HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New York Islanders - Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
02-21-2011, 09:18 AM
E_Godard

vCash: 500
I dont see how this works for the Isles. Outside of unloading Hunter whos injury may leave him useless for seasons to come.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Renbarg

A healthy Eaton is (maybe might be) better than Komi (who's been bad for 2+ years at this point so its not an aberration) at this point. And he's getting paid less and coming off the books earlier. But he is certainly better value though.

If the Leafs want to get rid of Komi they will probably have to include a nice little prospect. If not, keep him and enjoy!

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
DIONBOZAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
And the gross overrating of Leafs players by Leaf fans continues on hfboards... surprise surprise.
Come on now, only 1 Leaf fan is overrating Komi in this thread.

The majority of us know he just isnt a very good NHL defenceman. If jfried was correct in saying Komisarek is a top 4 dman, then why was he playing as the sixth guy on the Leafs earlier in the year? And why is he STILL on the third pairing after we traded 2 of our top 4 dmen (Kabs, Beauch)?

Lets face it, Komi is a bottom pairing, overpaid dman that is very untradable unless we take on an equally bad contract. Only overpaid by 500k??????? Really jfried?

And how in the H e l l did he deserve a NTC????? Wow Burkie, just....wow

DIONBOZAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
DIONBOZAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Pairing him with Komisarek allows him to be more offensive than Macdonald.

You guys are the ones who need to "come off it", and take a look at what top one dimensional shutdown defencemen make in this leauge -- notably signing from less than 1 year ago. Anton Volchenkov got $4.25m over 6 years from what most assumed to be a very good team. Zbynek Michalek, who is less of a shutdown guy and a little bit more versatile, got $4m over 5 years.

If you fail acknowledge the fact that Komisarek is a top shutdown defenceman underachieving in Toronto, you're obviously not operating within the realm of reality.

Both defencemen can still play despite being overpaid. However, you're talking about one guy who is overpaid by ~$2m with a contract for 5 more years until he's 38 versus one who is overpaid by ~$500k with a contract for 3 more years until he's 32. In the case of Komisarek, they can get rid of him with a lot less pain than taking on Campbell's ridiculous contract. There are teams like the Islanders and Hurricanes who do not have the ability to attract free agents without grossly overpaying. This allows a guy like Komisarek to be overpaid to a team like Toronto, but underpaid to a team like New York, because they could not acquire a defenceman of his calibre for his paycheque through free agency.
I cant believe nobody has touched on this yet.

Want to know the difference between these guys and Komisarek? These 2 have smaller cap hits, and are much better players....

DIONBOZAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIONBOZAK View Post

The majority of us know he just isnt a very good NHL defenceman. If jfried was correct in saying Komisarek is a top 4 dman, then why was he playing as the sixth guy on the Leafs earlier in the year? And why is he STILL on the third pairing after we traded 2 of our top 4 dmen (Kabs, Beauch)?

Lets face it, Komi is a bottom pairing, overpaid dman that is very untradable unless we take on an equally bad contract. Only overpaid by 500k??????? Really jfried?

Fair enough..... I shouldn't paint with broad strokes, I apologize.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:28 AM
grabo84

What, exactly, are we going to spend the money on if we make this trade? I don't get it - there isn't exactly a ton of free agents available, and I'm not exactly excited about the free agent options available. The NYI players coming our way don't interest me much. I don't think Eaton is better at all.

There's way too much of an obsession over whether players are living up to the value of their contracts around here. Komi clearly isn't, but that doesn't mean that they should get rid of him for a cheaper downgrade and a cap dump. I'd much rather see them hang onto him, in hopes that his game rebounds with more responsibility.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
miser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Mike Komisarek; 4.5M through 2013/14

for

Mark Eaton; 2.5M through 2011/12
Trent Hunter; 2M through 2012/13

Komisarek is a wasting away in Toronto, it's time Burke sent this mistake packing. He has a NTC but needs to provide 8 teams he would approve a trade to. Komisarek is a good locker-room guy to have and he's from the Long Island area. Toronto could add a late pick if need be..
Either Islander by themselves is worth more than Komisarek right now.

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:35 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by miser View Post
Either Islander by themselves is worth more than Komisarek right now.
At least Komisarek is healthy...

Old
02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
birddog*

Better off waiving Komi. Who the heck wants that crap from the NYI?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
ssheeran10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
why would the isles do this?

Komisarek is an Albatross to his current team and yet you want us to take on more salary for a longer term. Where is the Incentive for us to take him?

Id figure a 1st would need to be included at least

LOL what?!

ssheeran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:05 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
What, exactly, are we going to spend the money on if we make this trade? I don't get it - there isn't exactly a ton of free agents available, and I'm not exactly excited about the free agent options available. The NYI players coming our way don't interest me much. I don't think Eaton is better at all.

There's way too much of an obsession over whether players are living up to the value of their contracts around here. Komi clearly isn't, but that doesn't mean that they should get rid of him for a cheaper downgrade and a cap dump. I'd much rather see them hang onto him, in hopes that his game rebounds with more responsibility.
very good post. I'll take Eaton over Komi anytime, ESPECIALLY with the salary, but Eaton/Hunter does NOTHING for Toronto and Komi for the NYI would be simply awful.

That said, the Leafs have to (and SHOULD) work with Komi. He's young enough and has enough talent to BECOME a much better defenseman. Sure he makes a lot of money but so what, it's not like good defensemen are easy to come by.

It's a smarter move to help Komi become a good defenseman (and far more realistic) than prying one from another team or signing one as a UFA any cheaper than Komi's price-tag.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Mike Komisarek; 4.5M through 2013/14

for

Komisarek is a wasting away in Toronto, it's time Burke sent this mistake packing. He has a NTC but needs to provide 8 teams he would approve a trade to. Komisarek is a good locker-room guy to have and he's from the Long Island area. Toronto could add a late pick if need be..
Done.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Plenty of teams would like a shutdown dman and plenty would want Komisarek, if he were a shutdown dman. Since when do we consider a slow, immobile, dman who lack serious hockey sense a "good" shutdown dman? You can try to pimp your ***** out all you want but your ***** is costing too much coin for the service you are receiving
You say this.... yet similar defencemen get paid similar amounts of money to what he is paid. Heck, the Islanders offered Komisarek more money than the Leafs.

Quote:
Umm...

Streit
Hamonic
Andy Macdonald
Radek Martinek

He would very much be on our 3rd pairing..... or at least fifth/sixth on our depth chart.

He also would have to approve a trade here. He dissed the Isles after signing in Toronto, so it's doubtful he approves even if we still wanted him.
Like I said, the gross underrating of Leafs players continues. The Islanders don't know what a top shutdown defenceman looks like, because they've been flooded with bottom-pairing talent the last few years. Komisarek would easily be their 2nd best defenceman, so he would be 2nd on the depth chart, and play on one of the top two pairs.

Quote:
You've got to love it.... Leafs fans acting like used car salesman trying to sell other people their junk. If Komisarek is so great, maybe you should keep him. LMAO
If Komisarek fit in our system and/or we didn't have younger options, we would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIONBOZAK View Post

He's a major misfit on this team. A real hockey fan would observe that Toronto relies on heavy puckmovement from the blueline, and he is the worst puckmover on the team. When Toronto loses it's two best puckmovers in a period of ~2 weeks, that's not going to open up any ice time for the worst puckmover on the team. The way to open up ice time is to lose a guy like Phaneuf/Schenn.

Quote:

Help up front? puckmoving? goaltending?

Komisarek is/was the reason we couldn't keep Kaberle. He is the reason that we won't be able to overpay key free agents. He's occupying a 3rd pair roster spot that we can fill adequately with Keith Aulie's $700k. His game isn't going to rebound in Toronto (although it hasn't even been that bad, just not playing enough minutes), he needs a change of scenery where he'll get bettter and more opportunity.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:

as usual a very reasonable post. I can always depend on you and Almo to use logic in your reasoning

the only question I see, is now that Komisarek has the contract is he willing to make the adjustments necessary or will he be like many athletes today who see no need to until the contract is about to run out

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:16 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
Works for the Isles imo.
I think they'd need some sort of incentive like a pick or prospect to take on Komisarek's deal for a longer term than the guys they're giving up in this proposal.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Mr V

If the Isles wanted to get anyone at all like Komi, they would have claimed Souray off of waivers for half price. They obviously have no interest at all in trading for Komiserik.

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

First off, I think the return for Kaberle (good player), Beuchemin (meh) and Versteeg (good, but didn't fit in TO) has been - all things considered - pretty doggone good. If anything, it's money off the books for a few new faces with potential and a shot at drafting a few more pieces to the future puzzle.

Now, IF Snow would believe that Komisarek could rebound here on the Island with a new lease on life (I don't believe it) AND Burke was really of the opinion that Mike simply must be moved in order to obtain some wiggle room for other guys he'd rather be paying (something I can very much believe in), I as a fan wouldn't mind seeing something like the following:

Mottau (+1 year on current contract), Hunter (+2 years), Schremp (RFA)

for

Komisarek (+3 years), Muller (+1 year), Holzer (+1 year)

I know some Leafs fans may cringe a bit, but if we're honest, this is not something Burke would shun away from if he trully desires to get Komisarek off the books. The Leafs have a veritable bundle of middle-of-the-road prospects and these two Germans are a part of that bundle. Both have guys ahead of them on the depth chart.

This being said, I dunno if players currently on the IR can be traded???

If THIS is considered giving the Isles too much, then I'd be hardpressed to think of anything else the Leafs could do to entice 'not-changing-course, steady-slow-as-molasses-rebuild' Snow, seeing as how assuming a contract like Komisarek's would be a pretty radical change of pace for the Islanders in recent years.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Mike Komisarek; 4.5M per through 2013/14
for

He'd be the isles highest paid d-man.What a joke that'd be.

Komi made it clear he doesn't want to play for the isles.

And considering his play + his salary,I don't want him playing for the isles

Last edited by CREW99AW: 02-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.
CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:28 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
as usual a very reasonable post. I can always depend on you and Almo to use logic in your reasoning

the only question I see, is now that Komisarek has the contract is he willing to make the adjustments necessary or will he be like many athletes today who see no need to until the contract is about to run out
And that's really the question - can/will he develop his game like he has to. Like somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, we saw Hal Gill go through a similar evolution over time. No guarantees, but I think he can be a useful player if people don't get too hung up on his salary.

Quote:
Help up front? puckmoving? goaltending?

Komisarek is/was the reason we couldn't keep Kaberle. He is the reason that we won't be able to overpay key free agents. He's occupying a 3rd pair roster spot that we can fill adequately with Keith Aulie's $700k. His game isn't going to rebound in Toronto (although it hasn't even been that bad, just not playing enough minutes), he needs a change of scenery where he'll get bettter and more opportunity.
I don't know. I read this, and he doesn't sound so bad after all.

Quote:
Komisarek is easily a top 4 defenceman on at least 50% of the teams in the league. In the case of the Islanders, he would be easily their 2nd best behind Streit and is a much better defenceman than any of those other 5 guys. He may not play on their top pair, but the only reason for that would be to spread veteran wealth.
I mean, either he really sucks and won't rebound, or he can improve his game. It doesn't magically happen when he switches teams. Right now, he needs to gain some trust from the coaching staff, and only he can do that. Finishing out the year strongly would be a good start.

Last edited by grabo84: 02-21-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
HOCKEYGOON

I rather keep Komi

Eaton and Hunter are scrubs.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
lmao at jfried saying komi would be the isles second best dman

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Phaneuf is Phaneuf

Toronto needs to stop trying to move Komisarek, which won't happen, and try to make him play better instead. Maybe petition the league to allow female players so that he will up his physical game.

Phaneuf is Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
BlamBlam

So Islanders just feel like wasting money again?

BlamBlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
I don't know. I read this, and he doesn't sound so bad after all.

I mean, either he really sucks and won't rebound, or he can improve his game. It doesn't magically happen when he switches teams. Right now, he needs to gain some trust from the coaching staff, and only he can do that. Finishing out the year strongly would be a good start.
Komisarek can improve his game -- that just isn't going to happen in Toronto. That's what happens when a player becomes a major misfit who needs a change of scenery. He's never going to be a natural puckmover, and as long as Wilson is here, Toronto will be a team that relies heavily on puckmovement from the defence. Toronto has Luke Schenn adn Dion Phaneuf who are better puckmovers, and as long as those guys are here, Komisarek won't have an opportunity to prove himself.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Komisarek can improve his game -- that just isn't going to happen in Toronto. That's what happens when a player becomes a major misfit who needs a change of scenery. He's never going to be a natural puckmover, and as long as Wilson is here, Toronto will be a team that relies heavily on puckmovement from the defence. Toronto has Luke Schenn adn Dion Phaneuf who are better puckmovers, and as long as those guys are here, Komisarek won't have an opportunity to prove himself.
which is exactly why the Isles Wouldnt want him

you know Jfried, if you really believe what you are saying, Why not trade either Schenn or Phaneuf, who actually have value for something the Leafs need and then Komisarek will actually have a position on your team and youd have a net improvement

There may be upside in acquiring a player like that and hoping he rediscovers his game, but whatever upside there is, is far outweighed by the likelihood that a player in that position will continue to suck and put the acquiring team in the very position you are trying to get out of

Quote:
Komisarek is/was the reason we couldn't keep Kaberle. He is the reason that we won't be able to overpay key free agents. He's occupying a 3rd pair roster spot that we can fill adequately with Keith Aulie's $700k.
Why would any team willingly risk putting themselves in the position you so graphically describe? you might take that risk for a former superstar, who has hit hard times, but for a player like Komisarek?????? even at his best he wasnt all that good

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote