HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund trade rumour thread v4.0: 'Dude where's my trade' edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
I see. And that Eklund fella is a category of his own?
Yes he is, unfortunately I'm too nice of a guy to tell you the name of that category.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Swe_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
In my opinion it's way too hard to get a big body top 6 player that can score without giving up a lot. You need to draft those players and develop them. But I still think it's possible to get bigger in the bottom 6 without giving up too much.

The only thing I'd do at the deadline is if the oppurtunity comes up to move Kostitsyn or Gomez (if another center somehow comesback) we do it. That's it.
he he... yeah like that's gonna happen. Somehow this team want to add to their cap, while getting worse in the process.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
In my opinion it's way too hard to get a big body top 6 player that can score without giving up a lot. You need to draft those players and develop them. But I still think it's possible to get bigger in the bottom 6 without giving up too much.

The only thing I'd do at the deadline is if the oppurtunity comes up to move Kostitsyn or Gomez (if another center somehow comesback) we do it. That's it.
Understood, but maybe that needs to happen. You have to give to get.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Understood, but maybe that needs to happen. You have to give to get.
But if giving up alot doesn't make you that much better even with the addition of that top 6, what did you really accomplish?

It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...

Old
02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
sampollock

and the beat goes on, eck is updating the la drama soon

Old
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
and the beat goes on, eck is updating the la drama soon
You can choose not to read it if you wish...

Old
02-21-2011, 02:28 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
But if giving up alot doesn't make you that much better even with the addition of that top 6, what did you really accomplish?

It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...
This is where good scouting comes into play. You have to make calculated risks. Can't remember the last time this team has done this. I see a lot of "safe" trades here...actually the Gomez one was a calculated risk and well....it doesn't look like it was a good one, but I'm not that bothered by it cuz I understand what the team was trying to do.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
You can choose not to read it if you wish...
What's funny is that most people who make fun of him are the 1st to check his site and then post making fun of him

Old
02-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
This is where good scouting comes into play. You have to make calculated risks. Can't remember the last time this team has done this. I see a lot of "safe" trades here...actually the Gomez one was a calculated risk and well....it doesn't look like it was a good one, but I'm not that bothered by it cuz I understand what the team was trying to do.
Agreed...not to get into another debate here, but if Ryan McDonagh is what the Habs lost by trying to upgrade their center position, oh well...I can live with that.

As for the rest, I agree...make calculated risks, but is right now the time where the habs should be taking that risk?

When you step away from the current drama and performance of the team, I think from an organizational growth standpoint, the Habs have to be extremely happy with how the season has gone so far. The young players have really stepped in and claimed a spot on the habs and have had a say into where the habs are positionned this year, especially when you consider the Habs are missing their best and most influential player in Andrei Markov.

However, the veterans on this this team this year...have largely disapointed, they need more from not only Gomez, but Gionta, Cammalleri, and yes...even Plekanec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
What's funny is that most people who make fun of him are the 1st to check his site and then post making fun of him
It's because deep down inside, they hope what he's writing comes true....

Old
02-21-2011, 02:44 PM
guest1467

Quote:
It's because deep down inside, they hope what he's writing comes true....
Or they wish they had their own successful hockey rumours website.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:

I agree with this. With so much of our important pieces gone for the year on D, it would cost too much for us to contend. Any trades PG makes should be made with the future in mind rather than the present. With what has been traded so far for Versteeg, Fisher, etc, and what is rumoured for Penner, Hemsky, etc, I really think we should unload Kostitsyn. And this is coming from a fan of Kostitsyn. The fresh start would do him good. The first and prospect or one for one player return would has to still be here next year to help us. Goat, just don't go get a 5th and a Festerling or someone who is 3-4-5 years away from playing on our 4th line.

As for Gomez, if anyone wants to give us anything for him, I'd take it. Even if it's a player who is 3-4-5 years away from playing on our 4th line. If we have to play the rest of the year with Pleks/DD/Eller/Halpern down the middle, I'm fine with that.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Swe_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I agree with this. With so much of our important pieces gone for the year on D, it would cost too much for us to contend. Any trades PG makes should be made with the future in mind rather than the present. With what has been traded so far for Versteeg, Fisher, etc, and what is rumoured for Penner, Hemsky, etc, I really think we should unload Kostitsyn. And this is coming from a fan of Kostitsyn. The fresh start would do him good. The first and prospect or one for one player return would has to still be here next year to help us. Goat, just don't go get a 5th and a Festerling or someone who is 3-4-5 years away from playing on our 4th line.

As for Gomez, if anyone wants to give us anything for him, I'd take it. Even if it's a player who is 3-4-5 years away from playing on our 4th line. If we have to play the rest of the year with Pleks/DD/Eller/Halpern down the middle, I'm fine with that.
I also would like to shed Gomez 7,35 mil cap hit. Assuming any team is stupid enough to go through with this there are however obvious problems with this reasoning. For one: how do we replace him? The only really good center available through free agency this summer i Richards (whom have already turned us down once). Other than that the only ones that are interesting are Backes and Connolly (even though he's quite the gamble due to his history of injuries).

So if the FA-market is not an option. What do we do then? Hope that Eller will have a bigger impact next season and can fill the 2nd line center position, or that Leblanc will be ready?

Old
02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Belso

Ok I've been checking all day. Really Dude, where's my trade!?

Old
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_hab View Post
I also would like to shed Gomez 7,35 mil cap hit. Assuming any team is stupid enough to go through with this there are however obvious problems with this reasoning. For one: how do we replace him? The only really good center available through free agency this summer i Richards (whom have already turned us down once). Other than that the only ones that are interesting are Backes and Connolly (even though he's quite the gamble due to his history of injuries).

So if the FA-market is not an option. What do we do then? Hope that Eller will have a bigger impact next season and can fill the 2nd line center position, or that Leblanc will be ready?
So we have to replace him in July. I'm thinking hold on to that cap space and wait a while. We might be able to get someone in November or December to fill that spot on the cheap if a team is looking to make a trade to fill another need.

Sort of like this:
Team A has a center prospect that develops ahead of schedule and they need a D.
Team B has excess D but no cap room and no need for another C.
Habs have tons of cap room and offer less than value for the center to team A.

There are plenty of teams every year who would like to make a salary dump. If we hang on to it, we may be able to fill it at a later date for a cheaper price. In the meantime, we let Eller and DD be 2a and 2b.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Swe_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
So we have to replace him in July. I'm thinking hold on to that cap space and wait a while. We might be able to get someone in November or December to fill that spot on the cheap if a team is looking to make a trade to fill another need.

Sort of like this:
Team A has a center prospect that develops ahead of schedule and they need a D.
Team B has excess D but no cap room and no need for another C.
Habs have tons of cap room and offer less than value for the center to team A.

There are plenty of teams every year who would like to make a salary dump. If we hang on to it, we may be able to fill it at a later date for a cheaper price. In the meantime, we let Eller and DD be 2a and 2b.
By that time we might however have ruined the whole season. Not saying that Gomez is integral to our team with the form he is in currently, but he does fill some needs. One of them being that he is pretty much the only guy that can transport the puck from our end to the offensive zone (Subban is showing some great signs of improvement in this area, though).

Old
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_hab View Post
By that time we might however have ruined the whole season. Not saying that Gomez is integral to our team with the form he is in currently, but he does fill some needs. One of them being that he is pretty much the only guy that can transport the puck from our end to the offensive zone (Subban is showing some great signs of improvement in this area, though).
A series of quick passes moves the puck up the ice a lot quicker than a player moving it up. I think too much emphasis is placed on a puck carrier of this type. In 2008 when we finished first, oposing teams said that we had the fastest team to play against. Not because the players were the fastest, but they moved the puck up quickly with a couple of quick passes which gave the opposing team hardley any time to adjust. We also finished with the most goals that year. I know Carbo was the coach and not Martin but that is not that great of an adjustment for Martin to do. Plus next year, Markov and Gorges should be back which would help a lot for this.

The other choice is to stay the course, and hope we finish 7-8 again. Would you rather take a chance.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Agreed...not to get into another debate here, but if Ryan McDonagh is what the Habs lost by trying to upgrade their center position, oh well...I can live with that.

As for the rest, I agree...make calculated risks, but is right now the time where the habs should be taking that risk?

When you step away from the current drama and performance of the team, I think from an organizational growth standpoint, the Habs have to be extremely happy with how the season has gone so far. The young players have really stepped in and claimed a spot on the habs and have had a say into where the habs are positionned this year, especially when you consider the Habs are missing their best and most influential player in Andrei Markov.

However, the veterans on this this team this year...have largely disapointed, they need more from not only Gomez, but Gionta, Cammalleri, and yes...even Plekanec.
I don't think you build your team through the trade deadline. However, I think you can make a trade or two that can pay dividends not just this year, but the year after, and the year after that. What I mean is, there are some non-ufa's available.

I have been calling for moves for some time now...and I think moves will need to be made for the next year or 2 years to get the team to where it needs to be. Habs have a lot of depth, but not a lot of "good" depth if you know what I mean. I just don't know if Gainey and Gauthier are the right guys for this task. I guess we'll see.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
FeelsLike93

I'm fine with Pleks-DD-Eller-Halpern down the middle too give DD and Eller playoff experience and if we don't win the cup it doesn't matter because everybody knows with the injuries to our defense it wasn't going to happen. If there's a chance to get rid of Gomez you get rid of him. Give Desharnais a full shot next year knowing HE'S the guy for the 2nd line and see how it goes, take a risk.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Do we have any 5th round picks left, or has Sam Pollock used them all up? Those 5th's are like gold I tell you, very powerful indeed...

Look out world, here we come.
I think we should keep out 5ths and trade away 6ths. We have too many 666s. Seems like were cursed.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
sammy d

DD as our 2nd line center is a disaster waiting to happen, you can't win without size down the middle ala Pittsburgh. With DD as our 2nd line center we'd be the laughing stock of the league and beat severely playing big teams. Not that Gomez is much bigger but he has experience and wheels which DD does not.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
sheed36

Ek's Habs rumor tonight.. Phillips involved..

Quote:
On Phillips...

I have now talked to three sources in the last few hours who are convinced Chris Phillips will not only waive his No Trade, he will do so to accept a trade to the neighboring Canadiens after which he will return to Ottawa this summer.

There are rumors the Habs were in on Kaberle as well as Goligoski and are now firmly entrenched in an attempt to land Phillips. Must admit, the trade makes a ton of sense.

The Rangers also like Phillips, but I do believe in the end Montreal lands him
The part I bolded in the EK quote is why I don't want the Habs to give up assets for a player that as no intention of re-signing here..

Old
02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post

The part I bolded in the EK quote is why I don't want the Habs to give up assets for a player that as no intention of re-signing here..
This is the part I don't get. Besides the obvious collusion suggested by this story, there's another side here. If Phillips waived his NTC and went to any other team, why on earth would he want to resign with the team that forced him out of his NTC?

I mean, if thats not bad enough, you'd want to return to a team that is in rebuilding mode, when as a free agent you can go enjoy life just about anywhere you want in his position?

These rumors are just ... lame now.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post

Who the fk is Ecklund, Chris Phillips? Where did he get that info. This only adds to my incredulity.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:14 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
why on earth would he want to resign with the team that forced him out of his NTC?
Why? Because his team, Ottawa, would get something in return for a month and a half worth of games. And then, Chris goes back to Ottawa like nothing happened, but the key is Ottawa is one prospect/pick richer and Montreal (a division rival) is down a prospect/pick. Who wouldn't do the same?

Old
02-22-2011, 12:20 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Or they wish they had their own successful hockey rumours website.
I agree with that other fellow...I look at Ecklund cuz I am a hockey fan and just hope some of the things he posts become true...even though nothing I have ever read has. Vokoun to Montreal earlier in the year, Brown and Simmonds last week...some of this **** if laughable..

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 02-22-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Closed Thread