HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hodgsons call up could lead to a trade?

Old
02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
Sigh...

Hodgson is valued a lot by Vancouver. Therefore it takes an overpayment to get Cody Hodgson out of Vancouver.

That much is observable and can be called fact.

Ok so let's get an overpayment?

First step, check cap space.

Vancouver Canucks: $0

Well trading Hodgson gives them $0.866667M in cap space.

How many overpayments out there can fit into that? We know that nothing else will be in the trade because Van is not breaking apart it's #1 team (Gillis has said this).

The Canucks don't have cap space for the type of return Hodgson would get.

Ok so now ignoring all that heavy evidence let's look at the Canucks needs:

4th line center

Well damn that's a short list and no 4th line center in the league is worth Hodgson.

So get it through your head, Hodgson stays in Vancouver for at least the remainder of the season.

Plus, do you really think Mike Gillis is going to trade his first ever drafted player? As long as that player is NHL caliber Gillis will hang onto him.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Sigh...

Vancouver Canucks: $0
Well that isn't true. The Canucks can play in LTIR space (assuming Alberts and Edler are out of the season).

When Ballard comes back next week, the Canucks will send Sauve down, meaning that they will have $2.5M of space (not including Hodgson in the lineup). With Sauve they have $1.7M of space. If they decide to run with six defenseman they could have $3.4M of space (Sweat stays up, Tanev goes down).

I agree that Hodgson doesn't get traded unless its for a severed overpayment (like in a package for Parise or Weber).

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
ManoWarrior

Very likely a tryout for the 4th line center spot, unless Gillis sees an opportunity to package him and Raymond for a better winger signed to a decent contract. Hemsky? Stafford+? Kulemin+? Backes?

Really doubt that a deal like that happens, but that's the only reason I could see Gillis moving Hodgson.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:22 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
?

He had a full amazing season in the O after being drafted by Vancouver and went on to help the Moose in the playoffs.

It was after that season that the injury problems hit him.
Yeah, he played something stupid like 130 games that year.

He won't get traded. Let alone for a 4th line fix.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Worse place team in the Oilers have nothing that we could use so no.
That's just pure ignorance. To suggest they have absolutely nothing we could use is ridiculous.

Hemsky, Penner, Smid, Hall, Eberle and a few others could all be very useful to the Canucks now and in the future.

Whether or not it's worth it for the Canucks to pay the asking price for any of those is a different question.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
If a move is made it will be minor and will be to address the 4th line. Canucks aren't going to be moving Hodgson anytime soon, don't get why even Vancouver journalists are not getting this. Cody is up because our D is getting healthy and he has been the best fit on the 4th line so far this year IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
That's just pure ignorance. To suggest they have absolutely nothing we could use is ridiculous.

Hemsky, Penner, Smid, Hall, Eberle and a few others could all be very useful to the Canucks now and in the future.

Whether or not it's worth it for the Canucks to pay the asking price for any of those is a different question.
Brule comes to mind as a good 4th line center solution but I don't like his cap hit. Penner would also be useful but the price sounds way too high for the Canucks to have interest and again, like Brule, that cap hit for the following season makes it impossible. I really like Ryan Jones too but I doubt the Oilers would want to move him.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:

And were not overpaying for any of them and your not getting Hodgson for Brule... simply put Oiler have nothing that we need that we'll send you Hodgson... simple as that. Sure I'd like Hemsky here but cap hit doesn't work and we wouldn't overpay for him..

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:13 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Brule comes to mind as a good 4th line center solution but I don't like his cap hit. Penner would also be useful but the price sounds way too high for the Canucks to have interest and again, like Brule, that cap hit for the following season makes it impossible. I really like Ryan Jones too but I doubt the Oilers would want to move him.
I personally don't have much interest in Brule at all. Only guy I'd really love who might be on the block is Hemsky but there are a couple of problems with him - Oilers are going to want way to much to send him to a divisional rival and it just feels like you're tempting the hockey gods by adding another injury prone player to the Canucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
And were not overpaying for any of them and your not getting Hodgson for Brule... simply put Oiler have nothing that we need that we'll send you Hodgson... simple as that. Sure I'd like Hemsky here but cap hit doesn't work and we wouldn't overpay for him..
Hodgson already belongs to my team so...

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
Well that isn't true. The Canucks can play in LTIR space (assuming Alberts and Edler are out of the season).

When Ballard comes back next week, the Canucks will send Sauve down, meaning that they will have $2.5M of space (not including Hodgson in the lineup). With Sauve they have $1.7M of space. If they decide to run with six defenseman they could have $3.4M of space (Sweat stays up, Tanev goes down).

I agree that Hodgson doesn't get traded unless its for a severed overpayment (like in a package for Parise or Weber).
This is untrue.

Edler's cap and a portion of our free cap is taken up now by Salo's $3.5 mil contract. The only reason Salo is back is becuase of Edler on LTIR clearing up $3.25 mil to bring Salo back in.

The only real cap space the Canucks have right now is $1 mil from Alberts now on LTIR and they had about $500k or so before... but they have an issue right now with Lee Sweatt still up and injured so they can't send his $600k or so salary down until he is healthy.

Realistically the Canucks can afford around $1 mil player unless we are trading players.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Realistically the Canucks can afford around $1 mil player unless we are trading players.[/QUOTE]

If the Canucks make a deal it will have to be a roster player going the other way or they would have to put someone else on waivers!

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
If the Canucks make a deal it will have to be a roster player going the other way or they would have to put someone else on waivers!
They can send Oreskovich down without going through waivers, no?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
They can send Oreskovich down without going through waivers, no?
He has to pass through waivers to go down but he doesn't have to pass through them to come up.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
He has to pass through waivers to go down but he doesn't have to pass through them to come up.
He went down so Cody could come up

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
He went down so Cody could come up
Oreskovich wasn't waived at all, Oberg was.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
This is untrue.

Realistically the Canucks can afford around $1 mil player unless we are trading players.
Do the math and get back to me.

Remove the extras and see how much you have left. Remember that Rome can be the spare forward and dman and that sending Tanev down when Sweat is healthy is worth 900k. When Ballard comes back, that's 850k in Sauve going down, and Hodgson is like 1.8M.

Are you sure we only have $1M in space?

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

What would it take for the devils to get Hodgson?

Tedenby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Todds Chiropractory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
Only way Hodgson leaves the canucks if it makes the team substantially better in a certain position. So unless if it is part of a package for parise, I dont see anything the devils could throw at the canucks to land Hodgson. Like it or not, its just the way it is.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:37 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Oreskovich is at 55 games played in the NHL. Doesn't he need 60 before he has to go through waivers?

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:43 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
Zach Parise.

And Zach Bogosian.

That's right.

That's pretty much the only thing that would get me back from the ledge.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:46 PM
TYayo

Hopefully Hodgson makes it as the 4th line center..I'd like to see him with the Canucks on a cup run...

Questions for Vancouver fans...If Hodgson proves he can fill the role in the next week or so..are there any moves your team needs to make? Assuming Edler is returning of course? What is his status

If Cody looks out of place I'd like to see Sammy Pahlsson come to Vancouver but his 2.65 Cap hit for this year and the next 2 would be 2 much

For all the non-Canucks fans hoping to pry CH away from Vancouver..there is absolutely no way it happens this year....I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good move for the Canucks to trade him away for a very valuable asset to help them this year with a cup run...but any player you get for him would obviously be an above average player with a hefty Cap hit...They have no room to accommodate that under the budget...and any prospect thats on the similar ELC as Hodgson would be just a lateral move that doesn't make sense....and this is coming from a Leafs fan

Last edited by TYayo: 02-22-2011 at 12:00 AM.
TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Oreskovich is at 55 games played in the NHL. Doesn't he need 60 before he has to go through waivers?
You may be right with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
Hopefully Hodgson makes it as the 4th line center..I'd like to see him with the Canucks on a cup run...

Questions for Vancouver fans...If Hodgson proves he can fill the role in the next week or so..are there any moves your team needs to make? Assuming Edler is returning of course? What is his status

If Cody looks out of place I'd like to see Sammy Pahlsson come to Vancouver but his 2.65 Cap hit for this year and the next 2 would be 2 much
If Hodgson can't fill the 4th line C position, we trade for Reasoner.

If he can, then maybe a depth defender or 4th line wing? By the start of the playoffs we'll look like

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Samuelsson
Torres - Malhotra - Hansen
Glass - Hodgson/Reasoner - Volpatti
Oreskovich - Tambellini

Edler - Erhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Salo
Alberts - Rome

Luongo
Schneider

Old
02-22-2011, 12:05 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
I personally don't have much interest in Brule at all. Only guy I'd really love who might be on the block is Hemsky but there are a couple of problems with him - Oilers are going to want way to much to send him to a divisional rival and it just feels like you're tempting the hockey gods by adding another injury prone player to the Canucks.
Hemsky is a very skilled player but I honestly don't think he's a good fit for the Canucks at all. As you mentioned, he is severely injury prone and I really don't think the Canucks need anymore skill or finesse, they are already at or near the top in goals for. Canucks need some grit and size for their bottom line, preferably a player that could play the middle and chip in every now and then on the scoresheet.

In general, the Oilers don't make good trade partners for a variety of reasons, the most obvious being that they are (or will be in the near future) a division rival.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:23 AM
TYayo

Quote:
You may be right with that one.

If Hodgson can't fill the 4th line C position, we trade for Reasoner.

If he can, then maybe a depth defender or 4th line wing? By the start of the playoffs we'll look like

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Samuelsson
Torres - Malhotra - Hansen
Glass - Hodgson/Reasoner - Volpatti
Oreskovich - Tambellini

Edler - Erhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Salo
Alberts - Rome

Luongo
Schneider
It's unreal that you had to list 8 D-Men for your playoff drive...even more unbelievable that only 3 of them were in the lineup Saturday night...1 of them being Rome who you have as your 8th...Are they all relatively close to returning? Within a month?..... Could be worse I guess..not like it's Crosby and Malkin

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Martinek, Z and the Isles 2nd for Hodgson.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
It's unreal that you had to list 8 D-Men for your playoff drive...even more unbelievable that only 3 of them were in the lineup Saturday night...1 of them being Rome who you have as your 8th...Are they all relatively close to returning? Within a month?..... Could be worse I guess..not like it's Crosby and Malkin
Hamhuis will be returning tomorrow night, Ballard should be returning later this week, Bieksa is returning in roughly 2 weeks, Alberts and Edler should be gone until roughly the playoffs.

I listed 8 because of Alberts & Edler returning for the playoffs.

That being said, we've got 8 on the starting playoff roster and Tanev, L. Sweatt, Oberg and Sauve on waiver exempt contracts who all seem to be NHL ready in case of further injury.