HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic players to target at the trade deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2011, 02:33 PM
  #201
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
probably one of those guys that wishes every trade the sabres were invovled in

Rich Peverley is not a need for the sabres, we have enough third line centers.
We don't have any third line centers. Oh and by the way, Peverely would be our leading center scorer right now, while making about a million less than Gaustad, more than 2 million less than Hecht, and about 3 million less than Connolly.

Maybe the reason why we never hear about Sabres trade rumors is because Darcy never bothers to ****ing ask if any players are available. Peverely was definitely somebody we could use in our line-up right now. I had no idea Atlanta was willing to trade him, especially at the kind of cost (we could've easily matched that Wheeler-Stuart return). I'm sure Darcy had no idea either ...

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 05:05 AM
  #202
SECRET SQUIRREL
Registered User
 
SECRET SQUIRREL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clarence
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
A guy I have come around on and started to like is Mikhail Grabovski. 24g-20a-44pts so far this year and hes signed through next season with a 2.9 cap hit. Think he could be a good #2 center for us and I would imagine Toronto would listen to offers for him. What do you think it would take? Luke Adam and a mid Pick? Any interest?

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 06:51 AM
  #203
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
A guy I have come around on and started to like is Mikhail Grabovski. 24g-20a-44pts so far this year and hes signed through next season with a 2.9 cap hit. Think he could be a good #2 center for us and I would imagine Toronto would listen to offers for him. What do you think it would take? Luke Adam and a mid Pick? Any interest?
Grabovski has done well this year - I've been impressed. He's still pretty small, and I could see people complaining at giving up that package but I may make it. Toronto won't give him away for nothing.

That GWG he scored the other day after getting destroyed by Chara earlier in the game was special.

Honestly though, outside of hopefully moving a few players (pending UFAs) for picks I can't see them doing much in this window. Most likely just miss the playoffs, draft 13th and then hopefully the 'retooling' starts in the summer.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:15 PM
  #204
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 500
According to Dregehr's recent report on TSN, apparently James Neal and Alex Goligoski may be available. There's also mention by the Colorado beat reporter that the Avs may consider trading Stastny.

Obviously, it's hard for any Sabre fan to fathom the team ever being in the running for any of the 3 but, like Dregehr mentioned, who would have expected the St. Louis/Colorado swap that involved seemingly-untouchables like Johnson and Stewart?

If the Sabres were to replace a "core" player like Pominville for a similar key player like Neal, that could be the right kind of injection of change, even if it doesn't fill the need at center. Not sure what other complementary parts to such a hypothetical package would be needed though.

As for Stastny, who knows? If I were Pegula, I'd view him as a franchise cornerstone worthy of dealing anyone in the organization for, other than Myers, Miller or Vanek. If ever there were an ideal option (in terms of age, proven performance and salary) for a # 1 center the team could build around, Stastny sure would come close.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
  #205
Jim Carr's Rug
Registered User
 
Jim Carr's Rug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
As for Stastny, who knows? If I were Pegula, I'd view him as a franchise cornerstone worthy of dealing anyone in the organization for, other than Myers, Miller or Vanek. If ever there were an ideal option (in terms of age, proven performance and salary) for a # 1 center the team could build around, Stastny sure would come close.
I love the guy, but I think Vanek's salary keep's him OFF the untouchable list.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
  #206
CowbellConray
Registered User
 
CowbellConray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
According to Dregehr's recent report on TSN, apparently James Neal and Alex Goligoski may be available. There's also mention by the Colorado beat reporter that the Avs may consider trading Stastny.

If the Sabres were to replace a "core" player like Pominville for a similar key player like Neal, that could be the right kind of injection of change, even if it doesn't fill the need at center. Not sure what other complementary parts to such a hypothetical package would be needed though.

As for Stastny, who knows? If I were Pegula, I'd view him as a franchise cornerstone worthy of dealing anyone in the organization for, other than Myers, Miller or Vanek. If ever there were an ideal option (in terms of age, proven performance and salary) for a # 1 center the team could build around, Stastny sure would come close.
What do you think it would take to get Neal? I would love to have him. 21 goals on the season and would look great with Stafford on the other wing.

A package around Pominville+ to get Neal+ Salary dump? Would a first have to be involved?

I feel that Neal would be a nice fit as our 2nd line LW.

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:05 PM
  #207
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,422
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
What do you think it would take to get Neal? I would love to have him. 21 goals on the season and would look great with Stafford on the other wing.

A package around Pominville+ to get Neal+ Salary dump? Would a first have to be involved?

I feel that Neal would be a nice fit as our 2nd line LW.

Pretty sure that the whole idea to trading Neal would be to lower costs.

I would imagine that they'd try to pry Ennis from us first...and failing that, Kassian.


A package centering around Ennis and Neal would make sense for both teams --- Dallas gets skilled and cheaper, Buffalo gets bigger and more physical.




Stastny would be a piece I'd love to have. I would imagine that both Stafford and Ennis would need to move, as the Avs do appear to be retooling towards the young. Stafford, Ennis, plus for Statsny? Yeah, I think I do that.......

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
  #208
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,116
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Pretty sure that the whole idea to trading Neal would be to lower costs.

I would imagine that they'd try to pry Ennis from us first...and failing that, Kassian.


A package centering around Ennis and Neal would make sense for both teams --- Dallas gets skilled and cheaper, Buffalo gets bigger and more physical.




Stastny would be a piece I'd love to have. I would imagine that both Stafford and Ennis would need to move, as the Avs do appear to be retooling towards the young. Stafford, Ennis, plus for Statsny? Yeah, I think I do that.......
Dallas needs right-handed wingers. They'd probably be interested in Stafford and Kassian, though they may be less interested in Stafford since he's going to be paid more than Neal starting this summer.

I like Neal, but I want to focuse using our assets on the wing to improve our center situation, not to get another winger.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
  #209
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
Yeah, I'd rather go after Stastny than Neal. Neal's a good player, but we have enough wingers. We already have two big goal scorers in Stafford and Vanek, we need more guys who can set them up. I think Stastny could play well with either of them.

Maybe something like Hecht, Adam, Weber, and 2 1st rounders for Stastny?

Vanek - Stastny - Pominville
Ennis - Roy - Stafford

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
  #210
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Dallas needs right-handed wingers. They'd probably be interested in Stafford and Kassian, though they may be less interested in Stafford since he's going to be paid more than Neal starting this summer.

I like Neal, but I want to focuse using our assets on the wing to improve our center situation, not to get another winger.
I'd trade both Staff and Ennis +++ to get Stastny and Neal - if they can make it work with the cap.

Vanek-Stastny-Pominville
Neal-Roy-Kassian
Hecht-UFA-McCormick
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

TC/Grier/Niedermayer all gone

Or other line combo's - maybe have Hecht as 3rd line C if they can't get anyone suitable, or they feel that Adam isn't ready for full time duty.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:36 PM
  #211
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,081
vCash: 500
Awards:
When did Paul Statsny and James Neal become "realistic" trade targets? Trade acquisition objectives? Sure. Pipedreams? Basically. But "realistic"? Eh, no.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:05 PM
  #212
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
We can forget Neal.

James Neal and Matt Niskanen for Alex Goligoski.


DONE DEAL. I like Neal too. I wonder if PIT can keep him after the year is done? Wont he be an RFA?

Edit: nevermind. neal is signed through 2011-2012

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:17 PM
  #213
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Absolutely crazy non return for Neal.

At that price I'd have seen him as realistic, Chain.

And while unlikely, Stastny is rumoured to be available.

Stafford, Enroth, one of Butler (or Sekera if it has to be) and a 2nd for Stastny.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
  #214
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,116
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Absolutely crazy non return for Neal.

At that price I'd have seen him as realistic, Chain.

And while unlikely, Stastny is rumoured to be available.

Stafford, Enroth, one of Butler (or Sekera if it has to be) and a 2nd for Stastny.
If you change Butler/Sekera to Weber, and the 2nd to a 1st, Colorado probably listens (and may even send back a little something). Sabres fans don't want to include Weber, but we're going to have to part with something good on the blueline to get a Paul Stastny. Prior to getting Johnson, Colorado was inundated with smallish puck-movers. I doubt they want more.

Stafford
Enroth
Weber
BUF 1st

for

Stastny
Budaj

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
  #215
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If you change Butler/Sekera to Weber, and the 2nd to a 1st, Colorado probably listens (and may even send back a little something). Sabres fans don't want to include Weber, but we're going to have to part with something good on the blueline to get a Paul Stastny. Prior to getting Johnson, Colorado was inundated with smallish puck-movers. I doubt they want more.

Stafford
Enroth
Weber
BUF 1st

for

Stastny
Budaj
I'd reluctantly do it if I'm honest. Really like Weber and a first seems a lot to give up on top of everything else but Stastny is quality and the kind of player the team needs. Budaj should be a capable backup to play 20 or so games.

Do this one, try and add some size to the wings, and make a run at an Ehrhoff or Pitkanen and the team is going somewhere. Losing a first may hurt them in the draft but maybe they get a few 2nds and 3rd for moving the likes of Connolly and Montador.... maybe this gets them back in if they see a player they like.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM
  #216
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If you change Butler/Sekera to Weber, and the 2nd to a 1st, Colorado probably listens (and may even send back a little something). Sabres fans don't want to include Weber, but we're going to have to part with something good on the blueline to get a Paul Stastny. Prior to getting Johnson, Colorado was inundated with smallish puck-movers. I doubt they want more.

Stafford
Enroth
Weber
BUF 1st

for

Stastny
Budaj
Instead of Stafford, I'd insert Pominville and put Butler in lieu of Weber; drop the draft pick; and forget the goalie swap. Stafford is no more or less streaky than Pominville and seems ready to reach his potential now - and it's not likely his new contract will reach the overpayment of $5M/per that Pominville gets. Butler isn't as physical as Weber but he's still a promising background and was a collegiate star in Denver. As for goalies, I suspect the Avs will look to sign a veteran back-up this summer for Elliott to bring some insurance; an unknown like Enroth doesn't fit that bill.

Pominville & Butler
for
Stastny

Fair deal for both teams IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:15 PM
  #217
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Instead of Stafford, I'd insert Pominville and put Butler in lieu of Weber; drop the draft pick; and forget the goalie swap. Stafford is no more or less streaky than Pominville and seems ready to reach his potential now - and it's not likely his new contract will reach the overpayment of $5M/per that Pominville gets. Butler isn't as physical as Weber but he's still a promising background and was a collegiate star in Denver. As for goalies, I suspect the Avs will look to sign a veteran back-up this summer for Elliott to bring some insurance; an unknown like Enroth doesn't fit that bill.

Pominville & Butler
for
Stastny

Fair deal for both teams IMO.
Yeah, because Colorado is going to do that.

Honestly I doubt they'd even do Zip's - although value is about fair.

Remember that Stastny is by a fair margin the best player in the deal.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
  #218
fightclubber25
Registered User
 
fightclubber25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=881040

i want some of this.. for once..

like, actual excitement about something hockey related.

the rich get richer and the sabres.. ugh.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
  #219
CowbellConray
Registered User
 
CowbellConray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 500
I can't belive that Neal AND Niskanan went to Pitt for Goligoski.

That's like us getting those two for Sekera and a 3rd.

If Darcy wanted to work the phones I bet we could have had him for a reasonable price...

Makes me sad

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
  #220
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)
 
Macksayev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
With the acquisition of Versteeg, speculation on the Flyers board is that Leino could be on the move.

27 years old. 39 points in 56 games. On top of that, he had an impressive 09-10 playoffs, putting up 21 points in 19 games. And he's not a midget. Something Darcy should consider?

I'm not sure of his contract status.
after being punched in the head by Laviolette, Leino might want to be moved

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:19 PM
  #221
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,081
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nik Hagman on waivers from the Flames.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:24 PM
  #222
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nik Hagman on waivers from the Flames.
I didn't even notice, what with all the big names moving around. I've been expecting no movement on the Sabres front at least until the 23rd.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
  #223
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,116
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=881040

i want some of this.. for once..

like, actual excitement about something hockey related.

the rich get richer and the sabres.. ugh.
I couldn't care less about the excitement aspect of a trade. I want this team to get better. If they get better, they'll win more. Winning is exciting. Rangers fans are excited almost every July 1 when Sather is spending like a drunk sailor. I don't want to win the back pages of the sports section; I want to win hockey games.

I don't need to see blockbusters to make me happy. I just want to see them actively addressing their problems. If they make a medium-sized trade without much fanfare that addresses a need, I'll be happy.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:43 PM
  #224
Pengo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
^I don't think that's actually true about NYR fans... I might be wrong, but I think they're tired of it by now.

IMO, a blockbuster trade >>> a medium trade. It's like 1st overall vs 15th overall. 15th overall might get you a very good player, but generally you aren't going to get significantly better unless you have a 1st overall talent.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
  #225
jflory81
Garbo is coming
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 21,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
I can't belive that Neal AND Niskanan went to Pitt for Goligoski.

That's like us getting those two for Sekera and a 3rd.

If Darcy wanted to work the phones I bet we could have had him for a reasonable price...

Makes me sad
Sekera and a 3rd is nowhere NEAR the value of Goligoski.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.