HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Realistic players to target at the trade deadline

Old
02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
We don't have any third line centers. Oh and by the way, Peverely would be our leading center scorer right now, while making about a million less than Gaustad, more than 2 million less than Hecht, and about 3 million less than Connolly.

Maybe the reason why we never hear about Sabres trade rumors is because Darcy never bothers to ****ing ask if any players are available. Peverely was definitely somebody we could use in our line-up right now. I had no idea Atlanta was willing to trade him, especially at the kind of cost (we could've easily matched that Wheeler-Stuart return). I'm sure Darcy had no idea either ...
I'll just play the other side of the argument, Peverley seems to get more than third line ice time.

The only Sabre forward with more ice time per game than Peverley is Derek Roy.

Sorry about the horrible chart configuration. I blame NHL.com

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
^I don't think that's actually true about NYR fans... I might be wrong, but I think they're tired of it by now.

IMO, a blockbuster trade >>> a medium trade. It's like 1st overall vs 15th overall. 15th overall might get you a very good player, but generally you aren't going to get significantly better unless you have a 1st overall talent.
You're missing my point. Too many people just want that high that comes from making a trade. They want their cookie, and they want it yesterday. Darcy owes them their cookie! "Every" other fanbase gets their cookie, but Sabres fans aren't getting their cookies! That's the way that many posters act around the deadline and the free agency period. Read the post I was replying to earlier.

I don't want them to be active for the sake of being active so that we can all ***-slap each other and have a 40-page thread about the implications of a trade. I want to see them being active to address deficiencies. I'll be happier with a Bryan Allen-for-3rd rounder trade if it makes us better than a Roy + Sekera + Stafford for Jarret Stoll + Loktionov + 2nd trade would.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

B...b...but I want a cookie!

(Edit: or at the very least get this **** sandwich off my plate!)

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'll be happier with a Bryan Allen-for-3rd rounder trade if it makes us better than a Roy + Sekera + Stafford for Jarret Stoll + Loktionov + 2nd trade would.
I agree, butut that 2nd one isn't really a fair example because we would definitely lose that trade.

If it was more like Roy + Sekera + Stafford for Schenn + JJ + Loktionov then I'm not sure I'd agree. That trade would possibly give us our future #1 and #2 centers as well as a potential #1-B d-man to pair with Myers.

I don't think we should make a blockbuster trade just to make a blockbuster trade, but a blockbuster trade that addresses our needs and that is fair value (or that we win) would go much further to making us a contender than trading a 3rd for Bryan Allen.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I'd just lock this thread and give everyone a free coupon for a fifth of jameson.

Because trade deadline for the Sabres is gonna be a snore.

Too close to sell (except maybe Rivet), not solidly in enough to buy.

Rivet for a 4th.

And maybe secondary scoring winger for a 3rd+prospect

...and that's it. Seriously.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
We don't have any third line centers. Oh and by the way, Peverely would be our leading center scorer right now, while making about a million less than Gaustad, more than 2 million less than Hecht, and about 3 million less than Connolly.

Maybe the reason why we never hear about Sabres trade rumors is because Darcy never bothers to ****ing ask if any players are available. Peverely was definitely somebody we could use in our line-up right now. I had no idea Atlanta was willing to trade him, especially at the kind of cost (we could've easily matched that Wheeler-Stuart return). I'm sure Darcy had no idea either ...
Actually we do.... Goose.

Peverly is a 3rd line center talent that put up the numbers he has in Atlanta due first playing with Kovy after he arrived there. Then this year playing top line minutes and being on the #1 PP unit

This year Peverly was Atlanta's #1 center (at least based on minutes played. He was playing 19+min a night (14:31 at ES and 3:08 on the PP, 2nd among Atlanta forwards in both). He is a .58ppg player and was on pace for 19g 28a 47pts -22 in 82gms. Those are pretty bad numbers for a #1 center. By comparison Connolly is a .59 ppg player as our 2nd line center and most want to run him out of town.

You can't compare the numbers Peverly put up playing with the likes of Kane, Ladd, Stewart and Bergfors on their #1 PP unit and top lines getting 19+min a night. To Goose who plays with such offensive dynamos as Grier, Nieds, Kaleta and McCormick. The only guy he occassionally plays with with some offensive chops is Gerbe. Goose doesn't get much PP ice time any more and averages about 5mins less a night (14:42) than Peverly. Although since Roy went down Goose is playing 16-17min a night.

The point being is Peverly wouldn't be putting up those numbers if he was playing the same role Goose is with the same linemates Goose has had. Peverly riminds me of Moore in Toronto. A 3rd line center getting minutes he never would on a decent team or a team with decent center depth.

Having said all of the above, he would have been a nice addition. Putting him with Goose would have given us a great 1-2 punch at the dot on our checking line with Peverly at 55.5% (17th overall) and Goose at 59.3 (3rd overall). Plus Peverly can play in all situations. So we would have two strong faceoff centers in the lineup that can play in any situation.

Now Boston will have that with Peverly/Kelly on the same line with Ryder.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
I'd just lock this thread and give everyone a free coupon for a fifth of jameson.

Because trade deadline for the Sabres is gonna be a snore.

Too close to sell (except maybe Rivet), not solidly in enough to buy.

Rivet for a 4th.

And maybe secondary scoring winger for a 3rd+prospect

...and that's it. Seriously.
You didn't hear Regier say he wants to be active this year? when his comments every other year is that we rather make moves in the offseason?

With Pegula coming in Regier will be in the mindset that he has to prove himself in order to keep his job. Regier in my opinion will be bolder than the past because of this

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:18 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
You didn't hear Regier say he wants to be active this year? when his comments every other year is that we rather make moves in the offseason?

With Pegula coming in Regier will be in the mindset that he has to prove himself in order to keep his job. Regier in my opinion will be bolder than the past because of this
You know. I have some great real estate in florida for sale....

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Connolly for Eakin works for me

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:02 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
So I decided to do a drive-by reading of Eklund's site and discovered two things:

1) The Sabres apparently are desperate to trade for Semin

2) Stephen Weiss has a shot of ending up in Buffalo... along with 6(!) other teams

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Eakin is certainly closer to the aggressive style of player that Regier has been drafting in the last few years. Johansson might also be someone they would ask for. Perreault and a pick would probably be the initial offer... but the Caps likely would part with futures like Eakin or Johansson if the deal was right.

02-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You're missing my point. Too many people just want that high that comes from making a trade. They want their cookie, and they want it yesterday. Darcy owes them their cookie! "Every" other fanbase gets their cookie, but Sabres fans aren't getting their cookies! That's the way that many posters act around the deadline and the free agency period. Read the post I was replying to earlier.

I don't want them to be active for the sake of being active so that we can all ***-slap each other and have a 40-page thread about the implications of a trade. I want to see them being active to address deficiencies. I'll be happier with a Bryan Allen-for-3rd rounder trade if it makes us better than a Roy + Sekera + Stafford for Jarret Stoll + Loktionov + 2nd trade would.
We probably got the biggest cookie with Pegula.

Last edited by Duddy: 02-22-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I would take that and run, even if it meant having to deal with people only checking his HockeyDB page and then whining that Regier got "another midget." He got traded to Kootenay at the WHL deadline, so it's possible that the Sabres have seen more of him if they've been watching McNabb this season, which I assume they are.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote