night and PP time. There is literally nothing in that forward group past Weiss and Booth. Sometimes the grass isn't greener. Experience would be nice, but no point giving up a good asset for a hole we may be able to fill in house. I'm sure Marty Reasoner over Hodgson isn't going to hinder us at all come playoff time.

Unless you think those 8 points in 23 playoff games back at the turn of the decade is going to make the difference...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:35 PM
VanEric

I haven't been overly impressed with Oreskovich but lets see him with an actual centre on that line. A lot of the times the centre needs to put the puck in an area to create an opportunity for a hit. Hodgson's been able to do that in his limited time here.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:39 PM
IKEA

i'd really enjoy if reasoner does become a canuck

imagine a fourth line as hodgson - reasoner - glass in the playoffs

sure hodgson wouldn't get that much ice time, but hopefully some time on the 2nd PP unit. + the playing in a playoff atmosphere will hopefully be beneficial in his development (ala Subban).

IKEA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
I actually thought Oberg looked pretty decent in his short stint, which was surprising. First promising sign I've seen from him since his first camp in Vancouver. Hopefully he gets some confidence in his game down in Manitoba.

Also glad to see Hodgson back up. He looked quite good on the fourth line and they actually generated some zone pressure with him helping out. Also(IMO) confirms what some of us suspected when Hodgson was initially sent down--that it was a cap related move.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
rye&ginger

Oreskovich has looked better over time. So many players look great in their first 1-3 games then fizzle out, maybe he needs time to settle. His skating is great.

Hodgson still have the cage? He will be even better without it.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Oreskovich has looked better over time. So many players look great in their first 1-3 games then fizzle out, maybe he needs time to settle. His skating is great.

Hodgson still have the cage? He will be even better without it.
I believe he has to wear the cage for a few more weeks, at least, if I'm not mistaken...

Old
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Frank View Post
So was the plan to keep Hodgson on the 4th line? He was only sent down because of cap space? I thought it was due to playing higher minutes with the moose.
Pretty sure plan A was to have Hodgson play more minutes with the Moose but the 4th line hasn't been working out. So this is plan B.

02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I believe he has to wear the cage for a few more weeks, at least, if I'm not mistaken...
He's gone back to a visor in Manitoba but I'm not sure if there are different rules/protocols in the NHL.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Pfft, what's the worst that could...oh, right.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I am guessing that the Canucks believe Ballard will be back before the trade deadline and they can then send down Oreskovich, have one spare D (Sauve), and still have 4 recalls available after the trade deadline.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
VanEric

Quote:
benkuzma

Here's a thought. Hodgson sent to Moose to get more ice time. Suddenly back up with three home dates before trade deadline. Showcase? Hmmm.
Really, Kuzma? REALLY? That's why you think he was brought back up. I expect more out of my sports reporters.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Really, Kuzma? REALLY? That's why you think he was brought back up. I expect more out of my sports reporters.
Then you don't know our sports reporters, they're awful. Kuzma typically is one of the better ones but that's not saying much. Overall my expectations for them are pretty low. Only worse ones out there are out of Toronto.

The only reason to follow our reporters are for news on injuries, movement, etc. Any "articles" from them are purely a waste of time. IIRC it took Wetcoaster e-mailing The Province/Sun editors before our reporters finally quit making ***** of themselves and learned a bit about the CBA and salary cap.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
No kidding; talk about the definition of 'selling low'. And it's not like we have a ton of Hodgson-level prospects in the system.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:06 PM
xtr3m

Well, it's just a thought and it's twitter. But, yeah, still silly.

Ballard is skating with the team right now (watch live on CDC). Looks like Thursday is realistic.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

I think Kuzma was on the right thread, but came to the wrong conclusion.

I think the Canucks are taking one last look at what Hodgson can do on that fourth line before they make a judgement call about whether or not to bring in a new body. I don't think any of the experiments they've played with(Bolduc, Bliznak, Perreault, Tambellini, Glass, the kitchen sink) have particularly blown them away to this stage. Hodgson has probably been the best of the bunch.

Although I think we may be closer to a minor deal than we realize. In that interview with Gillis, he says this:

Quote:
"We've tried different things and it's not out of the realm," Gillis said of a fourth-line fix. "There's a possibility of something coming our way that we think can help us. Right now, my feeling is that it would be a very minor type of trade, if at all. I'm very confident in this group. You really run the risk when you like your team and they all like one another, play hard and hold each other accountable."

Old
02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Kaesar

I think Hodgson was sent down for cap reasons. They weren't going to put Hamhuis on LITR but they needed to bring up a defensive replacement. So they had to send Hodgson down in order to save money.

If we don't get any more injuries to the defense I think Hodgson will stay.

Kaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I think Kuzma was on the right thread, but came to the wrong conclusion.

I think the Canucks are taking one last look at what Hodgson can do on that fourth line before they make a judgement call about whether or not to bring in a new body. I don't think any of the experiments they've played with(Bolduc, Bliznak, Perreault, Tambellini, Glass, the kitchen sink) have particularly blown them away to this stage. Hodgson has probably been the best of the bunch.

Although I think we may be closer to a minor deal than we realize. In that interview with Gillis, he says this:
Ya there's no way we're "showcasing" Hodgson now... and even if the Canucks were thinking of moving him every NHL team knows who Cody Hodgson is.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:48 PM
galiano

Hodgson is the answer as the fourth line centre plus given the opportunity, he can run the second unit power play which at times has looked useless.

Great news to have Hodgson back up with the big club.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
canada1824

Send a message via Skype™ to canada1824
I don't think we're going to trade for a 4th line centre, there just isn't the price or the cap room to do it really realistically. We can, but you're just as able to burn the Koran.

canada1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
KDizzle

Is he still wearing a cage?

I don't really know how much it impacts vision on the ice and things, but it would be interesting to see if he'd look better without the cage.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post

I don't really know how much it impacts vision on the ice and things, but it would be interesting to see if he'd look better without the cage.
No the cage is gone. He's just wearing a visor now.

edler von real gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post

You're such a puck bunny.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:05 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
You're such a puck bunny.

how about this:

It would be interesting to see if his vision on the ice and his playmaking ability would improve given the lack of a cage. That and it would be nice to finally see those pearly whites and deep azure eyes.

Damnit.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote