HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards top FA Team Choices

Old
02-21-2011, 10:00 AM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Rumour has it, Brad has alot of money, but would like to win another Cup...hence the no on going to TO....no matter what the offer would be...veteran guys like this want nothing to do with a rebuild or te-tool....
Then the Rangers seem like the best bet as far as a team that is willing to pay, will have the cap room, a superstar (Gaborik) to play next to, a championship type goalie (Lundqvist) and have enough emerging young cheap players to create depth.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:12 AM
tokenmetalhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../17341466.html

also up on ESPN Rumor Central (for ESPN Insiders):
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/featu...tures%2frumors

From STEVE SIMMONS, Toronto Sun

on Toronto:

sorry Leafs' fans.

So we have:

1. Dallas
2. Tampa Bay
3. NY Rangers
4. Carolina?

Looks like he'll be on the Rangers IF he's an UFA this summer.

Steve Simmons is one of the biggest hacks in Toronto's sports media. You want to know why Toronto's media gets criticized all the time for being over-the-top and nonsensical, this is one of those guys. One of the main culprits. I am 110% certain he has no sources on this. He writes sensationalist garbage to piss off readers and this is how he's kept a job for 20+ years as a writer here. It's also a reason why after 20+ years, he still has no real insider connections. Do not use a name like Steve Simmons when using a newspaper article to predict what will or won't happen.

Last I heard, Richards said Toronto would be a dream destination. That is a quote (or close to word-for-word as it gets) from the horse's mouth. I'm not saying Richards will end up in Toronto, but no one knows where he will end up. Least of all, Steve "The National Enquirer wouldn't hire me" Simmons.

tokenmetalhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:16 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenmetalhead View Post
Steve Simmons is one of the biggest hacks in Toronto's sports media. You want to know why Toronto's media gets criticized all the time for being over-the-top and nonsensical, this is one of those guys. One of the main culprits. I am 110% certain he has no sources on this. He writes sensationalist garbage to piss off readers and this is how he's kept a job for 20+ years as a writer here. It's also a reason why after 20+ years, he still has no real insider connections. Do not use a name like Steve Simmons when using a newspaper article to predict what will or won't happen.

Last I heard, Richards said Toronto would be a dream destination. That is a quote (or close to word-for-word as it gets) from the horse's mouth. I'm not saying Richards will end up in Toronto, but no one knows where he will end up. Least of all, Steve "The National Enquirer wouldn't hire me" Simmons.
Really? And where did you hear "Toronto would be a dream destination" from? No links? Don't remember where you heard it? Oh ok. We'll just take your word for it then.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Really? And where did you hear "Toronto would be a dream destination" from? No links? Don't remember where you heard it? Oh ok. We'll just take your word for it then.
Did someone from the Maple Leafs organization refuse to give you an autograph at some point in your life?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I think if he doesnt get traded he stays in Dallas or goes back to Tampa. I dont think anybody else has a chance.

Drouin2Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Did someone from the Maple Leafs organization refuse to give you an autograph at some point in your life?
I guess we'll just take his word on it then.

The journalist is a known liar (unless hes saying something good about the Leafs, then his word is as good as gold). And Brad Richards has said going to Toronto would be a dream, although there is no documentation of this ever happening.

I'm sorry I didn't understand that at first. I've come to my senses now.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
jmwc95

If St. Louis gets their ownership situation figured out and Armstrong brings in Richards, St. Louis would have one heck of a forward group. We have TONS of cap space. In my ideal scenario they would trade Boyes for a veteran D-man, and then their forwards would look like this:

McDonald-Richards-Stewart
Perron-Berglund-Oshie
Steen-Backes-Tarasenko
Sobotka-McRae-D'agostini

That would rival Chicago of last season for deepest forward group.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinHockey View Post
Would not rule out Chicago. He wanted to play their when he got traded to Dallas. I can see him taking a discount to take a run at multiple cups with Kane and Toews
Actually, he told his GM he would use his NTC to veto a trade to Chicago because he didn't Chicago had as good of a chance to win a Cup as Dallas. Let him rot in Dallas or NYR. Don't mind the maggots, Brad.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Stats01

I just wonder where all this comes from, like how does a list come out when Richards and Dallas are fighting for a playoff spot. Does Steve Simmons go to him or his agent and ask" Ohh Brad hey buddy, just wanted to know whats your list of teams when you become a free agent" Richards:" Ohh Steve uhm, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina, NYR" Ohh yeah and screw Toronto I never wanna play there"

Just a bunch of B.S from a writer that has nothing to write about. Just pure speculation on his part. Simmons has no real insiders or connections. He writes for the freakin" Toronto Sun! That should say everything.

Until July 1st hits and his destination is figured out, Toronto has a chance, anyone who says anything else is just speculating or just trying to stir the pot, just like how Simmons did.

Toronto Sun = Sensationalism to the max.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Flameshomer

vCash: 50
Has anyone brought up the possibility of Calgary? He could be setting Jarome and Tangs' plates for the forseable future, and Feaster might offer him more money then he did last time.
Plus, with Hagman getting waived we have some more cap room and a roster spot. Common Jay, get it done!

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Ripper

Richards true wish is Toronto this summer

Steve Simmonds should stop while he's ahead, enough of the baseless articles already. Whenever I see or hear him I have begun to turn the channel.
Here's some recent info on Brad Richards and his 'wish' to play in Toronto.

From the CP via Sportsnet: November 2010

Brad Richards has made it clear that his focus remains with the Dallas Stars. But he couldn’t avoid looking ahead to an uncertain future during a rare visit to Toronto.

The veteran centre has found his name attached to trade rumours because he’s earning US$7.8 million in the final year of his contract and the team’s uncertain ownership situation has kept the sides from negotiating an extension.

There has been some speculation that the Leafs have interest in Richards, who holds a no-movement clause and seems open to the idea of playing in Canada.

“When the time comes, if that’s an option, Toronto’s always a No. 1 hockey destination,” Richards said before Monday’s game. “It would be great being a Canadian playing in Toronto, but we’re not even close to that bridge yet. And like I said, I’m focused here.

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Pro Sports Free Agency 101
Toronto has a lot of money and can raise the bids from other teams he's actually interested. His true wish is to get paid as much as possible. In the end, he'll probably take a few hundred thousand less to play for a slightly better team. He'll then go on about how there were better offers out there, but he took the deal that gave him the best chance to win.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Wonder if the Neal trade impacts this whole situation. I'd say so.

Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Jahodac

I have a feeling he is resigning in Dallas with the Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
I have a feeling he is resigning in Dallas with the Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski.
Really? It might be wishful thinking as a Ranger fan, but wouldn't you be more inclined to leave if you lose one of your top wingers?

Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

so how many leafs fans think hes playing hard to get, to get more money out of burkie

1.Dallas
2.NY
3.Tampa
4.Carolina

30.Toronto

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Gulvorn

I think he'll resign in Dallas but if he doesn't I'd have to think that he'd prefer going to a team that has upside and would allow him to play with some talent on a top line somewhere for awhile.

I don't really understand Carolina/Tampa though. Don't they already have top centers?

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:52 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
“When the time comes, if that’s an option, Toronto’s always a No. 1 hockey destination,” Richards said before Monday’s game. “It would be great being a Canadian playing in Toronto, but we’re not even close to that bridge yet. And like I said, I’m focused here."
How could you lie to us, Brad.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Tampa...?

How would that work at all?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
I think he'll resign in Dallas but if he doesn't I'd have to think that he'd prefer going to a team that has upside and would allow him to play with some talent on a top line somewhere for awhile.

I don't really understand Carolina/Tampa though. Don't they already have top centers?
Tampa's obviously to play with some of his old teammates.

Carolina...uh...you got me.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
caley

Darren Dreger seems to believe the Neal-Goligoski deal could be a precursor to Richards leaving.

Quote:
Richards and Neal are very close friends. I think Richards re-signing with Stars is a longshot.
20 minutes ago

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
tokenmetalhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Holy crap you are such an effing troll. You really should be banned, all you ever do is spend hours on here each day bashing Leaf fans with baseless hatred just to get a rise out of people online. Grow the hell up and by the way, the gentleman below was kind enough to bring up the quote that says what I said. Seeing as I can't be expected to recall the exact source within 2 minutes every time for asshats like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post

From the CP via Sportsnet: November 2010

Brad Richards has made it clear that his focus remains with the Dallas Stars. But he couldn’t avoid looking ahead to an uncertain future during a rare visit to Toronto.

The veteran centre has found his name attached to trade rumours because he’s earning US$7.8 million in the final year of his contract and the team’s uncertain ownership situation has kept the sides from negotiating an extension.

There has been some speculation that the Leafs have interest in Richards, who holds a no-movement clause and seems open to the idea of playing in Canada.

“When the time comes, if that’s an option, Toronto’s always a No. 1 hockey destination,” Richards said before Monday’s game. “It would be great being a Canadian playing in Toronto, but we’re not even close to that bridge yet. And like I said, I’m focused here.
There. That's what he said. He never said he WAS coming here, but it's pretty different than Steve Simmons' sensationalist garbage passed off as journalism "he's just not coming here because I say he said so". But this might be too difficult to wrap your head around, if so, my sincerest apologies, continue watching the Sens or Canucks and huffing glue or whatever it is those fanbases do to pass the time.

In the meantime please, fans of other hockey teams. Steve Simmons is a joke of the Toronto sports media, please do not pass off his bloggy spewage for the truth.

tokenmetalhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
Wonder if the Neal trade impacts this whole situation. I'd say so.
i was thinking the same thing, i was going to lobby for the rangers to make a move for neal to lure in richards.

oh and this
Quote:
Richards and Neal are very close friends. I think Richards re-signing with Stars is a longshot.
20 minutes ago

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Gulvorn

Well we know Richards won't be signing in Pittsburgh...otherwise they really would have the best center lineup of all time.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
i was thinking the same thing, i was going to lobby for the rangers to make a move for neal to lure in richards.

oh and this
The stars just free'd up 3 million for next season..so this trade actually makes it more likley he will re-sign

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote