HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden may leave Rangers

Old
02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Redden and Drury leaving this organization at the same time at the end of the year, would be the best thing to happen to this organization since 94.

I think I'll have to pray to the hockey gods every night for it.
Sather having all that cap space is not a good thing IMO. It is a good thing if we want to lock up Richards, but I'm just scared that he'll over-pay someone with the remaining money.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
theres no way in hell id walk away from that kinda money.

he wont even get 10% of that elsewhere.

Wait till his wife hears this one! It will be worse than if he told her they were moving to Edmonton!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:00 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Sather having all that cap space is not a good thing IMO. It is a good thing if we want to lock up Richards, but I'm just scared that he'll over-pay someone with the remaining money.
I'd rather he overpay someone who can pay hockey than Drury and Redden.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Hemsky4PM

He'll suck it up for one more season on the Whale. Then when his real contract value goes to 5M, the Rangers will put him on re-entry as a last resort. If he's not worth 2.5M to anyone, he'll have to again suck it up and play in the minors, or walk away from the contract (which the NHLPA will hate him for doing) and sign somewhere, likely for under 1M.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Almost wish the Rangers could slip some european team a few mill to sign him to a contract that would make him leave, lol

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I'm more concerned with the plight of Drury on this team right now, but Redden leaving would certainly make the summer cap situation easier.

02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

IF he walks away this could be a bad thing for the Rangers. It would give Sather money to "play with" in the free agent market and just as soon as we finally rid ourselves of a bad contract I have a funny feeling one will be boomeranged right back at us.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
IF he walks away this could be a bad thing for the Rangers. It would give Sather money to "play with" in the free agent market and just as soon as we finally rid ourselves of a bad contract I have a funny feeling one will be boomeranged right back at us.
Michael Ryder come on down.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:59 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Definitely but no matter what you really have to be a moron to walk away from what he's making no matter what the situation. That's "I have enough money for the rest of my life" cash he's talking about walking away from.
I'm not sure you can call someone else a moron for deciding that they are making a decision based on what makes them happy. Redden already has a ton of money. If he decides that he is truly unhappy in Hartford and would rather explore other options to finish his career instead of making more money, then I wouldn't say that is moronic.

The Sweetness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:03 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
How does this free up cap space again? I thought him being in Connecticut eliminate his cap hit from the Rangers roster?

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:11 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
How does this free up cap space again? I thought him being in Connecticut eliminate his cap hit from the Rangers roster?
True - however, we need to add his cap hit back every summer in the off season. So, as long as we have Redden, we can't spend to the summer cap. Which in turn means that if you want to acquire a Brad Richards, for example, you need to first clear the space you would need to have him on the roster during the regular season. Whereas, if we didn't have Redden, we'd be able to take advantage of the 10% bump in salary cap over the summer to FIRST acquire Richards (not worrying about whether or not we were over the cap) and THEN make the moves to get in compliance for the regular season.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:27 AM
TrollololBoyle

Unlike some people here, giving Sather extra capspace does not bother me at all. He's not going to make the same mistake over and over, and he's gotten much better over the years. I hate the Boogaard signing, but the Fedotenko signing and Frolov signing (though the latter did not work out) were great moves.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
True - however, we need to add his cap hit back every summer in the off season. So, as long as we have Redden, we can't spend to the summer cap. Which in turn means that if you want to acquire a Brad Richards, for example, you need to first clear the space you would need to have him on the roster during the regular season. Whereas, if we didn't have Redden, we'd be able to take advantage of the 10% bump in salary cap over the summer to FIRST acquire Richards (not worrying about whether or not we were over the cap) and THEN make the moves to get in compliance for the regular season.
Gotcha, thanks BRF. I guess this also hurts us as other teams would most certainly court and sign someone like Brad Richards before we could.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Thanks for that info...there is so much to learn on the Cap issue . Thanks again !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Gotcha, thanks BRF. I guess this also hurts us as other teams would most certainly court and sign someone like Brad Richards before we could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Thanks for that info...there is so much to learn on the Cap issue . Thanks again !
No worries, guys. Happy to help.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
I'm not sure you can call someone else a moron for deciding that they are making a decision based on what makes them happy. Redden already has a ton of money. If he decides that he is truly unhappy in Hartford and would rather explore other options to finish his career instead of making more money, then I wouldn't say that is moronic.
Yea your probably right but I have a hard time believing anyone thinking straight would just walk away from that amount of cash no matter the situation. But I'm thinking in normal persons terms instead of a pro's so your probably right.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Unlike some people here, giving Sather extra capspace does not bother me at all. He's not going to make the same mistake over and over, and he's gotten much better over the years. I hate the Boogaard signing, but the Fedotenko signing and Frolov signing (though the latter did not work out) were great moves.
What makes you think he isn't going to make the same mistake again? He overpaid Boogaard just as recently as this past summer. The only reason Frolov was signed to a 3 million dollar deal was because nobody else was willing to pay a higher price than that. Fedotenko was a camp tryout that Torts probably had more to do with than Sather, and there was no way the team could afford to give him more money than they did.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
What makes you think he isn't going to make the same mistake again? He overpaid Boogaard just as recently as this past summer. The only reason Frolov was signed to a 3 million dollar deal was because nobody else was willing to pay a higher price than that. Fedotenko was a camp tryout that Torts probably had more to do with than Sather, and there was no way the team could afford to give him more money than they did.
Boogaard is/was the #1 on the market for his role and for that you'll have to pay. just like we paid for Gaborik, and just like we'll pay for Richards if we get him. Look around the league, we're not the only club that overpays for talent, we just overpaid for the WRONG players. I'm not saying Boogaard is talented, just sought after for his services and feared.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
kinda reminds me of this friend i got. he used to cook at applebees so he applied to be a cook at this country club and they gave him 16 dollars an hour to cook for them but a little while after he started they found out that he was slow and couldn't cook some of the dishes so they put him in the dish pit washing dishes and brought in a new guy. so he washes dishes and basically does nothing for 16 dollars an hour.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
DutchShamrock

Ok, I'm interesed in logistics. 'When' is the most important question to me. By the rules, when does Redden refuse to report, because isn't that how he 'opts' out of his contract? There isn't a way for a guy or team to just straight up terminate a contract. Someone has to breach it before it can be voided. So logistically, Redden has to refuse to report. If this doesn't happen until Hartford camp opens, Redden's cap hit is still on our books during the Free Agency period. Richards will be long gone at that point.

I guess Redden could just leave the Whale at any point and the contract could be voided. But he sounds like this is a decision for the summer.

Also, how soon after he refuses to report do we get to void the contract? Is there a suspension first?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
good luck Redden hope you leave and do what is best for your family but you will never lace them up for the Rangers again sorry

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Ok, I'm interesed in logistics. 'When' is the most important question to me. By the rules, when does Redden refuse to report, because isn't that how he 'opts' out of his contract? There isn't a way for a guy or team to just straight up terminate a contract. Someone has to breach it before it can be voided. So logistically, Redden has to refuse to report. If this doesn't happen until Hartford camp opens, Redden's cap hit is still on our books during the Free Agency period. Richards will be long gone at that point.

I guess Redden could just leave the Whale at any point and the contract could be voided. But he sounds like this is a decision for the summer.

Also, how soon after he refuses to report do we get to void the contract? Is there a suspension first?
Hopefully, he pulls a Brett Favre and retires, only to come back soon after.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:43 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
kinda reminds me of this friend i got. he used to cook at applebees so he applied to be a cook at this country club and they gave him 16 dollars an hour to cook for them but a little while after he started they found out that he was slow and couldn't cook some of the dishes so they put him in the dish pit washing dishes and brought in a new guy. so he washes dishes and basically does nothing for 16 dollars an hour.
the difference here in your misguided analogy is that your "friend" wasn't sent to the dish pit because he suffered and injury cooking chicken fingers, the way Boogaard was shelved for getting a concussion.

i thought Boogaard was a difference making (how much is debatable) presence when he was healthy in the lineup. I'll wait to see a full season of him play next year to see if we can exploit his role before i call this deal a bust. I think the boogard contract is the least of our worries btw.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
the difference here in your misguided analogy is that your "friend" wasn't sent to the dish pit because he suffered and injury cooking chicken fingers, the way Boogaard was shelved for getting a concussion.

i thought Boogaard was a difference making (how much is debatable) presence when he was healthy in the lineup. I'll wait to see a full season of him play next year to see if we can exploit his role before i call this deal a bust. I think the boogard contract is the least of our worries btw.
When we're this close to the cap, 1.6 for a guy who didn't even dominate the few fights he was in before his concussion is a joke.

Especially since he's now concussed, and his only job is to fight.

I supported the contract to an extent, but it's an albatross now.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post

He might be talking about Redden.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote