HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 New York Knicks Thread (Playoff Edition--All NBA Discussion)

View Poll Results: Melo is a Knick! Feelings on the deal?
Great trade! Terrific value, incredible player. 35 25.55%
Good trade. Melo is tremendous, but the price is a little steep. 69 50.36%
Not sure yet. I'll wait and see. 13 9.49%
Poor trade. Way too much was given up. 15 10.95%
Awful trade! Melo is not what we need, and we were fleeced. 5 3.65%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2011, 12:37 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
2010-2011 New York Knicks Thread (Playoff Edition--All NBA Discussion)

About time.

It's just pain.
Old
02-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Knicks baby.

Old
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
The Knicks are going to be sickkkk wait for CP3 or Williams and we got our own big 3

Old
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Which would be on Melo, no?

Ehhhhhhhhh I really don't know if i'm going to like him. Oh well, whatever wins, I guess.
Can't really blame him when you're taking 65mil guaranteed or who knows how much less.

I think he was hypocritical saying it was NYK or nothing & then having to back down but I don't blame him really. & in the end the trade wasn't a BAD deal for NYK it just wasn't the typical GREAT deal for a disgruntled star.

I stand by my comment earlier though. On the court for YOUR team, you're gonna love him.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:40 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Yup, it would be on him. It's a business though, not sure I really blame him.
I mean, I guess...but I still don't like Basketball the sport as much as hockey the sport and I really liked the character of the Knicks team we had constructed, so I'd be fine with that if this was Brad Richards, but Melo wanted to come here, he's going to make ASSloads of money, and he really made it so we were forced to get rid of some assets even though everyone knew he himself wanted to be here.

Still seems like a prima donna to me, and while I root my ass off for Stat and Fields, I'll always hold some contempt for Melo.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:42 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I mean, I guess...but I still don't like Basketball the sport as much as hockey the sport and I really liked the character of the Knicks team we had constructed, so I'd be fine with that if this was Brad Richards, but Melo wanted to come here, he's going to make ASSloads of money, and he really made it so we were forced to get rid of some assets even though everyone knew he himself wanted to be here.

Still seems like a prima donna to me, and while I root my ass off for Stat and Fields, I'll always hold some contempt for Melo.
That's fine, I don't blame you. I don't really have any feelings towards Melo one way or the other, past recognizing his talent. I'm glad he's here though. Hopefully he'll grow on all of us.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's fine, I don't blame you. I don't really have any feelings towards Melo one way or the other, past recognizing his talent. I'm glad he's here though. Hopefully he'll grow on all of us.
He has already grown on me. Much needed for this team.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:46 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:

How good were those assets though? All complimentary pieces which are dime a dozen in the NBA. In the NBA you win with experienced stars. High 1st rd picks can always be bought from high capped teams.

We also got Billups & Brewer(maybe a 1st).

WE GOT A GREAT PLAYER & gave up nothing of great singular value. This was a quantity for quality trade people get KILLED for on the trade board.

If all of the upping of the offers wasn't public people would think we stole Melo & Billups IMO.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:49 AM
GarretJoseph*

Had a lot of hope for the Russian and the Italian, Felton was a great great pick up by Donnie. Curry is a bump. I knew we'd lose Chandler in the off-season if we pushed hard for Melo so that was ok plus he's been playing crap for over a month now.

I'm ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED that we hung onto FIELDS!! This kid is gonna be a star.

MELO!! STAT!!! FIELDSY!!!

Old
02-22-2011, 12:49 AM
OverTheCap

I'm a Cuse fan who has followed Melo since 2002, and I think Knicks fans are going to love him.

He's in New York for all the right reasons... he wants to win a championship in New York, which is something that Lebron James either didn't want or didn't have the balls to try to do. Melo grew up in Brooklyn and went to high school in Virginia, but he returned to NY to play college ball and won a championship. NY has beckoned him once again, and hopefully the end result will be the same as it was in Syracuse.

Not to mention that he is a great talent and is such a thrill to watch.. I'm excited that I'll be able to watch him on a regular basis now.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
How good were those assets though? All complimentary pieces which are dime a dozen in the NBA. In the NBA you win with experienced stars. High 1st rd picks can always be bought from high capped teams.

WE GOT A GREAT PLAYER & gave up nothing of great singular value. This was a quantity for quality trade people get KILLED for on the trade board.

If all of the upping of the offers wasn't public people would think we stole Melo & Billups IMO.
THIS. Seriously, besides us Knick fans, how high to people around the NBA really grade the players we gave up?

Old
02-22-2011, 12:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I agree. I think that some are a little sour on this deal because we were initially hearing offers of Chandler/Fields/two #1s, or along those lines. The offers slowly increased in size, leading people to think we overpaid. In reality, the initial offers were vast underpayments for Melo. It just so happened that we didn't have nearly the leverage we initially hoped, so we had to pay closer to fair value.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:52 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

But the upping of the deal is what kills me. As a fan of the Knicks i'm torn, I liked the team for the first time since I decided what I could never do with the Rangers and stop watching because I was disgusted with management, and now that's all gone. And it's all gone BECAUSE of that management. On the other hand, the deal really isn't that bad from a success standpoint at all, and I agree we did get very good quality out of it even with Dolan throwing pieces into the deal for the sake of throwing pieces into the deal.

If we beat the Heat in the upcoming game because of Melo, consider me on the wagon.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Totally understand your concerns, BB. It would be like if we shipped Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Girardi out in some deal for a couple great players. Yeah, it's great to upgrade the team, but we gave up our guys that we loved.

Hopefully Melo tears **** up and everything is gravy.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

People love role players in retrospect. When the team is losing and is average at best night after night because of them, the tone is usually different.

It's pretty hypocritical to champion these guys who are average league-wide, then bash management for delivering a average league-wide team.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:58 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
But the upping of the deal is what kills me. As a fan of the Knicks i'm torn, I liked the team for the first time since I decided what I could never do with the Rangers and stop watching because I was disgusted with management, and now that's all gone. And it's all gone BECAUSE of that management. On the other hand, the deal really isn't that bad from a success standpoint at all, and I agree we did get very good quality out of it even with Dolan throwing pieces into the deal for the sake of throwing pieces into the deal.

If we beat the Heat in the upcoming game because of Melo, consider me on the wagon.
It won't be long before the Knicks are in a super tight game down the stretch & Melo will put the team on his back & go clutchtastic killer to seal/winthe game. And then again & again & later & you'll think "GODDAMM I'M GLAD WE GOT A COLD BLOODED KILLER ON THIS TEAM!!!!"

Old
02-22-2011, 12:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
People love role players in retrospect. When the team is losing and is average at best night after night because of them, the tone is usually different.

It's pretty hypocritical if you think about to champion these guys who are average league-wide, then bash management for delivering a average league-wide team.
And in New York, we absolutely love the hard-working role players.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:59 AM
17futurecap

MSG is going to be nuts Wednesday night.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:02 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Totally understand your concerns, BB. It would be like if we shipped Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Girardi out in some deal for a couple great players. Yeah, it's great to upgrade the team, but we gave up our guys that we loved.

Hopefully Melo tears **** up and everything is gravy.
See I'd consider the players to equal more like Boyle, girardi, Prust, & MDZ

Old
02-22-2011, 01:04 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
MSG is going to be nuts Wednesday night.
Omg yes

Hope Melo drops 50 as welcome present

Old
02-22-2011, 01:06 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

It's pretty hypocritical to champion these guys who are average league-wide, then bash management for delivering a average league-wide team.
But Isiah and Dolan didn't deliver an average league-wide team with likable guys. The Knicks were a laughing stock, and Isiah and Dolan further dug us into the trenches. You can say what you want about Sather, but Isiah WISHES he could be Sather, and that's all I'll say about how "highly" I think of Thomas. If we were seeing a .500 team that worked hard I wouldn't have a problem, but Thomas and Dolan turned a respectable franchise into a disgrace.

The day Donnie Walsh took over as GM and D'antoni took over the bench I could say I was a Knick fan again. As an 18 year old, all the friends around me had already taken to bandwagoning the Lakers and Celtics. The team of Gallo and Felton, with Stat, helped bring respectability back to the Garden, and it's hard to see them go after finally being able to watch the team and call myself a Knick fan without being laughed at.

Yes, i'm very excited to see what Melo can do. I like the other acquisitions, like Billups and Brewer, too. But to see Dolan have such a hand in it gave me PTSD flashbacks, if you know what I mean.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Marc Staal

You can tell by the adding of Mozgov and the future picks given it was Isiah. Just reaks of him lol. Donnie would have called their bluff but it is what it is.

However, im ok with the deal..steep but the team is better. Still need a big man and bench but the main thing is, role players will be lining up to come here for less. Checked ticket prices for Wed...250 min lol. Garden will be poppin.

Also...CAA better have GUARENTEED CP3/Deron in 2012 with the way we helped their client have his cake and eat it too.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:16 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
if only the rangers got this lucky

Old
02-22-2011, 01:21 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Basketball is a strange thing where you can trade 4 of 5 starters. One player in hockey isn't worth that much. I guess since you have 2-3x as many players, their impact is lessened. Or an NBA all star's impact is 2-3x more. Glad it's finally over!

Old
02-22-2011, 01:43 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Prediction: Mike D'Antoni doesn't last through next season.

Stars alone don't win anything in the NBA. You need a deep bench and you need great team defense, particularly under the hoop. The Knicks have neither.

Closed Thread