HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nik Hagman (Calgary)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2011, 08:03 PM
  #101
Jmask83
Registered User
 
Jmask83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
I'd rather not take on Calgary's garbage.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:05 PM
  #102
walle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northpole
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
would be hilarious if hagman wanted to be waived that he would get more ice-time elsewhere just to be ended in 4th line of edmonton - with same ice-time as in cgy

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
  #103
CSimpson18
Registered User
 
CSimpson18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
How about wait till Jly 1ST. there'll be a few more out there than Hagmann.
I'm sure that's what we'll end up doing. I just hope we don't get stuck with some bottom of the barrel UFA. It's not a great crop this year. Actually pretty horrible. Konopka would be cool imo, that guy can win some faceoffs. And fight. great 4th liner.Fiddler or Sutherby would be pretty not bad too. Edmonton will probably have to overpay to get them but so be it.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
  #104
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
I'm sure that's what we'll end up doing. I just hope we don't get stuck with some bottom of the barrel UFA. It's not a great crop this year. Actually pretty horrible. Konopka would be cool imo, that guy can win some faceoffs. And fight. great 4th liner.Fiddler or Sutherby would be pretty not bad too. Edmonton will probably have to overpay to get them but so be it.
3 million for Hagman. Sounds like an over-payment to me. Let's talk about moving bodies while we add one. Instead of just stacking them on top of each other. Someone like Steckel, Winchester or Clarkson are good targets to me. Especially the first two. A physical center that can win draws, lead by example and leave his strap on ice night after night is what we really need. I like the looks of Sutherby and Fiddler as well. I have a good feeling that VV will make a good case for the 3/4 C next year just based on his ability to play at an NHL pace and actually excel at it during pre-season. He brings the tools we currently lack. An additional vet would be nice. I would personally add O'Marra to the roster over Hagman for various reasons.

English is my primary language by the way. What about you?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
  #105
CSimpson18
Registered User
 
CSimpson18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
3 million for Hagman. Sounds like an over-payment to me. Let's talk about moving bodies while we add one. Instead of just stacking them on top of each other. Someone like Steckel, Winchester or Clarkson are good targets to me. Especially the first two. A physical center that can win draws, lead by example and leave his strap on ice night after night is what we really need. I like the looks of Sutherby and Fiddler as well. I have a good feeling that VV will make a good case for the 3/4 C next year just based on his ability to play at an NHL pace and actually excel at it during pre-season. He brings the tools we currently lack. An additional vet would be nice. I would personally add O'Marra to the roster over Hagman for various reasons.

English is my primary language by the way. What about you?
Lol. Ya it's my primary language and I think I'm pretty not bad at it. Now leave me alone, your tone has been adversarial right from the beginning and you've offered very very little insight to the conversation.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
  #106
dmacin2*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
In that case let's pick up every skilled player that comes across the waiver wire.
I dont know about that, Im not even sure you understood my point. I just dont see how he could be any worse than Fraser JFJ or Smac. Even if he isnt great defensively(-1 since 2006). What does a team like edmonton have to lose? They will be right around the league minimum next year if they don't take a flyer on a guy like Hagman. I could be wrong but I doubt any free agents will sign here.

If he doesn't work out he is gone next summer, if he does work out he can be moved for a part of the rebuild or kept for a late playoff run if needed.

Edit I dont think the Oilers will pick him up, I dont really care either way. I just don't think its the worst idea in the world to add a guy who can score 20 goals for nothing while there are still useless peices of garbage in the lineup playing every game.

dmacin2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
  #107
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Lol. Ya it's my primary language and I think I'm pretty not bad at it. Now leave me alone, your tone has been adversarial right from the beginning and you've offered very very little insight to the conversation.
If you don't like the way I wrote something, disregard it. Instead of asking childish questions with clear intent.

As for my tone. I'm being completely objective toward the topic at hand. Hagman at 3 mill per season is very unnecessary. He brings an offensive element, I agree. What he lacks is a multi dimensional presence in terms of forechecking, body-checking and a tireless effort that he uses to force mistakes and pressure opponents. He doesn't add an element we are currently lacking other than additional goal scoring. He doesn't strike me as a great veteran presence either. He has experience but what makes you think he would be a great mentor?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
  #108
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MURPHYS LAW 80 View Post
I dont know about that, Im not even sure you understood my point. I just dont see how he could be any worse than Fraser JFJ or Smac. Even if he isnt great defensively(-1 since 2006). What does a team like edmonton have to lose? They will be right around the league minimum next year if they don't take a flyer on a guy like Hagman. I could be wrong but I doubt any free agents will sign here.

If he doesn't work out he is gone next summer, if he does work out he can be moved for a part of the rebuild or kept for a late playoff run if needed.
I understand that Calgary is tight to the cap but it seems clear to me that there isn't much market interest for a player like Hagman because he brings one element that he is unable to cement himself with. That being his offense. He comes and goes as he pleases. Shows up on occassion with a flash that bias' fans eyes.

There are cheaper more effective options out there for the suggested role. He is better than JFJ or Smac for sure. But he lacks the physical element they bring. Besides that Fraser is a center. If we could pursue a forward with a combination of both much like Jones than we would have a valid target. Ryan Carter for instance, now he would have been a usable pickup at one point.

We have players like O'Marra and Vande-Velde that need a longer look than Fraser. Fraser is expendable imo. Great character but crappy player. There will be more than a few FA fish along with a potential deadline deal where we could move someone like Penner for a usable body and a 1st round selection. I'd even consider Hagman and first +. In that case Hagman is an able body up front where is his best asset is up front where it should be. In the top six.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:08 PM
  #109
dmacin2*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I understand that Calgary is tight to the cap but it seems clear to me that there isn't much market interest for a player like Hagman because he brings one element that he is unable to cement himself with. That being his offense. He comes and goes as he pleases. Shows up on occassion with a flash that bias' fans eyes.

There are cheaper more effective options out there for the suggested role. He is better than JFJ or Smac for sure. But he lacks the physical element they bring. Besides that Fraser is a center. If we could pursue a forward with a combination of both much like Jones than we would have a valid target. Ryan Carter for instance, now he would have been a usable pickup at one point.

We have players like O'Marra and Vande-Velde that need a longer look than Fraser. Fraser is expendable imo. Great character but crappy player. There will be more than a few FA fish along with a potential deadline deal where we could move someone like Penner for a usable body and a 1st round selection. I'd even consider Hagman and first +. In that case Hagman is an able body up front where is his best asset is up front where it should be. In the top six.
Doesnt matter that Fraser is a Center, the Oilers are loaded with people who do and can play center. Is Fraser even effective at anything?

JFJ has a measily 8 goals in 142 games. He can hit, sometimes.

SMAC has 14 hits in 17 games and barely plays 3 minutes a game. I cant even remember him fighting much this year. He knocked Ivanans out in game 1 and has been invisible. Why not throw in somebody with almost 700 NHL games played?

I know Hagman isn't the answer to the Oilers problems. There are many of them... Lets say that the Oilers do bring up Omarra and VV and then sign Carter... There will be injuries and slumps for sure. If the Oilers are done tanking and want to make a real run at trying for the playoffs, it would sure be nice to have guys that have been around for a while who can fit into the 2nd line if needed and would be an upgrade over many players still on the roster.

dmacin2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
  #110
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,650
vCash: 500
nice to know the pieces of dion phaneuf arent worth keeping lol

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:50 PM
  #111
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
nice to know the pieces of dion phaneuf arent worth keeping lol
Ain't that the truth. Jay Feaster is showing Darryl Sutter that he lost that deal. All they have left to show for it is an overpriced Matt Stajan.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:10 AM
  #112
tempest2i
Feral
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
Ain't that the truth. Jay Feaster is showing Darryl Sutter that he lost that deal. All they have left to show for it is an overpriced Matt Stajan.
Calgary needed to have Dion removed from the team. Just having his issues away from the team is good, it looks great once you factor in not having that boat anchor of a contract on the cap as well.

Hagman could have helped last years Oiler team. This year I'd simply pass on him. He obviously has very little value in the league right now so the idea of flipping him at the deadline next year is little more than a pipe dream.

He might be able to find a role on this team if we move out Penner or Hemsky. But if those two are sticking with the team past the deadline at the end of the week we won't need Hagman.

If we did get him (and one or both of Penner and Hemsky are gone) I suspect he'd be best suited in a second line role with 2nd PK unit time. He has the talent to be a good player in that role.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:13 AM
  #113
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Calgary needed to have Dion removed from the team. Just having his issues away from the team is good, it looks great once you factor in not having that boat anchor of a contract on the cap as well.

Hagman could have helped last years Oiler team. This year I'd simply pass on him. He obviously has very little value in the league right now so the idea of flipping him at the deadline next year is little more than a pipe dream.

He might be able to find a role on this team if we move out Penner or Hemsky. But if those two are sticking with the team past the deadline at the end of the week we won't need Hagman.

If we did get him (and one or both of Penner and Hemsky are gone) I suspect he'd be best suited in a second line role with 2nd PK unit time. He has the talent to be a good player in that role.
That deal looked bad back in the day and it looks bad now. They got no body for Dion Phaneuf, you couldve gotten a lot more IMO, didnt they say GMs didnt even know Dion was moving?

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:31 AM
  #114
tempest2i
Feral
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
That deal looked bad back in the day and it looks bad now. They got no body for Dion Phaneuf, you couldve gotten a lot more IMO, didnt they say GMs didnt even know Dion was moving?
There's a backstory about Dion that isn't really public and I can't post it on these boards without having the post removed. Rumors are that the Dion trade was literally a spur of the moment get this man out of here regardless of cost or loss.

Could the Flames have gotten more for him? Absolutely.

Burke had made it known that Dion was one of the players he really wanted for his team. The Flames knew this and Burke was the first GM they called.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 07:33 AM
  #115
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,253
vCash: 500
Ok we've pretty much all stated our opinions on why we'd like the Oilers to pick Hagman up or why we are against it.

Just for argument's sake though... for all those that don't see him as a useful addition... who do you think will actually sign with the Oilers that will fill the "useful veteran" role on this team?

I know people throw out the need for a good PK man... a good faceoff man... a tough, gritty 4th liner who can be defensively responsible and pot a few goals... etc and we all know those roles NEED to be filled if this team is going to improve over the longer term BUT which players do you all think are actually going to sign with the Oilers as FA's to fill those roles?

Last season they signed Foster and Fraser (and picked up Vandermeer in a trade/buyout situation). Obviously all those players are fringe players (although no one 100% knew that then)... but do you all think this off season will be better and all of a sudden quality role players will want to sign in Edmonton?

Do you think quality vets will want to climb aboard the rebuild train with all the rest of the gang here in Edmonton?

I think a much more likely scenario is those role players develop from within... as pointed out players like Vande Velde, Hartikainen, Lander, Hamilton, Martindale etc could very well fill key roles needed on the team BUT a healthy competitive environment where vets are pushed aside by rookies and prospects is the normal way of developing youth instead of handing them spots on a plate.

To me a player like Hagman is a good pinata for the young prospects to beat out of the way to grab that roster spot. I think a veteran player on a 1 year contract with some obvious NHL level skills is a good "target" for the youth to overtake and compete for on the roster and I really don't think that's a bad pickup. You want players EXACTLY like Hagman who are likely only going to be here for a year and then be gone... replaced hopefully by younger prospects in the organization that take his job away.

I actually don't want the Oilers to go out and overpay for other better "quality vets" who'd probably have to be tied up with multi-year contracts just to entice them into the Oilers organization. Those types of players WILL be blocks in the lineup to the younger prospects because the Oilers will be obliged to give them fairly large ice time as they'll likely be on multi-year deals and overpaid contracts and along with that will come those players expectations that they are going to play a large role on the team.

I conversely want a player or two like Hagman who are short term expendables... they have talent but are completely replaceable once the prospects improve to the point where they push them off the roster.

Basically Hagman should be an instant replacement for a player like Brule/JFJ and next season another prospect should similarly be a replacement for Hagman... as the transition phase smoothly ticks over... well in theory anyway.

I guess my main point is the Oilers shouldn't go overpaying and tying up vets for 2-3 year deals when they get players like Hagman falling into their laps with almost no strings attached who can serve that role just as well.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
  #116
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,141
vCash: 500
If I'm gonna spend 3 million dollars on a player next year, it sure as hell isn't going to be Niklas Haagman.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:18 AM
  #117
tempest2i
Feral
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
If I'm gonna spend 3 million dollars on a player next year, it sure as hell isn't going to be Niklas Haagman.
29 NHL GMs fully endorse this statement.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
  #118
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
29 NHL GMs fully endorse this statement.
Stunning oh well time to move along.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM
  #119
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
If I'm gonna spend 3 million dollars on a player next year, it sure as hell isn't going to be Niklas Haagman.
Yah but look what he did in TO to get that contract.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
  #120
Harrison
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
Has this guy cleared yet?

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
  #121
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,587
vCash: 484
Wait we actually wanted this guy? Doesn't hit, doesn't block shots, doesn't play the PK and doesn't take draws. Does not equal a bottom 6 player.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
  #122
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,587
vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Has this guy cleared yet?
yes he did

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM
  #123
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,587
vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Ok we've pretty much all stated our opinions on why we'd like the Oilers to pick Hagman up or why we are against it.

Just for argument's sake though... for all those that don't see him as a useful addition... who do you think will actually sign with the Oilers that will fill the "useful veteran" role on this team?

I know people throw out the need for a good PK man... a good faceoff man... a tough, gritty 4th liner who can be defensively responsible and pot a few goals... etc and we all know those roles NEED to be filled if this team is going to improve over the longer term BUT which players do you all think are actually going to sign with the Oilers as FA's to fill those roles?

Last season they signed Foster and Fraser (and picked up Vandermeer in a trade/buyout situation). Obviously all those players are fringe players (although no one 100% knew that then)... but do you all think this off season will be better and all of a sudden quality role players will want to sign in Edmonton?

Do you think quality vets will want to climb aboard the rebuild train with all the rest of the gang here in Edmonton?

I think a much more likely scenario is those role players develop from within... as pointed out players like Vande Velde, Hartikainen, Lander, Hamilton, Martindale etc could very well fill key roles needed on the team BUT a healthy competitive environment where vets are pushed aside by rookies and prospects is the normal way of developing youth instead of handing them spots on a plate.

To me a player like Hagman is a good pinata for the young prospects to beat out of the way to grab that roster spot. I think a veteran player on a 1 year contract with some obvious NHL level skills is a good "target" for the youth to overtake and compete for on the roster and I really don't think that's a bad pickup. You want players EXACTLY like Hagman who are likely only going to be here for a year and then be gone... replaced hopefully by younger prospects in the organization that take his job away.

I actually don't want the Oilers to go out and overpay for other better "quality vets" who'd probably have to be tied up with multi-year contracts just to entice them into the Oilers organization. Those types of players WILL be blocks in the lineup to the younger prospects because the Oilers will be obliged to give them fairly large ice time as they'll likely be on multi-year deals and overpaid contracts and along with that will come those players expectations that they are going to play a large role on the team.

I conversely want a player or two like Hagman who are short term expendables... they have talent but are completely replaceable once the prospects improve to the point where they push them off the roster.

Basically Hagman should be an instant replacement for a player like Brule/JFJ and next season another prospect should similarly be a replacement for Hagman... as the transition phase smoothly ticks over... well in theory anyway.

I guess my main point is the Oilers shouldn't go overpaying and tying up vets for 2-3 year deals when they get players like Hagman falling into their laps with almost no strings attached who can serve that role just as well.
Where does Hagman fit? He is an offensive player and we already are going with 3 offensive lines. You put him on this team then you better be okay with Omark or MPS in the AHL. Hagman offers nothing to this team. I rather give Jones 3mil than pick up Hagman.

I'd actually prefer keeping Brule and even Jacques over Hagman.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
  #124
Harrison
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
yes he did
perfect, can breathe easier now....thanks

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
  #125
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,587
vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
perfect, can breathe easier now....thanks
I didn't really think this was an issue until I read this site.

His production is worse than Omarks, around MPS and Cogliano's. And he is an offesnive player. Why the heck would we take him?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.