HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the other GM's just hate dealing with Lombardi?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2011, 05:40 PM
  #76
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If Dallas had wanted Jack Johnson they would have had to give up Benn and a high pick. I would have been pissed if the return on him was Neal and Niskanen. Jack has a much more rounded game than Goligoski.
I know he does but DAL wouldn't accept Martinez, Hickey, Voinov or anyone else.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:43 PM
  #77
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I know he does but DAL wouldn't accept Martinez, Hickey, Voinov or anyone else.
I agree with you, which is why I said if it was Jack they were after, I would want Benn and a high pick. A price I doubt they would be willing to pay.

They weren't too happy with Neal and many think trading Niskanen is addition by subtraction, so Dallas fans like this deal. I don't think they are wrong. Of course some less intelligent fans will come back and say look how great Neal is doing on Crosby's line. That means Neal is a very good player. Really?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:53 PM
  #78
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Of course some less intelligent fans will come back and say look how great Neal is doing on Crosby's line. That means Neal is a very good player. Really?
.....much like the LA fans pointing out how Moulson, Purcell, etc are doing these days with other teams. the same people that every year 'demand' that DL make a trade/roster move to 'shake' things up and inspire the team. those shake-ups have cost LA for decades, thank god that **** seems to have diminished to almost none now.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:36 PM
  #79
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
.....much like the LA fans pointing out how Moulson, Purcell, etc are doing these days with other teams. the same people that every year 'demand' that DL make a trade/roster move to 'shake' things up and inspire the team. those shake-ups have cost LA for decades, thank god that **** seems to have diminished to almost none now.
So it's not possible to make a move that actually, you know, improves the team? Or is that too much to ask of a GM? Honestly I thought it was an integral part of the position.

The way it seems now DL has the perfect team and is just waiting for his prospects to come forward and replace the veterans who will be dropping off. I'm OK with that approach, but hope it pays off soon, as in "before he gets the axe". Because you know what could happen if someone new comes in...

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
  #80
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Do you really think Dallas would trade those two guys to a division rival?
No but do you think DL could involve himself in some of these trades and maybe make it a three-way deal?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:13 PM
  #81
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
.....much like the LA fans pointing out how Moulson, Purcell, etc are doing these days with other teams. the same people that every year 'demand' that DL make a trade/roster move to 'shake' things up and inspire the team. those shake-ups have cost LA for decades, thank god that **** seems to have diminished to almost none now.
Yeah I'm so glad that LA has a dozen NHL-ready defensemen yet still lacks a top line LW.

Let's keep things as they are.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:07 PM
  #82
kingscourt26
Registered User
 
kingscourt26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Yeah I'm so glad that LA has a dozen NHL-ready defensemen yet still lacks a top line LW.

Let's keep things as they are.
It's all part of Murray's system...

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
  #83
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
No but do you think DL could involve himself in some of these trades and maybe make it a three-way deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Yeah I'm so glad that LA has a dozen NHL-ready defensemen yet still lacks a top line LW.

Let's keep things as they are.
DL has to make some type of move, but im praying it's not some ridiculous move for the sake of just making one. ie, trade for the likes of Booth, Hemsky, Penner, etc....the usual crowd. trading for these guys will result in LA having to give up a roster, prospect and pick. imo it's to much for what is realistically a L2/L3 caliber player, but that is the demand/supply price tag that's been established.

at this point i would rather see him trade some D prospects for F prospects. he has a glut of D talent that in all likelihood will NEVER play in LA, so now is the time to make some trades with teams that need some D prospects in exchange for offensive talent. LA is still a few years out from seriously contending. there will be an influx of more 'youngsters' from MAN to LA that need to be seasoned. the sooner DL brings in some talented F prospects the sooner the org moves forward.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:19 PM
  #84
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
DL has to make some type of move, but im praying it's not some ridiculous move for the sake of just making one. ie, trade for the likes of Booth, Hemsky, Penner, etc....the usual crowd. trading for these guys will result in LA having to give up a roster, prospect and pick. imo it's to much for what is realistically a L2/L3 caliber player, but that is the demand/supply price tag that's been established.

at this point i would rather see him trade some D prospects for F prospects. he has a glut of D talent that in all likelihood will NEVER play in LA, so now is the time to make some trades with teams that need some D prospects in exchange for offensive talent. LA is still a few years out from seriously contending. there will be an influx of more 'youngsters' from MAN to LA that need to be seasoned. the sooner DL brings in some talented F prospects the sooner the org moves forward.
Exactly. Why is DL hoarding D-men that will never see a game for Los Angeles?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
  #85
Maynard
Registered User
 
Maynard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
No but do you think DL could involve himself in some of these trades and maybe make it a three-way deal?
You know, I think I actually agree with you. I mean, Dallas and Pittsburgh were making a trade and obviously all the GM's KNOW about all trades before they happen. DL should just call them and say "whoa whoa whoa...everyone stop. I'm involving myself in this trade and there's nothing you can do about it." Simple.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:43 PM
  #86
Martyros
Registered User
 
Martyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Holly Hood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 5,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You know, I think I actually agree with you. I mean, Dallas and Pittsburgh were making a trade and obviously all the GM's KNOW about all trades before they happen. DL should just call them and say "whoa whoa whoa...everyone stop. I'm involving myself in this trade and there's nothing you can do about it." Simple.
That's what Burke did, kept throwing Bozak into the equation and both Sherman and DL had enough and just gave up asking for Stastny/Bernier.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM
  #87
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You know, I think I actually agree with you. I mean, Dallas and Pittsburgh were making a trade and obviously all the GM's KNOW about all trades before they happen. DL should just call them and say "whoa whoa whoa...everyone stop. I'm involving myself in this trade and there's nothing you can do about it." Simple.
Yeah that's it. Let's all assume Lombardi is clueless and has no idea what trades are being discussed around the league. It makes it so much easier for his supporters to make sarcastic jokes.

Do you honestly think Lombardi had no idea that Neal was being shopped?

One would hope that an NHL GM would have enough creativity and camaraderie with fellow GMs to improve his team.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
  #88
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Yeah that's it. Let's all assume Lombardi is clueless and has no idea what trades are being discussed around the league. It makes it so much easier for his supporters to make sarcastic jokes.

Do you honestly think Lombardi had no idea that Neal was being shopped?

One would hope that an NHL GM would have enough creativity and camaraderie with fellow GMs to improve his team.
LMAO of course he knew he was being shopped,

He also knew the sound of a dial tone as Nieuwendyk hung up on him.

He also knows the sound of laughter from fellow GM's at him for thinking Dallas would trade Neal to him, in one of the tightest playoff races in history,

But hey, let's hate on Lombardi because you didn't get your way! lmao seriously bud, give your head a shake.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
  #89
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LMAO of course he knew he was being shopped,

He also knew the sound of a dial tone as Nieuwendyk hung up on him.

He also knows the sound of laughter from fellow GM's at him for thinking Dallas would trade Neal to him, in one of the tightest playoff races in history,

But hey, let's hate on Lombardi because you didn't get your way! lmao seriously bud, give your head a shake.
So are you agreeing with me?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:03 PM
  #90
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
So are you agreeing with me?
No, I was mocking you.

But yea, we can call it agreeing if it means we can just get along.

Any notion that you have that DL can just create a three way with a division rival is ridiculous.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
  #91
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
So it's not possible to make a move that actually, you know, improves the team? Or is that too much to ask of a GM? Honestly I thought it was an integral part of the position.

The way it seems now DL has the perfect team and is just waiting for his prospects to come forward and replace the veterans who will be dropping off. I'm OK with that approach, but hope it pays off soon, as in "before he gets the axe". Because you know what could happen if someone new comes in...
How is the team not better? They are younger than last season and withing striking distance of a division title. The team will get younger again next season. Likely younger and better, although more inconsistent.

Lombardi has stockpiled the assets to make a deal for what he needs. I am not convinced that this is the best time to spend them. More bang for the buck can be had in the off season.

I don't think the other GMs hate dealing with with Lombardi. They just hate Kings fans that don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Exactly. Why is DL hoarding D-men that will never see a game for Los Angeles?
If Dean could trade put together a package of Moller and Teubert/Muzzin/Martinez/Hickey (or maybe even two of these guys), he probably already would have done it.

The asking price for any forward that would probably make a significant difference is probably Johnson.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
  #92
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
No, I was mocking you.

But yea, we can call it agreeing if it means we can just get along.

Any notion that you have that DL can just create a three way with a division rival is ridiculous.
If you read what I wrote, you'd find that you agreed with my statement that DL knew Neal was being shopped.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:58 PM
  #93
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
If you read what I wrote, you'd find that you agreed with my statement that DL knew Neal was being shopped.
Oh that I agreed with,

It was the laughable notion that DL could just insert himself in a trade negotiation that was....well...laughable.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
  #94
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
How can you be so certain that none of our talented young D prospects will ever see a game with the Kings Adevandry?

Isn't at least possible that once they have developed and are ready the same people who signed/drafted them will help bring them onto the team and maybe help move an aging or oft injured veteran? Its just my opinion but I think that it is possible at least that we might bring up one or two of them over the next season or two and move along one or two vets once if the kids are ready to take their place.

Its only my opinion but I think it is at least possible.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:01 PM
  #95
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
How can you be so certain that none of our talented young D prospects will ever see a game with the Kings Adevandry?

Isn't at least possible that once they have developed and are ready the same people who signed/drafted them will help bring them onto the team and maybe help move an aging or oft injured veteran? Its just my opinion but I think that it is possible at least that we might bring up one or two of them over the next season or two and move along one or two vets once if the kids are ready to take their place.

Its only my opinion but I think it is at least possible.
Sure it's possible. But DL is sitting on these possible d-men and we're still waiting for top-6 forwards. I'm just getting frustrated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Voynov threaten to go back to Russia if he wasn't in the NHL this season?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
  #96
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I would have to see a link to be certain but it has been said that Voynov had said something to that effect at one time but I would feel better about being certain if I saw a link to the article where he is to have said such a thing.

I totally understand your frustration and can only say that I am just on the other side of where you are at on how to deal with the cause of it.

I see us as being better off not trying to solve major problems during the season unless an absolutely perfect situation pops up or unless you have no other option but to make a deal.


I see us as having several other options and while I don't like our current teams make up and absolutely see two holes that need to be addressed before in my opinion we can become a legitimate contender, I am of the opinion that we have a better chance to address them this offseason and that our own system might provide us with the ability to do so in one case if not two or three.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
  #97
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I would have to see a link to be certain but it has been said that Voynov had said something to that effect at one time but I would feel better about being certain if I saw a link to the article where he is to have said such a thing.

I totally understand your frustration and can only say that I am just on the other side of where you are at on how to deal with the cause of it.

I see us as being better off not trying to solve major problems during the season unless an absolutely perfect situation pops up or unless you have no other option but to make a deal.


I see us as having several other options and while I don't like our current teams make up and absolutely see two holes that need to be addressed before in my opinion we can become a legitimate contender, I am of the opinion that we have a better chance to address them this offseason and that our own system might provide us with the ability to do so in one case if not two or three.
I hope so. I just don't see it getting any easier to fill the top-6 holes in the offseason. It's frustrating seeing contenders make trades while DL sits back and watches - while his team is on the outside looking in.

The Kings should be buyers this year, yet they aren't.

I would also really like to know for sure if Voynov made that NHL or bust statement.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
  #98
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I understand.

It makes sense to me that it will be easier to address our needs this offseason simply because of the amount of options that will open up to us.

On our end we will have allot of cap space open up with the players from our current team that will be moving on and we have the ability to address some of these holes cheaply and effectively from within our own system in my opinion.

We also have let our talented kids develop for an entire season more and that in my opinion and understanding of things is a pretty big deal to those who might be interested in such things.

I don't have perfect faith that DL will actually sign one of the UFA's available this summer that could greatly help us but we will have better bargaining chips in my opinion then we do today.

We will also be able to negotiate from a clean slate again, other GM's may know what we are looking for but we won't be up against the wall to accomplish something and as such will be able to negotiate without the added pressure in my opinion.

Your passion is bang on and I am being awfully cavalier with other people's money and emotional investment but in my opinion unless we made a deal that perfectly addressed our needs and didn't cost us the farm and a few of our young talented roster players I think that we aren't yet at legitimate contenders and that we will be better served waiting.

I don't think that either of us or anyone else is right or wrong in my opinion on how to fix things, just different ways of looking at things. The thing that I like is seeing just how many passionate Kings fans that we have around here.

Its going to be an interesting time to be a Kings fan from here on out in my opinion, that is for certain.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:57 PM
  #99
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I understand.

It makes sense to me that it will be easier to address our needs this offseason simply because of the amount of options that will open up to us.

On our end we will have allot of cap space open up with the players from our current team that will be moving on and we have the ability to address some of these holes cheaply and effectively from within our own system in my opinion.
But don't the Kings have cap space now? It's not like they are at the cap, waiting til the season is over so player X is off the books and they can spend some $. They have the money and the room to make a move now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
We also have let our talented kids develop for an entire season more and that in my opinion and understanding of things is a pretty big deal to those who might be interested in such things.

I don't have perfect faith that DL will actually sign one of the UFA's available this summer that could greatly help us but we will have better bargaining chips in my opinion then we do today.

We will also be able to negotiate from a clean slate again, other GM's may know what we are looking for but we won't be up against the wall to accomplish something and as such will be able to negotiate without the added pressure in my opinion.

Your passion is bang on and I am being awfully cavalier with other people's money and emotional investment but in my opinion unless we made a deal that perfectly addressed our needs and didn't cost us the farm and a few of our young talented roster players I think that we aren't yet at legitimate contenders and that we will be better served waiting.

I don't think that either of us or anyone else is right or wrong in my opinion on how to fix things, just different ways of looking at things. The thing that I like is seeing just how many passionate Kings fans that we have around here.

Its going to be an interesting time to be a Kings fan from here on out in my opinion, that is for certain.
I understand what you are saying completely.

From my perspective, I've seen the "wait for the offseason and than we'll sign so-and-so" approach and that hasn't worked for the Kings for years. Either because the market dries out with players re-signing, or because some stupid team like the Rangers throws out ridiculous money, or because the player just doesn't want to play in L.A., or because the Devils cheat the system, or.... you get the picture.

I guess I am just not as optimistic as you for this coming offseason. As it is now there aren't very many impact free agents at all... plus all of the teams "selling" right now will be buyers for those free agents in the offseason, raising the demand, and forcing L.A. to compete with more teams for the select few players.

At least at this point there are only a handful of teams competing for players (and that also have cap space to take on such players).

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:12 AM
  #100
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I am too tired so I only gave your response a quick glance, sorry. But I do have a couple of quick thoughts.

One is it depends on what our actual cap might be. By that I mean that we fans really don't know how much DL is allowed to spend at this point so who knows? I do know that we will have plenty of cap space regardless of interpretation come the offseason.

As to one of your other points where you are saying that waiting hasn't worked for us in the past to that I can only say that we are a different team today then we were then or have been in years and years. I would typically be on your side of the fence here but not now simply because of the amount of depth that we have. We've never come close to this so I think that we have to throw out anything that happened before and base our opinions on these new grounds.

I will read more late tomorrow and try and add, sorry for running out of steam.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.