02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Niklas Hagman, UPDATE: Clears

Quote:
CGY puts Niklas Hagman on waivers. EDM's Sheldon Souray clears re-entry waivers
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Last edited by StreakingRed: 02-22-2011 at 12:48 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
...meh

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:38 PM
DBU
Bars for Eons

vCash: 50
Can't say I'm surprised. Or disappointed.

Bouma's better for what Hagman's doing right now anyways.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Well, so much for my "he's playing while injured" theory...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Don't really understand putting Hagman on waivers. I assume it was done to clear salary, but why not just trade him? I am pretty sure Feaster could of found a team that would be willing to part with at least a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. That has the same effect of putting him on waivers and at least you get an asset for him. I think he will get claimed from someone.

The Phaneuf trade is looking better and better.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
I'm pretty sure if Feaster could have found someone to take him for future considerations he'd have already done so.

Fact is nobody's that keen on paying $3 million for Hagmans play of late.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Wasn't expecting Hagman to be put on waivers, have to wonder if there's more to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post

Good riddance to Phaneuf.

The return wasn't good, but trading him was the right thing to do.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:12 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Don't really understand putting Hagman on waivers. I assume it was done to clear salary, but why not just trade him? I am pretty sure Feaster could of found a team that would be willing to part with at least a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. That has the same effect of putting him on waivers and at least you get an asset for him. I think he will get claimed from someone.

Well, it's pretty obvious if someone would have given up a draft pick for him, feaster would have done that.

Hagman is due $3M next season. That's why his value is zero (or perhaps below zero, if no one claims him).

If he had an expiring contract, he would have been worth a draft pick of some sort.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:15 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Feaster could just be freeing up cap space so the flames have some flexibility if the choose to make a move before or at the deadline.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Wasn't expecting Hagman to be put on waivers, have to wonder if there's more to this.

No matter how you hate Phaneuf...that was a terrible deal by Sutter. Phaneuf had some value at the time.

Basically other than Babchuk for this year we got nothing except an overpaid Stajan...I wouldnt be surprised if they put Stajan on waiver and nobody would claim him.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Flames 1st pick

Unless he got another deal. This is a stupid move by Feaster...why shake up something when the team is doing well.

Understand that Hagman is struggling but he has more skills than anybody else in the farm.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
robmneilson

I'm surprised he is being waved, but with his contract I doubt anyone will take him. I wonder what Feaster has up his sleeve for the deadline?

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
haQ Loob

*Eklund* says that Nashville wants Hagman, but I guess they weren't willing to part with any assets (aside from $3M next season) to get him, if it's the truth.

Any chance we need the room because Langkow is healthy? And where would he fit if he is?

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post

Any chance we need the room because Langkow is healthy? And where would he fit if he is?
Langkow is no where near to playing.

He should be filing for retirement

Old
02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

salary clearing move before deadline

Chessarmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Langkow is no where near to playing.

He should be filing for retirement
Yup... I would be surprised is Langkow was back ever... and the chances are next to zero for this season, he is not even skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
salary clearing move before deadline
I agree, I was surprised to hear Hagman was waived but Feaster has been making a habit of waiving... sure he has a move up his sleeve... if so I hope it is not disruptive to the good karma that is surrounding the Flames these days.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post
*Eklund* says that Nashville wants Hagman, but I guess they weren't willing to part with any assets (aside from $3M next season) to get him, if it's the truth.

Langkow isn't even cleared to skate

as for waiving Hagman it doesn't make alot of sense to me at all... you don't just give guys away that are useful whether they are not performing to their contract or not when you have the cap space to acquire a $4+ million player already

the only way this makes sense is if there is a big more coming and the other team is not willing to take salary back

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:38 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Yup... I would be surprised is Langkow was back ever... and the chances are next to zero for this season, he is not even skating.

I agree, I was surprised to hear Hagman was waived but Feaster has been making a habit of waiving... sure he has a move up his sleeve... if so I hope it is not disruptive to the good karma that is surrounding the Flames these days.
Hagman doesn't strike me as one of those 'glue' players; considering he brings almost nothing offensively anymore and most nights he's invisible aside from one shift where he takes a non-threatening shot, this doesn't surprise me. Feaster is making good on his promise to give younger guys a shot; wouldn't surprise me if Nemisz is called up soon, he's having a good year in Abbotsford. Personally, I think the Flames really responded well when Bouma came up and injected some enthusiasm into the lineup. I can see the same thing happening with Nemisz.

Farewell Captain Clutch; I'll always remember you going goalless in like 18 straight games down the stretch, but then when we played Vancouver in the last game and they were activating both defensemen to held Henrik get the scoring title, you managed to score twice and look very pleased with yourself.

For these reasons and more, I feel comfortable sending along this message: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGz3uyCNZCM

Embed doesn't work for me, sorry.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I'm sure that Feaster put some calls out there about Hagman, I just find it hard to believe that not a single team in the NHL would not give up something for this guy. He is still a pretty serviceable forward and would be a good fit on alot of teams. Seriously getting a 7th round pick is better than losing him to the waiver wire for nothing.

I'm know this is common to say after a move is done, but this move in particular has to mean a larger move is in the works. Hagman's play was not hurting this team in any way, if no move was going to made it would of just made sense to let him play out the season on our roster. The only way this makes any sense at all, is that it was done to clear cap space. Something else must be in the works and I expect it to be very soon.

Quote:

Absolutely, we are much better off with him not on this team any more. The trade that we got was very poor.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hagman doesn't strike me as one of those 'glue' players; considering he brings almost nothing offensively anymore and most nights he's invisible aside from one shift where he takes a non-threatening shot, this doesn't surprise me. Feaster is making good on his promise to give younger guys a shot; wouldn't surprise me if Nemisz is called up soon, he's having a good year in Abbotsford. Personally, I think the Flames really responded well when Bouma came up and injected some enthusiasm into the lineup. I can see the same thing happening with Nemisz.
The Flames is in the playoff competition. No matter what Hagman is still better than anybody in the farm at this point.

like I said before, unless he has another deal, this is a stupid move by Feaster. If they missed the playoff...we can look back at this move.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

How is Hagman better than anybody on the farm? He's playing on the 4th line and (at least in my eyes) hasn't contributed much of anything (if anything?) to the current play of the Flames. Bouma came, played a few games and was more noticeable in those games than Hagman has been much of the season.

That said, I was hoping to see Hagman traded instead of waived... but maybe Feaster is cookin' a something up.

Janko Unchained is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:23 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
The Flames is in the playoff competition. No matter what Hagman is still better than anybody in the farm at this point.

like I said before, unless he has another deal, this is a stupid move by Feaster. If they missed the playoff...we can look back at this move.
But that's just it, he isn't better than anybody on the farm; the line of Backlund-Bouma-Kostopolous was far more effective in its brief tenure than Backlund-Hagman-Kostopolous. And Hagman hasn't been put in an offensive role at all this season. If all he's doing is playing a bit role on the fourth line, and being outplayed by Bouma, he doesn't belong on this team.

And don't be ridiculous; if the Flames don't make the playoffs, it won't be because they waived Nik ****ing Hagman. It'll be because they were a lottery team for the first half of the year.

With that being said, I think it's pretty clear that waiving Hagman literally the morning after the Heritage game signals that its a move that has been in place for a few days now, but Feaster's a classy guy and didn't want to ship someone out before the outdoor game with the team turning it around as much as it has. I'm fine with that. I think now is when you see the Flames do their business.

On the Fan last night, one of the guys said 'you make a trade when things are going well, because that's when values are highest; you be happy that guys are playing well, but you have to remember how certain people weren't there for you when things were rough.' I have to believe Feaster is taking this kind of approach now, and the next week should bear that out.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Lunatik*

the narrowminded idiocy on this board makes me ****ing sick... farm players better than Hagman? if you think any famr playersa re going to jump into out lineup and out produce Hagman you need to put the crack pipe down... even our best prospect in backlund isn't out performing Hagman

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
illone84

Niklas Hagman has been useless this season.
It seems that he was putting up some points in the first half of the season when the team was doing bad, but only getting points when the team was losing big time with no chance to come back in the game.

I would personally put LB on the 4th line than Hags.

I mean, he does have some talent, but it is wasted on the 4th line.

Maybe the Flames can get a 3rd, 4th rounder for him.

Either way, I say get this this guy off the team.

illone84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
And don't be ridiculous; if the Flames don't make the playoffs, it won't be because they waived Nik ****ing Hagman. It'll be because they were a lottery team for the first half of the year.

No kidding.

That was one of the dumbest things I've read on this site in a long time. Thanks for quoting it or I would have never seen it.