HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

43rd Obsequious Banter Thread - Biron Tap

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Angriest Cities in America (Note, 100 is the highest (most angry)):

http://www.menshealth.com/health/angry-cities

I'd pull out the 30 NHL cities but don't have time...4 of them are in the Top 10.
Other cities ahead of us? **** them, we're #1!

Old
02-20-2011, 11:10 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
To all those who don't live in PA, look up THON! It's where I am right now and I may be a little delirious, but it's a great event that goes for a great cause.

Yeah THON was ridiculous this year I heard. Raised like 9 million for cancer. I never really went to THON while I was here. Its a great cause but since I didn't know how to take part I never really desired to go see it first hand.

Old
02-20-2011, 11:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yeah THON was ridiculous this year I heard. Raised like 9 million for cancer. I never really went to THON while I was here. Its a great cause but since I didn't know how to take part I never really desired to go see it first hand.
I kinda have a bias against THON, because anyone I've seen talk about it so much is a total ****ing *****. So honestly, I couldn't care less. I'd rather do Relay for Life.

Old
02-20-2011, 11:22 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I kinda have a bias against THON, because anyone I've seen talk about it so much is a total ****ing *****. So honestly, I couldn't care less. I'd rather do Relay for Life.
Yeah, I feel like it does give people some "holier than thou" attitude when really its alot of just frat guys that only do it to meet the girls in their group and stuck up girls that do THON but than act like a ***** the everybody else the rest of the semester.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yeah, I feel like it does give people some "holier than thou" attitude when really its alot of just frat guys that only do it to meet the girls in their group and stuck up girls that do THON but than act like a ***** the everybody else the rest of the semester.
Yeah the Greeks distort THON a lot, but the special interest groups that are devoted to THON really live up to its core values. I'm in Springfield this year as a freshman and actually meeting the Four Diamonds families really humbles you and makes you want to do all you can to help.

So basically **** the Greeks, special interest groups are what THON really is.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

One of my friends is in on the whole THON thing, she's pretty involved. She may be one the ones who started it, I don't really remember right. But she's really excited and happy of the turnout and such.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Can somebody explain just exactly what this THON thing is? Everytime I read over the posts really fast I keep reading TRON.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Thon is a Penn State fundraiser for something. its basically a marathon dance.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The thing about THON is, is that I can literally name 2 people right off the bat that are complete and utter *****es as people. One actually goes to Penn State and the other has a boyfriend that does and man... both of them are just huge *****es. One I know is just a **** (one of those cliche choosy *****) and the other just loves to **** over other people and be ignorant to all the **** that goes on around her. So yeah, **** THON, they may do hard work, but doesn't mean the people are worth working with.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Ghost of Downie*

THON is a Penn State fundraiser that benefits the Four Diamonds fund, which is a fund that supports families dealing with pediatric cancer. Basically the Four Diamonds fund pays for everything that insurance won't cover, including transportation costs to and from Hershey Medical Center, food and housing for extended stays there, and even some Christmas presents for the kids and their siblings.

I really do respect the Greeks for the money they raise and for the foundations of THON but I've heard some bad things about them, like requiring members to each raise a minimum amount, pregaming canning, and just overall disinterest. The people who are truly involved in THON are some of the nicest, most generous and enthusiastic people I've ever met, and the kids are so sweet. They just want to have playtime and really warm up to anyone they meet. Really the thing to remember is that there may be some bad apples in THON, but the vast majority are in it for the right reasons.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I finally got a call for a job I applied for and they are going to pass my resume along to the HR department and try to schedule an interview ! $15 an hour for software testing on mobile apps/games.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:43 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Quote:
The thing about THON is, is that I can literally name 2 people right off the bat that are complete and utter *****es as people. One actually goes to Penn State and the other has a boyfriend that does and man... both of them are just huge *****es. One I know is just a **** (one of those cliche choosy *****) and the other just loves to **** over other people and be ignorant to all the **** that goes on around her. So yeah, **** THON, they may do hard work, but doesn't mean the people are worth working with.
Two people suck, so yeah, everyone affected by pediatric cancer? **** off.

Old
02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
JVR21
G

Well, Bell sucked a big one tonight for Nova. Missed crucial free throws in the final minutes and had a brutal giveaway on the final possession.

Old
02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Terence Peterman

"Cuckold" is a fantastic word.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So yeah, I might not take the job I was thinking of maybe taking. Mainly because if it is a contract job and it is full time, it can hurt what I do have planned for getting a better job. But the reason I might not take it is because I already have 2 things planned for the year (one in the beginning of April and the other at end of July) and then I was thinking of going to BCCC (Bucks County Community College) to get my Cisco certification there, along with getting my A+ and Net+ certifications as well. I figured out that a full time job would kill my ability to take these sort of things. I know that if I were to get these certifications, I would have a much better understanding of my major and also a better chance of getting a higher end job, but I'd have to wait at least a full year before that. Tell me what you guys think.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
So yeah, I might not take the job I was thinking of maybe taking. Mainly because if it is a contract job and it is full time, it can hurt what I do have planned for getting a better job. But the reason I might not take it is because I already have 2 things planned for the year (one in the beginning of April and the other at end of July) and then I was thinking of going to BCCC (Bucks County Community College) to get my Cisco certification there, along with getting my A+ and Net+ certifications as well. I figured out that a full time job would kill my ability to take these sort of things. I know that if I were to get these certifications, I would have a much better understanding of my major and also a better chance of getting a higher end job, but I'd have to wait at least a full year before that. Tell me what you guys think.
I think you should exhaust yourself and do as much of that as possible in addition to the job. Night classes, abbreviated trips, whatever, but it sounds as though you've got a lot of opportunity in that post and I think the biggest part is the job. Worst case scenario in taking it is you don't necessarily get to do the things you planned for April and June and you get your certs a little slower. But, that's only bad for now -- you'll be able to save money or put it towards getting out more on your own (or both), and the delay in certification won't be terribly long. Even if the job sucks, it's probably the best thing because, along with getting those certifications, it'll make you even more marketable. I don't know what you've got planned, but doing a ton now leaves a very good chance to have positioned yourself well in a couple years and you can start to catch up on some of that other stuff.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I agree with Rick's take on it, I also think you mentioned earlier in the thread you have some peripheral personal **** going on. Take the job, and be self-sufficient now for the sake of your own sanity. It's important to work towards the goals you mentioned, but not at the expense of your own health and happiness now. Take the job, get your own place or at least hit up the aunt and uncle and get on your feet. There will always be time for more education.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

At this present point, experience is definitely greater than education. If you have an opportunity to get good experience, go for it.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Terence Peterman

I've been looking for a new job to hold me over for the next year or so before I become inundated with the mental hurricane that is student teaching, and I'm finding ads and postings wanting years of experience for things like janitorial positions.

That's not a slight towards custodial work, but it blew my mind a little bit that they were requiring (not preferring) it. I've been doing things like that for years, only without being under that title, so it kinda sucks. I can't imagine what experience can do for one in other fields right now. (I'm sure some posters a few years older than me can, however.)

Old
02-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I've been looking for a new job to hold me over for the next year or so before I become inundated with the mental hurricane that is student teaching, and I'm finding ads and postings wanting years of experience for things like janitorial positions.

That's not a slight towards custodial work, but it blew my mind a little bit that they were requiring (not preferring) it. I've been doing things like that for years, only without being under that title, so it kinda sucks. I can't imagine what experience can do for one in other fields right now. (I'm sure some posters a few years older than me can, however.)
As the economy began plummeting, I got to watch the requirements for jobs I was trying to apply for skyrocket. I saw positions where it took a full-blown PhD to match 3 years of prior experience at entry level positions. When I graduated, one year of grad school generally did the same thing for the fancier jobs, and a simple BA handled the rest.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The problem with having the job plus the Cisco courses to get my certifications at BCCC is that from when I last saw that they had the courses starting back in August or something like that, they only had classes during the day time, which means I would of run into some crazy problems with that and work. I know my grandmother, aunt and uncle will help pay for my education, even if a few loans needs to be brought out, but the other problem is, how things are, if I were to get this job, I wouldn't have my own place off the bat. More than likely I'd have to drive to work from here and on a work day, it will take me at least an hour to get to work (from here to Newtown it takes 35 minutes without traffic problems, but it takes about 47 for me to get where I used to work) and the new job would be in Conshohocken (48 mins via Google and on a work day, I'd say at least an hour and 10 minutes). No payment on the gas and getting there, waking up early would be a total *****. Considering how bad of gas mileage I have on my CR-V, it's going to suck to drive there and back and probably have to pay gas about every other day or so. I know some people go further for work, but they also get paid more than $15 an hour. Just a few minutes ago I did apply at the CVS stores in the area to be a pharmacy tech (I was one for a month) and be able to take their test and get paid decently until I finished all my classes and certifications. I'm not just going to rely on CVS, I will look for other opportunities. But I think I might be trying to have all my goals at once, in the same basket and try to find jobs from there. With a Cisco Certification, you can get anywhere between 40K and 60K as an Network Admin and 50K and 75K as a Network Engineer. Even Sr. Systems Engineers (after working for a long time) can get 70K to 100K a year. Plus I'm sure having the A+ and Net+ will really help that cause.

Right now I don't feel confident in myself from what I've learned from my 5 years of college (graduated in May 2010) and by taking these certifications and classes, I feel that I will have a new sense in what I can and cannot do in the IT world.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:47 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I agree with Rick's take on it, I also think you mentioned earlier in the thread you have some peripheral personal **** going on. Take the job, and be self-sufficient now for the sake of your own sanity. It's important to work towards the goals you mentioned, but not at the expense of your own health and happiness now. Take the job, get your own place or at least hit up the aunt and uncle and get on your feet. There will always be time for more education.
This. Plus, the advent of long distance, online education is perfect for people in your position.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

When it comes to Cisco certification, I really don't trust doing it online. I'm great when it comes to hands on work and actually doing something with things in front of me.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Right now I don't feel confident in myself from what I've learned from my 5 years of college (graduated in May 2010) and by taking these certifications and classes, I feel that I will have a new sense in what I can and cannot do in the IT world.
I'm not trying to discount what you said or your reasons for potentially not taking the job, but I would say to strongly search for definite support to what I left quoted. Continuing education is definitely a good thing, but anyone can do it (just think about all the professors you had to call "Dr." in college, and how many of them you knew were complete dolts). The job experience isn't necessarily something everyone has the opportunity to acquire.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I really should upgrade the pickups and electronics in my bass, but I can't decide if i can be bothered.

Closed Thread